Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Washington Quarter Registry Thread

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sparky64 said:
    @erwindoc It seems strange to see the reverse of a Roosie dime be the face of this thread. Lol. ;)

LOL!!!! What can I say, I have two coin collecting loves!

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sparky64 said:
    @erwindoc It seems strange to see the reverse of a Roosie dime be the face of this thread. Lol. ;)

You know it! B)

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have wonderful quarters and wonderful dimes, perhaps you should alternate your avatar month-to-month? That's easy to say for the guy who has been on these boards since the 1990s and has never changed his avatar from one of the original dozen offered by PCGS. :)

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Thanks Tom. You have seen quite a few from my sets haven't you!

• Options
    edited March 18, 2017 5:41PM

Wanted to get this thread back on top!!

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just got this coin back from our host as a x-over.

• Options

Here is another coin I got back as a x-over. This coin was CAC'd.

• Options
  • Options

Read 2017-S Silver Proof Quarters - Be Careful What You Are Buying on the U.S Coin Forum.

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

NorCaljack, I like all 3 :)

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭✭

Red just added the 1932D MS66 to his silver wash set and now claims the All time finest #1 set ranking. Congrats to Red. He also opened his set for viewing. Very impressive set with the majority having the CAC sticker.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, what a set!
    Thanks for the notice @onlyroosies .

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

Here is my newest purchase. 1953 PR68CAM. It is the DDO variety.

• Options

FROSTY!

• Options
    edited May 7, 2017 7:01PM

Is D.L. Hansen a member here?
    Looks like he started a new set in the 32-64 Basic Set, Circ & Proof catagory, about a month ago and it currently is #4.
    Lots of outstanding material.

Edit: Well, I am naive. I now see he's a super collector with top sets in nearly every series.
    Congrats to him.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Options

Nice!

• Options

@mach1ne said:
    These will be on their way to our host soon. I need to image the P-mint quarters too.

I agree! Great toner!

• Options

I imagine the two images for the 1958-D WQ are the obverse of one coin and the reverse of another. Is that correct?

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 14, 2017 2:12PM

@TomB said:
    I imagine the two images for the 1958-D WQ are the obverse of one coin and the reverse of another. Is that correct?

Correct.

Here are the P mints. They are a touch out of focus but thought I'd include them. They glow in hand, I'm excited to see what PCGS thinks.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

All these coins remind me of just how much I love the eagle back Washington quarters. We're just too familiar with them to really appreciate them. I'd take the eagle on the Washington quarter's reverse over the Barber eagle any day of the week.

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

Just picked up a few from the PO :) here is one of them

• Options

Like the orange fire!

• Options

Thanks erwindoc :) This one has less contact marks. If it only had the toning from the above coin.

• Options

This one is just a blazer.
    I generally prefer the toners but there's something to said for pure white.
    It also finally got me to 50%.

PCGS MS66

• Options

That 1943-D is one heck of an MS66!

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

I like Washington Quarters. Some great toners on this thread. I have access to an uncirculated raw set from 1932-1964 put together in mid 1960's. It has been in a Wayte Redmond Library of Coins brown album since the 60's, and some coins have nice peripheral toning. I suspect most of the coins are MS 64-65. I am not adept at getting images into these threads (The last time someone explained it to me it was about 20 steps and setting up all kinds of image accounts, too much trouble for me) I note that there are a number of DDO's and various motto sizes, and some are quite valuable. Is there a reference source/book out there that would help me evaluate the set to see if any are worth getting into holders?

Thanks.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

@DrPete said:
    Is there a reference source/book out there that would help me evaluate the set to see if any are worth getting into holders?

PCGS uses the Cherry Pickers Guide for varieties in this series.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@DrPete
    I / We would love to get a peek at the album you describe.
    Posting pics is much easier now and I hope you're up to giving it a try.
    No more third party image hosting sites. Just select the pic from your own files and you're off.

• Options

Stooge: Thanks for the information. I looked around for books on Washington Quarters and see no new ones. There was one published by David Lawrence around 1994, but I am sure there is more information now. I will purchase a new version of the Cherrypicker's Guide. I did look around on Coin Facts and they do illustrate some of the varieties.

Sparky64: I will see if I can get some images together. I have a nice digital camera and will see if I can get images to post. Perhaps with the newer software for the forums PCGS made it easier.

I appreciate the help.

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 21, 2017 8:55AM

This is the Only Series I collect and fell in Love with all the Varieties. If you truly want a book that show's detailed pictures and stats than I would suggest The Three Volumes from James Wiles. Volume 1 covers 1932-1941 Volume 2 covers 1942-1944 and Volume three goes from 1945-1949. I do believe the second two can be picked up on ebay. (The Washington Quarter Dollar Book)

I finally found the Volume 1 at a dealers website. In the past year these books have paid for themselves for someone who Loves this Series. I Really WISH That James would put out more Volumes that cover everything up to 1964 and Hope someday he Does.

Like other's have said post some pictures and we can all let you know what's worth submitting or Not.......

