Home Sports Talk

2018 official Boston Red Sox thread

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hated watching papelblown too. Here’s a fastball down the middle, let’s see what happens

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to believe a pitcher could have you so hate filled over throwing a baseball. I don't like poor performance either, but I sure don't get all twisted up over it. I do admit I have two $100 bets with a coupla Yankee fans at my club...which, if things keep going the way they are, I'll take some heat in October...fortunately, they're good sports, hopefully, I'll be collecting their Benjamins and not handing over mine.

As I've posted many times, I have zero patience for way over paid and way underperforming players. HanRam, Rusney Castillo and the Fat guy who used to play 3rd base come to mind. There are others, but these three were just mailing it in and hurting the team.

Others like to post nonsense here with no response or backup to posts when challenged. Maybe I'm finally done with this thread and future Red Sox threads...not much stimulation here or good dialog.

It was painful to watch Wright NOT have the knuckleball working today. Cora didn’t do him any favors waiting until a ten spot was posted

Wanted to turn away from game after 5 run deficit, glad i stayed with it :)

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't see to many games where 8 different hitters on one team had at least one RBI each,then having a player on the opposing team driving in 7 runs himself. That game was definitely a shootout.

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Hard to believe a pitcher could have you so hate filled over throwing a baseball. I don't like poor performance either, but I sure don't get all twisted up over it. I do admit I have two $100 bets with a coupla Yankee fans at my club...which, if things keep going the way they are, I'll take some heat in October...fortunately, they're good sports, hopefully, I'll be collecting their Benjamins and not handing over mine.

As I've posted many times, I have zero patience for way over paid and way underperforming players. HanRam, Rusney Castillo and the Fat guy who used to play 3rd base come to mind. There are others, but these three were just mailing it in and hurting the team.

Others like to post nonsense here with no response or backup to posts when challenged. Maybe I'm finally done with this thread and future Red Sox threads...not much stimulation here or good dialog.

We are not hate filled at all, we feel he is a great pitcher but it is hard to watch him sometimes when he tries to get that third strike by throwing off the plate and then gives up ball four and puts him on base.
    We want him to do well,
    As far as Pedroia goes we have to face the fact that he is getting on in years and the operation he had was very serious.
    I know about knee operations as I have had four of them and know what that does to you.
    I don't care what the doctors say as it is not them that has gone under the knife.
    Every one takes a big toll on someone and no matter how much you want to come back sometimes you can't.
    Ask Jerry Remy if you don't believe me.
    As for Castillo it was not his fault the Sox overpaid for him and will not bring him up now because the money he is making would just put them so far over the limit that they can not afford to do it.
    He would be an excellent hitter at this point in his career.
    Swihart has not had enough at bats to establish himself but put the bat on the ball tonight fairly well.
    He is capable of doing well but probably will be traded to a team that will give him that opportunity.
    I was not going to even look at this thread anymore because every time I say something you jump down my throat.
    I thought this thread was supposed to be a fun thing but I guess I was wrong !

Since you called me out...

You have made far too many posts that are without merit. You complain left and right and act as though you know best for the team, which you don't. We all have opinions, but yours are a bit over the top.

When challenged on some of your posts, there is no response. You have negatively posted about Cora, Kimbrell, Pedroia, Febles, Bradley, Beeks, Martinez, and really hammered Devers. But, within those posts are statements by you that you CANNOT support. BTW, Cora owns every game, all 162 of them, not just the onesy, twosey along the way when his decisions don't turn out well. He also owns the lineup card. That you would post "that games on Cora, that he had no business with that lineup, and you hoped he learned something" Really? Says who? He's trying his best to field a team that will excel, not falter and lose. How else do player get exposure, sitting in the dugout?

You take each game as though it were some serious surgery and I don't think you allow yourself to appreciate the game for what it is and even appreciate the play of the opponents. That you actually leave the room when Kimbrell is pitching, says volumes about how intense you watch these games. When the team does well, you're happy, when a player makes a mistake, or the manager's decision doesn't go well, you're on them like white on rice.

