Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received an email from Mike yesterday- he just said he was "sicker than a dog", but I don't know any more.

Last time I saw Mike's dogs they looked quite healty to me.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Glad to see that Mike responded. We are all pulling for you Mike.

Dr. Pete
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to see you in the vicinity of a keyboard, Mike. Hope your recovery is speedy.

In case anyone has a minute to spare, check out lot #531 of Stack's 8/1/17 ANA auction for a truly amazing PCGS-35, 1896-S quarter.
    [https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-7WBVO]

Pics for this AM, a plain jane without the character of "wispy grazes", PC50:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get better soon, Mike; this thread needs you back. WE need you back. I need you back. Get well my friend!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

It's amazing that the '96 S Quarter at the Stacks Auction straight graded. Really?

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:
    Glad to see you in the vicinity of a keyboard, Mike. Hope your recovery is speedy.

In case anyone has a minute to spare, check out lot #531 of Stack's 8/1/17 ANA auction for a truly amazing PCGS-35, 1896-S quarter.
    [https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-7WBVO]

Pics for this AM, a plain jane without the character of "wispy grazes", PC50:

wow!

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    It's amazing that the '96 S Quarter at the Stacks Auction straight graded. Really?

WOW.....no way that should grade!

Here is a Dime with 1 way smaller scratch (above ON) that didn't grade.

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2017 11:42AM

@DIMEMAN said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Agree completely. It's examples like that 96-S at Stacks that fuel the speculation that certain dealers and wealthy collectors are part of a supposed TPG "good ol' boy network" and can basically get coins into holders (and in grades) that ordinary collectors can't.

Prime example of why I buy the coin and not the holder (or the grade).

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    edited July 19, 2017 12:41PM

@DIMEMAN said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Here is a Dime with 1 way smaller scratch (above ON) that didn't grade.

That's a great looking dime with an old minor scratch. That one should have straight graded. I would crack it out and send it in again.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 19, 2017 1:52PM

I finally took a look at that 96-S quarter! All I can say is Holy SH*T!

It's not even net graded IMO!

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

Brief Update about Mike Hayes:

I just had a very brief conversation with Mike. He appreciates everyone praying and thinking about him. He does not yet have a complete prognosis of his condition and is still hospitalized. I shall update everyone whenever possible.

Craig

• Options

Thanks for the update- we all wish him well and miss him around here. It's just not the same......

• Options

Thanks also! Wishing Mike the Best! Sounds like he has a bug????

• Options

Were are all pulling for you Mike!

• Options

Cary - Couldn't agree more. How else could that qtr be straight graded?

Craig - Thanks for the update.

Pics for this PM, another that Doug acquired from Mike's August 2011 auction, that now has a happy home with me, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Pics for this PM, just crossed into the Stash, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vern, Can I have dibs on that '96-O in 45 (if Paes' or your stash) if an upgrade comes into play / whoever decides to part with it? My XF set could sure use an infusion like that! exquisite '96-O.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Purchased another Wayte Raymond album from David Lange. Similar to the quarters posted before, you may have noticed I have been picking up some modestly better circulated dimes as of late. The new album is for Barber dimes. Below are some of the more recent pick-ups. I call this a starter package or similar to what Jeff calls his: "fillers" ...

1897-P

1900-S

1908-S

1910-P

• Tim

• Options

Respectable 1898-S in a nicely worn, with warm, darker gray halo condition:

• Options

They're all handsome coins; an album is the right place to keep them. o:)

I'm in the process of assembling a complete circulated set of Barbers (10C, 25C, and 50C) in PC holders. With most of the dimes, a coin in less than AU condition isn't worth submitting, hence I call them "fillers" until I find a decent AU coin.

• Options
    edited July 21, 2017 10:46AM

Yep, these are all raw. There are some that might start to get a little pricey in XF, like the 1897-O dime, but you are correct that you need to put 3rd Party submittals into the right value context.

• Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

Thanks again Vern!

• Options

Tim - The 96-O qtr in 45 belongs to Paesan. I'd suggest sending him a PM. And congrats on the swift progress in filling your Raymond dime boards.

Jeff - I haven't looked in the registry lately. You've got to be getting close to complete sets of all 3 denominations.

