Home Sports Talk

NFL Play-offs, WildCard round/pick the winner and discuss.

123457»

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:

@fergie23 said:
    A terrible missed pass interference call but Robey-Coleman said the ref told him he thought the pass was tipped which would have made the early contact legal. I don't think they were going to call helmet to helmet in that situation unless it is egregious and in the middle of the field. I think you will see coaches get one PI review per game in the near future.

The Saints were their worst enemy on that final 4th quarter drive after making the long pass to Ginn. IMO you have to run the ball on first and second down to make the Rams use up their timeouts and then leave it up to Brees to seal the win on 3rd down. Poor game management by Sean Payton.

Even after the PI call, the Saints had the ball in OT and simply needed to drive for a touchdown to win. They didn't get it done.

Robb

With all due respect, this is an embarrassing post. There are no justifications and no "yeah buts." Bottom line is it was the most abhorrent no-call in the history of an NFL Championship game, and it stripped a deserving team of an opportunity to play on the league's biggest stage.

Robey-Coleman is FOS. Yes, he first mentioned a ref saying it was tipped, then he backtracked and admitted to lying. He then said some teammates told him it was. Either that is a lie too or they are F(uller)OS than he is because the pass didn't come within 2-3 feet of a Ram defender's hand. Seriously, go back and watch the replay. And when a reporter whipped out his phone and showed it to him for the first time, R-C was grinning from ear-to-ear and that eventually morphed into full-blown laughter. "Oh yeah, that was pass inteference," he said.

Let's eliminate the spin for a moment and focus on the play. He a) didn't play the ball, b) blasted Lewis before it got there, and c) crashed his head into Lewis's helmet. There should have been so many flags flying through the air in the general vicinity of Robey-Coleman that it should have looked like he was being stoned to death.

That play was a microcosm of what it's like to live in this world in the year 2019: far too many people are afraid to do the right thing for fear of what might happen to them. Instead of doing what they were paid to do, which was to make absolutely certain that every individual on that field played within the framework of the rules on every single snap, the referees swallowed their flags and allowed multiple infractions to transpire. And because of it, a team is playing in the Super Bowl that has no business being there.

I honestly don't know how someone is supposed to take the NFL seriously when the zebras determine outcomes at the worst possible time with their ineptitude. The only reason I'm even remotely interested in the SB now is to see if Brady can cement his GOAT legacy with another ring. If the Rams win, there should be an asterisk 10x the size of the one next to Bonds' name on the all-time HR list.

Totally agree!!

@keets said:
    One call doesn't decide a game, just like one play doesn't either

taken as a whole this is true, but looked at in real-time for that game it is BS. I heard one of the "panel" members on the post-game show, ironically it was an ex-player, who tried to pin the blame on Sean Payton by saying he "made multiple mistakes during the game" that cost the Saints the game.

ridiculous, the Rams won based on that one play and pretty much everyone understands that, even the NFL.

--- I watched the game with two of my Sons, two of my Sisters, my GF and my Dad, he turned 92 on Thanksgiving Day. he still lives at home with his youngest Daughter and despite his physical problems(survived prostate cancer, multiple skin cancer procedures, walks stooped over with a walker) his mind is still sharp. we gave my boys a little History lesson of the old Cleveland Rams, where the franchise started and won their first Championship, and my Dad threw out a piece of trivia that I wasn't aware of before yesterday --- the Rams actually played some of their games in Shaw High School's Football Stadium.

sure enough, I looked it up today and he's right. :)

Totally agree. This is one case where one call or missed call in this case did cost the Saints the game...PERIOD! This should just be included in the plays that can be challenged.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like Fat Andy is still bitter today. The Dee Ford offsides penalty was the refs fault not Ford's because they didn't tell him he was lined up offsides and he also doesn't like the overtime format because it wasn't his team that won the coin flip then marched down the field for a TD.
    https://weei.radio.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/kansas-city-chiefs-coach-andy-reid-criticizes-offsides-call-late-afc

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Seems like Fat Andy is still bitter today. The Dee Ford offsides penalty was the refs fault not Ford's because they didn't tell him he was lined up offsides and he also doesn't like the overtime format because it wasn't his team that won the coin flip then marched down the field for a TD.
    https://weei.radio.com/blogs/ryan-hannable/kansas-city-chiefs-coach-andy-reid-criticizes-offsides-call-late-afc

Yes he should be pissed with that new coin flip rule in place that he didn’t know about >:)

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@Justacommeman said:

@erikthredd said:

Yes he should be pissed with that new coin flip rule in place that he didn’t know about >:)

I guess we should have seen the warning signs 10 years ago when his own starting QB in Philly didn't know the NFL procedure for tie games. Hey Andy, that all starts with you big boy. ;)

@erikthredd said:

@Justacommeman said:

@erikthredd said:

I guess we should have seen the warning signs 10 years ago when his own starting QB in Philly didn't know the NFL procedure for tie games. Hey Andy, that all starts with you big boy. ;)

Andy Reid is an idiot......always has been and always will be.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 21, 2019 7:10PM

Andy Reid must have forgotten that the old overtime rule was truly "sudden death" and the first score of any type won the game.

Frankly, the game of football doesn't really lend itself well at all to players continuing in overtime. They are worn out enough from sixty minutes of killing each other out there. Just let the game go as a tie in the regular season after sixty minutes. Or do what is mentioned below.

