Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 official Boston Red Sox thread

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 18, 2018 8:31PM

Oh lord! Kimball is warming up! We could lose this one yet!

I think I am wishing for a post season ending sore arm for the first time. :/

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

David Price is redeemed!

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

BOSTON RED SOX AMERICAN LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

Houston was a tough team, we caught more breaks than they did...congrats to Houston for a great season and series.

HEADING TO THE WORLD SERIES!!!!!!!

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great win and kudos to David Price for finally getting the monkey off his back.

Just four more wins to go!

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Price needs to carry that spirit into the WS. Would love to see him pitch game three (after Sale and Eovaldi) to get his second postseason win.

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

YEAAAAAAAH!!!!! :):):):)

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alright. 4 more to go. Looking forward to the series.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2018 1:26AM

congrats, gents. i always call things like i see them when it comes to sports, and what i saw was a 103-win team getting ambushed. i know games aren't played on paper, but this is Boston's championship to lose. just keep doing your thang-thang and nothing unforeseen will happen.

oh, and when Price was dealing like a boss last night, one person kept coming to the forefront of my mind.

@bronco2078 !!!!!

come on man, give it up for DP!!! :p:p:p

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

BTW Galaxy...if your travels ever take you to Boston during baseball season, you MUST go to a Red Sox game...you'll know why when you see the place. Make sure you get left field seats if it's a day game, the sun will cook you in the bleachers or anywhere along the right field area.

duly noted!

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Houston gave up 29 runs to the Sox in 5 games.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

WORLD SERIES BOUND!!!!!!! GO SOX!!!

• Options

Gotta say it...Price was a beast last night. He pitched brilliantly and was the obvious key to the win. Even though he threw a lot of warm up pitches Wednesday night, he came in prepared, spot on and made us all proud. A big salute to Price for a truly amazing performance...may your skills stay intact and help the team win the WS.

As for Kimbrel...I really thought Eovaldi was gonna come back, or another starter from the bullpen. Cora made the right choice, saving arms and allowing Kimbrel some resurrection of sorts. Kimbrel got it done, but when I saw him come in, it was a few seconds of expletives, thinking with a 3 run lead could he hold the Astros.

How good was the 3 run bomb by Devers??? Off of Verlander, of all people! And, it wasn't a cheapie, he got all of it. He has some ways to go, but I think long term, he's gonna be a brilliant 3rd baseman for the team. JD...thanks for waking up!!

If we have to play the Dodgers...oh ye of Red Sox Nation...prepare for 10PM Eastern starts, which mean late, late game endings. I'll be in it till the end. Milwaukee needs to win 2 or adios.

BOSTON RED SOX WORLD SERIES BOUND...A-G-A-I-N

GO RED SOX

• Options

Oh yeah...the odds makers had the Astros last night at -185 to the Red Sox +165. They had the Astros favored in all three games in Houston.

Makes my point....stats and number crunchers (much like my blackjack friends, so obsessed with stats), mean NADA. The article I read went on to say that over 10,000 simulated games generated the line. Oh yeah, so how did this wonderous machination not know that Dever would crush a Verlander pitch for a 3-run game winner? Or, that a missed called strike 3 by the umpire would give JD another shot and then the homer?

Anything can and will happen...stick with your team. What a birthday gift to Cora !!

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@galaxy27 said:
    congrats, gents. i always call things like i see them when it comes to sports, and what i saw was a 103-win team getting ambushed. i know games aren't played on paper, but this is Boston's championship to lose. just keep doing your thang-thang and nothing unforeseen will happen.

oh, and when Price was dealing like a boss last night, one person kept coming to the forefront of my mind.

@bronco2078 !!!!!

come on man, give it up for DP!!! :p:p:p

I always thought he had the skill , he just had some sort of mental issue which he overcame last night to his credit.
    Maybe his teammates helped encourage him or maybe the fact that Sale is not going to do it made him step up and take charge.

However it happened its good news , plenty of rest now for those that need it too.

• Options

Just saw that Jackie Bradley Jr was named ALCS MVP. He definitely deserved it,hopefully he keeps the clutch hitting up for one more round.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Special year, Special team, Go Sox

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Lavangie says he found Kimbrels mechanical problems and fixed them before yesterdays game. He sure looked like the Kimbrel of old last night. Lets hope !

• Options

I guess you could play Betts at second. That was his original position. You can't take JBJ out of the game at this point ! and you can't sit Benintendi.

• Options

I'd rather see Betts move to second, JD go to right and JBJ staying in center. I think its better to lose whatever they might get out of the second base platoon over JBJ's hot bat this past week.

• Options

Sounds good to me ! :):):)

• Options

GO SOX!!!

• Options

Get your pizza and beer lined up guys, here we go!

