Home Sports Talk
Options

2018 official Boston Red Sox thread

Comments

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Not to go off topic...I'm leaning more and more heavily towards donating my Lee and Tiant Master sets to the Red Sox, to hopefully generate some $$ for the Jimmy Fund. Both sets are up on eBay for sale at a modest price, with option to make an offer. It appears I'm not reaching the audience needed to move the sets, even though there have been about 100 views combined.

So, my modest FMV appraisal of the combined sets is between $5k - $5.5k. I'm sure I'll have to have lots of proof for the IRS, but, my data is pretty solid. I'll give the sets another go on eBay and then my letter goes off to the Red Sox to see if they have any interest...I'd be surprised if they didn't, they'd be free, and I'm popping for the shipping.

We'll see, I'll let you know how it goes. Here are two links to my sets. Move pointer over cards for enhanced viewing.

https://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/mysetregistry/album/159486
    https://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/mysetregistry/album/60813

I see where ebay is offering a max fee of $10 right now. You might want to check that out.

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

something is wrong with Sale. Fastball is down a few MPH, location off, not good. If he is not feeling well, he should have told Cora.

• Options

He has basically been that way all year. They really miss Betts in the lineup.

• Options

he's what, 29 or 30? Isn't that supposed to be the time when performance peaks and then begins to fall for most players? David Price, for example. So this is a good thing for Boston, seeing him like this. That way they won't throw a DP contract at him and be sunk with that too.

• Options

Yea, the Red Sox sure don't need another Price, fat boy, Manny Ramirez or the latest Ramirez soaking up the payroll for years to come.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always remind myself of the 2013 Season, they did not have these stupid bloated salaries on that team and they got it done.

• Options

It looks to me that Petey career is fast coming to a close. He obviously need more time to recuperate from that knee operation before going to Pawtucket. Like usual for him he was in a rush to get back to the team and now will be forced into another operation that will end his career early. One more player for the Sox to pay for a few years.

• Options

@pitboss said:
    It looks to me that Petey career is fast coming to a close. He obviously need more time to recuperate from that knee operation before going to Pawtucket. Like usual for him he was in a rush to get back to the team and now will be forced into another operation that will end his career early. One more player for the Sox to pay for a few years.

Sox got a team friendly long term deal with him IIRC. I was thinking about Pedroia's legacy the day before he was put on the DL. I figured if he came back and was able to play four to six more years, he had a shot at the HOF. If this knee thing ends him here, that's a zero percent chance for HOF.

• Options

Great game tonight! The umpire tonight was the best I have seen all year. He knew the strike zone which is more than I can say for most of them.

• Options

I was surprised with the quality of calls at home too. Need that guy around more often. Huge win. Reinforces the team’s knowledge that it can beat anyone. Splitting with Houston on the road is a result that they will remember come October

• Options

It is the same old story of beat up on the weaker teams and break even with the good ones,

• Options

good news: pomegranate to the DL. Workman up to take his slot.

• Options

Wright did a great job!

• Options

Who's Pomerantz? `Oh, he is the one that is looking for a new contract after this year. Yeah right , no yeah WRIGHT !

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    When he plays you will love Martinez. No one in the majors had a better year then he did on a per bat basis. If you look at his last three years it would be hard to find 5 hitters that were better

m

I knew you guys would love him. He’s literally been the best hitter in baseball the past 3+ years

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Sox had no one to fill that David Ortiz role in the middle of the lineup last season and they finished 27th in MLB in Home Runs. This year they're 2nd in Homers and you can make the argument that Martinez has been the best FA signing of this past offseason. Mookie Betts has already praised Martinez for helping him be better prepared to hit each night,you can just imagine how much his approach has helped some of the Sox other hitters.

• Options

Betts takes batting practice today and heads for one game in Pawtucket before heading back to the sox on Saturday. Lets hope everything goes well over the next 3 days as we need him badly to keep ahead of the dreaded bums from NY.