I'd bet my baseball card collection that when it got to 10-5, you were ready to hang Cora.

So, you keep on with your hot and cold posts...I think I'll take a break and do other things, but I'll be sure to read your posts and analysis of how things are going.

edited June 23, 2018 6:30AM
  • pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I know you do not enjoy my posts so I will not make any more on here and you can have the forum all to yourself. You have driven many people off here with your sarcastic remarks about their posts so I do not feel I am the only one. I hope you win your bets. Good luck.

Sadly, but, as expected...when you can't defend your posts, or positions, you lash out with nonsense and the equivalent of a childish tantrum. I challenge posts, or respond in kind...it's you who are incapable of supporting what you write, not me. If you can't handle a challenging inquiry to what you do post, then you shouldn't post it. And, there are a litany of these. If you think I'm supposed to go along with everything you write, that ain't gonna happen. It's called an exchange of thoughts and ideas.

Just for the record, I've enjoyed many of your posts...once again, you post from frustration and anger...as expected.

It would have been much easier had you posted some supporting proof, or even a generic comment for your allegations about various statements you've posted...of course, you cannot. I won't waste time to cite or quote them, they're all here to be read by all.

Wow, what a horrible person I am for having driven many people off the thread...of course you have no way to justify your comment, only once again lashing out, thinking I'm gonna go feel bad...not so. People are free to post for or against me, I always have my big boy pants on and can support any comment I make...you OTOH, want to write in a hurtful manner, thinking this will somehow bolster your nonsense. Won't work.

My personal wagers have no place here, and I shouldn't have posted them. Matters not if I win or lose, I'm sure you are concerned about my $200.00...I'm sure your "good luck" was tongue in cheek. I assure you, I can handle losing, but prefer to win.

Perhaps you should take a moment Steve and reread what you've posted over time about various players, from the manager on down and absorb them a bit. Maybe then you could appreciate an inquiry about what you wrote.

Don't stay off here because of me...as I've stated before, it's just a game, no more, no less. I do have issues with players who are grossly overpaid and do not appear to make an attempt to play well. I try to enjoy the games for better or for worse...you OTOH make it sound like life and death with every twist and turn.

Despite your trying to trash me, I sincerely wish you well.

Nice sweep by the Rays over the Yankees...and a Red Sox win, to put the Yankees and Red Sox tied for 1st place.

Now come the Angels, then on to the Bronx for the Red Sox. Should be some exciting baseball in the next week. The Yankees get the Phillies for 3, maybe the Phillies can do some damage.

Jackie Bradley Jr has got 6 hits in his last 7 at-bats,hopefully he can keep it going.

Yup, Bradley had a great game...I guess he didn't need to use whatever that clause was in his contract that would allow him to basically self-demote into the minor leagues to work on his swing. Someone posted that not long ago, but, I never heard of such a thing where a player could send himself someplace other than where management wants him to be. The poster did ask "has anyone else heard the rumor...about JBJ"?, so, the poster must have heard something somewhere.

I did ask the poster, but he never responded to where HE heard the rumor. I think maybe the batting cage and some coaching must have helped him. B)

Hope the Sox can continue to roll....big, big series this weekend!!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Jackie Bradley Jr has got 6 hits in his last 7 at-bats,hopefully he can keep it going.

hopefully he has a good stretch and they take advantage of it to dump him because he sucks, 6 out of 7 , then he will go 0 for 50

Well bronco...I think it's pretty safe to say you don't collect JBJ jr cards.

But, I must say, 0-50 is a bit of a stretch.

JBJ saves plenty of runs. I've been a fan since day one and am not wavering. Someone has to hit ninth.

The bottom of the order has been mostly producing during the past couple weeks. It may be Bradley one night,Devers the next then Vasquez or Leon another night but overall i think most Sox fans would take how they've been playing. I think Bradley Jr is what he is at this point and Boston has no real reason to move him when they're playing as well as they've been.

