Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

225th Anniversary Enhanced Uncirculated Coin Set (17XC) (SOLD OUT! )

Comments

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BigA said:
    That WAS my bet...you can add Xmas to it but that ain't gonna happen....and thus the suggestion of maybe doubling up

You bet ( see what I did there? HAHAHA ) It's not gonna happen, never, never, never.

• Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:

@bestday said:
    Mint will make sets available for Christmas Holidays ....then the final sell out at end of year

Can you please provide the link to the mint website or news release this was taken from?

how about a guess based upon good info ..

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bestday said:

@jessewvu said:

@bestday said:
    Mint will make sets available for Christmas Holidays ....then the final sell out at end of year

Can you please provide the link to the mint website or news release this was taken from?

"good info"? Is there actually a source or just you creating a source to support a hunch?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jessewvu said:

@bestday said:

"good info"? Is there actually a source or just you creating a source to support a hunch?

good info

• Options

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jessewvu said:

@bestday said:

good info

So you're making up a source. Got it.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jessewvu said:

@bestday said:

good info

lol.. no one home . :p:p:p . but if sets go sale again .. may buy a large lot

• Options

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@bestday said:

@jessewvu said:

@bestday said:

good info

lol.. no one home . :p:p:p . but if sets go sale again .. may buy a large lot

They are BAAACK. But hurry, there's only 9 for sale.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2017 4:57AM

No takers? Still 9 available...but still no missing 15k. Don't hold your breath waiting for them to appear.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options

@OPA said:
    No takers? Still 9 available...

LOL. People don't even know. Always takes them hours to send out their "remind me" emails.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Coin club

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

I saw 11 & 4 this morning

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@Kudbegud said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    (Kudbegud is Jewish)

I'm not

Playing along would have worked better

Christmas never comes for the Jewish

• Options

It's really starting to act like a sell out. Diminishing quantities of returns/cancellations available. If they had 15,000 sitting around, they would have made them available. If they have to mint 15,000 new ones...will they bother?

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beats me. The mint released over 400 of the limited edition silver proof sets this past week. Those sold out for real fast.

Who knows what they are doing.

I think the mint makes these to order after the first round is minted. I doubt they Mint 225,000 before they start selling. I’ve been wrong before

• Options
    edited November 3, 2017 7:33AM

@jessewvu said:
    Beats me. The mint released over 400 of the limited edition silver proof sets this past week. Those sold out for real fast.

I think the mint makes these to order after the first round is minted. I doubt they Mint 225,000 before they start selling. I’ve been wrong before

Keep in mind, 225k were ordered the first day and available. Apparently all 225k were minted.

• Options

They sold out the first day? I guess I forgot about that :/

• Options

@jessewvu said:
    They sold out the first day? I guess I forgot about that :/

6 minutes

• Options
    edited November 3, 2017 9:39AM

duplicated

• Options

@Booger9989 said:
    This set is tainted and way to many exist in large numbers for it to have any true value no matter a sell out or not. If this set was going to be a hit the entire mintage would have been purchased buy a select few in order to corner the market. Instead we sit here watching the numbers waiting, debating and some praying for a sold out sign, which may never come. ANY collector who wanted one had ample time to purchase one directly from the mint and still may have that opportunity to due to the fact 15k or so are still unsold. As time goes on more mint offerings will come out and push this set further into the memory or collector's and deeper into the closet storing these set's only to be buried by more mint trinkets as time goes by.

What I would do if I was holding a large number of these is sell them now and get out of them ASAP. Just like most modern mint set's these will drop in value faster then a ton of bricks falling from a rooftop. If you can break even I would do so before you start to take a bath unless you need a tax loss then I would recommend buying more. They have no value like a silver mint set does years down the road.

I understand that these sets have some low mintage coins but we will all be dead before that matters. Look at the 2009 copper Lincoln cents. What are they worth 8 year's later?

I hope the best for all those holding these with hopes of a winner down the road but I just don't see it happening. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

If you mean silver mint sets have the intrinsic value of silver, then "yes:. If you mean they appreciate above the issue price, then generally "no".

• Options

@Booger9989 said:
    This set is tainted and way to many exist in large numbers for it to have any true value no matter a sell out or not. If this set was going to be a hit the entire mintage would have been purchased buy a select few in order to corner the market. Instead we sit here watching the numbers waiting, debating and some praying for a sold out sign, which may never come. ANY collector who wanted one had ample time to purchase one directly from the mint and still may have that opportunity to due to the fact 15k or so are still unsold. As time goes on more mint offerings will come out and push this set further into the memory or collector's and deeper into the closet storing these set's only to be buried by more mint trinkets as time goes by.

What I would do if I was holding a large number of these is sell them now and get out of them ASAP. Just like most modern mint set's these will drop in value faster then a ton of bricks falling from a rooftop. If you can break even I would do so before you start to take a bath unless you need a tax loss then I would recommend buying more. They have no value like a silver mint set does years down the road.