• Options

Hopefully Benintendi keeps hitting like he has been once Betts goes back to leadoff and Benny drops to the two spot. He's been hitting .365 w/4hrs 11rbi in the 12 games he batted leadoff. It would also be nice to see their top guys in the order all healthy at the same time for awhile.

• Options

That game was on Cora. There was no need of pitching that rookie and putting that lineup in there. I hope he learned something!

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

That game was on Cora. There was no need of pitching that rookie and putting that lineup in there. I hope he learned something!

Why would you write that? First of all, every game is on Cora, he's the manager, he eats the good and bad.
    Why not pitch the rookie? EVERY pitcher has a "first MLB" start, how else will he progress? It just didn't go well.
    And, what exactly do you think Cora should have "learned" from his decision...after all, your beloved Swihart was catching? The lineup was pretty much what it has been, with the exception of the rookie pitcher and Swihart.

And, you wrote above that Pedroia __ Like usual for him he was in a rush to get back to the team and now will be forced into another operation that will end his career early. One more player for the Sox to pay for a few years.

What information did you have that made you claim Pedroia will be forced into another operation that will end his career early? When, in fact, Pedroia's recent setback is NOT related to his surgery...a simple Google search would find that out, as I did. Additionally, I suspect there are some Red Sox doctors that have a big say on who is well enough to play and who is not...these are NOT player decisions, never were, never will be.

• Options

Johnson was available to pitch that game instead of bringing up the rookie.
    The sox can not afford to lose games like that trying out a rookie that is not really that outstanding,
    I want Pedroia to do well as he is very important to the sox but want him to be completely healed before coming up.
    Swihart looked good last night and needs the playing time.
    I also liked what I saw in Betts and Benintendi a couple of years ago not just Swihart,
    I don't have a clue on how to use google and probably never will as computers are just to confusing to me.
    I just love the Sox and hate the Yankees.

• Options

But, Steve...you seem to hammer management when it's really not deserved...is my point. Surely you don't think Cora brought in the Rookie to lose a game. What if the guy had thrown a no-hitter, would you have felt the same way? And, as for the lineup...they all need experience, how else do they get it if they don't play?

Beeks deserved a start, he just didn't pitch well. What are they supposed to do with him, banish him to the Minor Leagues forever? He has great Minor League stats and time will tell how well, or not that he'll pitch in the majors. He had his entire family there, surely you don't think he wanted to pitch poorly.

As for Pedroia, you stated he would be facing another surgery, when in fact that is NOT true...pls don't make statements that are unfounded and without merit. AND, if it happens that Pedroia is done (which I doubt), I can't think of anyone more deserving of the Red Sox paying for years to come...unlike the Fatty, HanRam and Rusney Castillo...all TOTAL BUSTSand not even deserving of a ride on the infamous Timlin bus...they can take the T.

Swihart went 1 -3 with a double...fair performance, not good or anything else. He will eventually be traded, it's the only way he's gonna get to develop. Leon and Vasquez are locked in...it is what it is.

Google or Duck Duck Go (the better of the two) are very simple search engines. All you have to do is log on to the internet and type in "www.DuckDuckGO.com", OR "www.Google.com". Once that page comes up you will see a dialog box, you can then type in anything you want, and it will respond with links to the things you're looking for. In my case, I just type in "American League East standings"....I then can see all I need to see. OR, you can type in "Red Sox Rumors 2018" and you will reading for a while with all the information there. Have a friend or neighbor show you, it's pretty easy.

• Options

Here's a good site for daily Red Sox articles or rumors if you want to check it Pitboss.
    https://www.prosportsdaily.com/mlb/red-sox/rumors.html

• Options

Great pitching by Sale, only to be let down by the listless bats of the Red Sox, who had opportunity to score and failed. Swihart and Bradley stink the place up with 0-3, and both had RISP. Bradley gets the 0-2 honors for RISP.

Swihart is not helping his situation with such a dismal showing, nor is Bradley...maybe both are gone.
    The team goes 0-6 in the RISP stat, with Bogaerts, Devers and Moreland rounding out the hapless effort.

