Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's a little early for that, Dr. Pete.

Mike leaves his "children", Ginja and Max. They are now looking for a new good home. He loved playing with them, and they adored him.

Mike put up a good fight for a little over 2 weeks; I hope he went peacefully. I regret not visiting him more often- his wealth of knowledge was amazing.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    All SwedeAll Swede Posts: 85 ✭✭

I'm so sorry to hear about Mike. He certainly had an amazing knowledge base on Barbers. His past holdings that he frequently posted pictures on the thread was beyond amazing. It was so obvious that he really loved collecting coins ... right up to the end.

I wish I would've had the honor to meet him.
    Rest in peace Mike.

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    I think it's a little early for that, Dr. Pete.

Mike leaves his "children", Ginja and Max. They are now looking for a new good home. He loved playing with them, and they adored him.

Mike put up a good fight for a little over 2 weeks; I hope he went peacefully. I regret not visiting him more often- his wealth of knowledge was amazing.

I've heard that someone in Florida found a good home for Ginja and Max.

It's so hard to believe he is gone. Just last Jan. I stayed with Mike at his home and we drove back and forth to the FUN show. I got to see all of his Barbers in hand. He was the Barber Man!

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2017 6:52PM

I deeply miss you, Mike. RIP my friend. :'(

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2017 11:13AM

I am absolutely crushed by this news. :'(:'(

Back in the mid 90s when I started collecting and fanatically pursuing Barbers he was one of the first fellow collectors I found with a similar passion for them. We were certainly rivals in that sense, didn't always see eye to eye, but damn damn damn he was one of my closest friends in the hobby.

This one hurts.

:'(:'(:'(

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

RIP Mike

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike,

You had enough passion for the hobby to carry every single one of us on the thread.

I'll miss you, my friend. RIP.

Lenny

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Guys,

I'd love to see this thread renamed in Mike's honor.

Paesan

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. Hayes Barber Mega Thread.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

The thread was started by Mike......so the only way to get the Title changed would be for PCGS to do it.

• Options
    RedglobeRedglobe Posts: 597 ✭✭✭

My heart is saddened,I never new Mr. Hayes but read this thread every night. A great loss to this forum.I am in all favor to have this thread changed in his honor.

R.I.P

Rob
  • Options

@valente151 said:

@DIMEMAN said:
    The thread was started by Mike......so the only way to get the Title changed would be for PCGS to do it.

I believe I have the capability, but will only do so if the entire thread is in consensus.

I'm sure it's fine with everybody here.....after all it was Mike's thread.

• Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread, in his honor. I'll call PCGS if enough agree, or I'm open to suggestions.

Lenny

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@valente151 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

I believe I have the capability, but will only do so if the entire thread is in consensus.

That would be fitting and cool

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@paesan said:
    The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread, in his honor. I'll call PCGS if enough agree, or I'm open to suggestions.

Lenny

I don't see anyone objecting to this.

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭

Voting yes for the rename.

We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in favor.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be a fitting tribute for sure. I like "The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread" that was suggested.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

Valente151- have you made the update yet? Please do.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

While I have no problem with this. Mike has always had this thread branded. When I look for this thread I just scroll looking for Mike's avatar!

I am still not over the shock of this. The only saving grace, after learning what his diagnosis was, that he didn't suffer a long agonizing end of life.

@paesan said:
    Guys,

I'd love to see this thread renamed in Mike's honor.

Paesan

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

If PCGS is going to rename the thread can we get it stickied too?

• Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

Done. I will work on getting Mike's albums on his registry sets finalized as well. That was the initial reason I had his info.

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well done

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread. I'm also in agreement.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad the title of the thread has been changed to honor the memory of our friend. RIP, Mike.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

@valente151 said:
    Done. I will work on getting Mike's albums on his registry sets finalized as well. That was the initial reason I had his info.

Great job! :)

• Options

We are on page 117... what if we were to start megathread 4? Would that require a title change?

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you so much valente151. This is so very fitting. Thank you very much.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

valente151... you're awesome! how fitting

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad news for sure. I think it's very fitting that this thread has been renamed in his honor. R.I.P.

• Options

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am shocked to hear the terrible news. I thought Mike was getting better.

It certainly is a fitting tribute that this thread be renamed. RIP Mike.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

...A wonderful tribute for Mike. Thank you.

Craig

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just thinking that I saw some Hayes pedigreed coins. I have pinged Mike on several occasions about obtaining one of his "down graded" coins, but always a day late in my requests. Mike had some really nice stuff in his collection.

Great idea on renaming the thread!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Mike V,
    Thanks for taking care of the name change. I'm sure he's smiling up there!

• Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry to hear the news about Mike's passing. RIP Mike

• Options
    ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm shocked and very saddened by the news of Mike's passing. My heart and prayers go out to his family. Mike will be sorely missed.

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I LOVE that the thread has been renamed in honor of Mike. May it ever be so. I'm mostly a Barber thread lurker, but I've have noticed an endless stream of enthusiasm and encouragement from him over the years.

• Options
    mrkbrown87mrkbrown87 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

I was rambling through Facebook and just had my world shattered!! I can't believe mike is gone. He mentored me from the very first time I bought a barber coin. I haven't been in here since starting my new business much and I'm devastated. He played a huge part to us all. He will be missed so much. R.IP. Mike. We love ya buddy!

Mark Brown

Hoard the keys
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saddened to hear of Mike's passing. We just did a deal in Jume. Had a nice visit in
    person at Winter FUN. He had a kind spirit. He will be missed. Hopefully heaven will need a great dog walker
    Jim

• Options
    edited July 30, 2017 10:43AM

Good story.

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,332 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rest easy ol' friend. MIke was the most prolific collector I knew. He seemed to have four or five major collections going simultaneously, and was able to find great coins constantly. I hope he was able to put is affairs in order somewhat before he passed.

• Options
    CaseyCasey Posts: 1,502 ✭✭

Crushing news. I never had the pleasure of meeting Mike in person, but he was a great friend to me here as he was to so many others. So generous with his time and expertise. RIP Mike.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is a coin that I picked up at Winter FUN 2013 while getting Mike's enthusiastic approval on it at the show. I later sold it to him as it did not fit my collection. It was cheap but pretty and was in an ANACS MS63 Holder. I understand he tried to cross it and eventually let it go a short time later. It's a real looker in hand but has a few too many luster breaks on the obverse.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

I met Mike for the first time at the 2011 ANA in Chicago. That happened to be the show where Heritage was selling his complete sets of barbers, and was before prices were really jumping for AU58's. Some of his coins shocked him with how much they brought. I can remember him commenting that his 04-S half astounded him, and more than made up for some coins that didn't bring what he had in them. Here is one of Mike's that came my way in that auction, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file