Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 official Boston Red Sox thread

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

not impressed with 3B coach Carlos Febles so far.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

I never even heard of the guy until the sox hired him.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just returned from 2 weeks in Italy. The best of the best would be Positano and the Amalfi coast, with Capri and Sicily a close second. Had perfect weather and got to see some amazing things...if you can go...GO! A beautiful place to visit!! Crazy, crazy drivers!
    The flight home was a bear, a grueling 11.5 hours thanks to headwinds of 120 mph.

Glad to see the Red Sox playing so well and hanging on to first place. I'm almost tempted to get the extra innings package, but then I'd watch all the games, wouldn't go over to well with the queen.

GO Red Sox!!

• Options

Hi Al,
    I'm glad you had a good time my friend. We only have a short time in our life to enjoy these things. Get the MLB package it is worth it. You can always tape a game if your queen wants to do something. Thats what I do.
    Steve

• Options

David Price...uber-overpaid and woefully underperforming. 5 innings, 5 runs. With a 2-3 record, he is rapidly becoming the new Mike Timlin. Like so many past Red Sox acquisitions, he's laughing all the way to the bank.

Fortunately the Royals are coming and the Yankees face Houston.

• Options

I wish the Sox would stop buying these "has been" so called superstars. Not many of them work out in the long run. The latest Martinez is not exactly working out very well as a prime example. He had a good year last year and the sox could hardly wait to open up their wallet for him.

• Options

How crazy is this??????

Saturday in San Francisco, El Sapo Gordo...aka Pablo Sandoval, pitched a perfect 9th inning for the Giants in a crushing defeat by the LA Dodgers 15-6. I'm surprised he didn't hurt his back sloshing all that weight around throwing from the mound.
    Well, I guess they finally found some use for this mook.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pitboss said:
    I wish the Sox would stop buying these "has been" so called superstars. Not many of them work out in the long run. The latest Martinez is not exactly working out very well as a prime example. He had a good year last year and the sox could hardly wait to open up their wallet for him.

Isn't Martinez top ten in the AL in average,RBI,slugging % and Obp %?

• Options

Martinez is getting mostly singles and he was toted to be a big power guy.
    The problem the sox are having right now is their catchers are not hitting a lick. Cora refuses to put Swihart in there to see if he can help the situation. Swihart has only had a few chances to hit this year so even if they decide to trade him they will get nothing for him in return. Showcase him at catcher for a while he may surprise everybody, except for me. He can not be any worse than what they now have out there.

• Options

@pitboss said:
    Martinez is getting mostly singles and he was toted to be a big power guy.
    The problem the sox are having right now is their catchers are not hitting a lick. Cora refuses to put Swihart in there to see if he can help the situation. Swihart has only had a few chances to hit this year so even if they decide to trade him they will get nothing for him in return. Showcase him at catcher for a while he may surprise everybody, except for me. He can not be any worse than what they now have out there.

Gotcha, i honestly don't watch many games but i do keep up with how they're doing. Martinez power will probably come around eventually but at least he's driving in runs right now.

• Options

Very sloppy play last night with 4 errors including one by the catcher that I have never seen before. Got big 3 year contract and stopped hitting as well.

• Options
    edited May 2, 2018 1:21PM

Mookie just had a helluva game with 3 homers. From espn: "it was his fourth career game with three home runs, breaking a tie with Ted Williams for the most in franchise history."

Four 3-homer games doesn't seem like much when you think about all of the home run hitters Boston has had over the years.

edit:a quick Google search came up with this 3hr/game Red Sox list from 2016:
    http://sonsofsamhorn.com/baseball/majorleaguebaseball/al-east/boston-red-sox/boston-red-sox-three-home-run-club/

• Options

Is there a worse contract in baseball than Price at $31 million per year?

• Options

Not if your name is Price! Just another big contract for the sox to pay. He is worthless!

• Options

Thanks Price for ruining my rare opportunity to watch the Red Sox play. Your PATHETIC record of 2-4 is worthy of a single A ball club.

You are such a LOOOOOOOOOOOZER!!!!

• Options

Mookie is absolutely killing the ball right now. Just hit his 5th homer in the past 3 games.

• Options

That was a great game tonight no errors and no Price pitching.

• Options

last game I went to in Texas (2009?), we sat in the "all you can eat" section. I figured nobody was going to hit a ball up here. Anyway, Devers hit one there last night. What a shot that was!

• Options

With out Price pitching up to expectations the Red Sox will be in big trouble for the next few years. That contract had to be the dumber than even fat boys contract.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great game last night

• Options

Yes it was a great game.

