Home Sports Talk

NFL Play-offs, WildCard round/pick the winner and discuss.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 5, 2019 10:02PM in Sports Talk

I thought it was a pretty good season. As a Cleveland Browns fan it was especially satisfying to be able to watch every Sunday with an expectation of winning, of actually being the better Team on the field. I thought there were several weeks with some compelling match-ups and the way things ended on Week 17 was perfectly scripted --- the late games held suspense and the last spot at the "Dance" came out of the very last game. The scheduler(s) really planned it well!!!

So now we head to the play-off round and the WildCard games. We all have our favorites and there are, again, some compelling match-ups and even some re-matches from the regular season. Those are always interesting. Let's pick the winners and say why, I'll start. Then we can get into the ForumFistFight as the weekend approaches and move on to the next round.

Al H.

Indianapolis Colts vs. Houston Texans. ---- Houston because of home field.

Seattle Seahawks vs. Dallas Cowboys --- Dallas mainly because of Dak Prescott and a healthy, rested Zeke Elliot.

LA Chargers vs. Baltimore Ravens --- this may be the best WildCard game. If the Chargers have paid attention they'll "stack the box" and force Jackson to pass, then let Phillip Rivers pass them to victory.

Philadelphia Eagles vs. Chicago Bears --- Philly has surged but 'Da Bears are back. How can I not roote for my homeboy, Mitch Trubisky!!??!!

Comments

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the matchup I'm most looking forward to is Colts-Texans. I think I'm going to take the surging
    Colts to win it although it won't be easy. I'm just not going to pick against Andrew Luck in the first round.

I'm going to pick Ravens over Chargers, seems Rivers has been struggling lately and I think the Ravens
    will come up with a game plan to stifle the Chargers passing game. Chiefs had to play the Ravens and
    that is one very talented defense.

I'll pass on picking winners in NFC, but will be watching with much interest. Would kind of like to see
    Eagles win, hard not to be a fan of Nick Foles.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 9:07AM

This may sound like cliche picks but I like the home teams in all 4 games. Dallas,Chicago,Baltimore & Houston all have really good defenses,strong run games and have the benefit of playing at home.
    If I had to pick an upset from this group I'd say maybe the Chargers who tied with the Saints for the best road record this season at 7-1 and have the most experienced QB playing that weekend.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wild Card weekend usually produces some real beat downs. Vegas thinks the games will be close

Cowboys by 2.5
    Texans by 2.5
    Chargers by 2.5
    Bears by 6

I like the Bears, Chargers, Seahawks and Colts to advance. I like the Bears the best against the spread.

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • I can see Seattle and Indy winning on the road. Seattle has more playoff savvy and I don’t quite buy into what Dallas has been doing lately. Cooper has suddenly disappeared for Dallas and they’ll need to have him play at a high level to keep pace.

Indy has been very hot and resilient. The Texans couldn’t stop Luck the last time they played each other and Hilton owns that building, always putting up monster stats against the Texans. The Colts run D hasn’t allowed a 100 yard rusher all season. I see them handling the Texans, despite a terrific effort from Watson.

I love the Nick Foles story, but Chicago at home is going to be really tough. I don’t see Philly pulling this one out. The injury Foles sustained is bruised ribs, but I sense he’ll be hurting throughout this game with the Bears D
    swarming.

Baltimore gave the Chargers fits last time they played. Call it a gut feeling, but I think the Chargers figure it out this time.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Methinks the browns would be in the playoffs if they had fired some bum sooner.

can't pick against the colts they are on fire. Hoping for good things out of Andrew Luck but I like Houston so I won't be upset if either team wins.

Dallas because Seattle is only Russell Wilson at this point. Who I like but they need to rebuild around him before he dies of old age.

Always liked the chargers , I like Rivers so picking them. Don't like Baltimore purely because of that mumbling murderous idiot boo hiss.

Picking Philly to win another Superbowl now that they have a QB. It will be fun to Watch steve still claim Wentz should start even after Foles puts another SB notch in his belt.

I know I'm a pats fan but they are the worst 2 seed I can remember . At the end so many other teams went into freefall that was responsible for them getting home field which they desperately need. The playoffs is not going to be against the jets and buffalo though they can't stop anyone.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Dallas, Indy, Baltimore and Chicago

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dallas loses then fires the coach. Houston easily handles the Colts. Chargers win a close one. Foles is truly a magician as he leads the Eagles to another playoff victory.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

@Brick said:
    Dallas loses then fires the coach. Houston easily handles the Colts. Chargers win a close one. Foles is truly a magician as he leads the Eagles to another playoff victory.

