Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Let's finally clear up the CAC myths.

Comments

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thebigeng said:
    I don't believe it!! Its pure conjecture!!

Good Job Wabbit! I agree, also nice job on getting gold stickers. I have not received one yet in 5 years...

If I understand the OP correctly.......this is a good thing. It means your coins are not undergraded. I would think this would make you happy and be a good thing. I would much rather have a coin in the correct holder than undergraded with a sticker. :):oB)

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018 8:57PM

Yes I wonder what will happen to CAC bids in the sheet if they folded or he went in another direction.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    RonyahskiRonyahski Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 said:
    I have had some threads hijacked but this one is the winner! You other drunks I can forgive but Hawaii? She might have a problem! :)
    -He will make an offer on any CAC coin as a courtesy, but you will generally do better at >auction since he is a wholesaler. Buying happens, but a lot less than you might think

I'm sober drunk, drunk sober. Thanks for forgiving. To unhijack, please reconcile your conversation to the website.

Some refer to overgraded slabs as Coffins. I like to think of them as Happy Coins.
  • Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:

not absurd that someone may want a coin that is solid for a grade or near the top of the grade rather than just barely making the grade. Two coins could technically be MS64---is it absurd to have a resource to help collectors stay away from the one that barely made the grade?

First of all, if you know the series, you have an idea of where a coin is on the continuum of its grade.
    Secondly, if you pay a premium fur a nice MS 64 coin which is at the top of its grade. More likely than not, JA would sticker it. But you're going to want to get it in a MS 65 holder. If your experience is anything like mine, it's not going to happen. Better to get a solid MS 64 and not deal with the situation I described. Chances are it would still get a green sticker.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is nice to know who's a wholesaler vs who's a re-teller. :joy:

• Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said:
    This is a thread where a non post is the best option.

...what could you have possibly done for the 27 minutes it took before you busted your own rule?...you probably don't have any fingernails left ;)

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bochiman said:
    So, the CAC haters/detractors won't care or change their mind on what they perceive CAC to be about

The CAC lovers won't care, nor change THEIR minds, on what they perceive CAC to be about

The people that don't fall in either of those categories, that care, is super small.

So, at the end of the day.....who cares?

You have arrived late to the drinking party.

• Options
    AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

No comment.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AlexinPA said:
    No comment.

"If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2018 5:35AM

@ACop said:
    Almost forgot. John will buy any coin. Even if he doesnt want to. Of course it will be less than its worth. But he will buy it.

John will buy any CAC coin.

CAC doesn't bother with many series for good reason.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

If CAC didn’t exist, what would we talk about? :o:#

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

My wager is that there would be two to three times as many grade inflation threads.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 ... Thanks for the information resulting from your conversation with JA. Exactly as I have understood from the beginning. I chuckle at the various 'opinions' that have developed over the years. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2018 7:37AM

Yes something that is minuscule compared to pop of certified material lol.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@ricko said:
    @Wabbit2313 ... Thanks for the information resulting from your conversation with JA. Exactly as I have understood from the beginning. I chuckle at the various 'opinions' that have developed over the years. Cheers, RickO

It is certainly good to send the tablets down every few years.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

I appreciate the direct-from-the-source information. Vast majority of my collection isn't really CAC-able, but some of it is; eventually I'll get around to submitting. :smile:

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@ACop said:
    Almost forgot. John will buy any coin. Even if he doesnt want to. Of course it will be less than its worth. But he will buy it.

John will buy any CAC coin.

CAC doesn't bother with many series for good reason.

Me too

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

@chesterb said:
    Thanks Wabbit for the follow up. I guess I'm a simple guy but I am focusing on purchasing CAC coins because they are easier to sell if/when that time comes.

I've been watching dealer inventories and the non-CAC material just sits there.

Yup. When they pass the potatoes, take some. Even if you don't like potatoes. ;)

• Options
    cnncoinscnncoins Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

Earlier on, I would get my CAC submissions back and there might be a note on a coin or 2 that he stickered, indicating he had an interest in buying that particular coin. He did this with other submitters also. I think this happens with much less frequency now.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2018 9:55AM

@topstuf said:

@chesterb said:
    Thanks Wabbit for the follow up. I guess I'm a simple guy but I am focusing on purchasing CAC coins because they are easier to sell if/when that time comes.

I've been watching dealer inventories and the non-CAC material just sits there.

Yup. When they pass the potatoes, take some. Even if you don't like potatoes. ;)

Save room for the apple pie.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wabbit, does John Albanese look at every coin sent? Or are there other people doing it for him?

