Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 official Boston Red Sox thread

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bigmarty58 said:
    Is Kimbrel hurt? Last week he was not throwing many breaking pitches. Opposition is sitting on his fastball.

he's reminding me of Papelbon is his last year or two with Sox, "here's a fastball over the heart of the plate, let's see what you can do with it"

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Kimbrel continues to be a mystery...not the closer he was not long ago...more like the heart attack closer, contantly giving up base runners. I really thought he was gonna blow this one.

Well, in spite of Kimbrel, the game ended well and the Sox remain 9.5 ahead of the Yankees. More good news...while the Red Sox are chilling tomorrow, the Yankees get a make up visit from the Mets and deGrom to boot!!! B)B)

• Options

I almost couldn't watch (but I did) Kimberly in the ninth. Someone will spend on him after the season and be disappointed that they did.

• Options

Hey Yankee fans...I hear Dandy Don Meredith warming up...you guys are all but toast for the AL East title.

TEN games up

GO RED SOX

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭✭

Now 10 game lead !

• Options

We need a 3rd baseman that can throw the ball to 1st base !

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 16, 2018 12:19PM

Cleveland vs. Boston for a four-game series that should be a nice display of the upcoming playoffs before the rosters expand. the only downer for the Tribe is that a few key players that will be ready for October will be out for these games, most notably Edwin Encarnacion and Trevor Bauer.

the neat thing about a four-gamer is that the whole rotation will pitch, at least the heart of it. anyone know who the Sox will match Kluber and Carrasco with??

BTW, I see Boston with the edge on Offense, Cleveland with the edge on Defense, Cleveland with the edge on Starting Pitching and Boston with the edge on Relief.

• Options

Devers to the DL list and Kinsler coming back. I hope they keep him in Pawtucket to work on his throwing before bringing him back up. They have adequate 3rd base coverage while he works out his problems.

• Options

Now Sale back on DL.

• Options

The Red Sox AAA team is moving from Pawtucket to Worcester, MA. Looks like a done deal, which will include a new stadium in Worcester. Sad for those in the Pawtucket area who have enjoyed the team's long history of 45 years and the main rehab spot for major Red Sox players. Lots of memories for them, no doubt...now I'm sure the finger pointing will begin.

No doubt the new location will be a big draw for the southern areas of Vermont, New Hampshire, northern Connecticut and local Worcester area residents.

Not sure going from being called the Pawsox to the Woosox is a plus.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Hey Yankee fans...I hear Dandy Don Meredith warming up...you guys are all but toast for the AL East title.

TEN games up

GO RED SOX

The division title belongs to the Sox. Only thing that matters to Yankees fans is a WS title. That is the Yankee fan curse ;)

Daniel
  • Options

well, these next four games should be nice. am I correct in believing that Game 1 will be Kluber vs. Porcello, or put another way 2017 CYA winner vs. 2016 CYA winner?? should be good. the key as I see it is how soon each Team goes to their 'pen and how well the managers use them during the four games.

let the fun begin!! :)

• Options

it is funny how the big pitcher match-ups never work out as expected. tonight the Red Sox got to Kluber early and then he shut them down later, Porcello shut the Indians down early and then they got to him later. still six outs to get against a very tough line-up with the top of the order due in the ninth(or the eighth).

I think it was before the All-Star game, the Indians played the Yanks and it was Kluber vs. Severino. it was a dud, I think they both gave up 4-5 runs.

• Options

Leaving eleven LOBs didn't help the cause.

Still 9 up.

• Options

seems that I have heard before "good pitching beats good hitting"

Cleveland seems to have the good pitching. Sox pitchers need to step it up for October

• Options

6-3....................two up, two down and two to go. all this is being done with the bottom of the Indians order and Brantley, neither Lindor or especially Ramirez have done much and the y usually set the tone. next up for Cleveland is Carrasco so it doesn't get an easier. today's pitcher, Bieber, has been a surprise coming up with no expectations, he seems solid.

• Options
    edited August 23, 2018 3:37AM

the Red Sox put up some good swings against Carrasco and fouled off a lot of pitches. they also hit some good pitches well, the bases loaded double was the killer, it was a thing of beauty.

