Home Sports Talk
Options

NFL Play-offs, WildCard round/pick the winner and discuss.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Refs officially cost the Saints the game...….HORRIBLE!!!!!

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel for Brees.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

That FG would have hit for 65. What a game, congrats to Rams

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone else remember a few years back when the Rams were horrible and the week leading up to a Rams-Pats game Bill Belichick was telling us all how great Greg Zuerlein was? Most people thought he was nuts for talking up the punter.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    The Tempo has changed, I think the Rams will get it done

Great call

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Ref remembered he had money line bet on St. Loo, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    edited January 20, 2019 4:35PM

Goff was tremendous under pressure. Especially the way he handled the blitz and crowd noise

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

as dime said, not only PI, but helmet-to-helmet. if that play happens in a reg season game the field would have been littered with laundry

it finally happened -- NFL refs single-handedly prevented a team from going to the sport's biggest game

• Options

Why can't they have a challenge on a no call. Not even a blind ref would miss that on slo-mo!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Why can't they have a challenge on a no call. Not even a blind ref would miss that on slo-mo!

If I'm agreeing with Jon, you know it's pretty blatant, LOL!

• Options

@grote15 said:

Rams are back in L.A. ;)

• Options
    edited January 20, 2019 5:42PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@grote15 said:

Rams are back in L.A. ;)

Yes, forgot that, LOL..

• Options

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

LA should not be there. The New Orleans coach made a enough mistakes by pulling Brees for that alternative quarterback, and zebras missed a blatant pass interference call with less than 2 minutes to go. Happy Year! LA! You got a gift from the zebras.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Boy the Chiefs are getting out played...out coached....out everything. Brady and the D are taking them to school!

• Options

Well, that was quick, lol..

• Options

@grote15 said:
    Well, that was quick, lol..

33 total yards in the first half.....that has to be some kind of a record!

• Options

Mahomes is probably fun to watch if your not a Pats fan :#

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems like KC started slow in both games against the pats this year then got rolling. Are they making good adjustments or just need time to settle down?

• Options

Well, you don't expect a Belichick coached team to blow a lead like that..we'll see..

• Options

@bronco2078 said:
    It seems like KC started slow in both games against the pats this year then got rolling. Are they making good adjustments or just need time to settle down?

Andy Reid is not know for making adjustments......must be something else! ;)

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 20, 2019 7:05PM

Do the Patriots have anything left in the tank?

• Options
  • Options

Wow - Tom Brady suddenly looking old in this second half.

• Options

@stevek said:
    Wow - Tom Brady suddenly looking old in this second half.

That was all on Edelman not Brady.

• Options

Seems to be a crazy season of teams blowing second half leads.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2019 7:16PM

Props to KC and Andy Reid. KC looks like a completely different team in the 2nd half.

• Options

Man was that a bad ruffing call!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    Man was that a bad ruffing call!

Yes it was.

• Options

I've got some unused nitroglycerin pills if any Patriots fan wants them.

• Options

Once again, Andy Reid gets himself in a jam with no time outs left.

• Options

wtf is going on here? clock stopped on a declined penalty and the play clock is not running either?

• Options
    edited January 20, 2019 7:59PM

They got a time out even though they were out of time outs

Play ends in bounds why do they have almost a minute of dead time there?

• Options

Both conference finals games go into OT?

I'm sure that's never happened before.

• Options
    edited January 21, 2019 12:10AM

@stevek said:
    I've got some unused nitroglycerin pills if any Patriots fan wants them.

My wife packed up the dogs in the 4th and took them for a ride as I tend to get excited. I just texted her that it’s safe to come home now

m

• Options

@Darin your QB is gonna own this league for the next 15 years. Respect bro,KC put up one hell of a game.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brady is amazing. I can't see the Rams even giving the Pats a game.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

Seriously though , can someone explain to me how the Cheifs had effectively a free time out ?

• Options
    edited January 20, 2019 8:24PM

@bronco2078 said:
    Seriously though , can someone explain to me how the Cheifs had effectively a free time out ?

Yeah I didn't want to be the one to point that out. I honestly think our refs were in complete CYA mode after the officials blew the earlier game very late. They were probably rechecking everything.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Officials just like players can have a bad game. Today was not a good day for the Refs. They had a direct bearing on who won the first game. Several bad calls in both games but the Pats would have probably won anyway.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The non call on that play was so aggregious that any official who was involved in it should be barred from future post season games. You have to have been biased or blind to have missed that play.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

It looks like the betting line is going to open up as a pick em.

m

• Options

@BillJones said:
    The non call on that play was so aggregious that any official who was involved in it should be barred from future post season games. You have to have been biased or blind to have missed that play.

stage fright non call.

• Options

That KC FG that made it 31-31 and put it into OT screwed me after I predicted 31-28 last night.

