Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 official Boston Red Sox thread

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just want the Sox to shake those Yankees, they just cannot create distance. It’s going to be fun if both teams keep it up

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

price hits 3 batters out of 4 , this guy is some piece of work

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:
    price hits 3 batters out of 4 , this guy is some piece of work

They're starting to literally hit him back,on saturday night that was the 2nd time this season i can remember him getting nailed from a ball hit right at him.

• Options

Vasquez needs surgery and will be out 6 to 8 weeks,looks like Swihart is gonna get more playing time unless they trade him and bring up another catcher.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    Porcello let up three runs in seven innings. That's supposed to be a good start for a pitcher, so kudos. I prefer two runs in seven innings as the yardstick, but I'm not in charge of stats. Offense came through again, just took a few more innings to get going.

How long can NYY, HOU, and BOS keep up this torrid pace? It's unreal.

Hopefully long enough to beat the Yankees come late September. I think the schedule favors the Red Sox, but haven't really studied it. I do know that the last 3 games are Yanks/Sox in Fenway...try to buy that ticket!!

• Options
    edited July 9, 2018 3:12PM

Christian Vazquez to undergo surgery to repair broken pinkie
    5:19 PM ET
    ESPN

Facebook
    Twitter
    Facebook Messenger
    Pinterest
    Email
    print
    Boston Red Sox catcher Christian Vazquez is expected to miss six to eight weeks after undergoing surgery Tuesday to repair a broken pinkie finger, the club announced.
    Vazquez, the team's everyday catcher, broke the finger in Saturday night's game against the Kansas City Royals sliding into second base.

This unfortunate situation may enable Swihart to showcase his skills behind the plate. I have no clue who they may call up, I thought Swihart was gone for sure. With Vasquez gone for 2 months, the surely changes the equation.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would love to see the Sox talk to Miami about a catcher B)

• Options

@1970s said:
    I have a question for you Sox fans who know your team better than I do. This is a question based on what I've seen from the Sox the past couple of years. BTW, the team looks incredible this year. JD and Mookie are having MVP type years, and the pitching has been quality as well. My question is this. I think the Sox can go all the way this year if 2 things happen. #1 - Chris Sale is rested by years end, and #2 - If Steven Wright has his knuckleball dancing come October. I don't trust any other starter to give the Yankees or Astros trouble (perhaps Porcello).
    So my question is - How do you guys feel about your starting pitching against the Astros and Yankees. Do you feel it's good enough if Steven Wright does not come back to form ? It appears that Sale is being handled differently this year, and he should be fresh come playoff time. I think your lineup can score against Houston and New York, but they have some pitching studs too.

I'm not buying in until i actually see them (Sale/Price/Porcello) get it done in the playoffs here in Boston.

• Options

I go with erikthredd...too much baseball left to play, especially the last 3 games of the season, which is Yankees/Red Sox in Fenway. Way to early to speculate, clearly the teams mentioned are pretty much neck and neck...don't discount the Indians.

Anything can and will happen come playoff time. Recall 2004, with the Yankees up 3-0 in the Division playoffs...Red Sox win the next 8 in a row...a miraculous comeback.

• Options

Eight in a row, amazing. Oh yeah...thanks Schoop and the Orioles for beating the Yankees in the bottom of the 9th.

Sox up 3.5 games.

• Options

Swihart up to .200 and JBJ at .205! Imagine if they get hitting out of the eight and nine spots

• Options
    edited July 10, 2018 8:12PM

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Eight in a row, amazing. Oh yeah...thanks Schoop and the Orioles for beating the Yankees in the bottom of the 9th.

Sox up 3.5 games.

Well not that amazing when you remember that the rest of the AL is basically terrible , are there 4 good teams in the AL in total or only 3?

they can be up but they go nowhere in the playoffs against the Yankees, which pitcher will win games for them in the playoffs?

• Options

Just read a pretty crazy stat,going into last night's game JD Martinez has hit 60 homers & driven in 153 runs over his last 162 games and yet no team wanted him this past offseason.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

Sox up 3.5 games.