• Options

Not bad winning 3 out of 4 but the Yankees are keeping up with them. The next 3 games with the dreaded Yankees will be interesting.

• Options

I hate the Yankees. Tough loss

• Options

for all of his "greatness," I can't stand to watch Kimbrel. Glad I was out getting my daughter from a track meet today when that cluck was pitching.

• Options

Ughhhk another loss to the Yanks, did I say how much I hate the Yankees?? :s

• Options

Just when I thought it was game, set, match...Kimbrell implodes.
    Tough loss to the Yankees.

David "I'm waaaaaaaaaaay overpaid" Price, now has a minor case of carpal tunnel syndrome. A twinge here, a twinge there, I don't feel good, I felt something...it just goes on and on with this bozo.

How is it that the Red Sox management continue to bring in such loooooooozers? Shades of El Sapo Gordo...another one laughing all the way to the bank. Maybe DUMBrowski needs to go.

• Options

I get very nervous when I see a ground ball hit to third base. You never know if it is going to be fielded or, if so, where the throw to first base is going to end up. That is leading to too many games being lost this year.

• Options

The Sox have so much money to waste how about a trade. Machado for Devers , Bradley and Price ( they would probably have to eat some money). Then give Machado whatever he wants to sign for 10 years. I doubt Devers will ever learn to throw the ball. Third base has been a problem for years.

• Options

I don't think 3rd base is the problem...I like Devers. The problem is no key hits and the bullpen imploding. We were winning up to the bottom of the 8th inning, then the bottom fell out.

• Options

Sniped a 1 run win over the hated Yankees and it made my night :)

• Options

Mine too but once again I got very nervous when the Yankees hit that ball to third base.
    First Devers bobbled it and then threw the ball in the dirt which Moreland made a great pick.
    Devers definitely needs to work on his throwing.
    He really needs to go back to Pawtucket for a while.
    We will soon have Petey back and it will be a good opportunity for that to happen.

• Options

The ball to Devers was hit at 114 mph...I don't get the hate on Dever thing. It was scored as a hit, so, no foul on Devers.

2018 Season Dever stats
    AVG .259
    HR 6
    RBI 23
    OBP .303

"Then give Machado whatever he wants to sign for 10 years." That's part of the Red Sox problem, throwing untold fortunes at future performance, when in fact most of the time it doesn't materlialize. Machado is not the Red Sox answer, Dever is doing just fine. I think your suggestion to make some trades is giving up way too much talent for the return..

Having Pedroia back will shuffle the deck chairs a bit, but I doubt it'll have much impact at 3rd base...could be wrong, but I think Devers is gonna be just fine. And, who would replace him at 3rd? Certainly not the all-around utility guy Holt, or Nunez.

Odd that you omitted Kimbrel's throw to Moreland to end the game...nice pick by Moreland, but still, Kimbrel made the throw.

These are just my opinions...everybody's got one.

• Options

I don't hate Devers and he is a great prospect, but I just think he needs a little more time at Pawtucket to work on his problems. If they continue he is doing too much damage in a close American east race. The majors is not where to work them out and either Holt or Nunez could work at third for a short time while he does this. Kimbrel is not 21 years old and a trip to the minors can not happen. Kimbrel's problem is in his head and he just plain does not like to come in in anything else but the 9th inning. Thank God for Moreland.
    These too are just an old timers opinion for sure.

• Options

Devers has already spent time at Pawtucket. Clearly, the Fat Boy's implosion made an opportunity for Devers, and I think he fits it well, be he 21 or 41, he's gonna play 3rd base. He is obviously light-years better than Fatty, and his performance (IMO) warrants him staying exactly where he is. He can only improve at the MLB level, not AAA or lower.

As for Nunez, a simple "google" will find ample stories reflecting his disappointing performance at the plate. When Pedroia returns full time, I think you'll see Nunez as a bench player, and Holt as the "all around" utility man. How they chose Nunez over Jed Lowrie is a mystery to me.

The sickeningly overpaid, whiner, Price will at some point be gone. His stats are abysmal and I think management has seen the hand-writing on the wall. Money ain't the answer.

I think there would be an epic uprising if JBJ jr were traded...although anything is possible, the more likely trade would include Swihart and some dead wood in the bullpen. Other teams have expressed interest in Swihart, and he's undoubtedly anxious to move on to display his skills, which ain't gonna happen in Boston. Vasquez and Leon, right or wrong, are kinda locked in at catcher. I was more concerned with passed balls by Vasquez, than anything Devers has done at 3rd.

Moreland is beginning to lock up 1st base with his bat and catching skills...so, do they rotate JD and HanRam at DH and give Moreland the occasional day off at first? HanRam could be trade bait as well, along with Swihart and a couple of slugs in the pen, might pull a key player to the Red Sox.

