Options

Washington Quarter Registry Thread

Comments

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking forward to your grades!

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

Deciding whether these are worth submitting. The 1964 kind of looks like one of those 1965 SMS's. The 1963 I think could 67, it glows.

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭✭

Holy cow! Great coins and pix! Fantastic discussion!

• Options

40 business days and I finally got grades. I'm slowly accumulating Washington's for my Date Set.

MS67

MS67

MS67. I was hoping this would 67+ as it looks as nice or nicer than a couple of the 67+ in CoinFacts. There are 0 in 68.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great 1958/1958-D trio!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

A couple more I added to my set. Thought I'd share.

• Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

First results back for Wayte Redmond coins. 1932-D PCGS MS 62, 1932-S PCGS MS 64. About what I graded them. Those went standard grading, most of the rest will be economy and I'll report noteworthy ones later.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

Highlights back today: 34-D MS66, 35 MS67, 35-D MS65, 35-S MS66+, 36 MS67, 36-D MS63, 36-S MS66, 37-S MS65, 38 MS67, 38-S MS66, 39-D MS65, 39-S MS64, 40-D MS66, 43-S MS66, 45-S MS66+, 46-S, MS67

Many others are MS 64-66, and a few came back cleaned, but overall, very pleased. Now to see if some need CAC stickers.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

Holy Cow! Those are great results. The 1935 was a beautiful coin if I recall correctly.

• Options

@TomB said:
    Holy Cow! Those are great results. The 1935 was a beautiful coin if I recall correctly.

Yes, Tom, you picked out the 1935 as exceptional, even with poor lighting and the plastic slide still in place, making the images harder to see through/past. I wanted to handle the coins as little as possible, to avoid adding any surface issues. My grandmother's set, either put together partially or entirely by her, has some real gems. There are about 8-10 coins with problems that got them genuine grades, mostly from old cleaning. Luckily, from a value perspective, the damaged/cleaned coins are common dates. Our philosophy was to submit the entire sequence from 1932-1956 inclusive to show the matching toning and hope to positively influence the graders that they were dealing with a set that had been toning together for a long time, even if some had been improperly cleaned 50 years ago. In my view, this approach worked.

My experience with this set points out that in the 1960's, coins like Washington Quarters were mostly collected as "BU" and the price differential between what we now call MS 62 and MS 66/67 was negligible, and many collectors only picked out nice bright shiny new coins, many at face value out of banks/rolls, or at small premiums. Little attention was given by many collectors to find those with the fewest marks. The difference in price today is greatly magnified. My grandmother, if she were still alive, would be very happy to know that many of her coins have survived to be considered superb gems.

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    RadioContestKingRadioContestKing Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent Job on getting the whole set graded. I think you did very well on the grades and wonder what your plans are with the set?

This would be a Nice set to hang on to since it was collected by your grandmother raw. Sure makes me wonder how many more of these sets are still out there sitting in drawers. Were any Varieties?

Enjoy Tom

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UayFm2yCHV8
    I used to be famous now I just collect coins.

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

@1tommy said:
    Excellent Job on getting the whole set graded. I think you did very well on the grades and wonder what your plans are with the set?

This would be a Nice set to hang on to since it was collected by your grandmother raw. Sure makes me wonder how many more of these sets are still out there sitting in drawers. Were any Varieties?

Enjoy Tom

Thank you Tom. I haven't decided what to do with the set yet. I will take my time. I bought the Cherry picker's Guide appropriate for this series and studied the coins for varieties before sending it in. I didn't see any and neither did my dealer. I assume PCGS would have noticed some, but perhaps not all varieties. As time passes, there probably are fewer and fewer sets like this sitting around. 40 years ago when I first began colleting, the Washington Quarter set in BU/Mint State was not a high ticket item, although we all knew the 32-D and 32-S were better coins.

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just got this one graded, PR66. A couple of years ago, I bought an entire 1953 PR Set in a Capital Plastics type of holder for it. When it comes to the early the 1950s PR Quarters, this is pretty nice toning I think. They aren't easy to find.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AllCoinsRule said:
    The 1964 is a type B reverse.

He should have paid the $18 to get attributed then, would have saved me $75 to do it later.

This page takes my computer forever to load, but some of the pictures are worth it.

• Options

Very nice! I love the mint set toners for 58 and 57!

• Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

NorCalJack,
    I agree with erwindoc very pretty toner!

Ken

• Options

Was anyone here bidding on "Anna's Wedding Collection"? Some awfully strong prices!

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    Was anyone here bidding on "Anna's Wedding Collection"? Some awfully strong prices!

I was a watcher but not a bidder. Big night for Washington Quarters.
    $21K hammer for the 1932, wow!
    It looks like Anna will have a nice wedding after all.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    NorCalJackNorCalJack Posts: 521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I have been looking for a '58 PR68DCAM for over 6 years and finally found one that meets my criteria.

• Options

Outstanding DCAM @NorCalJack . Congrats!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

• Options
  • Options

Is the market dropping or has grade inflation flooded the market?