Well not that amazing when you remember that the rest of the AL is basically terrible , are there 4 good teams in the AL in total or only 3?

they can be up but they go nowhere in the playoffs against the Yankees, which pitcher will win games for them in the playoffs?

Well, we'll agree to disagree on the amazing 8 in a row thing...pretty tough to do that IMO. As for the Red Sox going nowhere in the playoffs against the Yankees...I think you're waaaaay off base. The Red Sox pitching is pretty good, and their lineup is no slouch either. Can't predict how the games will go, BUT, the WORST team in baseball, the Orioles, are giving the Yankees all they can handle, and have just beaten them 2 out of 3. Doesn't say much for the Yankees pitching. Oh yeah, I think Sonny Gray is pitching tonight, could be a 3/4 series win for the going nowhere Orioles.

• Options

@MCMLVTopps said:

@bronco2078 said:

@MCMLVTopps said:

Sox up 3.5 games.

Well, we'll agree to disagree on the amazing 8 in a row thing...pretty tough to do that IMO. As for the Red Sox going nowhere in the playoffs against the Yankees...I think you're waaaaay off base. The Red Sox pitching is pretty good, and their lineup is no slouch either. Can't predict how the games will go, BUT, the WORST team in baseball, the Orioles, are giving the Yankees all they can handle, and have just beaten them 2 out of 3. Doesn't say much for the Yankees pitching. Oh yeah, I think Sonny Gray is pitching tonight, could be a 3/4 series win for the going nowhere Orioles.

where does price fit in the rotation come playoff time? Is he going to be a reliever again? Also Sale sucked in the playoffs too , so they are going to rest him but thats kinda lame. All the talk of Koufax in that other thread pitching complete games and being a beast in the post season and we have one guy who is a delicate flower that falls apart over the regular season and is on empty in October and another guy who is mentally too fragile to ever win a meaningful game and between them they earn 50 million bucks :s

• Options

Nine in a row...pretty impressive. Now comes Toronto into Fenway while the Yankees stay on the road to enjoy the company of Cleveland.

Pedroia off to Arizona for rehab...why not just go to Ft Myers to the Red Sox facility. I wonder what does Arizona have that the Ft Myers complex doesn't?

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭

I just came back to see how this thread was doing.
    Pedroia is going to Arizona to get him away from the Sox this year so he can rest his knee to see if its possible he can play next year but I suspect he is done for this year.
    Swihart is now going to finally get his chance to show what he can do. He had 2 hits the other night which is a vast improvement from Vazquez . He should have been given this chance long ago.
    Go Sox !

• Options

I tuned in just in time to see Price heaving more gopher balls. Joy.

I totally believe him when he says he hasn't even thought about his opt-out clause. :p

• Options

what an AB by Betts! He had no business hitting that pitch clean out of the park, but that's what he did, amazing.

• Options

Awesome game...TEN IN A ROW

John Henry should give Betts a serious bonus.

• Options

This was just an epic at-bat by Mookie,he almost fell on his ass celebrating on the way to first lol.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g59FR48AJNM

• Options

Go Sox!!

• Options

Mookie already has two hits today extending his hitting streak to 12 games so I looked up how he's done during that stretch:
    23-46 for a .479 batting average,15 runs scored,4 doubles,2 triples,3 homers & 10 RBI
    Hopefully the All Star break doesn't slow him down.

• Options
  • Options

Some kinda crazy nice Red Sox baseball !!!

• Options

other than Joe Kelly, strong bullpen performance today that allowed them to be in the game in the 9th and 10th!

• Options

Good job X!

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Sox be a Roxin.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
  • Options

Most teams are probably looking forward to getting three or four days of extra recovery time for the players. The Sox sure are

• Options

4.5 games up, not enough!

• Options

the only good "games up" margin is one game up after seven in the WS. Four up after four in a WS is nice too.