• Options

They do have dead wood in the bullpen for sure that will change later this month.
    Vasquez and Leon are not the answer as they can't hit a lick but the manager does not want to give Swihart a chance and will probably be traded before he ever gets that chance.
    Ramirez needs less at bats so he does not kick in his appearance clause and becomes a free agent.
    Bradley has been a very weak hitter since he came up but should draw interest on the market.
    The Sox have both Benentendi and Betts that can play center so that makes Bradly expendable.
    No one wants Ramirez.
    Swihart can hit and play left field. Someone or someone's need to go and go quickly if the sox are going anywhere this year.
    We shall see what that bozo general manager decides to do.

• Options

what a surprise, Hanley jogging the base paths (except for the last fifty feet) and is out at home. Ride some pine and learn.

At least Febles was wise enough to tell him to hold up, for a change.

• Options

A tough loss to Toronto after Sales pitches a gem with FIFTEEN Ks

• Options

Sales is such a stud, he is a very unselfish teammate as well.

• Options

@pitboss said:
    I don't hate Devers and he is a great prospect, but I just think he needs a little more time at Pawtucket to work on his problems. If they continue he is doing too much damage in a close American east race. The majors is not where to work them out and either Holt or Nunez could work at third for a short time while he does this. Kimbrel is not 21 years old and a trip to the minors can not happen. Kimbrel's problem is in his head and he just plain does not like to come in in anything else but the 9th inning. Thank God for Moreland.
    These too are just an old timers opinion for sure.

My point was so evident yesterday when Devers made a great play and then on the very next play he threw the ball way over the first baseman's head for another error. Where are the coaches to show him his errors?

• Options

You are obsessing over the Devers thing. Why would the coaches need to show him anything? Don't you think he's aware of any good/bad throw he makes?

Devers also went 2/4 with an RBI...odd again, how you leave that out of the equation.

It's only baseball, don't get your BP up over such inconsequential stuff.

Red Sox won the game...case closed.

• Options

I agree that he is going to be a great player.
    Third base is a tough position to play and he knows he makes bad throws.
    Hopefully the coaching staff spends a little more time working with him on this as it is in his footwork.
    I have never even heard of these coaches before so don't know what they are capable of doing to help him.
    So far I am not very impressed with Mr Feebles but I could be wrong, we shall see.

• Options

Steve,

It is inconceivable to me that ANY player on ANY team that has ANY playing issues, is not having some discussion with some coach or management official. In this case, I can all but guarantee that Devers is probably working on his throwing, surely he's not in the clubhouse texting and eating pizza. Don't forget, he batted .500 yesterday, I think it's a bit shallow to focus on one throw, as opposed to his other accomplishments during that game.

As for the no-name coaches, I'd find it also hard to believe that they don't have some modicum of talent to hold the position to which the Red Sox management have hired them to do...only makes sense.

Tis only baseball my friend...they put no money in my pocket, or bread on my table. I want the team to win, but I don't get very tweaked when something goes off the rails...other than total incompetence like Fatty and his new friend OVER-Priced.

Life's a short, short ride, other things to focus on than a 3rd baseman!

Al

• Options

I understand what you are saying but you have not watched him all year. He is doing this every game and it needs to be corrected if he is going to be a major league third baseman. It is a correctable problem and I am sure he will correct it.

• Options

Martinez is really coming on strong with another homer and Betts made another spectacular catch today. I'm glad I was wrong about the signing of Martinez!

• Options

"He is doing this every game"

That statement by you is simply wrong, and you know it. If you're going to make statements, make them from a position of fact, not embellishment. If Devers played as poorly as you state, he'd be in Lowell in single A ball, or at Wendy's.

You are overly-obsessed with Devers performance...actually, you're beginning to embarrass yourself with some of your analysis and statements.

I'm done with this thread for a while...pointless, really. My life doesn't revolve around the Red Sox.

• Options

Al, all I am saying is he has a problem throwing the ball to first base and he has had it all year. He very seldom makes a good throw to first base.

• Options

Its being reported that Blake Swihart's agent asked the Sox for a trade out of Boston.

• Options

I don't blame him the way he is being ignored. Cora doesn't like him for some reason.

• Options

Big decisions have to be made with the Red Sox catcher position as they have two catchers that are hitting in the .170 range but are good receivers and one catcher that is not experienced but has been a good hitter in the past and has not been given a chance to prove what he can do as a receiver.

• Options

Price had a great game tonight and Devers showed of a much improved arm in tonights game. Of course Betts had another great game and Martinez and the X man had home runs.