Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Washington Quarter Registry Thread

Comments

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 517 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Your page looks terrific, sedulous! I built a set of these raw and in high grade in the 1990s and had them in a pair of deep blue Capital Plastics holders. They looked awesome.

Tom,

That is how I started collecting WQ's in the early '80's. I had a nearly complete set from 32 to 64 in all white coins in a blue Capital Plastic holders. The all white coins against the blue holder looked awesome. Then in the late 80's I started collecting PCGS slabbed WQ's. As time went along my coins became more toned and I don't really buy all white coins anymore. Then 1Tommy came along and noticed I had a variety in my collections and at the time I had no idea what a variety was. Then I got hooked on varieties and now I am building a variety set also.

• Options
    BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:

@BeefCurry808 said:
    Heres my only 2 trueviewed

Wow, no one needs to ask you where the beef is... it can be found in your colorful quarter collection. Nice!

That's the best thing ive read all day :D:D:D:D

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2018 9:54PM

@robec... I can see why you really like your '47-S in PC67! Let me show you all the remainder of my silver set beyond that first Dansco page. You will see my '47-S developed some dark cheek toning so I will need to replace it or do something about it.

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    batumibatumi Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭

Some really nice pieces posted here. All in all, the present is a great time to build and/or upgrade a set of Washingtons. Compared to when the state quarters sparked an interest and prices on most soared, this is an interesting and undervalued series today, imo

• Options

@TomB said:
    Here is a little slice of old school-

I like the holder. I noticed the dates of the coins do not meet the dates on the holder. Very pretty.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's true. The coins are also all business strikes without any proofs.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

It always kills me to write something along the lines of "good to see you, Stupid"...but it's good to see you, Stupid! :) That 1951 WQ is beautiful as I don't see many of the Philadelphia coins from that year as having really colorful skin.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Here is a little slice of old school-

Let me know when/if those are available Tom! Superb quarters!!!

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom.

At first look I thought the quarters in the Capital Holders were proof quarters and I was floored at the beauty of same. Then looking closer I saw that they are MS quarters and not proofs. They are still gorgeous coins and fantastic color. I suspect that they look much better in hand under optimal lighting with the two clear layers of plastic removed so that you can see the coins without anything impairing the view.

How about you post a photo of the reverses of the coins, just to indulge those who give this thread a look?

• Options
    StupidStupid Posts: 558 ✭✭✭

Those are gorgeous coins Tom. I do think Sanction that these are not really in that holder, as I seem to recall Tom showing some of these in PCGS holders individually before. But I will let him confirm that. Unless he went off the deep end and cracked them all out... 😱

Lots of very nice coins in this thread.

• Options

As pointed out, each of the coins "shown" in the Capital Plastics holder has been shared in the thread already. They are all PCGS certified and have all gone through CAC, as well. However, I still think it makes for a cool image and I can post the reverse later, too.

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom,
    I remember seeing some of these posted before and thought the photo shop into this holder was very well done! I like the '47 coins the best :wink:

Ken

• Options

Her is the old school reverse-

• Options
    edited November 20, 2018 11:24PM

@TomB said:
    As pointed out, each of the coins "shown" in the Capital Plastics holder has been shared in the thread already. They are all PCGS certified and have all gone through CAC, as well. However, I still think it makes for a cool image and I can post the reverse later, too.

First I ever heard someone doing that... brilliant! absolutely brilliant! I have got to try that... I have Photoshop, I have Capital Plastics holders... what a way to enjoy it!

In the meantime, another newp... beginning to fill out that first Dansco page but I am going more white than toned...

• Tim

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2018 6:01PM

Everyone and their grandma has a 1957 but I had to send this one in.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options

@mach1ne said:
    Everyone and their grandma has a 1957 but I had to send this one in.

PC66+... nice color and umph @mach1ne

• Options

Do any of you collect Type B's? or have a set? I hear the '56-P's are the rarest? Here is a recent newp '63-P WQ TyB...

• Options
    edited November 25, 2018 11:45PM

Type B reverse specimens interesting? or not so much?

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

I found a BU roll in Ocean City NJ about 10 years ago and 20 of the coins in the roll were Type B's. I graded most but reserved two and they are sitting upstairs. They are the most beautifully toned blue. I made a 66, a bunch of 65's and a lone 64 out of that group. The two I have are 66 IMHO but still raw. I love the Type B's and then Type C for 64-d... as well as multiple varieties as you get into the early clad. Lots of fun there.

