Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL Play-offs, WildCard round/pick the winner and discuss.

Comments

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, the only game I had a chance to watch was the Chargers vs. the Ravens and it turned out like an old smash mouth NFL defensive battle. neither Team showed much offense and the Chargers won because they made less mistakes.

for Baltimore, Jackson made a few nice runs and even a few nice passes at the end of the game, but they rely on him for too much of their total offense. his flaws were really highlighted. he hasn't yet developed as a reliable passer and if he's forced back in the pocket he tends to panic. add is sloppy ball handling and we get todays game. he'll be good someday, but against the playoff Teams I think we saw what we'll get.

the Chargers used some smart defense to stop the run-game and force Jackson to pass, a winning formula that the Browns tried last week but didn't have the personnel to pull off. both Teams really forced the game to be played at the line of scrimmage and that allowed Rivers to have an edge. neither Team really did much and I hate Field Goals, the Chargers did just enough and had field position to make some kicks.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I went 2 for 2 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 of 4 road teams win this weekend.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

I really thought Chicago and Baltimore were going to advance, I really don’t care regardless but I will say that Chicago should be there again next year, especially if they get another WR and another OL.

• Options

if you look at where Chicago had been the past several years there should be nothing but optimism in this off-season. like you said, a few additions and some minor changes along with experience gained this year should position the Bears nicely in 2019.

I think the next few years in the NFL will bring some really big shifts in power. look at what happened in Denver when Manning retired, they're still trying to recover. three Teams come to mind that might suffer that same fate --- Pittsburgh, New England and New Orleans. when their HOF QB's hang 'em up, who steps in and where do they end up?? maybe the Team that has the best future is Seattle if they pick up a few guys and several other Teams who have already found their QB and are already building around him. Chicago looks like they might be one of those Teams.

it seems to me that 15-20 Teams in the NFL are close enough to being in the playoffs that a player or two, maybe the right HC and minor changes could be move them there.

• Options

I was 2-2 with picking in the WildCard round and I thought the games were pretty good. I only wish I could have watched all four.

here's what I think will happen in the Division Round:

Indy vs. KC --- after what Mahomes has done all season, how can I bet against the Chiefs??!!?? their "D" has holes but they just seem to be able to keep scoring so I hope I can watch this one!!

Dallas vs. LA Rams --- if Zeke keeps running well it should be close but I think the Rams are just too good.

LA Chargers vs. New England --- the Patriots are the Patriots, they just seem to be in their element at this time of the season. maybe if the Pats win another Super Bowl it will be enough for Tom Brady to retire. the rest of the NFL can only hope.

Philly vs. New Orleans --- it would be high drama if the Eagles win and actually get one step closer to repeating, after their season so far it would be the stuff of Legend. I think the Saints will win and I see them playing New England in a few more weeks.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm picking KC, Dallas, NE, and......not sure about last one yet. I feel like it is going to be a Dallas vs NE SB and I am just not sure how it will go. Sounds crazy, but maybe.

• Options

KC, Rams, LA, NO. I’m not trying the “SteveK Reverse Reverse Reverse Reverse” jinx either 😅

• Options

hey perk, after that post we may have to get you into Witness Protection!!

• Options

@keets said:
    hey perk, after that post we may have to get you into Witness Protection!!

😳😂😂😂

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Chiefs and NE.

Dallas and Philly .......crazy right....I want a Dallas/Philly NFC Championship with Dallas winning if course. If you're gonna dream.....you might as well go BIG!

A Dallas/NE SB would be great......with Dallas winning of course! :)B)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,727 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:
    Chiefs and NE.

Dallas and Philly .......crazy right....I want a Dallas/Philly NFC Championship with Dallas winning if course. If you're gonna dream.....you might as well go BIG!

A Dallas/NE SB would be great......with Dallas winning of course! :)B)

Be careful what ya wish for..... B)

• Options

@MLBdays said:
    @keets ~Remember when Carolina lost in the SB a few years ago.....tons of optimism the following year or two....& now? I wouldn't bet Bill Gates' money that phat cat QB Cam Newton ever even gets to another SB appearance much less a win. You gotta capitalize when you can.... tho I agree their (Bears) future is bright.

Cam needs to spend more time on his game than his wardrobe!

