Home U.S. Coin Forum

2019 Apollo 11 50th Anniversary Commemoratives (19C[A-H], B49296, B49297, B15054, 19XA1, 19XA2)

Comments

• BackroadJunkieBackroadJunkie Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@privatecoin said:
    Now I need to buy some more Kennedy sets so I will have examples of both. :*

likewise.....ordered a "handful" more. My first batch is in the mail & not subject to a recall. Funny thing, no blurb about a "back order" for the sets that I just purchased!!!!

Y'all realize it's only the sleeve, right? And replacement sleeves will be available. The replacement sleeve should be identical to the one on the refurbished units.

(If they replace the defective sleeves on the product with corrected ones, then it's refurbished, right? :smile: )

@Hemispherical said:

@BackroadJunkie said:
    “Plans to reprint sleeves with the correct information are underway. Instructions for ordering corrected sleeves will be made available at a later date.”

Hoping the corrected sleeves will be free and with free shipping.

The last time I remember something like this happening, it was an error on a silver set CoA, and they just mailed new CoA's out to everyone. It's not like they don't know who ordered the set and how many they ordered.

Don't know why they wouldn't do that again...

Yay! My silver dollars and half sets shipped! (Actually label created...) So all my half sets should be defective half sets. Happy day! :wink:

They should arrive next month. Now the only things outstanding is the single puck and the print...

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,503 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jabba said:

@BackroadJunkie said:
    And I still got nuthin'. Dollars haven't even shipped yet. They better not backorder the two half sets in that order.

At least my brown box order of 2 half sets are on the way. Oh, my Jefferson Medal (separate order) is scheduled to arrive next month the same day as the half sets.

On the brighter side, getting the product late means you don't have to post pictures! :D

I don’t think they are shipping any of the halves 2pc set until the cover error has been fixed

They shipped 70,000 of the sets, so this is not true

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still waiting here.....

• HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 30, 2019 6:00AM

Technology is both good and bad. The immediate notification.

Received text and the results, “Severe weather conditions have delayed delivery.”

:o

At least it is NOT in Memphis. :)

Edit to add: Eerily similar to what happened with the AI’s last month. Oh well. :)

@Hemispherical said:
    Technology is both good and bad. The immediate notification.

Received text and the results, “Severe weather conditions have delayed delivery.”

:o

At least it is NOT in Memphis. :)

Edit to add: Eerily similar to what happened with the AI’s last month. Oh well. :)

If you haven't read the Cold Outside thread, USPS has suspended operations in several states. It's -20F here right now.

My UPS package is still scheduled for today. We'll see...

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

As expected, the Kennedy Half sets are in "backordered" status now.

@Sweetpie said:

I wonder how many are left. There were less than 30,000. I would expect these to sell out first.

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm in, my set shipped.
    This is the stuff that drives me crazy. In my humble opinion the set is not complete without both 'sleeves'

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • dmwestdmwest Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Sweetpie said:

I wonder how many are left. There were less than 30,000. I would expect these to sell out first.

The pucks had less than 40k on Sunday.....if the pucks ain't first it's last(TN)...I mean it's second to sell out....

Don't quote me on that.

• BigABigA Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't decided whether to get both coins graded or just the Kennedy....I think the Apollo clad half will be a loser but maybe with the "set" label it will have some value....thinking.....

@leo38cheng said:
    New to the forum -- I agree the 5oz puck's design is amazing and given the size - it def makes a good center piece / conversational item in the office

welcome aboard

• Thanks!

• KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leo38cheng said:
    New to the forum -- I agree the 5oz puck's design is amazing and given the size - it def makes a good center piece / conversational item in the office

This is an interesting observation. I really don't see most (if any) of my coins as display pieces, especially in a non-numismatic environment. However, the 5 ounce flying saucer might be an exception.

If I find myself with an extra one (such as by winning PF's contest ;) ) I might consider making one a display piece.

It might be a good idea for anyone thinking of using one as a paperweight or otherwise displaying it to pick up some extra capsules. With all the people getting theirs slabbed there should be some unwanted ones floating around. One that is left out on display might inevitably pick up some scratches or even cracks on the plastic, so having some extra capsules in reserve might be a good idea.

It might be a good idea for anyone thinking of using one as a paperweight or otherwise displaying it to pick up some extra capsules. With all the people getting theirs slabbed there should be some unwanted ones floating around. One that is left out on display might inevitably pick up some scratches or even cracks on the plastic, so having some extra capsules in reserve might be a good idea.

Actually, you can buy sheets of screen protectors that people use for phones or tablets. If you cut circles out of these and put them on the capsule, you can always remove and replace the protective sheet if they get damaged.

You could do the same thing with slabbed coins if you want to avoid scuffs on the slab.

• planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

@Sweetpie said:

I have five in hand and really like them. I'm looking through them now to screen them for grading. Just ordered ten more -- but should I expect to ever see them?