• Options

@Relaxn said:
    I found a BU roll in Ocean City NJ about 10 years ago and 20 of the coins in the roll were Type B's. I graded most but reserved two and they are sitting upstairs. They are the most beautifully toned blue. I made a 66, a bunch of 65's and a lone 64 out of that group. The two I have are 66 IMHO but still raw. I love the Type B's and then Type C for 64-d... as well as multiple varieties as you get into the early clad. Lots of fun there.

I need to see pics of the blue quarters!!!

• Options

@Relaxn said:
    I found a BU roll in Ocean City NJ about 10 years ago and 20 of the coins in the roll were Type B's. I graded most but reserved two and they are sitting upstairs. They akre the most beautifully toned blue. I made a 66, a bunch of 65's and a lone 64 out of that group. The two I have are 66 IMHO but still raw. I love the Type B's and then Type C for 64-d... as well as multiple varieties as you get into the early clad. Lots of fun there.

Any of you have an indication or a feel on what the tough dates are for the alternate reverse Types?

• Options

If you search the US forum there are a few great reads from a few that were collecting data back into the 60's & 70's. Although that data was very informative, with the advent of the 3rd party grading services I believe the key data now would be Condition Census. I think other than the 1964-D '65 reverse any other year mint state 64 or lower, one could not justify the grading and attributing fees. I believe 1956, 1961, 1962 and 1964 in MS66 and above with original skin are sought after. As with any series or type - strike and eye appeal goes a long way ;) Take a look at the pops on each year and the more common dates will jump out at you :)

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    Type B reverse specimens interesting? or not so much?

They are, but also more people looking for them. For the type B's, the 1956 is least common. With the increases in grading and variety costs, almost need a 65 to break even (except for the '56). The 1964-D type C reverse is by far the rarest of this group and AU's can bring $40.

• Options
    edited November 30, 2018 6:25AM

I found this site:
    www.washingtontype-b.com

Have any of you visited it? or is behind it?

@Relaxn, @cointime, @davewesen, Appreciate your thoughts on the Type B's.. really great insight. Sounds like it is good to keep a lookout for the '56-P Type B and '64-D Type C Reverse coins. Much appreciated. - Tim

• Options
    edited November 30, 2018 2:31PM

Im selling this quarter, if anyone is interested. I have a thread on the BST forum. Link is below....

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009769/for-sale-rainbow-toned-1947p-ms-67-washington-quarter-ngc#latest

• Options

Type B Reverse again to move the thread...

• Options

How many of you have, or refer to, these James Wiles books? Are there any additional books beyond '49 that you know of? (either published or in the works to be published). I am showing a picture here of my own set...

• Tim

• Options

My 1949-P in PC65...

What do you believe is the best collectable grade for Washington Quarters?

• Options

@sedulous said:
    My 1949-P in PC65...

What do you believe is the best collectable grade for Washington Quarters?

I think these are very collectable at so many different grades. You can go for the best of the best in 67 or better, you can go for nice gems in 65+, and a matching set of 62-64 would be very collectable too. Myself, I have a nice registry set, a toned MS set and a white MS set in albums. I haven't consider another graded set yet since I haven't finished the big registry one yet, but I hope to next year. There are a lot of attractive toners out there that aren't in the top grade. Maybe Ill start another set and not worry about the registry, LOL!

Id be curious about what other collectors think too.

• Options

For grade ranges I would expect a nice EF/AU circulated set would look fabulous, but then once one gets into the MS grades I would suggest MS63 and higher. The MS63 coins might be very, very choice examples of "the big five" as we used to call them in the early 1990s (1932-D & S, 1934-D, 1935-D and 1936-D) with the remainder of the coins likely MS65 or higher. Of course, there is also the option of essentially all white or toned examples, as well.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

The activity at the w> @sedulous said:

How many of you have, or refer to, these James Wiles books? Are there any additional books beyond '49 that you know of? (either published or in the works to be published). I am showing a picture here of my own set...

• Tim

I suspect efforts got changed into website ….

varietyvista.com/09b%20WQ%20Vol%202/index.htm

• Options
    ilikemonstersilikemonsters Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭

@AllCoinsRule said:
    Did anybody get any state quarters from the recent Heritage auctions? I got my first ms68 1999, 2 actually, DE-p and CT-D. I missed out on the NJ-P. That looked like a winner.