• Options
    edited January 7, 2019 9:34AM

Agreed, I get it these guys have money but what confuses me is why they have to dress like a complete buffoon? Actors do the same thing, why can’t you be stupid rich and dress normal?

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Agreed, I get it these guys have money but what confuses me is why they have to dress like a complete buffoon? Actors do the same thing, why can’t you be stupid rich and dress normal?

they are surrounded by people who wont tell them the truth

• Options

@perkdog said:

I agree.......I guess they just don't think like us. A lot of them do drugs and kill themselves too. Money sometimes is wasted on the stupid!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I got the Chiefs,Patriots,Cowboys & Saints moving on to Championship game weekend.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭✭

Indy, Dallas, Patriots and Saints

• Options

i initially said the higher seeded teams better watch out, then i waffled like a dope. going with my gut instincts right off the bat in the divisional round.

Saints/Eagles -- i just can't make a case for Philly here. the Saints are stout against the run & the Eagles don't have much of a running game, so i think they will turn one-dimensional-ish very quickly (especially if they fall behind). and seeing as New Orleans will in all likelihood best Chicago's output of 15 points, it's going to require a herculean effort from St. Nick. i personally don't see the magic continuing; the Saints will host the NFC Champ game. btw Brees and Foles went to the same Texas high school.

Rams/Cowboys -- if Dallas is able to control the clock on offense and the D plays up its potential to prevent a track meet from breaking out, they can definitely win. not to mention, there will be an assload of Cowboys fans in the house, which will help nullify the home field advantage. Garrett claps his team to a victory and Dime heads to New Orleans to run down Bourbon Street in his birthday suit!

Chiefs/Colts -- Kansas City O >>>>> Indy O.............Indy D >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kansas City D. If T.Y was 100% (he looked hampered against the Texans), I'd pull the trigger on the Colts. i'm still going to. B) GrandAm gets trashed and drunk dials Darin all night!

Patriots/Chargers -- can't believe i'm about to do this. if what i think is going to happen happens, the ramifications may prove monumental. as difficult as it sometimes is to wrap your mind around something great finally coming to an end, it eventually will. i still think the Pats are a good team, but as a whole i just think the Chargers are better and it's going to show on Sunday. my only reservation is the stunt LA pulled at the end of the game against the Ravens. if they almost made Lamar freaking Jackson look like second coming of Tom Brady with the game on the line, what will they make the actual Tom Brady look like??

did i just predict a Colts n Chargers AFC Championship game? :s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s:s

• Options

I did not mention that it would be a Patriots Cowboys final.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

Who wins? :)B)

• Options

I think I was 3-1 for this weekend. My scorn for the cowboys made me pic against them.

This week I see cowboys winning , goff sucks hes been exposed figured out whatever that thing is over with.

I think chargers beat the patriots , that whole dynasty thing is over.

Eagles win the saints are fading Foles will get it done.

chiefs probably win I hate going against Luck but its at arrowhead

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I'm picking KC, Dallas, NE, and......not sure about last one yet. I feel like it is going to be a Dallas vs NE SB and I am just not sure how it will go. Sounds crazy, but maybe.

KC,Dallas, NE, and Philly

• Options
    edited January 7, 2019 3:34PM

@DIMEMAN it looks like we are thinking the same way, but I have my Pats winning it.

Funny thing is, I grew up in New England. I've been in Texas for the last 15 years and have made the Boys my NFC, non-Pats team to root for. I've been wanting this matchup and I can see it happening!

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it ends up Colts vs Saints in the SB, I'll actually watch a FB game this year.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

Who wins? :)B)

The Patriots naturally!

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

I think I was 3-1 for this weekend. My scorn for the cowboys made me pic against them.

you went 4-0 homie

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    @DIMEMAN it looks like we are thinking the same way, but I have my Pats winning it.

Funny thing is, I grew up in New England. I've been in Texas for 15 the last years and have made the Boys my NFC, non-Pats team to root for. I've been wanting this matchup and I can see it happening!