Another question about PCGS grading on this set. While the Kennedy half is unique to the set, the Apollo half is not. Will PCGS have a special designation for Apollo halves in this set? If so, will I need to send in the sealed, original brown box to get that designation? (I'm really not interested in it, but I imagine buyers might be.)

@BackroadJunkie That freezing cold must have missed my shipment. Whew! Arrived as scheduled! Wow!

The first day order consisted of PF gold, pucks, PF $1s, and Kennedy/Apollo sets (with the typo) and there was bubble wrap in the shipping box... THAT, in of itself, is a double wow.

@RichR, I agree, it would have been nice to have something on the felt cover of the puck.

Spent all this $ and might as well spend a bit more and as @BigA mentioned now it is time decide what to slab.

Welcome to the forum @leo38cheng!

@planetsteve said:

@Sweetpie said:

Another question about PCGS grading on this set. While the Kennedy half is unique to the set, the Apollo half is not. Will PCGS have a special designation for Apollo halves in this set? If so, will I need to send in the sealed, original brown box to get that designation? (I'm really not interested in it, but I imagine buyers might be.)

Thus my question above about the "set" designation on the Apollo half from the set....worth it or not?

ATS is attributing both coins as from the set if sent in unopened Mint shipping boxes. Otherwise the half can just be sent...

@planetsteve said:

You will have to prove it is from the set (I would call to verify what is needed) and I tried to look it up but there are already 61 variations listed and the pop has five (5) PF70s listed. This is just for the 50c.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/2019-s-50c-apollo-11-50th-anniversary-dc/697686

• planetsteveplanetsteve Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭✭

61 variations... wow. Thanks for that link @Hemispherical . I was also wondering about the “Earth Rising” label... sounds like a simple phone call is in order once I decide on coins to submit. Thanks also @BigA ; makes sense that a brown-box submission will prolly be required.

@BigA said:

@planetsteve said:

@Sweetpie said:

Thus my question above about the "set" designation on the Apollo half from the set....worth it or not?

ATS is attributing both coins as from the set if sent in unopened Mint shipping boxes. Otherwise the half can just be sent...

Yes, Both capsule can be opened, so the Mint shipping box has to remain sealed to prove provenance.

Is it worth it? Won't the slab cost more than the coin?

I did get my clad BBHoF coins slabbed, and got a pair of 70's, but otherwise, aren't clads usually harshly graded?

My gold/pucks arrived, but I'm going to wait a few hours before opening to prevent condensation from forming...

edited January 30, 2019 1:31PM

Yup....but the set of two NGC 70's are being bought now for $189 from MCM and the Apollo half isn't even attributed as being from the set

I would think the set designation would be preferable...

Pucks coming tomorrow,,,,half sets on Monday

• SweetpieSweetpie Posts: 466 ✭✭✭

or maybe PCGS can do something liked this:

@BigA said:

Yup....but the set of two NGC 70's are being bought now for $189 from MCM and the Apollo half isn't even attributed as being from the set

I would think the set designation would be preferable...

Problem with that, is you have to submit sight unseen. I hate doing that.

If the backordered pucks don't arrive by like day 21, I may submit mine for ER/FS, in which case, I need to decide if I'm going to submit the entire set.

The Mint needs to get off their butt and get those pucks out and save me the trouble...

I'm wondering > @BackroadJunkie said:

The Mint needs to get off their butt and get those pucks out and save me the trouble...

I look at everything I submit to make sure it's worth the submission price.....

Don't quote me on that.

@dmwest said:
    I'm wondering > @BackroadJunkie said:

I look at everything I submit to make sure it's worth the submission price.....

Was there a question?

I know ATS is strict, not sure about our hosts, but if you want lineage on the label, you have to submit in a sealed Mint package, or open the package in front of PCGS, like at a show. (I think you can do that.)

I'd like to look at the coins before too, but at least it's not like the ASE 25th sets where you're submitting 25 coins, sight unseen, in a huge flippin' box... But I digress...

So yeah, if I do submit, I'll have two half-sets in a sealed Mint package.

I will probably submit my 10 sets then....sight unseen...I do think the set designation on the Apollo half will add to it's value..

...and re: the two coin slab..looks cool but it could be kinda lame to have two different grades in there...I've got a couple of the 20th Annie three coin ASE set in one three coin holder but the grades are consistent..one threesome is 69..one is 70

• SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know how metals (silver, gold, etc.) react to sub-zero temperatures? I was just wondering if there could be unseen damage to the coins if they were exposed to these temperatures some way. My luck they would probably slip off the delivery vehicle some way!

• 3stars3stars Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoundPoint said:
    Does anyone know how metals (silver, gold, etc.) react to sub-zero temperatures? I was just wondering if there could be unseen damage to the coins if they were exposed to these temperatures some way. My luck they would probably slip off the delivery vehicle some way!

I get deliveries at 40 below all the time with no issues. Just let them adjust to room temperature so that you don't get condensation on the outer capsule (capsules are tight enough that you don't have to worry about any getting on the coin unless the capsule has opened during shipping).