Fire Jason Garrett when he just made his first head coach decision in 8 years as HC with that two point conversion to win yesterday's game? ;)

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indianapolis Colts vs. Houston Texans. ---- Houston because of home field. I agree

Seattle Seahawks vs. Dallas Cowboys --- Dallas mainly because of Dak Prescott and a healthy, rested Zeke Elliot. This might be the big upset. The Cowboys really are not that good, and Pete Carol is got the Seahawks going. If this game were in Seattle I would take the Seahawks in a hearbeat. I think that Seatte will pull the upset.

LA Chargers vs. Baltimore Ravens --- this may be the best WildCard game. If the Chargers have paid attention they'll "stack the box" and force Jackson to pass, the let Phillip Rivers pass them to victory. **Since the game is in Baltimore, I'll give the Ravens the edge. LA never seems to be able to win the big one, and the Ravens are surging. **

Philadelphia Eagles vs. Chicago Bears --- Philly has surged but 'Da Bears are back. How can I not roote for my homeboy, Mitch Trubisky!!??!! The Eagles have looked a lot better at the end of season with Nick Foles at the helm. Still the Bears have the offense and great defense on their home turf. I'll take the Bears although, as a Eagles fan, I'd like ot see them continue.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

I watched the Dallas game yesterday and continue to struggle with understanding the nuances of the rules. this time it was that last TD which was a magnificent play, I called it over the phone to my son who was coming to watch the Brownies. here is my afterthought --- why are two feet required but only one knee??

in that game I was wondering what would happen each time the Cowboys were on Offense. Dak Prescott looked wholly inept for one series and then made some fabulous throws the next. it was a fun game and I wish I could have been a fly on Dimeman's wall!!!

to Bronco --- even though Cleveland lost, I thought it was an enjoyable game and a nice season. it is funny how things work out and I am in disbelief when I read that the Browns are actually entertaining the thought of interviewing for the HC job. they need to settle that question by staying with what they have and focusing 100% on the draft. top of the list --- get the best Kicker they can even if it means trading picks. with a kicker this year the Browns would have beaten New Orleans, Pittsburgh and the Ravens and been 10-6 or better if you consider that the Referees stole the Oakland game.

though the Browns aren't in the Playoffs I think there strategy will be when it comes to playing the Ravens. loading up the box to stop the run and forcing Jackson to win with his arm is a formula for success.

I also think the Bears are headed for the promised land.

I think after the Jesse James overturned game winning TD vs NE last season, the owners changed the rules so that plays like that Beasley TD were considered a reception. IIRC the James TD got overturned for not surviving to the ground before the ball broke loose and with the Beasley catch he did survive to the ground when his knee downed it before the ball broke loose.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@keets ....The knee is a down requirement. The 2 feet is an inbound requirement.

Jon, I'm not looking for an argument so let's not have one.

we are in muddy water when they are checking to see if he landed in-bounds. that was what they were checking, to see if he landed in-bounds or if his elbow hit out-of-bounds. as I said, only one knee but two feet which is peculiar to me, it would be logical to expect one knee and then some other body part. like I said, the rules are so confusing to me anymore that I can't enjoy games when the refs take over.

watching that Browns game was another example --- when Jackson fumbled at the goal and the Browns recovered I screamed at the TV for the player to continue across the other goal line for continuation of the play. but.......................the whistle overrules everything, even a mistake by Referees that costs a Team a Touchdown, and another Team a spot in the playoffs.

where is the Rules Committee on stuff like this?? games are riding on things that should change. another one that might change is the end-zone fumble that gives the ball to the defense at the 20 yard line. the Rules Committee can change things. an example of a recent change is on a kick-off when the ball lands in the end-zone: that used to be a live ball that the kicking Team could recover. not anymore, the receiving Team just walks away and the Ref signals down ball, touchback.

if only one knee is needed to be in-bounds then only one foot should be needed, like College. with all the endline/goalline/football move/ball allowed to contact the ground as long as the guy is holding it changes, well, the game is hard to keep up with and the refs to have too much say.

that was a fabulous catch!!

No argument here. I was just pointing out the difference and yet again you were not paying attention. Let's try it in slomo.

2 feet have to come down in bounds to make a catch!

This was a catch.....the determining factor is where did he go down. A knee or elbow touching and you are down.

The knee touched in the endzone…….thus it was a TD! Please tell me that you understand. PLEASE!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 31, 2018 3:04PM

Unlike the Dez Bryant incompletion, that one was a catch under the current rules.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keets: facts are not arguements. Just cause you may not like to hear them. The knee is a down requirement. The two feet is an inbound requirement. That's in the rule book and is not open to your wild interpretation.

@grote15 said:
    Unlike the Dez Bryant incompletion, that one was a catch under the current rules.

There is NO debating this catch. It was just a matter of where he went down. It was clear in slomo, but not so clear in game speed. I can see hoe the ref missed it in real time.

