Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

OK, I learned something today!

Here's one of the dimes returned from my recent submission, a 1900 in an AU 55 holder:

It took me a long time to find a decent 1900 in AU; go figure.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

Here's one of the dimes returned from my recent submission, a 1900 in an AU 55 holder:

It took me a long time to find a decent 1900 in AU; go figure.

Is it for sale??

• Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

I think I am on a "find as many early 1900's Philly quarters" as possible. This 1903 isn't too bad. I usually find that this date in circ. is rather dark.

Craig

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Is it for sale??

Nope, not for sale. The 1900 was a tough coin to find in AU. I found nice O and S mints much easier.

• Options

Labelman87 - nice 1903 quarter. If you ever want to part with it, let me know.

Jeff - good score on the 97-S. Tough coin!!

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options

Jeff - An excellent buy on the 97-S

Craig

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, great upside Jeff. Congratulations!

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff, that's just a wonderful, original coin. Great high-end circ 'look'. A super buy if you paid XF money. Nice to know there are a few gems still out there on eBay.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Thanks for all the love on the '97 S Quarter; I'm quite happy with it. I love finding tough coins in the wild!

Here's another newp back from the grading room, a 1908 Quarter now in a PCGS MS64 holder:

I paid AU 50 money for this coin in the raw from Mac Vanderstein on eBay. I suspect he thought it was a cleaned coin, but all of those hairlines are from die polishing. I posted a photo of this coin raw back in June; it received negative comments. Our departed buddy Mike offered positive comments, encouraging me to keep it and send it in for grading. I'm glad I did.

The date appears to be repunched (in the 8 and maybe the 1):

I need to examine it a bit further. For now it's become part of my MS Barber Quarter set.

• Options

Wow, I would have at first thought cleaning also. But looking more closely I can see it as die polish. Usually die polish is straight lines, but never say always. ;)

I also see the RPD...Great pick-up and good eye! B)

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff - I've yet to understand why machine doubling may affect only parts of a coin, your MM being an extreme example. Also, nice bargain on the 97-S.

Pic for this AM, Dan's micro O, I posted a couple days ago, is a perfect match for his 01-S:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭

Just heard the news about Mike...quite sad. We had several good conversations about Barbers and he was a great resource. He sold me at least 6 Halves for my PCGS 35 set, The Barbers of the Ville. He also had a connection to my home area and a childhood friend of his. He will be missed.

• Options

The next issue of the BCCS Journal (Centerfold) is going to feature a spread on Mike Hayes Liberty Nickels. I'm assisting John Frost in the effort. I've grabbed images from his sets of what I saw as his nicest coins, but if any of you have suggestions or images to use please let me know.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Jeff.

Never met Mike though we occasionally pm'd.

Nic in Sarasota.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sad. Wish I could have met Mike.

• Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭
    edited August 14, 2017 5:14PM

@JeffMTampa said:
    The next issue of the BCCS Journal (Centerfold) is going to feature a spread on Mike Hayes Liberty Nickels. I'm assisting John Frost in the effort. I've grabbed images from his sets of what I saw as his nicest coins, but if any of you have suggestions or images to use please let me know.

Most of the pics in Mike's recent sets were done by me, I'm happy to provide original files of them if needed. Also, any chance to get a copy of this once it is published?

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

This was > @valente151 said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Most of the pics in Mike's recent sets were done by me, I'm happy to provide original files of them if needed. Also, any chance to get a copy of this once it is published?

Thank you. At the BCCS meeting at the ANA, they mentioned they wanted a Liberty Nickel for the cover in 2018, and I mentioned they should have one of Mike's. I like the idea of a feature spread even more.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

Winter FUN is coming up and just won't be the same without my ole buddy Mike.......I really miss him! :'(

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

In a way, the FUN without Mike is no fun at all.

Miss you MFH. Rest In Peace brother.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Jeff - Glad to hear that some of Mike's nicks are going to be the next BCCS centerfold.

Pics for this PM, from my friend Keith's collection, he's had it for a while but I just now got pics, raw:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Craig, It would seem right-difficult to correctly assign grades on those die cap / blockages. Nice. Thanks for sharing.