In the playoffs where it isn't possible for a tie game because of needing one team to advance, then let the kickers decide the game. Place the ball on say the 35 yard line to begin, no rush of any kind, no other players out on the field except for the ball holder, and let each kicker have a shot at it. If they both make the kick, then the ball moves to the 40 yard line and they try it again, and if they both make that, then the ball placement keeps moving back until only one of the kickers makes it on his turn.

That would add some most interesting drama to decide a tie game. And why not do it this way? Games are already decided any number of times on a last minute field goal. And besides the game is called "football", right?

@stevek said:
    Andy Reid must have forgotten that the old overtime rule was truly "sudden death" and the first score of any type won the game.

Frankly, the game of football doesn't really lend itself well at all to players continuing in overtime. They are worn out enough from sixty minutes of killing each other out there. Just let the game go as a tie in the regular season after sixty minutes. Or do what is mentioned below.

In the playoffs where it isn't possible for a tie game because of needing one team to advance, then let the kickers decide the game. Place the ball on say the 35 yard line to begin, no rush of any kind, no other players out on the field except for the ball holder, and let each kicker have a shot at it. If they both make the kick, then the ball moves to the 40 yard line and they try it again, and if they both make that, then the ball placement keeps moving back until only one of the kickers makes it on his turn.

That would add some most interesting drama to decide a tie game. And why not do it this way? Games are already decided any number of times on a last minute field goal. And besides the game is called "football", right?

Or tug of war over a pit of misery

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:

@stevek said:

Or tug of war over a pit of misery

m

Anything involving the cheerleaders would be acceptable to me, except perhaps a sudden death intelligence quiz about the game of football which could last for hours because of their constant incorrect answers, IE: What's the position name for the player who gets the ball snapped to him on each regular down? "Um, er, um, don't tell me yet, um, is it the quarter something, I forget."

KC found their scapegoat and just fired their defensive coordinator.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

let the kickers decide :D:D

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

in some ways, NCAA Football makes more sense than the NFL. the OT rules are one of them.

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was confirmed by several Chiefs players that Mahomes told them at halftime
    that they were going to go back out and put up 30 in the second half.
    He was close, they actually put up 31 in the second half.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

@Darin said:
    It was confirmed by several Chiefs players that Mahomes told them at halftime
    that they were going to go back out and put up 30 in the second half.
    He was close, they actually put up 31 in the second half.

Local sports talk radio was talking about his combined stats in the second half of both Pats games this season and they were pretty unreal. IIRC it was like 61 total points and some Madden-esque passing totals. His fourth quarter the other night was pretty incredible and to think that game was just his second playoff game ever.

• abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not everyone would do this . I missed this

m

Brady seeks out Mahomes after loss

http://sports.yahoo.com/brady-sought-mahomes-postgame-chat-205827815--nfl.html

I think what Mahomes said about "time flies and put in the work" is an overlooked part of Pro-Sports. Brady has been fortunate but there are no guarantees. Mahomes may never make it back and I think that might have been what Brady was saying, cherish the moment, put in the work and play your best when you have a chance.

most players, even in a 10-15 year career never get a shot at the Grand Prize. those that do are fortunate. look at Russel Wilson with Seattle, they were talking only about 3-4 years ago about the 'Hawks having a Patriot style dynasty waiting for them and that Wilson, after two years, was the second coming and being compared to the best of all time. things change quickly and it takes a full roster and an awful lot of "luck" to win the Super Bowl.

right now the Seahawks can't get past the first round and it isn't Wilson's fault, but he alone can't take them there.

I think KC with that offense can be a pretty dominant team going forward but they're going to be handing out some crazy money real soon on Tyreek Hill & Pat Mahomes. There's a good possibility that both players lands the most lucrative contract ever for their positions. KC's GM should be trying to lock these two up early and see if it can save the team some money.

edited January 26, 2019 11:28AM

erik, that's why I said what I did about Russel Wilson, all the pundits said exactly what you did when Seattle was in their second Super Bowl. I'm a realist, there's only so much money to be spread around, a small window of opportunity and just too many player's egos to appease. that can be short-sighted for guys line Mahomes and Hill who want to get their money. other players leave like "the Beast" in Seattle and it hurts a Team's chances.

KC defensive end Chris Jones is another guy that will be coming up on a major contract as well. The money could be a problem but they can alleviate some of that by locking guys up early.
    I think the one thing working in KC's favor though going forward is aside from NE,there aren't many other AFC teams that will be in their way. Brady's days are numbered,Roethlisberger's too and we might see Le'Veon Bell & Antonio Brown both gone this offseason,Phillip Rivers is getting up their in age as well. We've seen plenty of teams have great seasons then fall back into the pack a year or two later so there hasn't been much consistency there.
    The Chiefs were pretty consistent during the regular season under Andy Reid & Alex Smith but couldn't get past the 2nd round,Mahomes got them over the hump in his first year as starter.

Teams have enough research on Mahomes so next year will probably be different. already i have noticed his tendency when pressured to go back and right, almost never does he move forward in the pocket. the dream QB is Brady or Marino who never moved, they just had/have a quick realese, or a guy like Kosar who could throw at virtually any angle at any time.

those three guys are old school and Mahomes is a prime example of the new era --- quick, very elusive with a strong arm that is accurate on the run.

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mahomes and KC will be back. Not sure if it will be with Andy Reid, but he seems to have an iron grip on the job.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.