Home Sports Talk

2018 official Boston Red Sox thread

Comments

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

how do E Coast or even Central zone folks stay awake for these games? I'm AK time and the game is going late by my standards.

Plus, watching Kimberly makes me want to vomit

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    how do E Coast or even Central zone folks stay awake for these games? I'm AK time and the game is going late by my standards.

Plus, watching Kimberly makes me want to vomit

i'm on the east coast and thankfully this game finally ends. We got double the Kimbrel stress tonight with him pitching the 8th & 9th.
    Just one more to go.

the greatest thing about Kimberly pitching two innings is that in no shape or form will we have to see him tomorrow

Some amazing outfield play by Reddick and Benintendi!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

Huge WIN again!! GO SOX!!!

• mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

If the Sox win one out of the next three and win this series (and I am pretty confident they will barring a major collapse/disaster):

JBJ is my ALCS MVP

Kimberly is my ALCS LVP/MVC

I will leave it up to you guys to figure out what the L in LVP and the C in MVC stand for ;)

Hint: the C in MVC DOES NOT stand for closer :D

• pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

This was the first time I wanted to see Price come into the game in the 9th inning this year.
    Kimbrel is toast !
    Price will now get to see if he is toast too today.
    I don't know how you guys stay up to watch these games on the east coast but also don't know how you could possibly have turned the game and went to sleep without knowing the results.
    At least todays game will be 1/2 hour earlier.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

One of, if not THEE most exciting playoff games you will ever see. From the Altuve non-homer on, it was a nail biter. The throw by Betts, the catch(??) by Reddick and the catch by Benny were simply incredible. If Benny misses the catch, the Astros win...the catch of his career, no question. How appropriate that Bregman...instagram poster of Eovaldi's home runs...makes the last out, and he went 0-4. :) BTW, the Reddick catch, on replay, shows the ball hit the ground...you can Google it to see. I guess not a reviewable play.

Kimbrel brought me to the edge of my seat on every pitch. As anticipated, he almost blew it...AGAIN. He is shaky at best and may well play a negative role in the WS, if the Sox make it. I doubt the Sox resign him when he becomes a FA. He has lost command of his pitches, all of them.

Only gotta win one out of three...Verlander tonight vs Price. Hopefully the Sox stay focused and continue to play on.

Once again, the odds makers and all their statistical mumbo jumbo come up short, by a good margin.

GO RED SOX

I don't think the umpires would have been able to see convincing evidence to overturn Reddick's catch. It would have been reviewable, just like the catch by Kemp the day before.

I guess we should cut Kimbrel a little slack as it was his 4th game in a row to pitch and 2 innings at that which he has not ever done before but I am still glad he is a free agent this year as he always makes me very anxious when he pitches.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2018 8:04AM

Houstonian here who is a tepid fan during the reg season, but morphs into a full-blown homer once the playoffs roll around. I tip my cap to the Sox and then some; it didn't take me long at all to realize how they reached 108. Goes without saying that rolling into H-town and taking the first two is not at all what anyone here expected. Finish this thing off tonight and the entire city will be in a comatose state.

Couple of ancillary thoughts.

Is scheduling these games so they'll end at a decent hour considered to be chimera? How do you East Coasters do it? Last night I was fully immersed over here in CST land, but even I couldn't make it until the final out. Suffice to say I was rather agitated when I read about the high drama at the end.

And what exactly is Kimbrel doing on the mound prior to a pitch? Is that some sort of pterodactyl intimidation tactic?

you'll never be able to outrun a bad diet

@pitboss said:
    I guess we should cut Kimbrel a little slack as it was his 4th game in a row to pitch and 2 innings at that which he has not ever done before but I am still glad he is a free agent this year as he always makes me very anxious when he pitches.

LOL

No slack. In game two: one inning, one run (two hits). In game 4: first inning he pitched: Single (thanks to Mookie Betts, resulted in an out), then a HBP, then a double, then a groundout scores a run. The ninth inning was the first "clean" inning (defined only as zero runs scored!) I can recall him pitching in forever. Yeah, he did walk the bases loaded. So he pitched just in two of the four games, had ample rest in between, and he still sports a 6.00 ERA, thanks to Mookie Betts and Andrew Benintendi. 35 pitches will keep him on the bench today, even if a closer is "needed."

Quite sure some team will pay him too much next year, but likely not a team that has any memory of his performance during the last four or five weeks.

Hopefully it will not be the Red Sox. I'm sure we can find a closer somewhere to fill that gap. The Sox do need to put in a qualifying offer so they can get something back for him though.