• Options
    edited January 20, 2019 10:35PM

Tony Romo has a serious man crush on Tom Brady. It’s a bit much at times

m

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

A terrible missed pass interference call but Robey-Coleman said the ref told him he thought the pass was tipped which would have made the early contact legal. I don't think they were going to call helmet to helmet in that situation unless it is egregious and in the middle of the field. I think you will see coaches get one PI review per game in the near future.

The Saints were their worst enemy on that final 4th quarter drive after making the long pass to Ginn. IMO you have to run the ball on first and second down to make the Rams use up their timeouts and then leave it up to Brees to seal the win on 3rd down. Poor game management by Sean Payton.

Even after the PI call, the Saints had the ball in OT and simply needed to drive for a touchdown to win. They didn't get it done.

Robb

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe not the perfect context, but yesterday's games sort of showed that "the Emperor has no clothes" and the NFL needs to do something, very quickly, to fix the Referee problem that. I forget which game showed Roger Goodell, but he has to be embarrassed and worried.

it is sad that during two of the biggest games of the season between four very, very explosive and exciting Teams that the performance of the players was over -shadowed by the performance of the Referees and the use of Instant Reply/Review. I will say that in the Chiefs/Pat's game they got things right, but that blown call against the Rams will linger for a long time.

it will be hard not to be pulling for the Patriots in the Super Bowl, they are my early pick.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    A terrible missed pass interference call but Robey-Coleman said the ref told him he thought the pass was tipped which would have made the early contact legal. I don't think they were going to call helmet to helmet in that situation unless it is egregious and in the middle of the field. I think you will see coaches get one PI review per game in the near future.

The Saints were their worst enemy on that final 4th quarter drive after making the long pass to Ginn. IMO you have to run the ball on first and second down to make the Rams use up their timeouts and then leave it up to Brees to seal the win on 3rd down. Poor game management by Sean Payton.

Even after the PI call, the Saints had the ball in OT and simply needed to drive for a touchdown to win. They didn't get it done.

Robb

With all due respect, this is an embarrassing post. There are no justifications and no "yeah buts." Bottom line is it was the most abhorrent no-call in the history of an NFL Championship game, and it stripped a deserving team of an opportunity to play on the league's biggest stage.

Robey-Coleman is FOS. Yes, he first mentioned a ref saying it was tipped, then he backtracked and admitted to lying. He then said some teammates told him it was. Either that is a lie too or they are F(uller)OS than he is because the pass didn't come within 2-3 feet of a Ram defender's hand. Seriously, go back and watch the replay. And when a reporter whipped out his phone and showed it to him for the first time, R-C was grinning from ear-to-ear and that eventually morphed into full-blown laughter. "Oh yeah, that was pass inteference," he said.

Let's eliminate the spin for a moment and focus on the play. He a) didn't play the ball, b) blasted Lewis before it got there, and c) crashed his head into Lewis's helmet. There should have been so many flags flying through the air in the general vicinity of Robey-Coleman that it should have looked like he was being stoned to death.

That play was a microcosm of what it's like to live in this world in the year 2019: far too many people are afraid to do the right thing for fear of what might happen to them. Instead of doing what they were paid to do, which was to make absolutely certain that every individual on that field played within the framework of the rules on every single snap, the referees swallowed their flags and allowed multiple infractions to transpire. And because of it, a team is playing in the Super Bowl that has no business being there.

I honestly don't know how someone is supposed to take the NFL seriously when the zebras determine outcomes at the worst possible time with their ineptitude. The only reason I'm even remotely interested in the SB now is to see if Brady can cement his GOAT legacy with another ring. If the Rams win, there should be an asterisk 10x the size of the one next to Bonds' name on the all-time HR list.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

There are missed calls every game, get over it. One call doesn't decide a game, just like one play doesn't either.

The Saints had every opportunity to win even after the call. Their defense failed twice and their offense failed once.

Robb

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

One call doesn't decide a game, just like one play doesn't either

taken as a whole this is true, but looked at in real-time for that game it is BS. I heard one of the "panel" members on the post-game show, ironically it was an ex-player, who tried to pin the blame on Sean Payton by saying he "made multiple mistakes during the game" that cost the Saints the game.

ridiculous, the Rams won based on that one play and pretty much everyone understands that, even the NFL.

--- I watched the game with two of my Sons, two of my Sisters, my GF and my Dad, he turned 92 on Thanksgiving Day. he still lives at home with his youngest Daughter and despite his physical problems(survived prostate cancer, multiple skin cancer procedures, walks stooped over with a walker) his mind is still sharp. we gave my boys a little History lesson of the old Cleveland Rams, where the franchise started and won their first Championship, and my Dad threw out a piece of trivia that I wasn't aware of before yesterday --- the Rams actually played some of their games in Shaw High School's Football Stadium.

sure enough, I looked it up today and he's right. :)