And the Dez catch was a catch …… turn....run and fumble and recovery by him!!!

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

There is NO debating this catch. It was just a matter of where he went down. It was clear in slomo, but not so clear in game speed. I can see hoe the ref missed it in real time.

You agree with the call only if it's in Dallas's favor, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

@grote15 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

You agree with the call only if it's in Dallas's favor, lol..

That's not true and you know it. I don't like bad calls no matter who they are for or against.

• Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indianapolis Colts vs. Houston Texans - INDY Entering the playoffs white hot. Superior QB
    Seattle Seahawks vs. Dallas Cowboys - SEATTLE Best running game in the NFL, and a much superior QB
    Chargers vs. Baltimore Ravens - RAVENS Defense alone
    Philadelphia Eagles vs. Chicago Bears - DA BEARS Home field and nasty Defense

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

@Dave99B said:
    Indianapolis Colts vs. Houston Texans - INDY Entering the playoffs white hot. Superior QB
    Seattle Seahawks vs. Dallas Cowboys - SEATTLE Best running game in the NFL, and a much superior QB
    Chargers vs. Baltimore Ravens - RAVENS Defense alone
    Philadelphia Eagles vs. Chicago Bears - DA BEARS Home field and nasty Defense

I'll give you the edge on QB, but Zeke beats your runner hands down.

edited January 1, 2019 8:33PM

@Dimeman said: I'll give you the edge on QB, but Zeke beats your runner hands down.

Zeke's one hell of a RB, and he really gashed Seattle last time. But it's actually fairly close at RB. Seattle has a 3-headed monster. The Boys have Zeke. Close to a push.

Edge at QB? Geez, these two QBs are not even in the same hemisphere. Hands down Wilson.

Should be one hell of a game!

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.

@Dave99B said:
    @Dimeman said: I'll give you the edge on QB, but Zeke beats your runner hands down.

Zeke's one hell of a RB, and he really gashed Seattle last time. But it's actually fairly close at RB. Seattle has a 3-headed monster. The Boys have Zeke. Close to a push.

Edge at QB? Geez, these two QBs are not even in the same hemisphere Hands down Wilson.

Should be one hell of a game!

Edge :D to Wilson ? Russell wilson is light years better than Dak Prescott . Wilson has no faults and hes won a superbowl , he is proven in playoff situations. What has Dak accomplished?

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Russell Wilson's stupid face had to be on my box of Wheaties the morning after Seattle beat the Chiefs.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Updated lines

Seattle favored by 1.5
    Ravens favored by 2
    Colts favored by 1.5
    Bears favored by 6

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    edited January 1, 2019 3:55PM

@Dave99B said:

Actually Seattle has the edge in the running game. They rank #1 in the NFL at 160 yards per game running the ball. Dallas ranks #10 in rushing at 122 yards per game

Should be a great game

m

edited January 1, 2019 2:57PM

hey guys, calm down because it was a catch and I know it, and a good one at that. I only expressed confusion as to why the rules are the way they are, they don't seem logical or to make sense. two feet, why?? it has been that way forever and it doesn't make sense to me as to why a foot or feet are different than any other body part. rules are always being re-evaluated and changed but never that one. one foot needs to be the rule.

the NCAA has the one foot/two feet rule right but they have the one wrong where a player is down if he hits the ground without being touched. that one is ridiculous and the NFL has it right.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Colts,Cowboys,Chargers, Eagles

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like 2 underdogs for sure.
    Always a few upsets in the first week.
    Colts and Seahawks.

I'm rooting for the Eagles but the Bears will win.
    I'm also rooting for the Chargers but this game is too close to call.
    But if pushes I'll take the Chargers.
    So 3 underdogs will cover the spread.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
    edited January 2, 2019 11:03AM

@2dueces said:
    I like 2 underdogs for sure.
    Always a few upsets in the first week.
    Colts and Seahawks.

I'm rooting for the Eagles but the Bears will win.
    I'm also rooting for the Chargers but this game is too close to call.
    But if pushes I'll take the Chargers.
    So 3 underdogs will cover the spread.

why will the bears win? Does anyone on the team have playoff experience? Eagles just won it they have a huge edge in experience. They had an unfortunate regular season but everyone has an 0-0 record now

Nick Foles/Philly worries me.

Dave

@Dave99B said:
    Nick Foles/Philly worries me.

Dave

I know I don't want to face them and have to beat them for the 3rd time this season! ;)

Current odds

Texans by 1
    Ravens by 3
    Cowboys by 2
    Bears by 6

Could be a great weekend

m

it WILL be a great weekend because the games won't be on ESPN.

