Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here are some recent pick-ups - been working on filling-up a Wayte Raymond album

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:
    Can anyone figure out what movie this picture came from? It looks like a 1908 Barber DIme.

GTM - Guess The Movie

"The Greatest Game Ever Played"?

Nope, good guess, more recent... here is another picture...

It seems no one was able to give me a correct answer on what movie this Barber dime was in... as it was clinking down the front steps of a large bank building... last chance before I reveal!

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim - It's hard to evaluate Dan's set vs mine, as a whole. Going coin by coin, I'm sure there are some of his I'd like better than mine. Also, nice find on the 01-O variety, and the pick-ups for your Raymond set. No idea on the movie, when I think of steps all I come up with is "The Untouchables" with Kevin Kostner, but that can't be it.

Pics for this PM, from Dan's raw set:

Can't seem to find the rev pic of the 98-O.

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Another hint: "kleptomaniac creature who likes shiny things" had some involvement with that dime

• Options

Hey, Check this out. A week ago, I went to the Iowa State Fair and they had these vendor booths. I saw this group that sold safes. Check out "The Man Cave" safe! It's HUGE! I am amazed they even sold safes of this size.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭✭✭

That might be big enough to house Lenny's stash.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

Another hint... Niffler

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

Becoming a big fan of Barbers. Here's my measly collections of them so far, all dimes.

1916 MS62 OGH:

1911 MS62 OGH:

1892 MS63:

• Options

Nice looking Dimes!

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Nice looking Dimes!

I concur!

• Options

Wow. COLOR on that '92!

• Options
    PhilLynottPhilLynott Posts: 881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Nice looking Dimes!

@DIMEMAN said:

@JeffMTampa said:
    Nice looking Dimes!

I concur!

Thanks gents!

@sedulous said:
    Wow. COLOR on that '92!

Yep! One of my favorite finds so far, definitely a stunner that will be with me for a long time

• Options

Here are some new pics of my Barber Dime varieties that didn't have pics before. I wish I was better at this.

• Options

Nice coins and photos, Jon. I like the closeup views.

It's been about 6 weeks since the departure of our dear friend Mike. I was driving through Naples yesterday thinking of him and his collections; I wonder what will become of them? I suspect his heirs have started thinking of selling the vast majority of them. It will be a shame to see his sets just "vanish" from the Registry some day; perhaps we can figure out a way to get PCGS to retire them for preservation sake? Thoughts?

Does anyone here have a personel connection to any of the staff that might be able to assist?

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

It's been about 6 weeks since the departure of our dear friend Mike. I was driving through Naples yesterday thinking of him and his collections; I wonder what will become of them? I suspect his heirs have started thinking of selling the vast majority of them. It will be a shame to see his sets just "vanish" from the Registry some day; perhaps we can figure out a way to get PCGS to retire them for preservation sake? Thoughts?

Does anyone here have a personel connection to any of the staff that might be able to assist?

Jeff, I am sure that Mike's sets can be retired. It's just a matter of getting with PCGS. I will contact BJ and see what I can find out.

• Options

Here are 2 more.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

Jeff, I talked to BJ and said sure....she will retire all of Mike's sets today. :)

• Options

Another.

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff, The Stash is dwindling. Your collection might fit though!

Phil, Nice looking dimes and thanks for posting.

Paesan

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff
    I have started collecting a few key and semi-key Barber dimes. Figured you needed some competition. Stay cool in steamy Tampa
    Jim

• Options

Really nice coins Jon and Phil. Can feel the love.

Jeff and Lenny, Good call on the set retirement.

• Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I get to cry a month after you guys. I stopped reading this thread regularly as I was afraid you guys would convince me to collect those nasty dimes and quarters. I put together a set of halves from VF-AU, several with Hayes pedigrees and many from Holsonbake that were likely sourced from Mike. Mike was just as excited about a nice 35 (my preferred grade) as he was with his gems. I am traveling down to FL in September and thought I would catch up with Mike. I also noticed other sources in my set from people/friends who are no longer here including Larry (SeaEagle), Abe (Bear) and others. This place is supposed to be fun, not stuff like this, sheesh!

ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options

Tim - Not a movie I'm familiar with.

Phil - Nice dimes. Welcome to the barber mega-thread, and to barber collecting in general.

Jon - You are definitely the dime man. Nice coins.

Pics for this PM, from Dan's raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2017 9:05AM

Love the 1899-S. Gorgeous! Wish all my VFs looked just like it. The 99-s is of my favorite quarter sleepers!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Jeff, I talked to BJ and said sure....she will retire all of Mike's sets today. :)

Jon-

I see BJ retired Mike's sets; thanks for contacting her and making it happen. It's a little bittersweet seeing his sets retired, but better that than just disappearing.

