Home U.S. Coin Forum

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Quarters guys!

• Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭

This is one Barber Quarter that I would like to leave on the Thread for as long as it "lives". It is one I have owned for several years and one that was acquired through an interesting negotiation that always brings a smile to my face. ...No smooth Irish salesmanship on this one. ...ENJOY... :)

Craig

• No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beauty. Guessing from the pedigree you purchased it from Mike. Negotiations with Mike were always fun. Usually got a fair deal and a little education. Congrats on that acquisition

Jim,

Mike and I "danced"over this some time ago. We had some great times "picking" at each other.

Craig

Beautiful 1898......Mike was the GREATEST! Really miss him.....FUN won't be the same this year. :(

• StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2017 6:03PM

Hi Fellow Forum Members,

I've recently come out of numismatic hibernation, and am pleased to share the following 1915-D Toned Barber Half Dollar new purchase with you to get your thoughts, observations and comments.

I was attracted to this specific coin based on the Strong Strike (Full Radial Line definition in Obv. Stars) and what I consider to be attractive Smoky Toning. -- I also like the distinctive Denver mintmark.

I'd prefer to encourage more descriptive discussion of the coin in the thread prior to publicly disclosing the grade.

IMO we collectors tend to overly focus on grade, to the exclusion of descriptive discussion of the coin aesthetics such as Strike, Luster, and especially Eye Appeal -- which don't always directly translate to grade, which tends to primarily focus on number of contact marks and preservation state.

Let me know what you think... :)

1915-D Toned Barber Half Dollar

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

I like it a lot! Doesn't really matter what the grade is.

A lot of the fun of coin collecting is in the hunt no doubt! The relationships are the best things you can collect. Btw. That 63 09-O has a hammered strike. One of the nicest O mint strikes I have seen. I’m no expert on the tendencies of quarters, but that seems like a freak strike for an O mint coin. I agree with Vern ( who DOES know quarters) that is not a 63

In the Barber Quarter arena I like to look at the date and characteristics of the mint for the specific date. However, in general, I pay particular attention to the reverse of the coin. Shield tips, tail feathers, the claws (especially the claw nails) and the arrow feathers are the areas of exact detail. Below I have imaged the reverse of a PC64 1895-S, the reverse of a PC64 1901-O and the reverse of the PC63 1909-O. The 1895-S is semi-PL and sharp. The 1901-O, as nice as it is, is not the exquisite strike I look for. The 1909-O speaks for itself.

I am interested in how BQ collectors look for their buys. Thanks :)

Craig

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Strike is important to me! Especially when you see a coin with a strike like this:
    ebay.com/itm/1893-O-Barber-Half-Dollar-PCGS-AU53-/182807936023?epid=170404745&hash=item2a9033bc17:g:LZkAAOSwtXdZ1aqp

93-O halves are a tough coin to find with even a decent strike. It’s the worst struck BRber half imo

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a beautiful quarter Craig.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

In agreement with AmWldCoin's post earlier in this thread, I'd much rather have a fully-struck AU-58 depicting more of the coin's design, than a weakly struck Mint State coin exhibiting less detail.

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

Darrell, That '93-O strike is simply awful IMO. Hard to believe the New Orleans Mint would let that sort of thing even go out the door!

Lots of 93-Os with problems. Even the 58 in Darrell’s own set has strike issues. It was the last coin I found for my set because I could never find a coin I liked that didn’t have this issue
    Jim

IMO the 93-O half is the most difficult strike date. The Dale Friend specimen is the best one I have seen. Also, for me, the 1900-O and 1907-O Barber Quarters are the most difficult specimens to find with a decent strike.

Craig

New Orleans Mint Morgan Dollars are similarly weaker struck than Philadelphia, San Francisco and Carson City Mint Issues.

For Morgans typical mint strike strength in descending order from best to worst: San Francisco, Carson City, Philadelphia, New Orleans.

Stuart

At least with Morgans, there is a large enough population where you can hold out for better struck specimens. Populations for Barbers are much less and it is harder to be picky.

The worst struck Barber Half I ever owned was a 1907-O. It made that 93-O look like a well struck coin. It was AU luster wise all day long but PCGS netted it down for the strike and graded it 35. I'm trying to remember what I did with that coin. Part of my feeble mind thinks I cracked it and got it into an AU holder!

• BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

IMO the 1902-O is the worst strike date of the halves.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 7, 2017 4:50AM

Here's my 1893 O Half in PC AU 58:

I believe it would take the prize in an "!Ugly 58" contest. Still looking.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • TopoftheHillTopoftheHill Posts: 181 ✭✭✭

Just found this thread. Great pics! I'm drooling......

Welcome to the thread, Topofthehill!

Here's my 1897 O PC AU 58 Half with a hammered strike:

Hard to believe both coins were made at the same facility just a few years apart.

@JeffMTampa said:

Nice and original, but really mushy on that right wing.

@DIMEMAN said:

@JeffMTampa said:

I would say the same in the obverse wreath and temple area of Liberty regarding mushy-ness.