@galaxy27 said:
    Houstonian here who is a tepid fan during the reg season, but morphs into a full-blown homer once the playoffs roll around. I tip my cap to the Sox and then some; it didn't take me long at all to realize how they reached 108. Goes without saying that rolling into H-town and taking the first two is not at all what anyone here expected. Finish this thing off tonight and the entire city will be in a comatose state.

Couple of ancillary thoughts.

Is scheduling these games so they'll end at a decent hour considered to be chimera? How do you East Coasters do it? Last night I was fully immersed over here in CST land, but even I couldn't make it until the final out. Suffice to say I was rather agitated when I read about the high drama at the end.

And what exactly is Kimbrel doing on the mound prior to a pitch? Is that some sort of pterodactyl intimidation tactic?

Refreshing to see an opposing fan say decent things. Sportsmanship!! Yankees fans take notice.

As for me, I live between Atlanta and Augusta, GA...Eastern time zone, and I stayed up till the Benintendi spectacular catch. I think it was all said and done some time after 1AM here...and then some of the interviews. Being retired, it's no big deal to me...wouldn't have missed a pitch. Just thankful the start wasn't West Coast time...I admit it's a bit of a challenge to hang in with Angels and Mariner's games. No doubt a lot of very weary Red Sox Nation fans who drank a lot of Dunkin' Donuts coffee this morning. They were tired, but thrilled for the win.

As for Kimbrel's wing thing with his right arm. As I recall the explanation not long ago by him...at some point in his pitching career, he found that posture to be the most comfortable for him...odd as it looks. Of course it generates untold mockery by the opposing first 10 rows or so behind home plate fans, to which he's become immune.

I give ZERO slack to Kimbrel's performance. He was a heartattack in just about every game he came in, against the Yankees he damn near gave away the door prize more than once. IMO, if he doesn't find his command of his pitches, he shouldn't be a closer, more like a mid-level reliever. The manager goes to his closer to shut the door, not walk people, hit people, allow homeruns and tighten the game. I used to give him more latitude, thinking it was just a bad outing or two, but last night did it for me...if Benintendi doesn't catch the ball, it goes to the wall and 3 runs score with a walk off. Kimbrel should owe Benny Ruth's Chris steaks for lilfe!.

Houston has a great team, no doubt. I suspect with Verlander up tonight the expectation of the Houstonians will be an easy win...may not be so. The Red Sox CRUSHED the Yankees in the Bronx...I doubt Judge will be blaring NY, NY on his little boy boom box near the Red Sox dressing room anytime in the future. Much like uber-ego Bregman who put the Eovaldi instagram out with the 3 homers. It's just bush league crap to me...do your talking between the lines...odd, isn't it, that Bregman went 0-4...and Benny caught the closing out from Mr. 3rd Base. Try some humble stuff Bregman.

Obviously things have swung seriously in favor of the Red Sox. I can't imagine them losing 3 in a row...maybe tonight, but going back to Boston brings a certain magic to the moment. Stats and odds prognosticators have done very poorly. Anything can and probably will happen in the next 1, 2 or 3 games.

Can you imagine how Cora must feel, and if he wins it against his old team?? If the game is close tonight, expect to see starters trying to hammer it down.

BTW Galaxy...if your travels ever take you to Boston during baseball season, you MUST go to a Red Sox game...you'll know why when you see the place. Make sure you get left field seats if it's a day game, the sun will cook you in the bleachers or anywhere along the right field area.

GO RED SOX

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are any other Red Sox fans tied of listening to the two Astros “homer” announcers that TBS has hired for this series? I’m sick of them. They are constantly complaining about the call they didn’t get before the Martinez home run. These two guys can’t even pretend that they are evenhanded as they should be for a national broadcast.

They have been like this for the whole series. It’s always, “Boston and the Astros.”

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited October 18, 2018 8:31PM

Oh lord! Kimball is warming up! We could lose this one yet!

I think I am wishing for a post season ending sore arm for the first time. :/

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

David Price is redeemed!

BOSTON RED SOX AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Houston was a tough team, we caught more breaks than they did...congrats to Houston for a great season and series.

HEADING TO THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!

Great win and kudos to David Price for finally getting the monkey off his back.

Just four more wins to go!

Price needs to carry that spirit into the WS. Would love to see him pitch game three (after Sale and Eovaldi) to get his second postseason win.

• mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

YEAAAAAAAH!!!!! :):):):)

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright. 4 more to go. Looking forward to the series.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
    edited October 19, 2018 1:26AM

congrats, gents. i always call things like i see them when it comes to sports, and what i saw was a 103-win team getting ambushed. i know games aren't played on paper, but this is Boston's championship to lose. just keep doing your thang-thang and nothing unforeseen will happen.

oh, and when Price was dealing like a boss last night, one person kept coming to the forefront of my mind.