1-0 losses at home quickly add up in October...it was their game to lose, given the gem Sales was pitching, unfortunately they did.

• Options

No argument from me on that. They can not wait for Sweihart to find his way. Bradley has a history of not performing. They are paying Castillo so they may as well bring him up as they have nothing to lose at this point.

• Options

Yes Bradley did hit a home run yesterday but even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

• Options

Give Bradley credit for the home run...why you choose to discredit his accomplishment is a mystery to me. No easy fete to hit a ball where he did. He is struggling, but at least he contributed with a blast and RBI, unlike your hero, Swihart,who went 0-3 and sinking faster than a bowling ball over the Marianna Trench.

Swihart is not doing himself any good with his poor hitting performance. It appears to me that Cora is indeed giving him opportunities to see if he's a good fit anywhere...Swihart needs to step out, or he will be g-o-n-e. If you can't at least hit a single now and then with RISP, you are of no use to the team. He looks inept.

• Options

I agree with that as he has not shown what I have seen in the past. He needs to go somewhere else to see if he can reclaim what he has shown in the past. Bradley has had opportunity after opportunity and always comes up with a hit once in a while to get everyones hopes up but it is time for him to move on also. Castillo is waiting in the wings and we are already paying him massive amounts of money so we should give him a chance to see what he can do.

• Options

12 LOBs, and a wannabe catcher who seems to love swinging at the first pitch...he, who's star is fading quickly. Another inept performance...tick, tick, tick...gone by July I think. If you ain't gonna contribute, you gotta go.

White Sox had surprisingly better pitching and capitalized on opportunities, unlike the Red Sox. The better team won today.

The only good news is the upcoming series with the Os, who are pathetically having to endure a horrific season. I'll bet Machado can't wait to get out of Baltimore...now 25 games back.

• Options

And they need more than Betts coming back to improve. The problem is they have nobody left to trade that will bring them what they need. Bradley, Swihart, Pomerance, and any they have in the minors will not get them anything. It has to come from their organization somewhere or it will be wait till next year again.

• Options

Good win tonight. I had 2 tv's running watching the ball game and Hannity in Singapore. Will be staying up to watch Trump's news conference at 2 AM my time.

• Options

Its good to see the bottom of the order guys coming thru when they needed hits the last couple games,Devers & Vasquez last night and Bradley & Holt the night before.

• Options

These guys need to get going like that because Betts, Benentendi and Martinez can't do it every game and the pitchers can't hold them to 1 or 2 runs every game also.

• Options

Devers is the only bottom of the order guy that i would hold out hope that he could start producing more. Bradley is what he is at this point and the catchers/platoon guys might be in one game out the next.
    I think their best case scenario is what we've seen these past 2 games where they got some timely hitting with runners in scoring position.

• Options

Its good to see the Sox finally score some runs in a Chris Sale start. Mookie back in the lineup then going deep was a plus too.

• Options

Heck of a performance by Price tonight. Against what appears to be a good team. Love it if this is the start of a trend

• Options
    edited June 15, 2018 6:26AM

He hasn't lost a game since may 3rd. Six wins and a no decision (Sox win) in 7 starts. If he keeps pitching like this hopefully he decides to opt out of his contract this offseason and go play elsewhere.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    He hasn't lost a game since may 3rd. Six wins and a no decision (Sox win) in 7 starts. If he keeps pitching like this hopefully he decides to opt out of his contract this offseason and go play elsewhere.

That would be wonderful!

• Options

and I still can't stomach watching Kimbrel pitch :s

• Options

I went in and brushed my teeth to get ready for bed while he was pitching last night.

• Options

Last time I looked, Kimbrell got the save last night. I kinda like the guy...not like he's trying to lose.

Why the big hate on Kimbrell?

• Options

I surely don't hate him by any means but watching him pitch around guys can be nerve wracking.
    There is no question he is one of the best closers in baseball.
    By eleven o'clock at night I just want the game to be over and the sox to be winners !

• Options

C'mon Steve...the guy is ranked NUMBER TWO this year with 22 saves. What more do you want???