• Options

Nice win as the bats came alive...should be another win today given the match up.
    Gotta love those Marlins.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 23, 2018 7:14AM

Hopefully the Sox can keep the bats going and go on a rampage. I didn’t like seeing them up just 8 games lol I want North of 10

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like Mitch Moreland just got hurt and had to come out of the game. They're saying its a left knee contusion.

• Options

Did not get to watch game today, box score tells me Price did a wonderful job. Maybe he will opt out? That would free up 31 million to be used toward locking up some other players!

• Options

He says he has no intention of opting out,
    Why should he as he could not get more money elsewhere and just how much money does one person need anyway?

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Looks like Mitch Moreland just got hurt and had to come out of the game. They're saying its a left knee contusion.

There is an "eye bolt" at the base of the camera area that he slid into...I'll bet they remove it...and they should. Can't figure what purpose it would serve, given the liability of sliding into it for a fly ball, as witnessed today.

• Options

Red Sox lacking spark and offensive output, almost like they're just going through the motions. Waaaaay too may LOBs, especially RISPs.

The Yankees capitalizing on the hapless, more than 50 games back Orioles, and the lead is now whittled down to 7 games, and 6 back in the loss column. I still think the Red Sox will take the division, and the remaining games, mostly in Fenway, further favor them. They need to play better and lock things down, 3 games coming with Atlanta and 3 with Houston...time to tighten the cushion. I managed to get tix from my buddy for the Tuesday night game in Atlanta, whose company has season tix...can't wait to hear the fans with the insane "tomahawk chop" stuff. B)

They still have 6 games with the Yankees...the Yankees appear to have the tougher schedule, especially with the upcoming west coat trip to Oakland and Seattle.

GO RED SOX

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:

They still have 6 games with the Yankees...the Yankees appear to have the tougher schedule, especially with the upcoming west coat trip to Oakland and Seattle.

I think the strength of schedule shows the future Yankees opponents at a 49% winning percentage and the Sox opponents at 51%.
    That being said, no way the Yanks catch up this year - the 4 game sweep in Fenway a few weeks ago sealed the deal. Sox are finishing first and then we see what happens in the post season, just like last year.

Daniel
  • Options

Sox have seemingly lost ability to hit over the course of the last week or so. :o

• Options

Yea this best not be 2011 again

• Options

Well, the good news is that they have a day off.

The bad news is that they went from 10.5 up to 6 up in about a week. They better find their A game quickly

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

I'll bring the chicken if you grab the beer

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@perkdog said:

I'll bring the chicken if you grab the beer

Let’s get a playoff spot first!

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope this ain't 1978 all over again.

• Options

We need Sale back quickly for sure.

• Options

Nice win by the White Sox last night to help the cause.

Back to 6.5 up...6 up in the loss column...hopefully the White Sox continue and we handle the Marlins. They can cool off when the Red Sox go to Chicago.

• Options

wow, bullpen totally sucked, with the leader of the garbage in the pen blowing another save. Kimberly, glad he will be a free agent and hopefully remembered for what he did so well (put guys on base and give up runs during crunch time) and goes elsewhere next year

• Options

A much needed walk off W!

• Options

Right now the Rays would make a better playoff team than the Red Sox !
    They have a month to get it back together or it will be another case of " wait till next year".

• Options
    edited August 29, 2018 6:36AM

@tommyrusty7 said:
    They have a month to get it back together or it will be another case of " wait till next year".

The Red Sox are 91-42, with a home field record of 47-18, AND, according to ESPN stats, they have a NINETY NINE. NINE % chance of making the playoffs. The Rays OTOH have (according to ESPN stats) a 0.1% chance of making the playoffs, and are 20 back in the loss column. IOW, they're toast. Care to put a little meat on the bone of your thinking the Rays are a better playoff team? That they swept the Red Sox is no big deal, but that must have given you the notion that they are the better playoff team. Oh, the Rays lost last night.

The Red Sox do not have, nor do they need a "month to get it back together", they have it together now, with a few bumps in the road. Check the Red Sox schedule vs the Yankee's schedule, you will clearly see that this year's AL East Title will most likely be won by the Red Sox by a fair margin. And the best part is that Aaron Boone will be in Fenway when his teams flames out and must face a Wildcard spot.

