Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 official Boston Red Sox thread

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:

@Barndog said:
    That game was on Cora. Start to end, wrong personnel and no motivation to win

Big time. Disaster even starting Price against a team that owns him.
    Porcello threw 18 innings against the Yankees at Fenway and gave up 3 hits and 0 runs
    in 18 innings. Porcello was a disaster at Yankee stadium this year. So Porcello gets
    a start in NY instead of Fenway ??????

Kinsler at 2B instead of Brock Holt ??? Really ? Holt's hitting 100 points higher against Tanaka lifetime and Holt is on fire now while Kinsler is struggling at the plate ????

Swihart is hitting .375 against Tanaka ?

LOL+ Somebody who makes decisions for this team is a freakin' idiot.

verily. I commented to my brother before the game started that it looks like Cora consulted with Francoma prior to filling out his lineup card.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    This is hilarious, Aaron Judge trolling the Red Sox locker room after the game carrying a boombox blasting "New York,New York"
    https://weei.radio.com/blogs/alex-reimer/aaron-judge-played-new-york-new-york-boombox-while-exiting-fenway-park-troll-red

It’s bush league so far as I’m concerned.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Best of five series with both teams with one win apiece correct? There is still plenty of baseball to be played. Bosox fans "stay calm and carry on JDM's shoulders"...

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

That is what we like. Now keep scoring more runs as I still don't trust the bullpen.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 more to go. Hope they saved some runs for tomorrow. Kudos to Holt for the cycle achievement.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
  • Options

Holt's cycle made history. First cycle ever in baseball playoff history. On the anniversary day of NY Yankee Don Larsen's perfect game in the 1956 World Series.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

1 more game to get past the hated Yankees! Unbelievable game by Holt, let’s hope they saved enough runs to get another W! Hopefully that Bush league Aaron Judge motivated them.

• Options

Sure would be nice to finish it in yankee stadium after judge played that boom box in our stadium !

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    Holt. Amazing

+1

Had a chat with a buddy yesterday, consensus was Dever and Holt in the lineup last night....Benny was iffy, but certainly glad he played, with Moreland not 100%. It's the short distance to left field that made the obvious choice for Cora. An amazing achievement by Holt. Loved how the place got so quiet and thinned out quickly.

GO RED SOX

• Options

Maybe Aaron Judge's stunt with the boom box in Boston will work out like pulling on a lion's tail and not expecting him to get PO'd.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

We shall soon know what Porcello has for tonight.

• Options

Cora just continues to make the right moves with the line-up. With CC starting tonight wonder if Alex sits Benny and Brock.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigmarty58 said:
    Cora just continues to make the right moves with the line-up. With CC starting tonight wonder if Alex sits Benny and Brock.

well not in game 2 though :D

• Options

3-0 Red Sox , 3rd inning with 59 pitches thrown by the yankee pitcher. Keep it up guys !

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

Horrible win. I only say that because our "closer" sucks in pressure situations. He is more of an "opener" for the opponent. We were lucky to win. For eight innings everything was clicking--starting pitching, bullpen, offense, defense--Sale mowed em down 1-2-3 in the 8th and Kimberly (as I like to call him) comes in and practically ruins it. Threw almost as many pitches in the 9th as Porcello did in the first four innings. He should buy Steve Pearce a Rolex for getting the true "save" by catching that ball and keeping his foot on the base. Shouldve been an easy 4-1 win.

• Options

Too bad the beer can didn’t knock Kimberly out of the playoffs

• Options

How ‘bout them Sox!!! The best the Yankees in the playoffs, that is reason enough to be happy! I know Kimbrel is a liability but whatever they won and that’s the bottom line. I doubt they get past the Astros however if they don’t win the World Series it’s a successful season after knocking the hated Yankees out especially after that clown Judge trolling them AND that money trap Stanton not doing much. GO SOX!!!

• Options

The ninth inning Red Sox looked the faded “Pink Sox” of old. The “closer” didn’t have anything last night. The Sox dodged a bullet last night.

• Options

That 9th inning was sure a hard one to watch but they beat the yankees so all is good.
    Still some hard baseball to come though so they have to get ready for the Astros now.
    GO SOX !!

111 <3<3<3

• Options

Typical BUSH LEAGUE , POOR SPORT, WHINEY LITTLE GIRLIEMEN Yankee fans. They always feel sooooo entitled to win everything, most looked apoplectic as they went crazy over just getting an out. Then there's the beer can toss...would NEVER happen in Fenway, and I've witnessed a lot of Yankee/Sox games there. The opposing pitcher oftentimes got a standing ovation for his performance. They should ban canned beer amongst the crazy entitled whackos.