You gotta do what you gatta do! :) Go Cowboys!!!!!! B)

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Current odds

Chiefs by 5.5
    Rams by 7.0
    Pats by 4.0
    Saints by 8.0

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

4-0 on the dogs last weekend. It was my biggest winning weekend. Cashed all parlays teasers and str8 ups although it was a miracle Back door cover on the Seahawks.
    Here’s my picks for the weekend. ( so far )
    2 team teaser
    Indianapolis +11.5
    Rams -1

2 team teaser
    Chargers +10
    Saints-1

I like the
    Colts +5.5
    Chargers +4

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    4-0 on the dogs last weekend. It was my biggest winning weekend. Cashed all parlays teasers and str8 ups although it was a miracle Back door cover on the Seahawks.
    2 team teaser
    Indianapolis +11.5
    Rams -1

2 team teaser
    Chargers +10
    Saints-1

I like the
    Colts +5.5
    Chargers +4

Nice! Don’t give it all back this weekend 🍻

• Options
    edited January 11, 2019 6:09AM

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:
    2 team teaser
    Indianapolis +11.5
    Rams -1

2 team teaser
    Chargers +10
    Saints-1

I like the
    Colts +5.5
    Chargers +4

Totally agree with that.

I'd take the money and run, before the damn bookies get it back, and then more, as they always eventually will. :p

• Options

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:
    2 team teaser
    Indianapolis +11.5
    Rams -1

2 team teaser
    Chargers +10
    Saints-1

I like the
    Colts +5.5
    Chargers +4

has anyone ever come on and said i bet this and that and lost on everything? :D

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:
    2 team teaser
    Indianapolis +11.5
    Rams -1

2 team teaser
    Chargers +10
    Saints-1

I like the
    Colts +5.5
    Chargers +4

Nobody who was ever smart enough to find a bookie dumb enough to take bets on Monday from games that were already played on Sunday.

BTW: If anyone ever finds a bookie like that, please let us know. We would be forever thankful. 💰

• Options

@2dueces said:
    2 team teaser
    Indianapolis +11.5
    Rams -1

2 team teaser
    Chargers +10
    Saints-1

I like the
    Colts +5.5
    Chargers +4

I don't bet so I don't know much about how everything works. Why are the Colts +11.5

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:
    2 team teaser
    Indianapolis +11.5
    Rams -1

2 team teaser
    Chargers +10
    Saints-1

I like the
    Colts +5.5
    Chargers +4

Usually people like to talk about winning not losing 😂

• Options

@perkdog said:

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

@2dueces said:
    2 team teaser
    Indianapolis +11.5
    Rams -1

2 team teaser
    Chargers +10
    Saints-1

I like the
    Colts +5.5
    Chargers +4

Usually people like to talk about winning not losing 😂

Funny how that works :D . I bet every week this season and long story short , the foreclosure is tomorrow. Posted no one ever

• Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I think this year's final eight is the most open field I ever remember. Starting with the 3 teams that seemed to be the favorites most of the year - Chiefs, Rams and Saints didn't look so dominant the last month. Then you have the Chargers who haven't been spectacular at all, but might be the most balanced team out there. Then the Colts and Cowboys who were simply looking at potential top 10 picks a couple months ago, have just kept on winning. The Eagles who were the biggest disappointment in the NFL until December have that scary feeling of being on a magic carpet ride. The Patriots who haven't consistently resembled a playoff winning team, are exactly where they belong each and every year. I simply would not be surprised if any one of the 8 wins it all. That being said, the Cowboys prolly have the most balanced defense/running game combo. Those are winning ingredients.

• Options

The really kind and considerate bookies, will occasionally invite you their customer down to their beautiful summer home along the sea shore, so you can see where all your money went. They may even act like your best friend and treat you to some clams and beer, that is if you're all paid up. :p

• Options

@lightningboy said:
    I think this year's final eight is the most open field I ever remember. Starting with the 3 teams that seemed to be the favorites most of the year - Chiefs, Rams and Saints didn't look so dominant the last month. Then you have the Chargers who haven't been spectacular at all, but might be the most balanced team out there. Then the Colts and Cowboys who were simply looking at potential top 10 picks a couple months ago, have just kept on winning. The Eagles who were the biggest disappointment in the NFL until December have that scary feeling of being on a magic carpet ride. The Patriots who haven't consistently resembled a playoff winning team, are exactly where they belong each and every year. I simply would not be surprised if any one of the 8 wins it all. That being said, the Cowboys prolly have the most balanced defense/running game combo. Those are winning ingredients.

if you are not a strong fan of one team you can enjoy every one of this weekends games they all seem like they are going to be good

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:
    2 team teaser
    Indianapolis +11.5
    Rams -1

