Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 official Boston Red Sox thread

1141516171820»

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

And they resigned Thornburg. Maybe he will be recovered and give them at least one good season?

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 5, 2018 9:22PM

Sox are very close to re-signing Nathan Eovaldi to a 4yr/70M deal. This would be great news.
    https://weei.radio.com/blogs/john-tomase/nathan-eovaldi-reportedly-nearing-four-year-deal-remain-red-sox

That is a pretty solid pay raise going from 2M to roughly 16-17M.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Seeing has how the Sox did so well in 2018 I propose I open the 2019 thread come January
    . I don't claim to have won it for them but why stop a rolling ball.

• Options

Multiple reports now of agreement between the Red Sox and Evoldi. It is said it now is just a matter of a physical taking place which is great news for both parties if true.

• Options
  • Options

Wonder if they will have injury language in the contract (if TJ needed again)

• Options

What is the Red Sox next big move? Are they going to wait out the market and see who signs where or are they going to make another splash signing. I myself think they will wait out the market and see what happens as there are plenty of good players left to choose from that will go at bargain one year prices come the January/ February time frame including some presently with the team now.

• Options

I just hope they leave Kimberly to someone else!

• Options

I doubt if you will see him back. He wants a 6 year contract at big money. He thinks he is the best thing since ice cream.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Red Sox Re-Sign Nathan Eovaldi
    By Jeff Todd | December 6, 2018 at 4:22pm CDT

4:22pm: The deal has been formally announced. Per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (via Twitter), Eovaldi’s guarantee will actually be an even $68MM over the four-year term.

Assuming 30 starts X 4 years (120 starts over the life of the contract) = $566,666+ per start. Pretty sweet deal for doing this only 6 months a year. Glad to have him back.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Red Sox Re-Sign Nathan Eovaldi
    By Jeff Todd | December 6, 2018 at 4:22pm CDT

4:22pm: The deal has been formally announced. Per Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports (via Twitter), Eovaldi’s guarantee will actually be an even $68MM over the four-year term.

Assuming 30 starts X 4 years (120 starts over the life of the contract) = $566,666+ per start. Pretty sweet deal for doing this only 6 months a year. Glad to have him back.

think they will shoot for 30 starts per year or take it easy with him and have him skip a few in the name of caution? Something like what they did and will likely need to do again with Sale?

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:

think they will shoot for 30 starts per year or take it easy with him and have him skip a few in the name of caution? Something like what they did and will likely need to do again with Sale?

I only used "30" as an average number to illustrate his paycheck per start. More than likely, he will start fewer games, rainouts, etc, etc, which may well reduce his starts, thus increasing (by default) his actual pay per start.

I am always amazed at how MLB salaries are spoken of in terms of "per year", when in fact MLB players only play from April to September...if they make the playoffs, their salaries increase by a portion of playoff monies. Yes, I'm aware of Spring Training, but those games are just non counters to me. I do recognize that 81 games for each team are road games, and they do sacrifice certain personal issues, like kid's little league games, etc, BUT, occasionally, I'm sure family members travel with them, especially those who have no children. Not a horrible sacrifice, but a sacrifice nonetheless...overall, a great life to have, for sure!

Were I to have ever been in that position, I would treat myself to a corvette collection of every one from 1953 to present. A kinda way out there fantasy, but having once owned two, a 1969 and a 1973, once the corvette bug bites, it's a hard itch to scratch, but OH, what a wonderful itch it is!! Mecum and Barrett-Jackson oftentimes leave me staring at my tv in awe! A road trip through Utah or Montana in a corvette roadster, is next to Nirvana for me.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@Barndog said:

Were I to have ever been in that position, I would treat myself to a corvette collection of every one from 1953 to present. A kinda way out there fantasy, but having once owned two, a 1969 and a 1973, once the corvette bug bites, it's a hard itch to scratch, but OH, what a wonderful itch it is!! Mecum and Barrett-Jackson oftentimes leave me staring at my tv in awe! A road trip through Utah or Montana in a corvette roadster, is next to Nirvana for me.

At 28 years old, I would probably treat myself to a host of STDs. It would be really bad for me to have that much cash and nothing to do on the road. >:)

• Options

The major reason Eovaldi signed with the Red Sox was he wanted to remain as a starter and his other offers were either for closer or out of the bull-pen to save his arm.

• Options

it would be bad business not to listen to offers on just about anyone. Ship the lot of them to LA for Mike Trout

• Options

They can afford to dump Bradley as they have plenty of outfielders and he should bring a lot of interest from teams after his gold glove win.
    Porcello won 17 games for them last year and is in his contract year so may also bring some needed bullpen help.
    I don't see them trading Bogaerts though as they don't really have a replacement for him but you never know.

• Options

Reports are that Kimbrel wants 6 years and nine figures. I say good luck to him .

• Options

I am glad Kimberly will not be cheap, so the Sox won't be tempted. And Kelly had three good weeks and will get overpaid by about a couple to three million per year, good on him.

• Options

I hope, for Kimbrels sake he has saved his money, because if he has not there will be nobody in their right mind that will pay him the kind of money he wants. Even the Red Sox, with all the stupid deals they have made, are not going to pay him that kind of money as they have too many young players they need to keep happy in the next couple of years.

• Options

@pitboss said:
    I hope, for Kimbrels sake he has saved his money, because if he has not there will be nobody in their right mind that will pay him the kind of money he wants. Even the Red Sox, with all the stupid deals they have made, are not going to pay him that kind of money as they have too many young players they need to keep happy in the next couple of years.

I think just the Phillies have fessed up to willingness to spend stupid money this year, so that must be where he is going!

• Options

plus, he was pretty much lights out against them in the game I saw in Philadelphia in August. So maybe they remember that.

• Options

@Barndog said:
    plus, he was pretty much lights out against them in the game I saw in Philadelphia in August. So maybe they remember that.

Stupid money does not always work out well. Just ask the Red Sox about some of the players they are still paying.

• Options

@pitboss said:

@Barndog said:

Stupid money does not always work out well. Just ask the Red Sox about some of the players they are still paying.

:D Is Carl Crawford off the books yet? What about Kung Fat Panda?

• Options

Mookie Betts beat out all athletes including NFL, NBA,NHL and BLB for athlete of the year. What is it going to cost the Red Sox to sigh him in 2 years? I say at least $4 to 5 hundred million and a 10 year contract. What do you all say?

• Options

@pitboss said:
    Mookie Betts beat out all athletes including NFL, NBA,NHL and BLB for athlete of the year. What is it going to cost the Red Sox to sigh him in 2 years? I say at least $4 to 5 hundred million and a 10 year contract. What do you all say?

nobody worth that. And I sure hate the rumors and stories surrounding the Sox wanting to resign Kimberly. :(

• Options

I do not know Betts so can not say what is in his mind but he is sure waiting out his chances as the Sox have been trying to sign him long term for a couple of years and he is willing to wait.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭

Sure hope they do not resign Kimberly but he sure is not getting much love wanting a 6 year contract. I would not take him for more than 2 years and MUCH less money.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, Betts and the sox agreed to a $20 million salary for this year. Nice and this is just a beginning for him if he stays healthy. It should be interesting when he becomes a free agent.