BEAT LA !

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's Go Redsox!

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options

Weather in Boston is rainy and cold. Rain is expected to let up by game time, but the temperature should be in the upper 40s, maybe very low 50s. A very damp and dreary New England kinda day. Wednesday's weather will be more of the same, sans the rain. Cold...watch how the fans are dressed, that'll tell the story.

So, the question comes, can Kershaw handle the ball in these conditions? What about the players not used to such conditions? Not being familiar with the wall (as Benny is), could be some very interesting baseball coming up.

GO RED SOX

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

tornado watch :D passing just north of me raining at fenway I guess

• Options

tarp is off...but still gonna be cold for those palm tree guys.

• Options

Devers gets the start, I think he earned it!

• Options

Here we go. Lets Go Sox!

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
  • Options

One down! Great team effort tonight, hopefully Price can keep it going tomorrow night.

• Options

Awesome W!! GO SOX!!!

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the Sox are able to solve Kershaw, this is not good news for the Dodgers.

• Options

Great game ! Kimbrel got it all together to close it out,

• Options

Other than the brain cramp by JD trying to steal second, it was a game superbly played. Two lost opportunities for the Dodgers, one a cheap out at first, the other near 3rd base, both dropped. How brilliant was Cora's move to bring in Nunez to replace Devers at 3rd? The previous walk to JD paid big dividends with the 3 run dinger by Nunez. That took the wind out of the Dodgers.

Cora's managing of the pitching staff is brilliant...I anitcipated seeing Eovaldi and was thrilled to see him come in. I actually felt ok with Kimbrel, as it appears he's made the adjustments needed to get back command...hopefully he stays together.

Tonight's game will be a bit drier, but the wind chill will be in the 40s, moving into upper 30s as the game closes. The Dodgers simply have little experience with such cold conditions. Should the Red Sox win tonight, I think it's game, set, match. They'll be in 80+ degree weather for games 3, 4, 5.

Exciting game, big win. Game one win is always a BIG step to win it all.

GO RED SOX

• Options

Spot on Al! GO SOX!!!

• Options

@pitboss said:
    Great game ! Kimbrel got it all together to close it out,

supposedly, we have Eric Gagne to thank for that (told Kimberly how she was tipping her pitches).

Cora has pulled a lot of strings, nearly always right this year. Love it!

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

Keyshaw has a hard time in the All Star and WS games. Manny is sure proud of his braids How long will it take before he gets into it agains with a Sox player. Wish the Brewers would have been there

• Options

Having seen my other team, The Phillies, win the first WS game from the Orioles many years ago and then lose the Series, I’m with Yogi Berra. “It ain’t over till it’s over.”

• Options

@BillJones said:
    Having seen my other team, The Phillies, win the first WS game from the Orioles many years ago and then lose the Series, I’m with Yogi Berra. “It ain’t over till it’s over.”

Couldn't agree with you more Billjones, like the 2004 WS when the Yankees had the Red Sox by the throat, up 3-0 in the ALCS and then the miracle...eight in a row for the big win.

BUT, I'd be willing to say that if the Red Sox win tonight in game 2, it is OVAH. No way do the Dodgers win 4 out of 5 vs the Red Sox winning 2 out of 5. Huge advantage Red Sox.

Caught a bit of Buck Martinez being interviewed at Fenway this afternoon. I found his comment on the Dodgers and weather interesting..."the Dodgers have only played in 3 games this year under 60 degrees". A few Dodger players may be used to cold conditions, maybe Machado being with the Orioles, but wind chills into the 40s is pretty cold for anybody, especially trying to play baseball. Even cccccold for me, and I used to live there.

GO RED SOX

Let's hope Price is on his A-game!!!

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

A crossover from the US Coins forum:

• Options

I can see the marketing of a photo of Benentendi's running, leaping catch he made in left field. A freeze frame photo will make a great autographed piece. Go Sox.

• Options

Price turned in another excellent performance. Whew. And how about the two-out heroics of late?

• Options

Halfway there! Price came thru bigtime tonight,anyone know which of Porcello or Eovaldi is starting game 3?

• Options

As actor Matthew Mcconaughey likes to say:Alright,Alright,Alriiiiiiight.

• Options

Great win...HUGE advantage to the Red Sox.

Porcello will go in game 3. The question is JD, Benny, Mookie and JBJ. Does Cora play Betts at 2nd??? I think so.

Heading into 85 degree ++ weather. How do the Sox not win it all? Too many things going their way.

GO RED SOX

• Options

Would love to see Betts play second base! If a lefty starts for LA, maybe then JBJ sits one out. At least Kinsler got a hit tonight, that's a start!

• Options

Huge W! 2 more to go!!! GO SOX!!!