Maybe if his team mates provided more runs, he wouldn't be facing difficult situations. Nerve wracking...not.

• Options

Maybe not nerve wracking for you but it sure is for me. He is a great pitcher for sure. They would not need him in so many pressure situations if his team mates were not productive for sure. They leave way too many men on the bases.

• Options

You sure seem to like to complain about Red Sox players, who, in fact don't deserve it.

EXAMPLES:

You posted about Bradley Jr and if anyone else had heard he had a clause in his contract that allowed him to basically take a break and go somewhere to get his swing back. However, you never mentioned your sources, which is lame.

You complained about Pedroia and his recent knee issues, and that he would need another operation, that his career is over and that the Red Sox would be paying another player long term for basically nothing. FACT, the knee issue is NOT, NOT, related to his past surgery, nor does he need another. And, if anyone deserves to be paid long term, even if he never played another game, its Pedroia.

You hammer Cora over a pitching choice...that game is on Cora...says who? You? Do you really think Cora is trying to sabotage the team? I suspect he's doing his best in his first year to make the team successful...they can't win them all.

Now you want to bash the closer, Kimbrell, who is rated #2 in the entire MLB pitchers roster. What's wrong with you? So, go brush your teeth and turn off the tube. Again, you seem to think he's trying to lose games, or put opponents on base. It just isn't so, things happen, get over it. You bash him, but above call him a "great pitcher" and that "they leave too many men on base"...that ain't the pitchers fault!!!

You go on and on about Castillo and that they should bring him up...you must believe they are keeping him under wraps intentionally. How is it you are so hung up on this guy...don't you think the Red Sox management are more than well aware of who they have in the wings?

You bash Febles, the 3rd base coach. What did he do? And what caused you to have such a negative opinion of him? He just got there...did his coaching at 3rd base cause the team to lose a playoff game, or world series game? Of course not!

You hammer Devers because of his "every game" bad throws to 1st base, and "where are the coaches to show him his errors"?...really? He's certainly made some errors, and what on earth makes you ask where the coaches are??? Do you not think they're talking to him? Your logic with him and others is flawed. I've seen him throw some pretty amazing throws to first base, so, my conclusion is that your statement is false.

Oh, while I'm at it, I'm way under impressed with your beloved Swihart. He's been given some opportunities lately and he's done little more than strike out in key situations. He should be gone, for his sake and the Red Sox.

Looks to me instead of deriving pleasure from watching the games, you get your BP up so much you gotta leave and brush your teeth. Maybe you should just watch a movie, before the team, individual players, or management give you a stroke.

HINT...the Red Sox will lose games, errors will be made, close games will be lost...its just baseball, no more, no less. The Red Sox, from top to bottom don't affect my life, not one microscopic scintilla. You OTOH take each game waaaaaaaaaay too seriously.

• Options

I hope Wright has a good day today.

• Options

It appears the Red Sox will lose 2 in a row to a lesser team...the Twins. There is little spark to the offense, no key hits with RISP and (IMO), an overall funk has taken over the team. They're not scoring many runs and clearly are leaving way too many LOBs.

OTOH, the Yankees keep rolling along. Having been down 5-2, they come back to tie the game, then a walk off 2 run homer. All cylinders clicking in the Bronx...unfortunately.

The Red Sox now go to 2 back...better wake up before the Yankees really crush things and continue to put distance between them and the Red Sox.

• Options

Nice win today, almost like a different team. Almost everyone got in on the win.

Swihart, who was given a late inning opportunity with a man on second, struck out. Maybe he and JBJ could spend some time in the batting cage, if they aren't already.

Yankees win also, so it stays at 2 back, and now come the Mariners...time to play like a championship team.

• Options

Always a pleasure to watch a win and not have to endure Kimbrel

• Options

Not sure why you and Pitboss got the bad vibes on Kimbrell. I mean the guy (last time I checked), is rated the #2 closer in MLB...other than the weird stare in for the sign, I kinda like the guy.