Darrell - Congrats on the latest +. Our hosts have to love you.

Doug - And thank you for the seated qtr "type" coin.

Pics for this AM, a spare from Jim's collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Man! If the Obv of that coin was like the Rev. It would be a 68 or 69!

@BarberFanatic said:
    Here's a dime for those of you just waking up from your Sunday afternoon nap...

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Man! If the Obv of that coin was like the Rev. It would be a 68 or 69!

@BarberFanatic said:
    Here's a dime for those of you just waking up from your Sunday afternoon nap...

A lot of nice Dimes like this coin seem to have even a BETTER reverse.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

My eyes must be going.

Where is the scratch?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2017 7:12AM

@Treashunt said:

@JeffMTampa said:

My eyes must be going.

Where is the scratch?

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

Treashunt, "Accuracy compels us to mention several wispy grazes to Liberty's portrait." They all are just 'wispy grazes' so they are easy to miss.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you are doing better, Mike. Look forward to hearing from you very soon brother.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Cary - Tremendous eye appeal (IMO) on your '99 dime.

Pics for this PM, a V Nick just for a change of pace, PC63:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see a brand new Quarter set registered today. Complete and #2.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

It is with a heavy heart and much sadness that I must report the death of Mike Hayes this morning. He was a great friend to many of us and I can't begin to tell how much I will miss him. I really don't know what to say but I wished to let everyone know this terrible news.

This is very difficult.

Craig

• Options

I knew he was doing very bad. This is terrible news. He was one of my best friends and coin buddies.

We will miss you terribly Mike.......you will always be in our hearts. :(

• Options

Oh My God. I had no idea Mike was having serious problems. I sit here with a heavy heart. We had so many good conversations and he even came to Baltimore and took a space on my table. I have to go because I can't see to write because of my tears.

@Labelman87 said:
    It is with a heavy heart and much sadness that I must report the death of Mike Hayes this morning. He was a great friend to many of us and I can't begin to tell how much I will miss him. I really don't know what to say but I wished to let everyone know this terrible news.

This is very difficult.

• Options

The words are hard to read, Mike was a mentor to many and a friend to all.

We'll all miss Mike.

• Options

@MFH said:
    Jim....love the 05-O..... o:)

Mike's last post on July 5,

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Terrible news. My thoughts go out to his family.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

I just talked to Glenn on the phone. We are still trying to wrap our minds around this terrible terrible news.

Rest in peace my friend and prayers to all his friends and family. Mike will be terrible missed by all of us here.

• Options

I didn't know Mike personally but I sure appreciated our conversations over this thread. May he be in peace. My heart felt condolences to his family.

• Options

A recent '16-S pickup with machine doubling

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Upon the very sad news of Mike's passing I just went to my pm's and read about 10 years worth. Lots of fun, trading and above all trust and honesty. Always wanting to talk about coins.
    One particularly long one from Christmas 2008 stands out now because it ends with a greeting from a friend to a friend, though we'd never met in person.
    Happy collecting Mike.

"Dennis,
    I hope you take the time to browse the Mega Thread;
    you'll see what's new - and what's been happening with
    me - that I may have neglected to tell you.

Hope you have a great Christmas and a Healthy New Year.

Mike"

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭✭

Condolences to Mike's family, friends and collecting buds. No more pain. His room is ready.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

... I've recovered my composure...

Irish Michael and I had much in common. Similar backgrounds, interests and (God help me) just about the same age. We spoke often and most of the time about subjects of interest other than collecting. But, we were certainly friendly Barber rivals, :). I had Mike on my emergency list so, should something happen to me, he was a "contact person" to assist my wife, Kathy, with our collection. When you get to "I'm about a Fine 15 right now" you really cherish your friends.

Goodby Michael. We loved you and shall miss you dearly.

Craig

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

OMG - that is shockingly sad news to hear!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options

It is with heavy heart that I just learned that Mike Hayes has died. He was such a wonderful person, and fun to be around. He had an infectious enthusiasm about life and coins. I'll never forget you, MIke, your smile, your wit, your kindness, your free sharing of information, and your willingness to help anyone. You will be missed.

Dr. Pete
  • Options

Is there an obit anywhere on-line?

Dr. Pete

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file