2 team teaser
    Chargers +10
    Saints-1

I like the
    Colts +5.5
    Chargers +4

I don't bet so I don't know much about how everything works. Why are the Colts +11.5

Teaser bets allow you to move the line 6 points in either direction for a 2-game parlay but you must hit both games to win. It seems easy but it's called a teaser bet for a reason, lol..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:
    2 team teaser
    Indianapolis +11.5
    Rams -1

2 team teaser
    Chargers +10
    Saints-1

I like the
    Colts +5.5
    Chargers +4

Teaser bets allow you to move the line 6 points in either direction for a 2-game parlay but you must hit both games to win. It seems easy but it's called a teaser bet for a reason, lol..

I know someone who is jammed for 200K because of teaser bets. His wife will have him tasered in the nether region if she finds out

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:
    2 team teaser
    Indianapolis +11.5
    Rams -1

2 team teaser
    Chargers +10
    Saints-1

I like the
    Colts +5.5
    Chargers +4

I know someone who is jammed for 200K because of teaser bets. His wife will have him tasered in the nether region if she finds out

m

She will find out if the guy can't pay and they come knocking at the door. It certainly won't be a cordial visit.

• Options

@grote15 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:
    2 team teaser
    Indianapolis +11.5
    Rams -1

2 team teaser
    Chargers +10
    Saints-1

I like the
    Colts +5.5
    Chargers +4

Grote is exactly right. And there are other types of teasers as well.

A teaser bet "seems easy" as Grote stated, but they actually have a higher vig than regular betting lines.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:
    2 team teaser
    Indianapolis +11.5
    Rams -1

2 team teaser
    Chargers +10
    Saints-1

I like the
    Colts +5.5
    Chargers +4

m

She will find out if the guy can't pay and they come knocking at the door. It certainly won't be a cordial visit.

He can pay but “sneaking” that money out of the accounts is another matter. Moral of the story these things can unwind fast

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@grote15 said:

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:
    2 team teaser
    Indianapolis +11.5
    Rams -1

2 team teaser
    Chargers +10
    Saints-1

I like the
    Colts +5.5
    Chargers +4

m

He can pay but “sneaking” that money out of the accounts is another matter. Moral of the story these things can unwind fast

m

Playoff football is usually the worst time of the year for this type of predicament.

Those jammed in from the regular season will too often bet big in the playoffs and Super Bowl, "over their heads" so to speak, and try to get even. Doing that can make a bad situation much worse.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vegas wins big when underdogs win. Last weekend was a huge profit for them. Everyone loves favorites. Like a 2-1 horse.
    When I say I bet it’s fun. Nothing else. My serious gambling days are long over. $25 teasers and $25 str8 ups. My limit for a football season is $500 which I lost by week 13 last year and quit. I’m up $420 this year and still playing. You can’t beat Vegas and you can’t beat a book. But if you know your limits, do it for something to root for it’s just entertainment. We went to a see Bad Company last weekend at a Casino. Afterward Maria wanted to play a few slots so I sat down at a Video Poker machine. First $20. Bingo! $1209 jackpot. Right place, right time, right millisecond.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2019 10:36AM

For you degenerates his is one for you. Mahomes is 1 and 4 on Prime Time games this year. The Chiefs are 1 and 9 in their last 10 playoff games. I think they have lost 6 straight at home. Whatcha gonna do? How are you playing this?

I so want to play the chiefs but Just can’t pull the trigger giving the Colts 5.5. So I’m forced to take the Colts and the points and also play them on the money line

m

• Options

on paper the Chiefs are the Team to beat, they just seem like they should win. then there is Andy Reid and it all becomes clear. I really think that they will win in spite of him, because of him and for him. he's a little above average in the regular season at about .600 even though people talk like he's one of the Top Head Coaches, in the post season he's around .450.

that tells me he's good enough to get his Team into the playoffs but then tends to exit after two games. I assume he tightens up or can't seem to get his Teams to loosen up, but who knows. he reminds me too much of Mike Holmgren who lost me after he tried to GM the Browns from his home in sunny California. what a douche-bag!!! his record in both the regular season and post season is about the same as Reid with his entire legacy resting on the Super Bowl appearances and the resurgence in Seattle. for most of his playoff games he just couldn't get his Team over the hump.