I understand that these sets have some low mintage coins but we will all be dead before that matters. Look at the 2009 copper Lincoln cents. What are they worth 8 year's later?

I hope the best for all those holding these with hopes of a winner down the road but I just don't see it happening. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.

Lincoln and Kennedy alone put a $20 floor under the set price. $25 if you count the other 8 coins. These sets may not go up much - I think $40-$45 in the next few years - but they won't go down much either.

• Options
    Booger9989Booger9989 Posts: 404 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Booger9989 said:

If you mean silver mint sets have the intrinsic value of silver, then "yes:. If you mean they appreciate above the issue price, then generally "no".

Intrinsic yes, other then melt no value at all.

Positive BST Deals as a seller : Wondercoin, Chumlee, Jerster, Perry Hall , DMarks, MWK, drewsef, SoCalBigMark, Lakesammman, Nurmaler
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OPA said:

@jessewvu said:

Keep in mind, 225k were ordered the first day and available. Apparently all 225k were minted.

Depends. I ordered the HOF coins on the first day, but it took months to get them. No way they were all minted at the time they went on sale.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dbldie55 said:

@OPA said:

@jessewvu said:

Depends. I ordered the HOF coins on the first day, but it took months to get them. No way they were all minted at the time they went on sale.

Maybe not. Maybe a continuing production. The mint isn't saying. What's likely were delays in the fancy packaging in which to put the already produced HOF coinage. That has been the excuse given in the past when the mint did comment.

• Options
    HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too much time and effort for a few dollars each on a handful of sets. I prefer bulk wholesale.

You put your right hand in, you take your right hand out, then you head to the bank to deposit all your clout.
    Now that's what I'm talking about. Have a great weekend. :p:p:p

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Options

I lose money on everything I sell but make up for in volume

• Options

@dbldie55 said:

@OPA said:

@jessewvu said:

Issue with the packaging prevented them all to be sold at once. Even the Mint made everyone aware of that and stated, "once the packaging issue was resolved (we are talking about 7,500) they would be made available," which they did several month later.

• Options

I think we can be reasonably certain that all 225,000 (plus a few extras) were minted prior to release. Otherwise, the Mint would have announced as much because people would have automatically been on back order. To my knowledge, no one in the initial go around was on back order.

I'd also point out that it's been 3 MONTHS. During most of that time there were 190,000 sold (or more).

Have they minted replacements? Do they have a stock pile of 15,000 that need rehab? Are they going to mint more in the future? We just don't know. And anyone who pretends to know for certain is lying.

One thing we do know for certain: the farther we get into holiday shopping and the closer we get to the end of the year, the less likely it becomes that they reappear. And they CAN NOT mint them after 12/31.

• Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,923 ✭✭✭✭

@Booger9989 said:

Yep. But the cheerleading will go on until they clearly are in a death spiral. There are to many people holding hundreds of these sets and when the floodgates open on eBay.....well look out below! Being sold out at the Mint means nothing because they will be for sale on eBay till the cows come home!! Just the facts and some people bend the facts over and over again until they believe their "facts" are truths. This has played out over and over again over the years around here.

• Options

@Manorcourtman said:

@Booger9989 said:

Yep. But the cheerleading will go on until they clearly are in a death spiral. There are to many people holding hundreds of these sets and when the floodgates open on eBay.....well look out below! Being sold out at the Mint means nothing because they will be for sale on eBay till the cows come home!! Just the facts and some people bend the facts over and over again until they believe their "facts" are truths. This has played out over and over again over the years around here.

Good grief Man, have you followed the eBay sales? There are 893 completed sales with over 100 currently on going. I think the cows already have come home.

• Options

@OPA said:

@Manorcourtman said:

@Booger9989 said:

Good grief Man, have you followed the eBay sales? There are 893 completed sales with over 100 currently on going. I think the cows already have come home.

So much attention waiting for a sellout .. Did you think the Mint made more than 225,000 sets anticipating returns which would have been disposed ? still leaving with 225,000 mintage

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 618 ✭✭✭

The Mint sold thousands in a few days. 100 on eBay ain’t nothing.

• Options

@goldbuffalo said:
    The Mint sold thousands in a few days. 100 on eBay ain’t nothing.

Actually, they sold 225k in one day.

• Options

@Manorcourtman said:

@Booger9989 said:

I believe that's what YOU are doing. You don't have any "Facts", just speculation. My speculation is as good, maybe better than yours. After all, I'm a dealer. I have to get this right to turn a profit.

• Options

@bestday said:

@OPA said:

@Manorcourtman said:

@Booger9989 said:

So much attention waiting for a sellout .. Did you think the Mint made more than 225,000 sets anticipating returns which would have been disposed ? still leaving with 225,000 mintage

I think the mint always mints an extra few% to cover scrapped sets. I don't think it was enough in the case of this issue, hence the "missing" 14,500 sets.