JBJ and Devers tonight. I like it.

Yes, and Kimbrel's pitching, crushing Trout, was impressive! One walk and three strikeouts in the 9th...save # 24!
    Can't complain about that.

so who gets bounced to make room for Pearce?

Well I was lined up to go to the game Thursday night but I'm glad I didn't buy the tickets in advance . We held off and planned on buying them at fenway but after wandering around for 4 or 5 hours in town we were pretty soaked and bailed. It was going to be standing room only seats and it didn't seem too appealing. The rain wound up tapering off but I know if I had bought 6 tickets it would not have done so. :D

@Barndog said:

did they add anyone to the roster when they just sent Wright to the DL?

So, Bronco...being fairly familiar with Boston, where on earth did you "wander around for 4 or 5 hours"?

I wouldn't have bought SRO tix either...BTW, the last 3 games of the season are Yankees in Fenway, Fri-Sun, Sept 28-30. Better get them quick, they could be the tickets of the season!!!

@erikthredd said:

@Barndog said:

did they add anyone to the roster when they just sent Wright to the DL?

Justin Haley (RHP for the pen). Guess who will get sent down, LOL, just a guess!

@MCMLVTopps said:
    So, Bronco...being fairly familiar with Boston, where on earth did you "wander around for 4 or 5 hours"?

I wouldn't have bought SRO tix either...BTW, the last 3 games of the season are Yankees in Fenway, Fri-Sun, Sept 28-30. Better get them quick, they could be the tickets of the season!!!

I had family in from Colorado , it was my nieces birthday and we aimed to do a surprise game at the end of the day . So we road the green line in and hit the aquarium and then quincy market , then we were going to make our way back towards fenway and casually hit the ticket office. Rain was torrential in the morning then kind of came in waves through out the day so it wasn't looking good. Being a cheapskate I tend to park at the supermarket in chestnut hill for free and walk to the station , it has a tiny parking lot that I would pay to park at but there is never a space.

I had tried earlier in the week looking on ACE ticket and stub hub etc . , but I was watching the weather all week so absent grandstand seating I wasn't going to put $500 on a credit card and get saddled with tickets to a washout. Plus I like physical tickets in my hand , call me old fashioned but I always saved stubs if games were important to me and how do you do it with a lousy eticket?

Speaking of Ace ticket , and stub hub , that whole ticket broker thing pisses me off quite a bit. Why do these Dbags essentially get a free pass to scalp tickets but I don't ? I don't consider reselling tickets to be a moral issue so why squash the little guy and let these companies do it?

The SRO tickets purchased at Fenway might have been ok in retrospect , there are places to sit you can't see the field , but a group could stake out an area and people could sit a little when nothing was going on switching off. If it got really wet for $30 each I guess you could just leave. I just don't like the idea if it turns into one of those extra innings games where some of the party don't really care and would just want to bail and others would want to stick it out .

Not a good showing tonight

Bronco...I assume age of visitors kept you out of Cheers. Riding the T is always a thrill for out of town visitors, especially when it sparks a bit in the catacombs. Is the Prudential open to visitors to check out the skyline from the top? I think it was closed for a while after 9/11. Museum of Science might have been a good option, but, not knowing the entourage ages, maybe not. Quincy Market at least provided good food and the Aquarium was an excellent choice. Hoofing Freedom Trail, or taking in the North End with the rain was out of the question. Not a good day for the killer cannolis there.

I've not been in Boston for a good while, but was born and raised in Lowell. I've ridden the train into North Station several times just to hang in the city..."back in the day", with High School buddies.

My dad used to haul us into Fenway and somehow he seemed to always get tix in that little area (kinda slice of pie place) in deep center, to the right of the 420' sign. Good memories... have seen Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle play there...long ago and far away.