@Justacommeman said:
    Current odds

Texans by 1
    Ravens by 3
    Cowboys by 2
    Bears by 6

Could be a great weekend

m

What caused the change from Seattle by 1.5 to Dallas by 2? Do we get to use Brady for the weekend?? ;):oB)

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Current odds

Texans by 1
    Ravens by 3
    Cowboys by 2
    Bears by 6

Could be a great weekend

m

What caused the change from Seattle by 1.5 to Dallas by 2? Do we get to use Brady for the weekend?? ;):oB)

<<< What caused the change from Seattle by 1.5 to Dallas by 2? >>>

More gamblers betting the game flipped heads for Dallas versus tails for Seattle, and so the line moved. ;)

BTW: that post stating "Seattle favored by 1.5" was incorrect - should have stated Dallas instead of Seattle.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

i've mulled these games over all week and have vacillated so many times that i feel my brain starting to ooze from my ears. imo, a legit case can be made for all 8 teams finding a path to victory. due to the uncertainty, i think it's going to be an epic weekend of football. now for some predictions sure to go wrong...

Colts n Texans -- i wouldn't bet my worst enemy's illegal money on this game. both reg season games were decided by a field goal, and i predict more of the same in the rubber match. if Houston's o-line can keep Deshaun upright and their d can -- for once -- prevent T.Y. Hilton from looking like a first-ballot guy, my gut says the Texans will pull this one out at home.

Chargers n Ravens -- L Jacks has been a great story, but it just feels like it's Rivers time. at 37, if not now, when? i think LA will sell out to force Lamar to unload the ball, and that will ultimately be the difference in the game. Chargers move on.

Seahawks n Cowboys -- this game may be over in 2 hours. a hell of a lot of running, and i think the total will go under. it may actually come down to which QB makes the play of the game, and if that holds true, i'm taking Russell over Dak every day of the leap year and twice on Feb. 29. there will be an abundance of cap letters and exclamation points after the Seahawks leave Jerry World victorious.

Eagles n Bears -- one of two things is going to happen: Chicago's D is going to put a vise grip on Saint Nick, or he's going to continue to wield his magic wand. i'm not gonna lie, i'm scared. the defending champs have experienced a renaissance and are playing with house money. and as far as i'm concerned, they now have the right guy behind center. i sure hope i don't have to change my av again. i don't think i'll have to. Bears win.

Wow....yes, it’s early, but Indy is absolutely abusing the Texans.

Dave

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sit down to enjoy an interesting game, and turns into a boring Indy blow-out. Time to watch the news. Houston is playing a poorly planned dull game. :(

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,349 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yea Houston looks terrible

edited January 5, 2019 4:14PM

Texans may be one of the weakest divisional winners of all time. Soft schedule is the main reason they are even in the playoffs.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

what's an antonym for epic?

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Current odds

Texans by 1
    Ravens by 3
    Cowboys by 2
    Bears by 6

Could be a great weekend

m

More gamblers betting the game flipped heads for Dallas versus tails for Seattle, and so the line moved. ;)

BTW: that post stating "Seattle favored by 1.5" was incorrect - should have stated Dallas instead of Seattle.

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Justacommeman said:
    Current odds

Texans by 1
    Ravens by 3
    Cowboys by 2
    Bears by 6

Could be a great weekend

m

Actually Seattle opened up as a 1.5 pt favorite > @galaxy27 said:

what's an antonym for epic?

Poop the bed?

m

edited January 5, 2019 4:59PM

@grote15 said:
    Texans may be one of the weakest divisional winners of all time. Soft schedule is the main reason they are even in the playoffs.

They had the same schedule as the Colts aside from two games:
    Texans had: Denver 6-10 & Cleveland 7-8-1
    Colts had: Cincinnati 6-10 & Oakland 4-12

Both faced: AFCS,AFCE & NFCE

edited January 5, 2019 5:04PM

Looks like Indy has this win so NE would face the winner of the Chargers-Ravens game tomorrow.

@erikthredd said:

@grote15 said:

I was just never impressed with Houston this season and am not surprised they are getting schooled at home. Luck and Indy are on a roll.

@grote15 said:

@erikthredd said:

@grote15 said:

I was just never impressed with Houston this season and am not surprised they are getting schooled at home. Luck and Indy are on a roll.

Gotcha, I just didn't want NE facing them because the Pats defense can't stop mobile QBs.

How did Leonard not make the Pro Bowl? He’s the best player on the field most of the time.

m

@Justacommeman said:
    How did Leonard not make the Pro Bowl? He’s the best player on the field most of the time.

m

He made first team All-Pro though

edited January 5, 2019 5:28PM

@erikthredd said:

@Justacommeman said:

m

He made first team All-Pro though

Weird right? Wonder if that’s ever happened before

m