The reason I ask is a couple months ago I bought a pre-65 silver quarter in PCGS MS67 for under $70 and I thought wow I don't remember them being this low.

Last weekend I bought one for under $50.

• Options

Not sure, but that is sure is cheap. I know I just sent a few of my best looking coins for regrading(hoping for plusses) but no upgrades were made.

• Options
  • Options

Outstanding addition NCJ.
    Beautiful.

• Options
    edited September 19, 2018 9:07AM

@davewesen said:
    Is the market dropping or has grade inflation flooded the market?

The reason I ask is a couple months ago I bought a pre-65 silver quarter in PCGS MS67 for under $70 and I thought wow I don't remember them being this low.

Last weekend I bought one for under $50.

My thoughts are the prices have been dropping for a few years now. When I decided to grab the varieties first it was because since the plus system I have watched all the regular coins in ms 67 drop like a rock. I knew than if a person had patience and was in no hurry that some of these coins would go for cheap and that is what I see now.

It is a Great time to put together a set as far as I am concerned. What year ms 67 did you get for that cheap?

Nice coin Jay and those colors are wild and I almost bid on that one.

@NorCalJack said:
    New addition to my Quarter Set.

I did pick up these two in the last week and both are 66+ I still enjoy finding coins that I believe could upgrade someday. The 1959 is a New discovery coin as it has a small spike neck like the 1943 s but lower and smaller. Now I just need to find another example.

Enjoy Tom

Link To Registry Set.https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Link to My Registry Set.

https://pcgs.com/setregistry/quarters/washington-quarters-specialty-sets/washington-quarters-complete-variety-set-circulation-strikes-1932-1964/publishedset/78469

Varieties Are The Spice Of LIFE and Thanks to Those who teach us what to search For.
  • Options

1tommy, it is a 1956 and is rather nice (it could have been missed by others because closed Sunday of Labor day weekend).

https://greatcollections.com/Coin/617215/1956-Washington-Quarter-PCGS-MS-67-Toned

• Options

@davewesen said:
    1tommy, it is a 1956 and is rather nice (it could have been missed by others because closed Sunday of Labor day weekend).

https://greatcollections.com/Coin/617215/1956-Washington-Quarter-PCGS-MS-67-Toned

I must admit that is the cheapest price I have seen on a MS 67. I just went and looked at mine and I am Buried at 96.35 :D:D

The pops are so high in 67 and yet you look at others like the 1959 and the 1964 it would cost an arm for a 67. There are still plenty of rolls out there that will be opened in the next few years.

I have also noticed there are some real nice looking 66+ coins that are 1/3 the price of a 67 so for me it has made sense to save money on a 67 for my set and the point difference between the two is just not worth the cost.

Enjoy Tom

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options

I think many of the silver MS67s being graded today are from holders and albums that have given great eye appeal with attractive toning rather than blast white from a roll (but I have been wrong many times before).

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my favorite series, but I still don't own a single slabbed example. Yet.

I am on a forced sabbatical from buying (family emergency, no extra funds). But I am taking this time to learn all I can.

I want to say I have really learned from and enjoyed this thread. Thank you to all who contribute.

• Options

@davewesen said:
    I think many of the silver MS67s being graded today are from holders and albums that have given great eye appeal with attractive toning rather than blast white from a roll (but I have been wrong many times before).

Agree it seems like most of the years with any color are getting higher grades than the white ones. This is still the Best Series to Collect. I love some of the 66+ coins and think there is room to upgrade a few of them. I wanted to include this coin in this Great Thread Enjoy Tom

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options

Beautiful 1956-D! In my opinion, this is one of the more underrated date/mint combinations to find from US Mint Sets with truly colorful surface and your coin definitely appears to have come from one of those sets. Nice snag!

• Options

Like I said I am new to this and trying to learn. So I have a question/observation I would like feedback on.

I plan to get to a show soon and compare some in hand, but in the meantime I've been looking at a lot of quarters online trying to see differences between the grades.

Hits on the cheek are so varied in terms of their effect on eye appeal. And they can stand out so much. Or be subtle.

If there is a question in here somewhere, I guess it is: what do you look for in choosing the "right" Washington quarter? What is most detracting for you?

If this is too broad, sorry.
    Thanks in advance!

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Like I said I am new to this and trying to learn. So I have a question/observation I would like feedback on.

I plan to get to a show soon and compare some in hand, but in the meantime I've been looking at a lot of quarters online trying to see differences between the grades.

Hits on the cheek are so varied in terms of their effect on eye appeal. And they can stand out so much. Or be subtle.

If there is a question in here somewhere, I guess it is: what do you look for in choosing the "right" Washington quarter? What is most detracting for you?

If this is too broad, sorry.
    Thanks in advance!

The simple answer is "eye appeal". However, like an onion, it has many layers. What production method do you prefer (business strike or proof)? Do you want blast white? Do you want wildly toned? Do you want something mid-range? How much are you willing to pay? I am not giving you a hard time; rather, this is a niche where I have been a very serious dealer and collector for a quarter century and many of the best looking coins for specific issues were unearthed by me years and years ago. So...