• Options

In an effort to bump the thread up, here's a new 1909 10C I purchased raw; it came back in an AU 55 holder:

Nothing exciting, but it fills a hole in my set.

• Options

My new Barber Dime variety I found recently. Click on pic to enlarge. This is the only RPD for 1903-O I have seen in all my years of searching.

• Options

Craig - I can remember seeing Mike's 95-O in hand, and it was impressive.

Jeff - You have the touch.

Jon - Nice orig coin as well.

Pics for this AM, from Dan's raw qtr album:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2017 7:14AM

Vern, Dan, I don't think many realize how tough it is to get coins in that color and grade... especially the S-mint you have there from Dan. I note that the both of you, and Dave B., have done a great job in these regards as part of your quarter series collecting focus. Unfortunate hit on the date of that O-mint '92 but it doesn't detract from the contribution it is giving to the overall beauty of that P-O-S set you have unveiled there! Can you share more?

It should be noted that beyond F/VF, many more of the coins exhibited on this thread in a closer-to-AU grade have been stellar as well. I love this thread and appreciate all of you who are sharing your love of Barbers... whether it is Justin's mid-grade halves or Jeff's (and many more of youz) high-end AU's... Mike was a great inspiration in this regard.

• Options

Vern - You need to find an 1892-S Type 1 to get that perfectly matched set! :)

Craig

• Options

Tim - Agree 100%.

Craig - No easy task to find that Type 1.

Pics for this AM, more from Dan's raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Just got this back from PCGS......crossed from NGC58 to PCGS58.

• Options

Jon - Good looking 92-O.

Pics for this AM, more of Dan's raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Nice quarters there.

• Options

Just got these back from our host.
    The 1897 RPD302 PCGS63 crossed from NGC63. And the 1897 RPD303 PCGS62 crossed from NGC62.

• Options

Jon - You're batting 1000 on your crosses. Nice dimes.

Pics for this PM, from Dan's raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

This one resides in an NGC MS62 holder:

Yeah, I know... I'm a sucker for color.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

Cary - Beauty, that reverse is stellar.

Vern
    l
  • Options

I found this 1908 Barber Dime recently on ebay and wanted to share with the group. It may be the FS-302, which I need, in the CPG. If not it will be an addition to my unlisted varieties set. Thanks for looking and comments welcome. You can click on pics to enlarge.

• Options

Jon- What's up with the weak strike at the date?? Nice looking coin.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Jon- What's up with the weak strike at the date?? Nice looking coin.

Jeff - Pretty nice except for the weak bottom of the 8.

• Options

I see more than one thing going on inside that 8

• Options

This is a 1907-O in low grade that I found on ebay last year. I did a thread on the U.S. Coin forum but thought I would do one here with better close-ups of the "horns" on the top of crown and on the 9 in the date. I showed this to Fred W. at FUN last Jan. and while he couldn't see any metal movement...he wouldn't say it came from the mint this way until another is found. So everyone keep a lookout for this on 1907-O's.

• Options

What in the world? Wild!

• Options

Jon - Good looking 1908, in addition to the RPD. I'll keep my eyes peeled for another 07-O, it's my kind of variety (not hard to identify).

Vern
    l
  • Options

Dan and Vern, Tough and nice are those '97's... both of your quarter sets seem very comparable. If you set them side-by-side, who do you think would win? Do you each like one or the other better?

• Options

I agree....very nice Quarters.

• Options
    edited August 25, 2017 8:52PM

I remember Jeff cherrypicked an '01-O Horiz O dime a while back... I believe I may have just did the same thing here recently for small change. As I remember it, not as nice as Jeff's but it will obviously be more-recognizable and nicely enjoyable for me when I get it holdered! ...

• Options

Tim- looks good. Maybe nicer than mine; congrats!

• Options

Jeff, I don't have it in hand yet but I am almost certain it will be a cleaned coin once I am able to examine it. Thanks!

• Options

I'm pretty sure that coin has been cleaned. It's a tuff variety though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file