Options

2018 official Boston Red Sox thread

Comments

• Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,459 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love watching the Sox when I don't have to watch Kimbrel

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

Its pretty crazy seeing Betts & Martinez tied for the most homers in baseball. I bet most people would have picked Judge & Stanton to hit more than those two.

• Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭

Has anybody else heard the rumor that Bradley has an option available that could be used to send him to the minors to get his swing back in order?

• Options

I was just looking at how Mookie Betts season to date has stacked up to the rest of MLB this year and its pretty incredible how good he's been especially when all but four at-bats were from the leadoff position.
    1st in MLB in runs
    t-2nd in MLB in hits
    1st in MLB in doubles
    1st in MLB in HRs
    t-8th in MLB in RBIs
    1st in MLB in AVG
    1st in MLB in OBP%
    1st in MLB in SLG%
    1st in MLB in OPS%
    2nd in MLB in WAR

• Options

Ramirez playing like he’s tired already. When will Cora wake up and put Moreland in for a few games?

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was kinda wondering that myself. I think Moreland is a far better 1st baseman than Ramirez and should be used more effectively in the lineup.

• Options

Unless the Red Sox want him back for another year they better let him ride the pine for a lot more this season . That is all they have to do so they won't have to pay his huge contract for next year when he will be completely useless.

• Options

I will be happy to see Pedroia back. Nunez worked out well...last year. He seems less impressive this year, not much of an impact type player. If Pedroia is well, instant impact.

• Options

Hanley Ramirez just got designated for assignment.

• Options

Thats the best news I have heard in a long time.

• Options

Sounds like they wanted to move on from him before his incentives trigger his 22m player option for next season.

• Options

No one will pick him up as he is not hitting and is too expensive. Sounds like he is headed for Pawtucket. I guess they are not willing to let Swihart go at this point.

• Options

Red Sox Designate Hanley Ramirez For Assignment
    By Steve Adams | May 25, 2018 at 10:34am CDT Looking ahead, the stunning decision to move on from Ramirez should lock J.D. Martinez in as Boston’s primary designated hitter and give Mitch Moreland and his superior glove regular reps at first base. The move also prolongs Blake Swihart’s purgatorial stay in Boston, though perhaps by jettisoning Ramirez from the roster, the Sox will open up a few more opportunities to work the scarcely used former top prospect into the lineup.

Apparently with $22m ahead if HanRam makes 497 plate appearances, they make the move now to avoid arbitration. Looks like a good move to me, especially since it brings Moreland into the mix.

HanRam just never lived up to his potential...much like Fatty at 3rd base, to whom the Red Sox still owe a zillion $$. It'll be nice to see Pedroia back, Nunez may quickly become odd man out. Swihart may find a place yet, but could still be trade bait for another player...who knows.

• Options

A question for Red Sox followers...

I own the #1 Luis Tiant Master Set and the #1 Bill Lee Master Set. The sets are up for sale on eBay, but appear to be slow to move, although both sets contain some very difficult to find cards. So...I'm considering contacting the Red Sox and offering them to the Jimmy Fund cause...thinking that they will draw much, much more attention from the Red Sox audience and hopefully a decent donation to the Jimmy Fund...ZERO funds to me and I incur shipping costs.

I'm just at a point in my life to start letting things go and have someone else enjoy the cards.

Thoughts?

Tks,
    Al

• Options

That would be much appreciated by the Jimmy Fund and the Red Sox Al.

• Options

Cora did what is best for the team this season and next. I might actually like this manager, eventually. I don't think Ramirez is headed for Pawtucket.

• Options

immediate dividends, Cora, well done! Moreland goes deep.

• Options

So, a few weeks ago, I popped for the baseball extra innings package...you know, every game, everywhere.

Anyway...last night I'm looking forward to the game and hearing the commentary about the HanRam thing. I go to channel 729, which was the Red Sox feed...BLOCKED! What? I had to go to channel 728, which was the Braves feed and the dismal Chip Caray broadcast. It got so bad I had to mute most of the game...actually, I went to catch an episode of a series we're watching on AmazonPrime. I "watched" the game on my phone.