• Options
    edited October 16, 2018 4:25PM

Thank you for the reply. I realize my question was not a coherent one. I am just very interested in gaining more perspective.

Currently I am trying to look at as many as possible and I am surprised by and excited about all the subtle variances that catch my eye.

I have always been a lover of toned coins. The more of these quarters I look at, the more I appreciate the ones that are blast white or toned so as to not detract.

Edited to add:By finally finding a series which I love, my eyes are seeing things differently-if this makes sense.

• Options

I have only been doing this series for 8 years as a collector. Tom knows more and has handled more beautiful quarters than I have and has found most of his raw back in the days when not many folks liked toned coins. But I have learned thru the years I hate hits on the face and neck. Lately I have seen many toned coins with hits all over the place that make me shake my head. Every coin I purchase I want to see as an Upgrade. Meaning I think someday if I send the coin back its going to get a bump.

You can build the 1932 to 64 set in a couple years in MS 65. But the biggest thing I have learned is try to buy the best coin you can afford. The one that makes you go WOW. If that means saving for months to buy one coin that is fine. I have fallen in love with some of the colors that are out there. But for certain coins there is no way I could afford them.

So the key to me is taking your time and looking at thousands of quarters before you buy the first one. Just like cherry picking a variety you do not want to be buried in a coin for ever You also don't want to buy a coin and than buy another to upgrade that one. Save and buy the right one first. You can check out my set and its been a work of art for 6 years. I had a 10 year plan to do the Variety set.

If you get a chance click on toms website. He has written an article on this series. This is one of his pages that show The Mighty Toned Washington's….tbnumismatics.com/the-mighty-toned-washington-quarter.html

Welcome to the group...…..Enjoy Tom

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options

@1tommy I just read it. Very good. Great quarters.
    Thanks

• Options

Here is a nice one for you to think about. Its not mine but I don't think the owner will mind me showing it off.

• Options

That is great color for a 1944-S as there were no US Mint Sets produced that year so finding a coin with strong color that is also attractive is tough. It also appears to have very good luster, especially on the reverse.

• Options

Great and varied questions @thisistheshow .

In the very end it's your collection and you should stick to your standard of eye appeal.

I can tolerate some minor cheek hits if it's toned nicely. Not so much on blast white coins.

I started out thinking that all my '32-'64 quarters would be toned but, like you, I came to appreciate that fresh off the press look and have several sprinkled throughout my WQ collection.

I prefer my Proof coins to be white and go for CAM or DCAM when affordable.

I seem to have gravitated to MS66 quarters due to the fact that that is a high quality grade and still affordable in most dates/mm.
    However, I am not hung up on that grade. If you look at the first 2 quarters in my unfinished set, you'll see that they are common and affordable yet I think the grades are 63 then 64. I just fell for the overall look and to hell with the grade.

I've noticed that the luster increases greatly in proportion with the grade. You can have an MS64 and think it has awesome luster when viewed alone. Then compare it to an MS66 or 67....and it's like, WOW!

I'm glad you asked these questions because the advice given by @TomB and @1tommy is good for all.

• Options

@sparky64 I have looked at your coins. They have great variety. I can see where cheek hits on a toned coin are very different. Also, the location of cheek hits on a white coin impact how I feel about it as well.

I have seen some ms67 that seem to have more distracting marks than lower grades. I do not know if certain years are graded differently? More strict?

• Options

This is one of my favorite Toned coins I own....Anyone else look at the reeding on there coins? I also agree with Sparky grade does not matter on some coins its the eye appeal.

I just looked at the 1961 d MS 67 at Stacks next week and If I ever won the lottery I would chase that coin. This is just a Fun set to try and put together. Enjoy Tom

Link to My Registry Set.

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,117 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 12, 2018 3:33AM

I'm a Barber Quarter guy but wanted to throw this interesting 1948-D Washington Quarter onto this thread for discussion. Taking a look at the pic... post-mint damage? or perhaps a planchet that cracked or failed in some way during the minting process? Nice BU quarter none the less.

Obverse

Reverse

The fly in the ointment for me will be the peripheral scratches extending across the date, the crack, and further left of the crack. But then again, any coin roller-counter machinery might get caught-up when crossing over the crack... don't know if an answer can be determined. Also, consider the faintness of the "1" in the date.

• Tim

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

I think it's a planchet flaw and that it looks quite cool.

• Options
    edited November 15, 2018 7:59PM

Ughh, That point when you realize you have to cough up the big boy bucks to finish your '32-'64 set...

• Options

Your page looks terrific, sedulous! I built a set of these raw and in high grade in the 1990s and had them in a pair of deep blue Capital Plastics holders. They looked awesome.

• Options
    BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@BeefCurry808 said:
    Heres my only 2 trueviewed

Wow, no one needs to ask you where the beef is... it can be found in your colorful quarter collection. Nice!