MAY THE YANKEE LOSS STING AND STING AND STING to all Yankee fans.

Oh yeah...did your team enjoy listening to "New York", "New York" blaring from the Red Sox locker room??? Hope so!!!

Kimbrel is a heart attack...maybe he's gone soon...no consistency. It was brilliant to bring in Sale. Cora will be the manager of the year, Mookie gets MVP, and the Yankees get what the bird left on the pump handle.

GO RED SOX

• Options

Well said Al, and it feels extra sweet that Aaron Boone made questionable decisions to help his team lose lol

• Options

Thanks Paul...hope you're doing ok.

A good read on last night and what's to come.
    http://time.com/5420119/boston-red-sox-new-york-yankees-division-series/

• Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    Congrats to my Sox fan card collecting brethren. Boston out hit, out pitched and out managed the Yankees in this series. Not even close! Enjoy the next series.

WOW, a Yankee fan with some class...you a very RARE individual. Nice.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    Congrats to my Sox fan card collecting brethren. Boston out hit, out pitched and out managed the Yankees in this series. Not even close! Enjoy the next series.

WOW, a Yankee fan with some class...you a very RARE individual. Nice.

Agreed, this guy has been a gentleman here for as long as I can remember.

• Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:

Love it and I’m surprised it was Pedroia who brought it up. I question his leadership at times but this is good

• Options

I know I previously posted a 5 game series prediction. Was I ever so glad I was wrong. That bottom of the ninth was one for the books in drama. GO SOX.

• Options
    edited October 10, 2018 11:35AM

Although this was from October 4th, not long ago, I thought Sox fans would enjoy this.

https://nypost.com/cover/covers-for-october-4-2018/

Don't forget to look on the "back cover"...just click link at bottom.

B)B)B)

• Options

@1970s said:
    Are you guys OK with David Price starting game 2 against the Astros ?

Umm NO

• Options

@1970s said:

no he can pitch out of the bullpen though I mean that is already at rock bottom how much damage can he do there ?

• Options

Price needs to go.

Cora will give him a start, after all, they're paying this guy a bajillion bucks a start...hopefully, the bats save the day. I like the bullpen idea.

• Options
    edited October 10, 2018 3:17PM

@BaltimoreYankee said:

Very classy, Yanks played hard and had a good year also!

• Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:

Thank you for your civility, and for not throwing a beer can at us. :)

• Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭

@1970s said:

Better Overpriced than Kimberly I guess....

• Options

THEY say that THEY have found Prices problem and fixed it. I think the only thing that will fix his problem if for his contract to disappear but what do I know..

• Options

Not a Price fan, figure Cora has earned our trust for the game though!

• Options

Cora has no other place to go at this point so he has to use him but I'm sure he has a very short leash for Price.

• Options

Felger and Mazz think Price gets game 2 because there is a day off afterwards. The entire bullpen will need the rest if they pitch 8 1/2 innings :D

• Options
    edited October 12, 2018 5:57AM

@bronco2078 said:
    Felger and Mazz think Price gets game 2 because there is a day off afterwards. The entire bullpen will need the rest if they pitch 8 1/2 innings :D

If that’s the case so be it, I would have no problem pulling him right out of there and doing an all hands on deck approach. It’s complete nonsense that a guy needs 2 or 3 days off from 3 innings pitched anyways

• Options

Seven year contract for an astounding TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTEEN MILLION.
    Let's crunch some numbers...

Normal year, a starting pitcher gets 30 starts. 30 X 7 = 210 starts in 7 years...assume no injuries, blah, blah. Now...
    $217,000,000.00 / 210 = $1,033,333.33 per start. This guy is a Dave Dumbrowski acquisition from their days in the Tiger organization. I haven't researched his "injuries" or other BS, don't care to...BUT, Price is nowhere near worth the cost the Red Sox pay him for the performance realized.

Anybody here get $1.033m for approximately 2 hours of throwing a baseball?? I doubt Price's performance on Sunday (hope I'm wrong), will be a stellar one, given his past performance. He and Kimbrel are sketchy at best. The Red Sox are stuck with these two for now, but I'm sure Cora is laser focused on both as the games begin. I doubt anybody is gonna pick up the tab on Price anytime soon. Odd, isn't it the Price wears # 24.

Shades of the Sandoval nightmare, $95m for nada. AGon was no gem either, but at least he was in the game.

GO RED SOX

• Options

I think Kimberly is a FA after this year. Looking forward to that! Some other team will overpay for his "services"

Price can opt out after this year. Snowball's chance in Hell of that happening. Nobody else would pay him anywhere near the $31 million/year he is getting.