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoundPoint said:

I don't think the cold will hurt them, especially since that guarantees a dry environment. The reacclimation process might be different, though. Hopefully they will warm up in a dry environment.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of the big boy dealers are now selling their presale Apollo 11 coins!

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/tags/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-commemorative-coin-program/

• KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well got my last order today. Let’s see if Apollo can outlast the Palladium in mint processing time 😂

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

edited January 30, 2019 4:00PM

@Gluggo said:

https://www.moderncoinmart.com/tags/apollo-11-50th-anniversary-commemorative-coin-program/

I noticed the Apollo 11 mission patches. Are those part of the buy? Did not see it mentioned in the description.

Edit: Nevermind, I did not read for enough.

https://coinweek.com/bullion-report/iran-executes-sultan-of-coins-for-hoarding-gold-coins/

@Gluggo said:

I didn’t see the 5 Oz puck on there...did I miss it? Wonder why they don’t have those...

Don't quote me on that.

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gluggo said:

I knew the moon was made of cheese. Thanks to MCM I now know it's made of blue cheese.

@SoundPoint said:

Nope. No worries. They may shrink by a few ten-thousandths of an inch, but they'll come back just fine.

My concern was possible condensation on the metal if I open all the packaging up to oogle the coins (-15 and dry to 65 and relatively moist), so I'm just letting the package sit for a few hours before I open it.

Just got off the phone inquiring about the 2-coin sets. Made for bulk submitters. Oh well, back to the original plan... which is no plan, yet.

• PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got my pucks and gold proof today. Pucks are impressive. Not sure if I should get them slabbed.

• TetromibiTetromibi Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭

Got one puck, 5 half sets, and a gold proof today.

Didn’t know what to expect from the puck, but I love it. Will definitely keep one after seeing in hand.

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BackroadJunkie said:
    My gold/pucks arrived, but I'm going to wait a few hours before opening to prevent condensation from forming...

@3stars said:

Just let them adjust to room temperature so that you don't get condensation on the outer capsule

I didn't know anyone else did that! I always let them acclimate before opening just so there isn't a chance of condensation too! I was wondering if this cold snap would have an affect on the coins in transit, but lack of bubble wrap is a worse offender.

• GluggoGluggo Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mine is still in Mint Limbo. Shipped January 25th but the Package NEVER MADE IT TO THE POST OFFICE. I think it’s their way of saying sorry were out but don’t worry it will be coming! :#:#

• jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Mint really doesn't help matters by having two sizes of silver "dollars". Are they that psychotic? Did anyone ever hear their explanation for this moronic nomenclature?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.

@Onastone said:

@BackroadJunkie said:

@3stars said:

Just let them adjust to room temperature so that you don't get condensation on the outer capsule

I didn't know anyone else did that! I always let them acclimate before opening just so there isn't a chance of condensation too! I was wondering if this cold snap would have an affect on the coins in transit, but lack of bubble wrap is a worse offender.

It come from the computer industry. All electronics should be brought up to ambient temperature before unpacking. Still do it with computers, disk drives, etc.

I wouldn't doubt it helps trip those moisture sensors in Apple products.

Of course, electronics is a lot more robust these days, but that doesn't mean you should take some due diligence...

@jmski52 said:
    The Mint really doesn't help matters by having two sizes of silver "dollars". Are they that psychotic? Did anyone ever hear their explanation for this moronic nomenclature?

And again, someone is blaming the Mint for following the Law. The $1 5oz dollar is part of the legislation driving these commems. From Public Law 114–282, 114th Congress:

(4) PROOF SILVER $1 COINS.—Not more than 100,000 proof $1 silver coins which shall—
    (A) weigh 5 ounces;
    (B) be struck on a planchet having a diameter of 3 inches; and
    (C) contain .999 fine silver.

Stop blaming the Mint for things beyond their control. Put the blame where it belongs. On Congress.

The reason is probably the same reason the ATB pucks are a quarter. You should ask the author of the bill...

I finally got around to inspecting the coins. They even made the CoA cool with a shiny Moon and title, lol.

The relief on the gold is pretty low, so the proof makes it more visually appealing. And well, shiny. And tiny. :smile:

They wouldn't feel so tiny if the other coins in the box weren't pucks. The size of the puck just eclipses the gold.

It's an impressive hunk of silver, though. I will bet some of the ATB pucks would have looked spectacular in proof, or enhanced proof. If I have any complaint, it's they should have added a bit more detail to the larger canvas like they do with the ATB's.

No wait, I have another complaint. Could they have made the packaging any larger? :smile: (See size of ATB 5oz packaging for comparison.)

Here's a thought. I will bet all the proof coins (sans the Kennedy) will fit in the 5oz box. Offer us an insert that has four holes the size of the four denominations to make a proof set. (Or the 5oz coin and an uncirc set.)

OR

If a puck slab will fit in the box, the TPG's should offer an insert to hold the slab in the box... :D

So far I'm impressed. I will need to see them next to the other coins in the set. I'm not saying the design is the best (I would still rate the BBHoF coins above the Apollo coins), but the coins are visually striking, especially the puck....

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file