Home Sports Talk

2018 official Boston Red Sox thread

pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Time to open up the discussion about the upcoming season.
How sick is baseball when these overpaid players can turn down 125 million dollars for 5 seasons of playing a kids game like J D Martinez is doing?

Comments

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2018 8:45AM

Well Steve...here's my contribution.

From Trifecta net works sports:

1st Base
    Mitch Moreland: Back again with Dave Dombrowski failing to understand what the team needs at first base
    Hanley Ramirez: Likely to serve as full-time DH
    Sam Travis: Could break out.

2nd Base
    Dustin Pedroia: Expected to miss start of season with knee surgery recovery
    Deven Marrero: Solid defensively
    Brock Holt: Ok at second
    Tzu-Wei Lin: Doesn’t do anything well.
    Marco Hernandez: Mostly third basemen in majors, but could see time at 2B with Pedroia out.
    Esteban Quiroz: Relative unknown

Shortstop
    Xander Bogaerts: Needs to bounce back, maybe he can do so under Cora
    Deven Marrero: His defensive skills makes him the best backup on the team
    Tzu-Wei Lin: Has most of his minor league games played at short, but doesn’t do anything well.

Third Base
    Rafael Devers: First full season in the majors staring him in the face, could be where he shows what he is truly made of.
    Marco Hernandez
    Deven Marrero
    Brock Holt

Catcher
    Christian Vazquez: Solid season last year, unclear if he can continue his success.
    Blake Swihart: His bat might keep him above Sandy this season.
    Sandy Leon: Very ok.

Designated Hitter
    Hanley Ramirez
    Blake Swihart
    Bryce Brentz: Yes Please

I have no idea why they didn't comment on the outfield positions in this article.

We have a STUPID, VERY STUPID alert...one Jake Romanski of the AAA Pawtucket Red Sox team as their catcher, has been suspended for 100 games for testing pos for amphetamine. The Red Sox front office pulled this bozos invite to the BIg Boy Spring Training in Fort Myers. It appears McDonald's could be in this yoyos future...it sure ain't with this team.

As for JD Martinez, he's crying that the Red Sox are playing hardball with him during negotiations. This jerk sounds like a reincarnation of one Manny Ramirez. Pass on this greedy clown, what he's been offered is simply staggering to the mind.

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I have said right along that they should not sign that idiot.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bad Karma from JD.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

I have long been an advocate of Blake Swihart as I watched him play in high school. He did well when he first came up but almost immediately got severely injured. Will the Red Sox make room for him or will they trade him for a so called power hitter?

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

things are much simpler in Cleveland, our big worry is who the no's 4-5 starters are gonna be. absent any injuries and spring training surprises the Tribe should be looking good even without Chief Wahoo on their caps where he should be.

all things considered, it'll be a competitive season in the American League with several really good Teams.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pitboss said:
    I have said right along that they should not sign that idiot.

Temperament wise he would fit right in with most of the current roster :D

who came into training camp all bulked up? I caught the end of something on tv they were saying someone is 40 pounds heavier this year

• orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Atleast you have more than 2 starting pitchers... it could be worse.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)

Well Edwardo Nunes has passed his physical and is again a member of the Red Sox. Hope he can stay healthy!

• ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Congrats on getting Edgar Martinez. Also read today that 3B Manny Machado wants to be a Yankee next year. That's why the Yankees let Todd Frazier walk this year. Yankees are going to go after him hard next year. The AL East is getting really stacked at the top now. Baltimore and Toronto are getting further and further below the Top 2.

• ExodusExodus Posts: 348 ✭✭✭

Oops. That's JD Martinez, not Edgar.

We shall see what he does but with the money top loaded and the opt out clause I am still skeptical.

I think the Martinez acquisition has some toxic potential. We may have just gotten Manny Ramirez reincarnated.

I think its sick that somebody gets $25m for playing baseball for 6 months. He has two opt-outs after the 2nd season. Money at this level can and does do crazy, crazy things to people, I think Alex Cora may well have his hands full.

What happens to Mookie Betts? Does Cora reshuffle the outfield and put Benintendi on the block at some point? Surely they're not gonna trade JBJ. Alex and big Dave have some serious decisions ahead, maybe Betts goes to the infield backing up Pedroia's knee thing...who knows.

We can only hope Martinez shines...we'll see. I think I'll be seeing at least one game here in Atlanta.

On the Yankees side of the ledger, Aaron Boone will either be very good, or lost in space. How on earth they could have replaced Joe Girardi with someone who has ZERO managerial experience is really a big, big roll of the dice IMO.

