Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL Play-offs, WildCard round/pick the winner and discuss.

Comments

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:
    not to jump the gun, but if we have a KC vs NE rematch for a trip to the Bowl, there needs to be an av bet for the ages

@Darin
    @perkdog
    @erikthredd

I sincerely believe the Chiefs will win but I will man up and wager my Avater against Darin if he wants. I’m in if he wants 🍻

perkdog- I will respectfully decline.
    Since the end of the regular season I've had Broncos fans tell me that Denver was going to win as many playoff
    games as the Chiefs this year, and Raiders fans saying they would win as many playoff games, meaning zero of course.
    So my time is best suited to tracking down all those folks and reminding them of what they said and maybe tactfully
    mentioning how bad their teams suck compared to the Chiefs. LOL.

And truthfully- I just don't want to change my avatar if the Chiefs lose, which is a very real possibility considering
    how well the Patriots played today.

I would give those Broncos fans a drug test asap if they were predicting Denver playoff wins in this postseason when they weren't even playing in it.

Eric, it was a little joke of their's meaning the Chiefs were going to win 0 playoff games, same as Denver.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Darin said:
    And perkdog, Eric, bronco and any other NE fans on this board, congrats it was a great win
    against a Chargers team that had been playing some really good football.

I'm already on record saying next week might be Brady's biggest road test in a very long time with his history there,1-2 overall. Should be one helluva game hopefully.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like next week will open up with

Kansas City favored by 3
    Saints favored by 3.5

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Darin said:

@erikthredd said:

@Darin said:

@perkdog said:

@galaxy27 said:
    not to jump the gun, but if we have a KC vs NE rematch for a trip to the Bowl, there needs to be an av bet for the ages

@Darin
    @perkdog
    @erikthredd

I sincerely believe the Chiefs will win but I will man up and wager my Avater against Darin if he wants. I’m in if he wants 🍻

perkdog- I will respectfully decline.
    Since the end of the regular season I've had Broncos fans tell me that Denver was going to win as many playoff
    games as the Chiefs this year, and Raiders fans saying they would win as many playoff games, meaning zero of course.
    So my time is best suited to tracking down all those folks and reminding them of what they said and maybe tactfully
    mentioning how bad their teams suck compared to the Chiefs. LOL.

And truthfully- I just don't want to change my avatar if the Chiefs lose, which is a very real possibility considering
    how well the Patriots played today.

I would give those Broncos fans a drug test asap if they were predicting Denver playoff wins in this postseason when they weren't even playing in it.

Eric, it was a little joke of their's meaning the Chiefs were going to win 0 playoff games, same as Denver.

I just read somewhere that this will be the first AFC Championship game played at Arrowhead stadium. I didn't know that, that place will be bonkers on sunday.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darin you are a gentleman and I respect you not wanting to wager, like I said I sincerely think the Chiefs will win but figured I’d throw my hat in the ring with the Avater bet thing just because NE fans were sorta being called out on it, I’m glad you declined and much respect to your Chiefs this coming game, May the best team win in a Clean game 🍻

• Options
    edited January 13, 2019 7:59PM

I’m glad I’m not involved in any avatar bets. I’m not sure I possess the skills necessary to figure out how to change it back later. Example being stuck with an Emmitt Smith avatar forever scares the crap out of me

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

perkdog and Eric.
    I'm sure there will be a lot written and talked about this coming week about the QB matchup
    between the GOAT Tom Brady and the young gun Patrick Mahomes.
    I remember Tony Romo before the game started made the comment that the Chargers were going to
    get the very best version of Tom Brady and he was right on the mark as Brady looked very sharp with
    his passes.
    The way I feel is that if the Chiefs get to the Super Bowl this year, I'm glad they have to go through
    the Patriots to get there, as they have of course dominated the AFC and the NFL for a long time.
    Its going to be tough getting through the work week knowing I'll be thinking about this game all week.LOL.

• Options

The waiting and worrying all week is torture at times but well worth it knowing your team is playing for a spot in the SB. Hopefully this week flies by.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

methinks the rating for NE & KC is going to be astronomical

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've got no skin in the Chiefs-Patriots game, but it would be nice to see Andy Reid win and have another opportunity to win a Super Bowl as a head coach. Something he tried hard to do with the Eagles but just couldn't quite get it done.

Many probably haven't considered this, but if Andy Reid wins a Super Bowl, he would be a lock to get into the Hall of Fame. I think he may even get there without winning a Super Bowl because Reid is currently 8th in all time NFL head coach wins, and he will certainly move up a few notches before his coaching career is over.