• Options

It's also worth pointing out - at the risk of being labeled a "cheerleader" - that in the last two weeks, the Mint was selling 1000 sets per day, mostly in ones and twos. There has been returning strong demand for this set since the tumult has died down.

• Options
    dmwestdmwest Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭

I received my order today for the very last set the mint has to sell of the 225th Enhanced Uncirculated set and in it was this note from the mint....."Thank you so so much....it is finally over! In Dean we trust!"

D2

Don't quote me on that.

• Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember the 1997 unc. Jackie Robinson gold was on sale for six months and generally ignored. The 1995-W proof silver eagle was also on sale for several months and was actively disliked and boycotted in many quarters. I bought a few of each from the Mint and was not disappointed.

I'm comfortable with my belief that this set is undervalued at $30.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    SoundPointSoundPoint Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

@Overdate said:
    I remember the 1997 unc. Jackie Robinson gold was on sale for six months and generally ignored. The 1995-W proof silver eagle was also on sale for several months and was actively disliked and boycotted in many quarters. I bought a few of each from the Mint and was not disappointed.

****I agree that this is undervalued at $30 for a ten coin limited edition set. To me, it is a bargain at this price! No telling what the future holds though. I bought a 1995-W proof silver eagle within the first minute of availability. Back then, I believe the mint was using an ordering service. Somehow orders were being "LOST" by this service. My order was lost and the US Mint had no record of my transaction when I called to check on the order several months later. I believe Numismatic News reported on the issue. This is another reason (rarely discussed) why that coin wasn't a sellout. If the truth was really known, that coin set might have been a sellout.****

• Options

I'm returning 4 sets....Don't like all the "bubbles" in the plastic cases. There should be 4 available in about 10 days. ;)

• Options

@OPA said:
    I'm returning 4 sets....Don't like all the "bubbles" in the plastic cases. There should be 4 available in about 10 days. ;)

Are you talking about the thin film effect? Or are you talking about actual bubbles in the plastic?

They all have the thin film effect or can be made to have it. Take any set and squeeze a little on the outer case. As soon as it contacts the inner lining, you get the "bubbles".

• Options

@SoundPoint said:

@Overdate said:

****I agree that this is undervalued at $30 for a ten coin limited edition set. To me, it is a bargain at this price! No telling what the future holds though. I bought a 1995-W proof silver eagle within the first minute of availability. Back then, I believe the mint was using an ordering service. Somehow orders were being "LOST" by this service. My order was lost and the US Mint had no record of my transaction when I called to check on the order several months later. I believe Numismatic News reported on the issue. This is another reason (rarely discussed) why that coin wasn't a sellout. If the truth was really known, that coin set might have been a sellout.****

I don't know about that last part. They'd have to have continued to lose orders for months.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

Are you talking about the thin film effect? Or are you talking about actual bubbles in the plastic?

They all have the thin film effect or can be made to have it. Take any set and squeeze a little on the outer case. As soon as it contacts the inner lining, you get the "bubbles".

It's the "thin film effect." BTW not all sets have that issue. I have numerous sets that do not have that flaw. My sets are not earmarked for grading, but may end up on eBay at one point in the future. eBayer's like their Mint sets to be w/o flaws and I can't say that I blame them.

• Options

@OPA said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

It's the "thin film effect." BTW not all sets have that issue. I have numerous sets that do not have that flaw. My sets are not earmarked for grading, but may end up on eBay at one point in the future. eBayer's like their Mint sets to be w/o flaws and I can't say that I blame them.

Take your sets without that "flaw" and squeeze them. I've yet to squeeze a set that didn't create the effect.

• Options

it's not a flaw

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    it's not a flaw

One man's flaw is another man's feature. :smiley:

• Options

@MsMorrisine said:
    it's not a flaw

Really? Dumb questions...How come none of the US Mint's unc or proof sets, issued over the years, that have a similar design, don't have "bubbles" in their sets?

• Options

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    it's not a flaw

Really? Dumb questions...How come none of the US Mint's unc or proof sets, issued over the years, that have a similar design, don't have "bubbles" in their sets?

No idea, but none of us that have taken the sets apart have found any foreign substance in their.

If you don't like them, send them back. Hopefully, they'll trash 'em and the sets will get even more rare! :wink:

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@OPA said:

@MsMorrisine said:
    it's not a flaw

No idea, but none of us that have taken the sets apart have found any foreign substance in their.

If you don't like them, send them back. Hopefully, they'll trash 'em and the sets will get even more rare! :wink:

There may or may not be any "foreign substance" in the sets, but something is there that creates the bubbles. Bad packaging, cellophane membrane over the black paper not properly glued? I've returned the worst, but keeping the ones with only minor distractions. My guess, from my personal experience, is that at least 50% of the sets have minor and major "bubble" issues.

• Options
    ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 6, 2017 3:01PM

I have 4 sets, all exhibit these 'bubbles'.
    It is caused by the outer shell touching the inner insert holding the coins.
    No foreign substance involved as I opened one set of quarters.
    FWIW I don't see or think of it as a 'flaw'.

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file