Well , they proved they can beat college teams today anyway. Good start!

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    On the Yankees side of the ledger, Aaron Boone will either be very good, or lost in space.

Could he also be somewhere in between?

Daniel

Well, he could fall anywhere I suppose, but, I suspect that playing baseball (and having one great home run against Boston), vs managing a team such as the Yankees is a whole different can of worms.

I'm just baffled that such an elite organization such as the Yankees could hire a person with NO baseball managerial experience. Surely there were much better choices in the marketplace. Time will tell.

I don't know enough about Aaron to make a comment about him but I wish him the worst of luck in the coming year while I learn. I know ,not very nice, but I am a Red Sox fan, what did you expect.

JD Martinez appearance in a Red Sox uniform is being hampered by "undisclosed medical issues"...here we go.

The MLB in its infinite wisdom is now going to mandate that all baseballs be kept in an air conditioned environment prior to use...this, to slow down too many home runs...go figure.

They will be sorry they gave away Bryce Brentz before this season is over if Martinez is not able to perform as the Red Sox think he can. They better hold on to Swihart as they may need him.

Steve...somebody's gotta go, and wouldn't be surprised to see Swihart gone, and perhaps others as well. He's just a back up catcher and may well be additional bait in a multi player deal. Time will tell on that one. I heard the announcer comment on Swihart yesterday saying "he looks like he's in the witness protection plan". I guess he has a beard now and was wearing sunglasses.

I think Brock is locked in with his ability to play multiple positions. Haven't focused on the team at all yet, too many revolving door situations. And as mentioned before, I'll be in Italy around opening day...I expect you'll hold down the fort.

Other stuff going on as well, but too many things floating around. Spring Training is just a prep for the regular season, several players will come and go.

Odd how NESN is tight lipped about Remy. Big mistake when they un-ceremoniously dumped Orsillo, who apparently is thriving in San Diego. I'd LOVE to see Eck in the booth permanently...he brings a kinda Dandy Don wit to his analysis.

Stay well.

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Steve...somebody's gotta go, and wouldn't be surprised to see Swihart gone, and perhaps others as well. He's just a back up catcher and may well be additional bait in a multi player deal. Time will tell on that one. I heard the announcer comment on Swihart yesterday saying "he looks like he's in the witness protection plan". I guess he has a beard now and was wearing sunglasses.

I think Brock is locked in with his ability to play multiple positions. Haven't focused on the team at all yet, too many revolving door situations. And as mentioned before, I'll be in Italy around opening day...I expect you'll hold down the fort.

Other stuff going on as well, but too many things floating around. Spring Training is just a prep for the regular season, several players will come and go.

Odd how NESN is tight lipped about Remy. Big mistake when they un-ceremoniously dumped Orsillo, who apparently is thriving in San Diego. I'd LOVE to see Eck in the booth permanently...he brings a kinda Dandy Don wit to his analysis.

Stay well.

NESN is terrible , I swear they are responsible for half the pace of play annoyances I have with Sox games. Is it even possible for a tv network to force more commercials in than NESN does? Ever come back from a break and find you missed 3 pitches? Oh here we go to a commercial which might be 5 commercials , and we are back to tell you that we will be back after this commercial or 3 .

That is so true! I tend to watch whichever station the opposing team has unless Eck or even Lyons are on there even though they are for the other team. I really love the way Eck works.
    I do agree that Swihart could be gone but unless they get more for him then they did for Brentz it will be a big mistake. As far as Holt goes he has not shown much since he got hurt a couple of years ago so its still up in the air on him and I am sure they are trying to decide between him and Swihart.
    Knowing the Sox they will make the wrong decision like they usually do.

Hoping JB Jr. shines this year.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Well another good game today.
    Johnson looked good in his 2 innings of pitching.
    Swihart batted 3 times and had a double and home run as well as a walk.
    Rusney Castillo also had a great performance.
    Maybe Martinez will not get to be a member of the Red Sox if all these guys keep performing and he is not that physically fit.

For better or for worse I guess we are stuck with Martinez.

Well, Alex Cora (the new Big Dawg), has relinquished his #28...originally chosen by Alex to honor his brother Joey.
    Cora will wear #20, and off we go, allowing the new Red Sox UBER-investment to wear #28, one JD Martinez.

A quick look at the Red Sox roster appears to show a pretty solid team...IF...IF they play to their potential...translation...HanRam etal need to earn their paycheck.