@sedulous said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@JeffMTampa said:

I would say the same in the obverse wreath and temple area of Liberty regarding mushy-ness.

Yes, actually a lot of mushy area's on this coin.

The coin was obviously removed from circulation very early in it's life because it was so ugly......

This is my latest Barber Dime purchase.

Thought I would take a pic of my 1900-O for the Registry set. It's a better date as Barber collectors know.

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

ldhair - Nice colorful proof halves!

DIMEMAN, Really like that '00-O in 55. I can see the quality surfaces on that specimen. Good registry add. Seeing your '00-S makes me think about checking what I got.

Jeff, History tells us that 'ugly' removes potential out of any good relationship between a coin and general circulation (as you suggest) or as a loved item by collectors.

TopoftheHill - Welcome the the best thread on the planet! Looking forward to seeing any pictures of Barber material you might want to share!

• T

Love those Proof Halves!

Another Barber Dime variety.

Another Barber Dime variety.

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭✭✭

Larry

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Stuart - Welcome back to numismatics, and especially to the Barber Mega-thread. To comment on your initial post, I agree that collectors focus too much on grade (especially by whatever grade the TPG's give a coin), and not enough on what they like in a coin, whether it be strike, eye appeal, amount of toning, etc. For me, grade is not as important as what I like in a coin (original surfaces, no rim nicks, reasonably full strike, etc).

Jon - Nice newps.

Larry - Good looking proofs.

Pics for this AM, newp for my friend Tim, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Nice Barbers!

• barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics for this PM, more from Dan's raw set:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
    edited October 12, 2017 6:00PM

@BarberKeys Thanks for your following kind words.

I’d be interested in your informed thoughts and qualitative observations about my new 1915-D Toned Barber Half Dollar.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

@barberkeys said:
    Stuart - Welcome back to numismatics, and especially to the Barber Mega-thread. To comment on your initial post, I agree that collectors focus too much on grade (especially by whatever grade the TPG's give a coin), and not enough on what they like in a coin, whether it be strike, eye appeal, amount of toning, etc. For me, grade is not as important as what I like in a coin (original surfaces, no rim nicks, reasonably full strike, etc).

Stuart

Stuart- The posted photos of your '15 D Half show a very nice looking MS 63'ish coin, albeit with a very noticeable fingerprint on the obverse. My guess is the coin in hand is even nicer; hopefully the fingerprint fades away into the toning.

I was fortunate enough to pick up a nice looking raw 1892 Type 1 Quarter last week:

My guess- it will come back from the grading room in a 63 holder. The obverse has nice light golden toning while the reverse looks freshly minted. Perhaps it was stored in a simple album for many years?

edited October 15, 2017 10:31AM

@JeffMTampa Thanks for your kind words about my new 1915-D Barber Half Dollar. :)

Your new 1892 Barber Quarter has great Eye Appeal! When I magnified your obverse photo I detected some light hairline scratches.

I’ll be very interested to learn whether TPGS grades it AU-58+ or MS-62/63.

It may be one of those coins that in strict technical terms grades AU-58, but warrants the MS-62 market grade. — Your Thoughts?

Stuart

Stuart- You are correct that there are minor hairline scratches on my new '92 Quarter, but I don't believe they're visible to the naked eye. My experience is that most MS 60 to 63 coins have some hairlines, but not all. This coin could very well come back as a 58, but I don't see a luster break on the cheek (indicative of a circulated coin). We'll see- either way I'll be happy.

Nice Quarter Jeff.

@Stuart said:
    Hi Fellow Forum Members,

A bit of weakness on the reverse lower shield is evident. Darker toning, whether feelings of handsomeness are relevant to you, tends to usually have a slight downgraded result in 3rd party holders. Slight markings or strikes to me does not contribute to or show evidence of wear in regards to this case. I concur with Jeff the coin could rightfully be considered choice uncirculated to me. Perhaps 63 but maybe 62 due to the darker toning. Not 58 to me. Not cleaned to me but could have been dipped and retoned but I can't tell for sure.

That cheek screams 58 to me! Yes some have passed through as 62's and I have even sold coins like this that the purchaser got into 62 holders in the past!

@sedulous said:

@Stuart said:
    Hi Fellow Forum Members,

A bit of weakness on the reverse lower shield is evident. Darker toning, whether feelings of handsomeness are relevant to you, tends to usually have a slight downgraded result in 3rd party holders. Slight markings or strikes to me does not contribute to or show evidence of wear in regards to this case. I concur with Jeff the coin could rightfully be considered choice uncirculated to me. Perhaps 63 but maybe 62 due to the darker toning. Not 58 to me. Not cleaned to me but could have been dipped and retoned but I can't tell for sure.

That is a beautiful 15-D. Love that color.

edited October 16, 2017 2:56PM

Just taking some pics.

Would have to hold it in hand and tilt under the light. I don't see the cheek surface friction you do Craig, apologies.

Beautiful dimes and photos, Jon.

I picked up an upgrade for my AU 50 1911 Barber Quarter last week, an AU 58 for David Kahn:

That is a NICE 1911 Jeff!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file