• Options
    fiftysevenerfiftysevener Posts: 897 ✭✭✭✭

I already knew this because JA told me so !

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

@10000lakes said:
    Here is a recent experience of mine that shows the value assigned to a CAC sticker in today's market.
    I'm only going to provide general details and not the specific date of the coin.

I purchased an PCGS MS62 CAC $20 liberty (lower mintage date) for $4400 back in 2014.
    The coin was in a older blue label holder and I thought it had a shot to upgrade to a + or even a 63.

Earlier this year I decided I was going to sell this coin and I submitted it once for a regrade (in holder) in early 2018 and it came back the same grade MS62, but now in PCGS Secure holder with a Trueview.

So I sent it off to be auctioned and it was submitted to CAC before hand.
    It got a green CAC sticker again and sold for $4900 (all in).

Recently the same coin showed up for sale in an auction as a PCGS MS63 non CAC.
    PCGS Price guide for a 63 is nearly double what a 62 is.
    I went to the PCGS Coinfacts page and could now see that my Trueview and cert# was still valid and could see 5 more Trueviews listed for this same coin (4 @ 62's and 1 @ 63).

So they must have cracked it out 5 times before getting it into a 63 holder.
    The coin sold as a 63 non-CAC for $4900 (all in).
    it also was in a non 'Secure' holder as 63 and in a 'Secure' holder for all of the grades as a 62.
    Although the 63 had a Trueview associated with it.

To be fair to PCGS, I don't think the coin is out of place in 63 holder. I even thought that it should be a 62+ or 63.
    The coin in question had a nice original 'skin' to it, and was not dipped or enhanced.

And probably the biggest take a way from this is if you are playing the crack out game, if you leave behind a easy to lookup trail of images you are probably going to get burned. :D

An easy to follow trail of pictures and the fact that it was already auctioned earlier in the same year both contributed to the final price. Plus the lure of the upgrade was gone for those bidders that like finding under-graded material.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2018 4:14PM

@Insider2 said:

@blitzdude said:
    Still seems absurd that someone wants to pay for a sticker that says someone agrees with the grade that someone already paid for to have graded in a slab. Crazy, crazy, crazy world we live in.

Still boils down to a second opinion. The Director of the first TPGS, Charles Hoskins, welcomed the news that the ANA was going to publish a grading guide and start grading coins. He believed that grading was subjective and everyone should be able to get a second opinion from a different source. That's why the INSAB grading opinion was issued on a separate card from the Certificate of Authentication & the grade opinion was FREE.

Within about ten years, PCGS came along with a better "mousetrap," business model, and grading standards that were based on how coins were graded in the commercial market. I had to look for another position. :(

It's not a second opinion if the PCGS grade is the cumulative opinion of 3 graders. That would make it a 4th opinion.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

John has one of the best eyes out there, but you can go nuts dealing with the differences of opinion of experts re what is solid for the grade. It is my impression that he usually does not like dipped coins or coins with weak strikes, even though the latter includes most coins struck at the New Orleans mint.

Most of what I have seen that is stickered to my eye is attractive, but I still believe you need to look at the coin. As long as people are grading coins, mistakes will be made.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

<3B)@ms70 wrote: [Insider, you are a stupid ignorant person :'(:'(:'( ] "It's not a second opinion if the PCGS grade is the cumulative opinion of 3 graders. That would make it a 4th opinion." <3:p

LOL, whatever! I think what you fail to realize is that graders don't always agree. That's what finalizers are for. So, when the coin leaves the TPGS it actually has only ONE GRADE grade opinion no matter how many folks examined it. Send it to CAC or a different TPGS and you'll get another opinion.

I believe there are four major grading services. I'm not going to include any knowledgeable numismatist who examines the coin. Therefore, realistically a coin can receive five professional opinions backed up with a guarantee. 4 + CAC.

• Options
    BlindedByEgoBlindedByEgo Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting... ceteris paribus, is the numismatic world better or worse off as a result of the market acceptance of CAC? If confidence is a yardstick, I say "better off". My opinion, along with a couple of bucks, will get you a tall drip at Starbucks.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

@segoja said:
    Well stated. That's exactly how I understand CAC and its my experience as well

Me too.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2018 4:48PM

@Insider2 said:
    <3B)@ms70 wrote: [Insider, you are a stupid ignorant person :'(:'(:'( ] "It's not a second opinion if the PCGS grade is the cumulative opinion of 3 graders. That would make it a 4th opinion." <3:p

LOL, whatever! I think what you fail to realize is that graders don't always agree. That's what finalizers are for. So, when the coin leaves the TPGS it actually has only ONE GRADE grade opinion no matter how many folks examined it. Send it to CAC or a different TPGS and you'll get another opinion.