• Options

@galaxy27 said:

Definitely, especially having their biggest star, Tom Brady as a central attraction. And a pretty interesting KC team as an opponent.

The networks basically got all the match-ups they wanted, including the Rams-Saints which is the game of the two best teams in the NFC, including an LA market team. They of course would have rather had the Philly market team in there instead of New Orleans, but ya can't have everything.

Obviously they would always prefer a New York team, but as we all know and they realize, a New York team playing in a conference championship may not be forthcoming for possibly quite a while.

I'm sure overall the network execs are happy, especially with Commie Kaepernick and the kneelers this season almost being a non-story, and NFL fans getting back to simply enjoying football, instead of discussing the various shenanigans of a money hungry fraud.

• Options

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

Definitely, especially having their biggest star, Tom Brady as a central attraction. And a pretty interesting KC team as an opponent.

The networks basically got all the match-ups they wanted, including the Rams-Saints which is the game of the two best teams in the NFC, including an LA market team. They of course would have rather had the Philly market team in there instead of New Orleans, but ya can't have everything.

Obviously they would always prefer a New York team, but as we all know and they realize, a New York team playing in a conference championship may not be forthcoming for possibly quite a while.

I'm sure overall the network execs are happy, especially with Commie Kaepernick and the kneelers this season almost being a non-story, and NFL fans getting back to simply enjoying football, instead of discussing the various shenanigans of a money hungry fraud.

ROFL

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

ROFL

m

Oh I'm sorry, I misspelled your hero's first name. 🤣

• Options

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

ROFL

m

Weak.

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

ROFL

m

Weak.

m

Weaker.

• Options
    edited January 14, 2019 5:31AM

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

ROFL

m

Weak.

m

Weaker.

Weaker yet. That’s all you got? I’m like three moves ahead of you. Bring it SteveK. Let’s go down in a blaze of glory

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

ROFL

m

Weak.

m

Weaker.

Weaker yet. That’s all you got? I’m like three moves ahead of you. Bring it SteveK. Let’s go down in a blaze of glory

m

Weakest. 🤣

• Options

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

ROFL

m

Weak.

m

Weaker.

m

Weakest. 🤣

We all knew that was coming.

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

@galaxy27 said:

ROFL

m

Weak.

m

Weaker.

m

Weakest. 🤣

We all knew that was coming.

m

That's what i try to bring to the forum...dependability. ;)

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

hook line and sinker, but who's catching who??

• Options

https://sports.yahoo.com/forecast-arctic-blast-hit-kansas-city-afc-championship-game-230241402.html

Forecast: An 'arctic blast' could hit Kansas City for AFC championship game

• Options

The weather could bring an interesting aspect to the AFC championship game.

Certainly cold weather such as this normally affects an older person more than a younger person. But Brady I think likely has more experience in frigid cold weather games than Mahomes who being from Texas, may have never played in any frigid cold weather games.

They'll keep Brady warm when he's on the sidelines, and I would have to think this type of weather would give an edge to Tom Brady versus Patrick Mahomes. But who knows?

• Options

I know some fans don't like the aspect of foul weather, but I think it's a vital part of the NFL. that's why I don't agree with the rationale that says it's a good thing for the Super Bowl to be played at a neutral site in perfect weather. also, after so much is made of "Home Field Advantage" during the season and the Play-Offs, what is the logic of losing that for the biggest game of all??

KC has earned this AFC Championship and it's mind boggling to me that it is their first. I would think that the Chiefs should have enough experience with bad weather to tuff it out even though I expect New England to win. bad weather tends to favor Defense and the running game, which is a wash --- KC seems better at the latter and the Pat's better at the former. If the weather does turn sour I expect a relatively low-scoring game(for these Teams), something like 20-17.

if it comes down to that kind of scenario it could be the kicking game that is the most important thing.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

I think the Pats are going to have trouble with Mahomes. I think he runs for a few critical first downs early in the game and the Chiefs jump out to a big lead. The Pats offense was basically perfect in the first half against the Chargers and unfortunately I don't see a repeat performance this weekend. I hope I am wrong.

Of course, I also thought the Pats/Chargers game would be a close, hard fought affair and look how that turned out.

Robb

• Options

Just a hunch, nothing more, but there is nobody smarter in today's game than Bill Belichick.