You might wanna work on those September tix before they get beyond outrageous!! I see folks up in the Monster seats and kids just goofing at the tv in the first row behind home plate...many don't look like they have two nickels to rub together, but, somehow they get killer seats.

Sox kinda stunk up King George stadium tonight...hopefully a better effort tomorrow.

More offensive performances like tonight please!

Hopefully and mercifully, the Red Sox will trade Swihart. He's gonna slowly but surely die on the vine and his skills will never improve with little or no playing time. The playing time he does get is all over the place...his batting performance is dismal.

Great game tonight...gotta love the Devers uber-dinger in the first. How sweet to hear the quietness in the Bronx.

Great bounce back game from everyone tonight,hopefully Captain Fortnite comes to pitch tomorrow night in the rubber match.

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice catch by JBJr. Only hope he can improve on his hitting.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Heard someone last night compare Jackie Bradley Jr to Marcus Smart and thought that was a great comparison. All defense- no offense.

Price, $31 million per year. Well done

So is that some sort of record? 5 HR in 3.1 innings?

Now we see why Price was ducking the Yankees earlier,I'm sure he'll take it out on some unsuspecting reporter in the locker room in the next couple days.

Gotta say, I really never thought Price was the pitcher he was touted to be...a Dumbrowski acquisition that went south. Wow, 8 ERs and 5 HRs...now 9-6 record. I guess $31 million for 6 months of playing a kid's game doesn't buy what it used to.

Hitters didn’t help any either. Seems with Severino and Sabbathia, NYY get to be spotted the first two games in a seven game series. Sox need to figure that out by October

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shellshocked,bombs away.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

Some reporter asked price last week if he was excited to pitch afgainst the Yankees and he got weird. Talk radio guys here were speculating he was going to miss a start for some made up reason , maybe he should have.

How sad is it when Rick Porcello in one at-bat drove in as many runs as Blake Swihart has had in 78 at-bats.

@erikthredd said:
    How sad is it when Rick Porcello in one at-bat drove in as many runs as Blake Swihart has had in 78 at-bats.

Figuring he’s gone in a transaction before the trade deadline.

Swihart takes a called strike 3 tonight...this doesn't help his situation. He already has dismal numbers...I wonder if, or how he prepares for games, if at all, or just suits up and heads to the field, hoping to make the starting lineup...ain't gonna happen. His value (IMO) is fading fast. If I'm correct, I think the trade deadline is about 4 weeks away...surely he's gone by, or before then. Once a top prospect, he lost some serious playing time and I don't think he ever recovered well enough for the Red Sox to favor him over Vasquez or Leon.

Timing is everything, and I think the sand in the hour glass is just about gone for Blake Swihart in Boston.

Three in a row over Washington. Pretty sweet given they had to face Scherzer as one of those three

@Barndog said:
    Three in a row over Washington. Pretty sweet given they had to face Scherzer as one of those three

Who knew Porcello would hit such a sweet double in game one?? B)B) Loved the happy smile on his face standing at 2nd base...I hope they gave him the ball.

@MCMLVTopps said:

@Barndog said:

Who knew Porcello would hit such a sweet double in game one?? B)B) Loved the happy smile on his face standing at 2nd base...I hope they gave him the ball.

David Price could do that too , except he has that hand injury from playing video games. What does porcello cost the team compared to price?

@bronco2078 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

@Barndog said:

David Price could do that too , except he has that hand injury from playing video games. What does porcello cost the team compared to price?

Price is PRICEY...$30m, Porcello $21m...Mookie Betts, $10.5m. Price will be a perennial problem...hope I'm wrong.

I wish Price would pitch better so the Sox would be in a better position to win and so that he opts out of his contract

Living high in the strike zone is a dangerous game

Porcello let up three runs in seven innings. That's supposed to be a good start for a pitcher, so kudos. I prefer two runs in seven innings as the yardstick, but I'm not in charge of stats. Offense came through again, just took a few more innings to get going.

How long can NYY, HOU, and BOS keep up this torrid pace? It's unreal.