With just 29 more games to play, subtracting the 6 up in the loss column, = 23 games to play to win the title. With the Red Sox having a winning percentage of .684, I think the math says it all. One sweep does not make a great team!

Should the total collapse happen, I'll be the first to post my astonishment...I do plan however to collect my 2, $100 bets from 2 Yankee fans at my club...which I will relish beyond words, having been brow beaten by them since April.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@tommyrusty7 said:

The Red Sox are 91-42, with a home field record of 47-18, AND, according to ESPN stats, they have a NINETY NINE. NINE % chance of making the playoffs. The Rays OTOH have (according to ESPN stats) a 0.1% chance of making the playoffs, and are 20 back in the loss column. IOW, they're toast. Care to put a little meat on the bone of your thinking the Rays are a better playoff team? That they swept the Red Sox is no big deal, but that must have given you the notion that they are the better playoff team. Oh, the Rays lost last night.

The Red Sox do not have, nor do they need a "month to get it back together", they have it together now, with a few bumps in the road. Check the Red Sox schedule vs the Yankee's schedule, you will clearly see that this year's AL East Title will most likely be won by the Red Sox by a fair margin. And the best part is that Aaron Boone will be in Fenway when his teams flames out and must face a Wildcard spot.

With just 29 more games to play, subtracting the 6 up in the loss column, = 23 games to play to win the title. With the Red Sox having a winning percentage of .684, I think the math says it all. One sweep does not make a great team!

Should the total collapse happen, I'll be the first to post my astonishment...I do plan however to collect my 2, $100 bets from 2 Yankee fans at my club...which I will relish beyond words, having been brow beaten by them since April.

we don't have the pitching period. Cleveland for instance would smoke us in the playoffs with pitching. We have 1.5 starters and thats being generous.

Frail Sale , and Double Half-Price are not going to win one round it will have to be hitting that wins the games. 12-10 games with 10 pitchers throwing are an ulcer in the making

• Options

The Rays by no means would win in the playoffs but at this point neither would the Red Sox as their pitching right now sucks. The hitting is a strong point for sure but they they can't keep getting lucky like what happened last night. Sale and Rodrigues need to come back strong for them to have a shot at winning anything in the playoffs.

• Options

Red Sox crushed it tonight...nothing like scoring eleven runs in one inning!!

• Options

Price looked terrible for his three innings (3 ER). Sale and Rodriguez should be back soon!

• Options

Yankees lose too! Up 7.5

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,235 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2018 4:47AM

@Barndog said:
    Price looked terrible for his three innings (3 ER). Sale and Rodriguez should be back soon!

Hopefully by the time Price's next start comes around. I wouldn't be surprised if he misses his next turn after taking that shot off his pitching hand last night.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@Barndog said:

Hopefully by the time Price's next start comes around. I wouldn't be surprised if he misses his next turn after taking that shot off his pitching hand last night.

He might have to lay off the Fortnite too, if its serious

• Options

Mookie!

Saves Porcello’s bacon

• Options

Tigers get 3 in the top of the 9th with long ball to sink Yanks 8-7. B)

Boone looked like he had just swallowed a 20 penny nail. I love the fact that he's gonna be staring at that scoreboard come late September and see his Division chances disappear...of course the Division series is another story, but will enjoy Boone's AL East failed attempt. With the Sox now 8.5 up, and given their schedule vs the Yankees, I'd say this thing is a lock! B)

Red Sox pull off another 7th inning comeback. Gotta say, Swihart is really looking good, not only with his bat, but throwing out steal attempts to 2nd base. Apparently he just needed more exposure and playing time. Not sure what happens when Vasquez returns...I'd kinda hang onto #23.

Yup, they did save Porcello's bacon, he looked pretty bad.

• Options
    cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2018 12:52PM

Does anybody think J.D. will win the AL Triple Crown? Currently 2nd in BA @ .336 (Betts .342 / Altuve .329), T-1st in HR w/ 39 (Khris Davis 39), 1st in RBI w/ 114 (Khris Davis 103).

I think Miggy did it 2012 and before that Yaz in 1968.

Jeff

edit: 1967 for Yaz.