• Options

@Dave99B said:
    Love the 1899-S. Gorgeous! Wish all my VFs looked just like it. The 99-s of my favorite quarter sleepers!

Dave

I can't agree more with Dave. The '99-S quarter is probably the most difficult to acquire in mid-grades of VF. It is near the same par as the '09-O in XF-AU... in fact the '99-S mintage is LESS than the '09-O. I am very excited to know there is another VF of that quality out there raw. Tough! I personally have 2 of the 3 in PC25 and 1 of the 2 in PC30... I know of less than a handfull of raw specimens... the rest are Details grade.

Thanks for sharing! Wow.

• Options
    edited August 30, 2017 8:19AM

More 1899-S quarters in F to VF (Fine grades are not nearly as tough as VF). What follows are the results from a multi-year strenuous search:

PCGS VF30:

PCGS VF25 CAC:

PCGS VF25 from Holsonbake:

PCGS F12 also from Holsonbake:

F12 Raw from JKT (perfect color IMHO):

And more images from collection:

Another image of the purchase of John T's F12:

• T

• Options

@sedulous said:

@sedulous said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:
    Can anyone figure out what movie this picture came from? It looks like a 1908 Barber DIme.

GTM - Guess The Movie

"The Greatest Game Ever Played"?

Nope, good guess, more recent... here is another picture...

It seems no one was able to give me a correct answer on what movie this Barber dime was in... as it was clinking down the front steps of a large bank building... last chance before I reveal!

RESULT REVEAL OF MOVIE with a prominent Barber Dime is...

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

• Options

As long as we're showing off '99 S Quarters, here's mine in an AU 53 holder:

I haven't heard of the movie Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. I need to look for the movie. I guess the Barber Dime is recognized as a "Fantastic Beast"?

• Options

Jeff, Thanks for bringing that beauty out again! The color is so unique and exquisite!

Fantastic Beasts was a prequel to the Harry Potter series.

• Options

A recent purchase - IMO a very nice mid-grade VF 1899-P Barber Quarter:

• Options

Jeff, I love the AU53 99-S. You don't see many that nice in AU. Gorgeous original toning.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Tim - I've heard of that movie, I think it's been on HBO the past month or two. I'll have to watch it.

Pics for this PM, my raw 99-S (I like Dan's better):

Vern
    l
  • Options

Still a beautiful coin Vern. One of the few really nice ones. Nicely matches the set you have. Would you grade it VF20? or VF25? (if we did a GTG).

• Options

Tim - I'd go with 20.

Pics for this PM, from Dan's set:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Nice coins!

• Options

Pics for this PM, virtually perfect (IMO) newp into Milo's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern, Milo, wholeheartedly agree. Nice coin.

• Options

The thread seems a little slow. Here's my 1892 O Half:

I've had it for a couple of years now, but it's still one of my favorites.....

• Options

Sent in another dozen coins to our hosts today as well as a CAC shipment. In the CAC package, seeing if I can become population 1 of 1 with my '99-S PC30. In the grade of VF30, there are only 2 coins certified at PCGS. The other VF30 certified is viewable on our hosts Registry for Barber quarters basic set circ strikes under Tohmba's collection - currently ranked 15th. He has some amazing mid-grade quarters in there and 100% complete as well. All nice pics and all either VF 30 or 35 (except the '01-S being VG08).

• Options

I'm with you Jeff, a very nice '92-O half. I can see why you enjoy it so much. The color is gentle and pleasing.

• Options

Beautiful 92-O Half.

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Milo, Congrats on a beautiful 08-S! I've seen this coin before??
    Jeff, Perfect AU-64 half!

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Jeff - Good looking 92-O.

Tim - Good luck with the submissions.

Pics for this AM, my 08-S, which came via Paesan, PC64:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Love the 04-S Half dollar, Justin. Wowzer!

That's what I call a 1%-er. It's easily in the Top 1% of it's class for a VF20 example. Lovely coin in every regard. I look forward to the day you get tired of it!

Dave

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that a VF30? Sure beats any 20 I ever saw!

@LogPotato said:
    I vowed to stop collecting for a long period of time. And I was doing good so far until I found a coin I've never owned above VG. This is probably the last coin I will buy for a very long time, but I felt it was worth it. VF20 CAC from Heritage. One of the nicest lower VF coins of this date I have seen. There are a bunch of 04-S's that get graded (somehow) but I felt this one was pretty solid. I will admit, the sticker made me feel a bit more comfortable spending the most I've ever spent on a coin.

• Options

Quality for the grade Justin. Nice job!

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

Agree with Darrell... I've seen worse looking examples of this date with less remaining detail in PC30 holders. You did good, Justin! :)

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

That is a beautiful 04-S. Most original I have ever seen. They are usually cleaned to "look" better. Great coin!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file