I have decided not to see a Red Sox game here...the ticket cost for a "decent" seat is $149, plus junk fees, not to mention the new park is a bit over 1.5 hours from my driveway. Most Braves games are shown locally anyway, just doesn't make sense to waste the money.

Reminded me of trying to get tix to see Elton John as he passes through on his farewell tour...HOLY MOLEY!! $450 for "fair" seats, $144 PER ticket for processing fee and $7 to just email me the ticket. I quickly passed.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

When he plays you will love Martinez. No one in the majors had a better year then he did on a per bat basis. If you look at his last three years it would be hard to find 5 hitters that were better

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Key words "When he plays"

Seems to me we heard the same about El Sapo Gordo...aka Sandoval; Price; HanRam; JD Drew; DiceK; Edgar Renteria; VMart; Carl Crawford: Bartolo Colon; Rusney Castillo; Josh Beckett etc, etc, etc.

The big problem is that past performance is NOT an indicator of future performance, nor a guarantee. Far too many have tanked after getting to Fenway with the big bucks rolling in every two weeks.

The money owed to former Red Sox players is simply STAGGERING. Just take a gander at what the Red Sox still owe the bozo who once played 3rd base.

However, I do hope Martinez is the player he's touted to be and not an addition to the list above...time will tell.

I am just tired of these players that are going to be such great players and end up being duds that I can not get excited about another one until he proves himself. I get more excited to see players coming up from the minors and doing well. I hate it when I see players that have real potential given away for has been players that command more money than I have made in my lifetime. In most cases they cause more problems on a team than they solve.

Up kinda early out there in "The Land of Enchantment". B)

Here's a pretty good read on the Red Sox. Scroll down to see a complete 2018 roster including invitees to Spring Training.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Red_Sox

I very seldom sleep past 4 AM.

It looks more and more that the Red Sox are going to be forced into trading Swihart as he is showing he is too good a backup catcher. I feel, myself, that this is just another mistake on their part but what do I know I've just been a fan of theirs for 70 years and have seen a few of their dumb moves in my time.

edited March 8, 2018 9:14AM

Swihart... I kinda doubt that he's "too good" as a back up catcher. I think Vasquez and Leon are locks...Swihart is simply odd man out, and this because of his injury laden last year, where he was stuck in Rhode Island. It's a numbers game, where they crunch and crunch untold numbers that spit out a probability scenario. Teams generally carry only two catchers, and Swihart happens to be number 3. He'll probably turn into a Travis Shaw in another team...perhaps best for Swihart.

More interesting is the news that the intentions of the powers to be will be to platoon the newly acquired jillionaire, known as J.D. Martinez. Some odd nonsense about him playing left in Fenway games and right in away games, or vice versa. How this makes sense is a mystery to me. I'm sure it doesn't give the Killer Bs a warm fuzzy feeling. More of this theoretical, number crunching statistical crap, I'm sure. I wonder how Benintendi, JBJ and Betts feel reading that stuff? Somewhere in there, somebody is missing "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Shades of Fatty at 3rd, Carl Crawford, DiceK, Drew, Esasky all HUGE busts and long gone on the infamous Timlin bus. Oh yeah, if I read it correctly the new Golden Boy, JDM, went offer in his Jet Blue Park debut yesterday, crunch that.

Interesting to note that the upper echelon somehow became aware that Cora and the Astros were using some statistical analysis to win games. They got really woozy over this and wanted Cora at the helm to share his magical 8-ball analysis. Crunch all the numbers you want, 9 humans go out there, not some whoop-dee-do, hot dog computer that spits out unending reams of analytical percentages.

Well, it is what it is...they don't give me a vote. Time will tell.

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Swihart... I kinda doubt that he's "too good" as a back up catcher. I think Vasquez and Leon are locks...Swihart is simply odd man out, and this because of his injury laden last year, where he was stuck in Rhode Island. It's a numbers game, where they crunch and crunch untold numbers that spit out a probability scenario. Teams generally carry only two catchers, and Swihart happens to be number 3. He'll probably turn into a Travis Shaw in another team...perhaps best for Swihart.

More interesting is the news that the intentions of the powers to be will be to platoon the newly acquired jillionaire, known as J.D. Martinez. Some odd nonsense about him playing left in Fenway games and right in away games, or vice versa. How this makes sense is a mystery to me. I'm sure it doesn't give the Killer Bs a warm fuzzy feeling. More of this theoretical, number crunching statistical crap, I'm sure. I wonder how Benintendi, JBJ and Betts feel reading that stuff? Somewhere in there, somebody is missing "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". Shades of Fatty at 3rd, Carl Crawford, DiceK, Drew, Esasky all HUGE busts and long gone on the infamous Timlin bus. Oh yeah, if I read it correctly the new Golden Boy, JDM, went offer in his Jet Blue Park debut yesterday, crunch that.