@bronco2078 !!!!!

come on man, give it up for DP!!! :p:p:p

@MCMLVTopps said:

BTW Galaxy...if your travels ever take you to Boston during baseball season, you MUST go to a Red Sox game...you'll know why when you see the place. Make sure you get left field seats if it's a day game, the sun will cook you in the bleachers or anywhere along the right field area.

duly noted!

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Houston gave up 29 runs to the Sox in 5 games.

WORLD SERIES BOUND!!!!!!! GO SOX!!!

Gotta say it...Price was a beast last night. He pitched brilliantly and was the obvious key to the win. Even though he threw a lot of warm up pitches Wednesday night, he came in prepared, spot on and made us all proud. A big salute to Price for a truly amazing performance...may your skills stay intact and help the team win the WS.

As for Kimbrel...I really thought Eovaldi was gonna come back, or another starter from the bullpen. Cora made the right choice, saving arms and allowing Kimbrel some resurrection of sorts. Kimbrel got it done, but when I saw him come in, it was a few seconds of expletives, thinking with a 3 run lead could he hold the Astros.

How good was the 3 run bomb by Devers??? Off of Verlander, of all people! And, it wasn't a cheapie, he got all of it. He has some ways to go, but I think long term, he's gonna be a brilliant 3rd baseman for the team. JD...thanks for waking up!!

If we have to play the Dodgers...oh ye of Red Sox Nation...prepare for 10PM Eastern starts, which mean late, late game endings. I'll be in it till the end. Milwaukee needs to win 2 or adios.

BOSTON RED SOX WORLD SERIES BOUND...A-G-A-I-N

GO RED SOX

Oh yeah...the odds makers had the Astros last night at -185 to the Red Sox +165. They had the Astros favored in all three games in Houston.

Makes my point....stats and number crunchers (much like my blackjack friends, so obsessed with stats), mean NADA. The article I read went on to say that over 10,000 simulated games generated the line. Oh yeah, so how did this wonderous machination not know that Dever would crush a Verlander pitch for a 3-run game winner? Or, that a missed called strike 3 by the umpire would give JD another shot and then the homer?

Anything can and will happen...stick with your team. What a birthday gift to Cora !!

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    congrats, gents. i always call things like i see them when it comes to sports, and what i saw was a 103-win team getting ambushed. i know games aren't played on paper, but this is Boston's championship to lose. just keep doing your thang-thang and nothing unforeseen will happen.

oh, and when Price was dealing like a boss last night, one person kept coming to the forefront of my mind.

@bronco2078 !!!!!

come on man, give it up for DP!!! :p:p:p

I always thought he had the skill , he just had some sort of mental issue which he overcame last night to his credit.
    Maybe his teammates helped encourage him or maybe the fact that Sale is not going to do it made him step up and take charge.

However it happened its good news , plenty of rest now for those that need it too.

Just saw that Jackie Bradley Jr was named ALCS MVP. He definitely deserved it,hopefully he keeps the clutch hitting up for one more round.

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Special year, Special team, Go Sox

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

Lavangie says he found Kimbrels mechanical problems and fixed them before yesterdays game. He sure looked like the Kimbrel of old last night. Lets hope !

I guess you could play Betts at second. That was his original position. You can't take JBJ out of the game at this point ! and you can't sit Benintendi.

I'd rather see Betts move to second, JD go to right and JBJ staying in center. I think its better to lose whatever they might get out of the second base platoon over JBJ's hot bat this past week.

Sounds good to me ! :):):)

GO SOX!!!

Get your pizza and beer lined up guys, here we go!

BEAT LA !

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's Go Redsox!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.

Weather in Boston is rainy and cold. Rain is expected to let up by game time, but the temperature should be in the upper 40s, maybe very low 50s. A very damp and dreary New England kinda day. Wednesday's weather will be more of the same, sans the rain. Cold...watch how the fans are dressed, that'll tell the story.

So, the question comes, can Kershaw handle the ball in these conditions? What about the players not used to such conditions? Not being familiar with the wall (as Benny is), could be some very interesting baseball coming up.

GO RED SOX

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

tornado watch :D passing just north of me raining at fenway I guess

tarp is off...but still gonna be cold for those palm tree guys.

Devers gets the start, I think he earned it!

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here we go. Lets Go Sox!

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

One down! Great team effort tonight, hopefully Price can keep it going tomorrow night.

Awesome W!! GO SOX!!!

• ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the Sox are able to solve Kershaw, this is not good news for the Dodgers.