I believe there are four major grading services. I'm not going to include any knowledgeable numismatist who examines the coin. Therefore, realistically a coin can receive five professional opinions backed up with a guarantee. 4 + CAC.

So I was wrong.... A coin doesn't leave PCGS with 3 opinions... I forgot about the finalizer....It actually leaves with 4.

Thanks for clearing that up! :)

• Options

There's a saying about opinions that I've heard but I can't remember exactly how it goes right now. >:)

• Options

@topstuf said:
    There's a saying about opinions that I've heard but I can't remember exactly how it goes right now. >:)

We pay for them, so...... :/

• Options

@ms70 said:

@Insider2 said:

So I was wrong.... A coin doesn't leave PCGS with 3 opinions... I forgot about the finalizer....It actually leaves with 4.

Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Nope, I'm wrong. We need to include the QC guy.

• Options

nooooo...... that doesn't ring a bell.... :D

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭✭

@Wabbit2313 Thank you for taking the time and effort to talk to JA at CAC and pass on some factual information. The information as you reported it in your OP is the way that I had always understood it to be, so it is nice to see confirmation from the source.

It does leave me with one question though. Why?

From what others who are close to the source, including @tradedollarnut and others, possibly including yourself, that CAC does not make a profit from evaluating the coins and putting stickers on those they approve of and now you are saying that they are not offering to buy the coins they sticker and JA says you would be better off selling at auction because they are only offering wholesale then again, I have to ask, why are they doing this?

• Options

@coinhack said: "I have to ask, why are they doing this?"

I seem to recall an interview JA gave that answers your question. Anyway, it's always best to go to the source so CALL JA and ask him! Let us know what he says. :wink:

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@Coinstartled said:
    -My personal question that was answered and I found interesting: If a coin, for example, is MS67 Green CAC. You crack it out and it comes back MS66. It will not automatically get a Gold sticker. The coin would have to be the highest end of 67 or even a 68 to get the Gold. (This reaffirms my opinion on my personal Gold stickered coins. Most look 2 grades under)

--Why the hell doesn't he just offer full service grading without all the coding and mystery?

Guarantees and liabilities

You're only liable for guarantees if you give one. If I was running a TPG, I'd never guarantee a grade; only if it was authentic or not. Since opinions aren't facts, guaranteeing an opinion is silly. The only liability one should have is if they mishandle/damage/lose a customer's coin/s.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@Wabbit2313 said:

@Coinstartled said:
    This is a thread where a non post is the best option.

I sure wish you would follow your own advice. The usual suspects.

Yeah, me too. First CAC was created to save the hobby from terrible PCGS-NGC gradeflation. Then their motivation was merely so that JA could mark the coins to identify them for possible future purchase as wholesaling is his schtick. Now he really doesn't want to buy them, we are back to saving numismatists from the evil of sloppy grading.

And I am truly confused with the Gold CAC explanation re the MS67 dropped to 66 coin. So Green means solid for the grade and gold means super PQ for the next grade...maybe even the next higher grade, or even the next higher grade.

Bitcoin was $20,000 a year ago and $3500 today. Smoke and mirrors only go so far.

I thought the initial impetus for CAC was to identify coins which had been doctored but escaped the eagle eye/s of the grader/s.

• Options

@asheland said:
    Wabbit, does John Albanese look at every coin sent? Or are there other people doing it for him?

He be the finalizer who has the last word about whether the coin beans or not.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

11 years later on, and this is still being debated? :p

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

We would be wondering why someone has not yet started a coin approval service to confirm the grades on the slabs and make a wholesale secondary market for them.

• Options
    edited December 6, 2018 6:17PM

@RYK said: "11 years later on, and this is still being debated?" :p

There is a very simple reason for this...folks like to blab, look knowledgeable, and join in the fun of posting often about things they know nothing about. Cannot be helped as this is a free forum and everyone should feel welcome and enjoy the fun of posting. When I joined my first coin forum three years ago, many posts started this way: "I DON"T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THIS BUT..." Thankfully, CU is a more mature forum.

There is a very simple solution to this situation...

Example: In eleven years, how many times has someone commented on/ asked about/rendered an opinion on the question of JA grading EVERY COIN that is stickered? ASK HIM, GET THE ANSWER (yes or no), POST IT, and it will be answered. I'd like to know.

Does PCGS do such and such? Call them and ask! Save us the misinformation, opinions, discussion and then let all of us know what you found out. I wish I >:) could push the phone buttons for you guys <3 ! :p

This discussion has been closed.