Interesting to note that the upper echelon somehow became aware that Cora and the Astros were using some statistical analysis to win games. They got really woozy over this and wanted Cora at the helm to share his magical 8-ball analysis. Crunch all the numbers you want, 9 humans go out there, not some whoop-dee-do, hot dog computer that spits out unending reams of analytical percentages.

Well, it is what it is...they don't give me a vote. Time will tell.

Keep swihart and dump Vasquez , maybe some other team likes the way he jogs out to the mound 75 times a game , I don't. Games are slow enough as it is

I agree with dump Vasquez and keep Swihart. I watched him playing high school ball and he is a genuine player to keep.

Steve,

Well, the Norwood - Nashua area just got 16" of fun. I'm told by relatives in NH that at one point it was REALLY coming down and windy, windy. Welcome to New England !!

As for Swihart, I think the injury thing is a factor...wrong headed as it might be, there's only so much room on the roster. The ax will fall for many soon. I caught part of a game and hardly knew anyone. Just like they pay ahead for an expected future performance (JDM for example etal), sometimes they also look back and see damaged goods...right or wrong. From what I've read, Swihart is generating a lot of calls to Yawkey Way, might be better for him to move on an excel elsewhere instead of languishing in the background. He'll be ok, one way or the other. Dumbrowski looks at too many stats I think.

The snow in Massachusetts is why I now live in sunny New Mexico! I'm sure they are getting plenty of calls on Swihart. Some teams are not as stupid as the Sox and like what they see. Of the 3 catchers they have now Swihart has much more upside than the other 2 that is why the other teams are after him. Swihart will soon be one of the top catchers in baseball, remember I said that in a couple of years.

So far I just can't get excited about the Red Sox but we shall see when the season starts. Other years I could hardly wait for the season to start.

It looks to me like Swihart is going to make the team. He has done well this spring
    Ortiz thinks the Yankees will win the division. What a traitor!

Marrero has been traded to the Diamondbacks and the Sox are in 1st place in the Grapefruit League. Sale hit in hip with a line drive today but appears to be ok.

I watched a good part of the game. Good for Marrero, it'll give him a shot at playing full time and not in the shadows.

Vasquez got a nice prize today, locked up for 3 years with an option. Haven't heard anything about Leon/Swihart, we'll see, 10 more to get the ax before next week. They have to get down to 25, or ride the bus in the minors. I don't think they carry 3 catchers on the roster, but who knows.

They have had Swihart playing about every position except pitching so far so I have a strong feeling he is going to stay but what do I know. I don't sign the checks.

Swihart's ankle thing is the big unkown, although he appears to have that behind him. Could be having him play 1st base and the outfield is a shopping tactic by Dumbrowski.

I doubt they'll just give him away, but Swihart is out of minor league options, so, no Pawtucket. They have to DFA him or trade him, or keep him. Maybe he's gone next week, who knows. He'd be an excellent team builder somewhere.

I'll bet he doesn't sleep well at night, and has his luggage packed and sitting by the door. Dumbo will do something soon, could be the big Easter Egg bust for Blake.

We shall soon see. The Sox beat the Yankees, Astros and the Cubs going into the end of spring training.

Thursday is the big day.

I predict 95 wins and 1st place for the Red Sox.

Anybody else want to chime in with a figure?

Yankees have a powerful team but will fall short by 4 games.

Cora chokes in opening day decision against the Rays. Up 4-0 in the 8th, and appear to be cruising to an easy win, oops, enter Cora and the Ray's score 6 to crush the Red Sox opener. What a one game waste...they all add up in October.

Boneheaded move to not bring in Kimbrel to close the deal, instead, opts to a lesser known pitcher and bingo, bango...Rays body slam the Red Sox. Even Farrell wouldn't have made this move.

Cora better wake up QUICKLY!! The wrath of Red Sox Nation awaits in the Fens.

I agree completely, except for one fact, Farrell would have don't the same stupid thing.
    You and I are the only ones on this thread I think but the rest are watching closely.

I follow this thread.

Well that makes 3 of us. I would have though more would reply after those 2 pitching performances even though they have not found their hitting shoes yet. Cora needs to make a couple of line-up changes today for sure.