The "problem" with weather is there are so many variations of it that can affect a football game in so many different ways when the wind, cold, and inclemency of the field come into play. It not only can get down to altering play strategy, but even the equipment such as the best cleats for the players to wear.

Andy Reid is an old veteran and understands all of this. But I would have to give the edge to Belichick, that if the weather is possibly as bad as forecast, that he will find some sort of edge to the situation and exploit it to the benefit of the Patriots.

• Options

Cold is a factor but not nearly as bad as Snow. We will still see some dudes out there without long sleeves on 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Cold is a factor but not nearly as bad as Snow. We will still see some dudes out there without long sleeves on 🤷‍♂️

Perhaps Belichick will use white footballs so the defensive players can't see who has the ball.

• Options

The weather guys are now saying tomorrow nights game might not be as cold as expected with a high/low around 29/23 degrees during the game. IIRC last week's Pats-Chargers game was about the same temperature.

• Options

KC & NO tomorrow

but my postseason picks have absolutely sucked, so there's that

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

No wagering riding here so I'll go with NO and NE. Youth may be served at QB with Mahomes and Goff, but I'll still go with the veteran QB's. Good luck to your chosen teams.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

The AFC is really tough to pick. The Pats haven't played well on the road this season,Brady is 1-2 in KC over his career and that Chiefs offense can be downright nasty. If NE can hold them to FGs and maybe cause a turnover or two I really like their chances. I'd love to see them go ground & pound while trying to win the TOP battle and keep the Chiefs O on the sidelines.
    if it turns into a track meet from both offenses it will probably come down to the last possession.
    Last i checked NE had just one player on the midweek injury report and he was back by thursday. The last two times they played a championship game on the road in Denver they had players missing on both sides of the ball and had to turn to names like Austin Collie,Matthew Mulligan & Steve Jackson. One of those games had Matt Slater playing WR as well. This time they'll be relatively a full-go healthwise and I think Brady & BB find a way to get them thru this game in a high scoring close one,31-28.

In the NFC I got the Saints winning a low scoring close one,20-17.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm picking NE and NO, though I would rather have a NE LA SB.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like my patriots are going to lose , I'll go with NO in the other game

• Options
    edited January 20, 2019 9:32AM

IMO New England has to control the ball today in order to win.

Surprised the Rams are only 3 point dogs in New Orleans. I’ll be rooting for the Rams but won’t be too sad if Brees advances

m

• Options

defense and the running game is what wins Championships, that's why the Pats' and the Saints will win.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2019 3:21PM

It’s confusing to me why Payton is screwing around and taking Brees out for that other QB. The Tempo has changed, I think the Rams will get it done

• Options

Oh and why is Gurley not playing?? 🤷‍♂️

• Options

@perkdog said:
    It’s confusing to me why Payton is screwing around and taking Brees out for that other QB. The Tempo has changed, I think the Rams will get it done

He’s done it all year and I’m in agreement. Bree’s would also agree.

Bree’s has been used 100% as a decoy when he stays in with Hill taking snaps. Gotta think there will be a Bree’s trick play sooner then later

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

Bree’s has been used 100% as a decoy when he stays in with Hill taking snaps. Gotta think there will be a Bree’s trick play sooner then later

m

Mark I will accept that answer. But I’m still confused as to why a healthy Gurley is on the sideline

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

m

Mark I will accept that answer. But I’m still confused as to why a healthy Gurley is on the sideline

I think the knee is still bothering him. I can't imagine that C.J. Anderson, as well as he has played, would supplant Gurley in a game of this magnitude.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

m

Perk, I actually agree with you. Sorry I wasn’t clear. Payton has done it all year and Ive not been a big fan. Bree’s hates it

m

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Horrible non-call.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

the NFL is going to have a real problem on its hands if the Rams win this game

i'd get out of Louisiana as quickly as i could if i was a member of that crew

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Horrible non-call.

Not only was it PI, but also helmet to helmet. Had it been called......GAME OVER!!!!

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Horrible non-call.

It certainly was. They also missed a fairly obvious face mask on NO on the previous possession on Goff’s run near the goal line that would have gave the Rams a first down.

Anyways I’m personally happy to see an OT

m

• Options
  • Options

That was a great game. Hats off to any Rams fans here.

• Options

RAMS!

What a hold on the FG

MArk

• Options
    edited January 20, 2019 4:25PM

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

@Justacommeman said:

@perkdog said:

m

Perk, I actually agree with you. Sorry I wasn’t clear. Payton has done it all year and Ive not been a big fan. Bree’s hates it

m

All good Mark 🍻