Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Let's finally clear up the CAC myths.

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinstartled said: "You changed the question, Insider. I answered the first..."

Disagree, but you finally came through to support your opinion - sort of. <3

"...and now the second as posed.

1. By CAC going full service, collectors would have a choice of three highly regarded TPG's. No more parasitic hanger on, CAC would be a single submission destination for those that think the results would be most beneficial. No more of the green and even more so gold sticker interpretation. An MS65 would be an MS65 coin. Mitigate or eliminate the A, B, or door C, debates.

There have always been ranges in grade within each grade below MS/PR-70. Nothing is going to change that and as you point out, one company uses the "A to C" range to award a sticker.

There are four major grading services already and IMO, they do a decent job much of the time. Between them they have all the needs of most collectors/dealers covered for decades. We can find exceptions and mistakes.. CAC has come along to clean up some of these exceptions. Unfortunately, CAC is not perfect either.

If it gets to the point that what we have now is broken, another "sticker" company will spring up. I just saw an ad from ANACS with a "W" sticker service. Have no clue what that is yet.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

.> @Insider2 said:

@Coinstartled said: "You changed the question, Insider. I answered the first..."

Disagree, but you finally came through to support your opinion - sort of. <3

"...and now the second as posed.

>

There are four major grading services already and IMO, they do a decent job much of the time. Between them they have all the needs of most collectors/dealers covered for decades. We can find exceptions and mistakes.. CAC has come along to clean up some of these exceptions. Unfortunately, CAC is not perfect either.

If it gets to the point that what we have now is broken, another "sticker" company will spring up. I just saw an ad from ANACS with a "W" sticker service. Have no clue what that is yet.

just rolled out this morning I hear, means Wabbit-approved.

• Options
    DavideoDavideo Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭✭

@Insider2 said:

Wings does world and ancients: wingscoins.com

And then there is QA for moderns: qacoins.com

• Options
    RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

In reviewing over 300 comments it is evident that many either do not understand much about what CAC does, or believe whatever satisfies them, or do not really care as long as they make more money.

:( Unfortunate.

• Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RogerB said:
    In reviewing over 300 comments it is evident that many either do not understand much about what CAC does, or believe whatever satisfies them, or do not really care as long as they make more money.

:( Unfortunate.

What about you? Do you now finally understand? :)

• Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭

Dear mod, please consider removing all references to services other than PCGS and consider removing the handful of dealers who routinely encourage conversations about all that is wrong with your services and/or the hobby. They do not serve your interests, IMO.

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DHeath said:
    Dear mod, please consider removing all references to services other than PCGS and consider removing the handful of dealers who routinely encourage conversations about all that is wrong with your services and/or the hobby. They do not serve your interests, IMO.

1. IMO, PCGS (our host) has nothing to fear from any other TPGS.

2. It is impossible to tell the "story" of America w/o mentioning the bad things that were done to the Indians, the CSA, etc. The "story" of Numismatics is similar, lots took place before PCGS came on the scene and when you know the entire story it should make us all very happy PCGS exists!

3. No TPGS is perfect. The best ones improve themselves, often using constructive suggestions from both customers and non-customers.

4. I'll confess to being ignorant about the folks who routinely criticize PCGS. Perhaps you should warn them in a PM that they are breaking the rules. We definitely need more "watchdogs" around here! :wink:

This discussion has been closed.