Enjoy Tom

https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/collectors-showcase/varieties/washington-quarters-other-varieties/2258

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

Thanks Tom/1tommy. I will look into those books. I plan to get some pictures taken soon. I'll start by shooting whole pages at a time, obverses, and see how that goes. Not sure what resolution limits there are. It should be fun to look for varieties, but I doubt I will find any of the rare ones. But, who knows?

Dr. Pete
  • Options

@DrPete said:
    I will purchase a new version of the Cherrypicker's Guide.

I have the "Fifth Edition, Volume II" which has pages 158-241 for all Washington Quarters 32-'09

If you need a CPG book now this is the one to buy, but rumor has it that the "Sixth" edition is due out sometime this year!?!? I would ask @DIMEMAN as he is keeping up with this more than I. I'm sure he will chime in as he lives on his computer and never sees the sun!!! :p
    That ones for you Jon!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:

@DrPete said:
    I will purchase a new version of the Cherrypicker's Guide.

I have the "Fifth Edition, Volume II" which has pages 158-241 for all Washington Quarters 32-'09

If you need a CPG book now this is the one to buy, but rumor has it that the "Sixth" edition is due out sometime this year!?!? I would ask @DIMEMAN as he is keeping up with this more than I. I'm sure he will chime in as he lives on his computer and never sees the sun!!! :p
    That ones for you Jon!

I "resemble" that remark.......I see the sun at least once a week....when I have to mow that pesky grass!

As far as the new version of the CPG.....I don't have any idea when. I keep asking Bill Fivaz and he say they haven't even started yet. It could be a loooong while.

• Options

Working on the photos. I took some already, but I don't have the right cable for connecting to my work computer today. I had not put any of the coins under magnification until this morning, and when I did I have found some have hairlines I did not recognize through the plastic slides. I think the keys will grade, but lower than my first estimates. Something like MS 62 instead of MS 64. What a bummer. I think these hairlines are likely from wiping/cleaning done prior to 1973, as no one has touched them since that date. I did NOT find any of the better varieties either. I'll post my photos when I get a chance, as this is still a neat set with the toning and history. I welcome any advice from fellow forumites, but will eventually work with my favorite dealer to see if some are worth slabbing.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

If you need a CPG book now this is the one to buy

I came across that book at Brooklyn Coin and Stamp and ordered a copy. I also ordered a copy of the 100 top VAM Morgan Dollars as I have just come across a 1960's era roll of 20 BU 1878-CC dollars and there are a number of varieties. Seems there is more to collecting than just Barber Half Dollars.....

Dr. Pete
  • Options

OK, here's my attempt to link in some images of the Wayte Raymond set and some individual pics.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

I suspect the lighting used was not your friend, but the early coins look rather chippy. However, the obverse of the 1935 is a real gem.

• Options

TomB,

Yes, I had to contend with suboptimal lighting, overhead incandescent lights at home and fluorescents at work, both producing lots of glare. I did most shots with the plastic sliders in place which makes light angle trickier, too. I wanted to not risk scratching the coins with the sliders. It was a small Canon digital camera and I hand held it for the shots, it was my first ever posting of my own images to the boards. Some turned 90 degrees from what my preview images looked like. One is really out of focus.

I just wanted to post some quick images to show off this neat old toned set my grandmother put away 50 years ago, and now I have it. She did not have a great "eye" for coins and some have hairlines that can be seen, even without using a more professional setup like I use for Gross Pathology imaging in my regular day job. Interestingly, the difference in cost for a set like this between average BU and gem was negligible in those days, yet is enormous now. Not to knock my grandmother at all. For being born in 1898 she was highly educated and had many interests, including coin collecting. She graduated from Smith College, a very fine institution.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

Please don't get me wrong; I think the set is really cool, but wanted to point out what might be grade limitations for the early pieces. Your grandmother did a fine job and Smith College is also a very fine institution, as you have stated. I spent two weeks there in the summer a few years ago teaching molecular genetics to other scientists and the campus is a real gem.

• Options

Tom, you're a great fellow and I appreciate all your comments.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

DrPete

I enjoyed the photos, thank you for sharing them!

Ken

• Options

@DrPete
    That is a really cool set by itself but add the fact that your grandmother put it together 50 years ago makes it priceless.
    Thanks for taking the time to sort out picture posting.

• Options

Great looking set doc!

• Options

Thank you all for the kind comments. I am going to take my time on this set. I will confer with my favorite dealer, and may have some sent in for grading if it makes sense. My initial review is that there aren't that many super gems, and the nicest looking coins are not high value anyway, from what I can tell. I know toning can also make a difference. I just got my copy of Cherry Picker's guide, Part 2, and when I have a spare moment, will look over the coins for any special varieties.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

Well, I have had my set reviewed by my dealer and we are going to have many of the coins graded. When I have results, I will post which coins I think are significant for grade/value in this thread. Many will be going in as economy and some as regular due to value.

Dr. Pete