I'm at least 1,000 miles from Boston, why would they block that channel, when in fact I've paid for the package? It sure didn't make me a Braves fan. Comparing Chip Caray to Remy's team is like comparing a used Volkswagon bug to a Telsa.

Fortunately, today's game is on MLBHD, so at least I know I'll have a choice and not have to endure the ho-hummy stuff when the Red Sox do well. Chip Caray BTW, is the son of Skip Caray who used to do the Braves games and then went on to the Cubs, if memory serves.

Glad to see Moreland hit the dinger.

• Options

You might have to spring for NESN in addition to the baseball package. I did that couple of years ago to make sure I did not run into that problem.
    I hope that Cora pulls the plug quickly today if Pomeranz fails early today like he has been doing. Wright should be ready just in case.

• Options

starting Pomegranate is just like spotting the other team a few runs before taking the field. Fun experiment, let's move on. If Cora has the stones to pull him from the rotation, he will be the first in memory who manages to win instead of managing to "keep the guys happy"

• Options

6.75 ERA is not starting rotation quality on an apparently playoff bound team

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think getting rid of Hanley was a great move, the guy is just a lazy arrogant bum in my opinion.

• Options

too bad it is kind of a sh$# show today halfway through. Sox looking listless.

• Options

I was blocked from the Red Sox feed for every Braves game...thankfully they're gone. The Braves announcers are like listening to chalk on a chalk board...boring and painful. I kept the mute on and read a book, glancing up now and then. I still don't get why they blocked the Red Sox feed...made no sense, especially since I'm paying for the broadcast that is supposed to allow me a choice in channels.

I had to hit the mute Saturday, when the dynamic duo was talking about the ABC islands and one doofus didn't know what the "B" island was. Bonaire, you dummy.

Bring on the Blue Jays...and the Yankees get Houston. B)

• Options

They block me here in Albuquerque too when the Sox play in Denver. It's a joke because Denver is hundreds of miles north of Albuquerque.

• Options

I watch via MLB.TV and the only games that get blocked are games against Seattle. That's about 1,400 miles by air.

• Options

How about the $31 million man? 95 pitches to get through five innings today. What a bargain! ;)

• Options

I agree that he is not the best but he deserves a break on this one as he took a pretty hard shot to the chest on the line drive in the first inning. I'm surprised he even came out for the 2nd inning. His previous 2 starts have been good after he gave up video games.

• Options

Barndog…

I too have MLB tv, but, the point here is that I purchased the Directv Extra Innings package. If I PAID for a package, I should be able to make my own choices within the package. Listening to BO and ZO, the two Braves announcers from Fenway was too much for me. I have no clue why they would block me from the Red Sox feed. Today was refreshing to see and hear the NESN feed.

You don't get to see every Red Sox game, but Pitboss and I do...you luck out occasionally with an MLBtv broadcast of the Sox. Before I had the Directv package, there were times when they blocked the Red Sox broadcast. I have no clue why they do what they do, but when you pay for something, you should be able to access the choices within that program.

Not in a zillion years could I get converted to a Braves fan...and I live about 80 miles from Atlanta, and a little over 1,000 miles from Boston.

Great game today...the Bradley catch was awesome. My dad and I used to get seats (don't know how) just to the right of the 420' sign in that pizza slice of seats...I still recall leaning over that railing and hollering at Mickey Mantle as he hustled for a ball in the pea gravel there.

• Options

@pitboss said:
    I agree that he is not the best but he deserves a break on this one as he took a pretty hard shot to the chest on the line drive in the first inning. I'm surprised he even came out for the 2nd inning. His previous 2 starts have been good after he gave up video games.

I figure for $31 million, you rub some dirt on it, walk it off, suck it up and continue on! :)

• Options

Oh, and I do get to see every game in the major leagues with MLB.tv subscription. Thousands of them. Just the half a dozen games (or whatever it is) against the Mariners, I don't get to see. Weird.

I haven't missed many Sox games this year. Haven't been able to watch all 9 innings of each game, but life intervenes some times.