• Options

Better 4.5 up at the break than 4.5 down. I think it allows a bit of a cushion should the Sox begin a slump. Hopefully a slump is on the Yankee side, not ours. A glance at the schedule indicates the Yankees have the tougher road to hoe than the Red Sox...but, Houston and Cleveland will be in the mix.

Could be the last 4 games in Fenway against the Yankees tell the tale...better in Fenway than the Bronx, for sure.

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

"A glance at the schedule indicates the Yankees have the tougher road to hoe than the Red Sox. Could be the last 4 games in Fenway against the Yankees tell the tale"

Baseball Prospectus has the rest of the Sox opponents at a .505 winning percentage and the Yankees opponents at a .471 %. I think the final series is only 3 games. Anyway..... awesome first half by the Sox!

Daniel
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2018 3:38PM

Thought I'd catch them before they fell off the page. With a current record like the Red Sox have, they at least deserve to be in the "discussion zone".

Let's see what Price has Friday night, the beginning of 4 with Detroit.

• Options

well pitched game tonight on both sides, though I am watching Kimbrel now in the 9th

Price looked like the pitcher the Sox paid for

• Options

Got a little close there at the end but its still a good win to start the second half.

• Options

A lucky win, no key hits with RISPs.

5.5 up...thanks Mets!! B)

• Options

Nice W, it’s nice to gain a game on the Yanks.

• Options

i have not seen any games I've been on vacation but yesterday I did go investigate buying some tickets for a future game. I Was seeing some relatives off at the airport and had some time to kill because my train was not leaving until 810 from south station. This was around 6 when I left the airport. I jumped on the green line thinking I'd head over to gate E on landsdowne street and inquire about a game in August. The street was mobbed and there were so many people scalping tickets I thought there was a home game and the line at gate E was huge no way I was going to stand in that unless I was buying right there and then. I was very surprised how busy it was for a night when it was an away game. There is a real buzz on the ground for the team at the moment I don't know if I'm going to be walking up and buying tickets at any point I hate standing in lines for hours.

I didn't buy any tickets and since I was by myself and don't drink I saw no reason to hang out at a bar or anything although it was a great night for that. I still had an hour to kill so I concocted a plan to just walk all the way to south station :D . I always did that sort of thing as a kid but I think I got it out of my system for good it was interesting and it used up the time but for 2.75 ill jump on the T next time.

For those of you that are local , there is a commuter rail promotion going on through the end of the summer. Normally my ticket would have been 1150 but the conductor only charged me 10 and told me the return trip was free B) . On the way out that conductor didnt take the ticket , he said it was good all weekend. So it seems as though you can ride in and out for 10 bucks both saturday and sunday , I guess I could go back in again today on the same ticket.

May not be that useful for a sox game as the out trips are about 2 hours apart at the end of the day but nice for day trips or maybe an over night

• Options

I missed last night's game but that was an incredible catch by Mookie stealing a home run. For a 5-9 guy he's got some hops.

• Options

Febles continues to un-impress :(

• Options

Nice W

• Options
    edited July 23, 2018 7:55PM

Febles cost them another run right there in the 9th. Someone has to keep the millionaires in line, it's his job when they are on 2nd and 3rd. He should know better when Devers is on base, since that guy never pays attention either.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭✭

Devers is getting to be a problem. He may have the hardware for the job but not the software as he makes too many mental mistakes.

• Options

Its good to see Jackie Bradley Jr coming thru at the plate lately,heading into last night he's batted .319 since June 23 with 3hrs & 19rbi while raising his batting average from .189 to .210 heading into tonight's game.

• Options

Swihart actually hit a home run,they better trade him tonight at his peak value :p

• Options
    edited July 24, 2018 6:31PM

@erikthredd said:
    Its good to see Jackie Bradley Jr coming thru at the plate lately,heading into last night he's batted .319 since June 23 with 3hrs & 19rbi while raising his batting average from .189 to .210 heading into tonight's game.

No trade this good for one month out of a year bum for a pack of smokes