Also, why does it say Manofcoins was the last post and I don't see it? Is my browser caching an old version. The last post I see is on Dec 10th by davewesen.

Looks like he may have been kicked.

• Options

I was wondering the same thing. At first I thought it was that glitch we had a while back when you had to make a post to see the last post :)

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters said:

How did you arrive at that? When someone is banned they don’t delete his posts.

There are a couple of posts in this thread from a banned member.

Manofcoins was last active on these boards today (the 15th).

• Options

@robec said:

@ilikemonsters said:

It's just an educated guess.

When viewing his profile, it says you don't have permission to view his threads or posts, and they count for each is wiped clean.

What I do find strange is that he was last active today.

Not sure what has happened, but I would like to know.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ilikemonsters said:

@robec said:

@ilikemonsters said:

When viewing his profile, it says you don't have permission to view his threads or posts, and they count for each is wiped clean.

His profile shows he has over 10,000 posts. Sounds like there is a still a software bug. I had no problem with his profile or viewing his threads or posts.

• Options

@robec said:

@ilikemonsters said:

@robec said:

@ilikemonsters said:

His profile shows he has over 10,000 posts. Sounds like there is a still a software bug. I had no problem with his profile or viewing his threads or posts.

https://forums.collectors.com/profile/activity/MANOFCOINS

On the right side of his profile page, under his beautiful avatar. There is a link to discussions and posts. Normally, there would be a number there. When you click on either one, it says you don't have access or something along the lines of that.

But I see he was active 4 hours ago, which is a very big relief. He put together a stunning set of Washington Quarters.

• Options

What would be your vote on the best holder to display a Washington Quarter Collection? Raw: Capital Plastics?, Wayte Raymond?, or book-like Library of Coins, Dansco... then Digital... PCGS registry? or like @TomB, take a digital picture of the holder then Photoshop a detailed pic of each coin?

• Options

TomB takes some awesome pics and his Photoshopped holder looked pretty good! I guess it would depend on who you wanted to show it to.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sedulous said:
    What would be your vote on the best holder to display a Washington Quarter Collection? Raw: Capital Plastics?, Wayte Raymond?, or book-like Library of Coins, Dansco... then Digital... PCGS registry? or like @TomB, take a digital picture of the holder then Photoshop a detailed pic of each coin?

I love sets of Washington quarters in albums, and a vintage album, for me, adds to the enjoyment.

• Options

Too bad about the name on the front, but it could be covered up. I like this vintage Dansco folder a lot but have yet to fill it. Any recommendations on how to use it? Would you just continue on by date?

• Options

Nice quarter, even without the DDR. Even better with it!

• Options
    edited January 9, 2019 10:39PM

@NorCalJack said:
    You can see the double beak on the Eagle.

It's majestic!!
    Nice quarter! Congratulations!

• Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jay.

Just wanted to say another great addition to the Set. Coin looks strong for a MS 65 and the Seller is one of the Good guys around here. Congrats.

I have also just noticed that they DID BAN @manofcoins. I really can't believe that they would have deleted all his post too.

I would hope our host had one hellofa good reason to do that. Sad..

https://forums.collectors.com/profile/activity/MANOFCOINS

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 15, 2019 5:50AM

Well this was the first time I have been shut out of all my picks at the Fun Show Heritage Auction. I was also surprised that most of the coins sold for OVER PCGS Price Guide. The 1932 Quarter without CAC went for almost triple Price guide. I still cannot figure that one out but all it takes is two people.

The 1934 Light Motto in MS 67 was another coin I went after and was not even close to final bid. This coin sold for over 6 grand back in the 90's and sold this time around for 1900. The market has dropped big time on some of these coins but it seems to me there now leveling out and its a good time to Buy.

There were many other Quarters that sold for above guide including the 1938 in MS 67 cac that sold for 900 all in. Two weeks ago I picked up my 38 MS 67 from Beverly Hills Auction with cac for 504 so feel good about that purchase. My first coin purchased in 2019 is this coin from GC.

I love doing the research on all the coins I buy and found this coin was graded back in the 2004-2005 and the next two coins graded in that submission were both Heavy Motto and graded MS 66. One of those is documented in Heritages sales back in 2005 and than again in 2012 and that coin is an exact match to Mine. Now whether I send the coin back or not you should always buy a coin that you believe would upgrade. Down to 37 coins Left.

Enjoy Tom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.