• Options

I like the idea of starting off every new series with Wright pitching the first game as I feel it throws the other teams players off for the rest of the series.

• Options

his knuckler has really been moving, but inside the strike zone. Why he's in the pen and pomegranate is starting is beyond me.

• Options

Pom is on his last legs in my way of thinking (hopefully). I don't understand why he has not departed already either.

• Options

Another two for two for Kimbrel, isn’t he wonderful!

That’s two inherited runners scored, can’t stand watching that guy pitch

• Options

I am impressed with Bradleys hitting and Devers throwing as of late.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

39-17 is pretty good baseball overall

• Options

Pomeranz is starting today! His last chance I hope.

• Options

Glad to see HanRam gone...opens things up for Swihart and Moreland.

I still think Dumbrowski has something going in the background...question is, who goes next?

So far, so good...the Houston series is big.

• Options

Houston got mauled in Yankee stadium- Hopefully the same thing happens to them for the first 4 games at home.
    I think the next things happening will be in the bullpen as there are a couple of weak links in there.

• Options

Rumor on local Boston sports talk radio has Swihart possibly catching a Steven Wright game someday next week. I guess he's been catching Wright on the side in recent weeks.

• Options

I know that Swihart has been working with Wright so that could be the case.

• Options

How long will Cora's patience run today before he pulls Pomeranz and inserts Wright?

• Options

Missed the first inning, thankfully. He wasn't much better in second inning, but did shut them down for the entire inning! Hand him a participation trophy and get him a room with Hanley.

• Options

I guess we will see if Cora can read a box score and make the right conclusion. How many times has Wright relieved pomegranate now? So pomegranate has an ERA of 6.81, yeah not a typo. Wright's stands at 2.25. One of those guys keeps you in a game, the other one just wastes your time.

• Options

The only difference between him and Ramirez is how much money he will walk away with. I don't see how Cora can put them out there for another dismal appearance.

• Options

Not to go off topic...I'm leaning more and more heavily towards donating my Lee and Tiant Master sets to the Red Sox, to hopefully generate some $$ for the Jimmy Fund. Both sets are up on eBay for sale at a modest price, with option to make an offer. It appears I'm not reaching the audience needed to move the sets, even though there have been about 100 views combined.

So, my modest FMV appraisal of the combined sets is between $5k - $5.5k. I'm sure I'll have to have lots of proof for the IRS, but, my data is pretty solid. I'll give the sets another go on eBay and then my letter goes off to the Red Sox to see if they have any interest...I'd be surprised if they didn't, they'd be free, and I'm popping for the shipping.

We'll see, I'll let you know how it goes. Here are two links to my sets. Move pointer over cards for enhanced viewing.

https://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/mysetregistry/album/159486
    https://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/mysetregistry/album/60813

• Options

@MCMLVTopps Maybe try an auction house to get more views? I think the Sox would have no problem selling it but you gotta think that most of the looks they might get when trying to sell it might not even know what a PSA Master set is and there might be a chance it sells for much less than it could elsewhere? I've never used an auction house and i honestly couldn't recommend which one might be best for you if you go that route.

• Options

I've sold through "other sellers" in the past and the vig was at least 15%, which appears fair, but when you see what little is really involved with selling on eBay (which I now do), it's pretty high, especially when you were selling some high powered sets, which I was. And, Auction Houses charge more than 15%...there just isn't that much meat on the bone with my current prices.

If I donate the sets to the Red Sox, I'm sure they'll know what they have in terms of PSA, Master sets, etc...I'll include enough information.

Tks for the post.
    Al

• Options

pomegranate's family must be writing for mlb.com these days :D

https://mlb.com/redsox/news/drew-pomeranz-red-sox-lose-to-astros/c-279201748

Here is what the headline says: Pomeranz makes strides, but Sox fall to Astros. After three straight rough starts, lefty goes 5 innings, allows 4 runs

So that is progress I guess? Pitches a game in which his ERA for that game would be over 7, amazing progress! I guess the fake news media has infiltrated "beat writers" in baseball :(