Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

'13-S quarter... holy smokes Vern

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great tough half and a nice story, And Mike could still tell you the good and bad about that coin,

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mike sure bought and sold a lot of Barber Dimes, Quarters and Halves. He was a good friend who I talked to and PM'ed often during the year and then always got to visit with every year at the Winter FUN show.

I sure will miss him this coming Jan.! :( He was a great friend.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics for this PM, the 01-S qtr Mike owned and traded in when he acquired his micro O half, sometime prior to 2011, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to ask if that coin would fill your bill on the 01-S hole you are looking to fill!

@barberkeys said:
    Pics for this PM, the 01-S qtr Mike owned and traded in when he acquired his micro O half, sometime prior to 2011, PC55:

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's hard to pass on an 01-S quarter that nice if you're lucky enough to come across one!

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Darrell - Nope, that one is not for me.

Dave - Like the originality of your 01-S.

Pics for this PM, the only AU 01-S that I've seen in hand that clicked my trigger. It's happily secure in Paesan's Stash, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lenny! Hasn't Verne looked long enough??? ;)

• Options
    edited August 1, 2017 5:50PM

Some beautiful San Fran '01's fellas. Thanks for breaking them out. Dave, your VF is really neat looking at that grade level. Lenny, so much appeal with the quantity of luster showing through for that AU... my oh my! Vern, Is that earlier specimen that was formerly Mike's yours now? I can't remember. Nice coin.

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darrell, You know, that elusive 01-S keeps Vern going. There's probably only one on the planet with his name on it, and after he finds it, then what???

More coins, less government.
  • Options

Darrell - I haven't looked long enough yet.

Tim - No, that 01-S in 55 never belonged to me. The last I knew it was in Jack Beymer's inventory.

Paesan - I know of at least one on the planet. It's an MS-65 and is not for sale, and is unlikely to come up for sale in my lifetime.

Pics for this PM, the only one I currently own, bought from Harry Laibstain in 2007, PC35:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Vern, so awesome '01-S!

• Options

@sedulous said:

I have some with the same sort of "Minor Variety" designation. Perhaps their current rule is new? I just sent one in for variety atribution that is a RPM, but I don't think it's the FS variety recognized.

Let me know what you find out Jeff on your RPM when it returns... or whether they simply say "thank you" for the $9. and absorb the extra fundage.

My submission from mid June posted today. I submitted an 1893 S/S dime on the variety tier even though it wasn't the FS variety. Of course PSGS mentioned nothing about the variety in the grade. Hopefully I'll get the coin back on Saturday and see if there's any mention on the holder. If not, PCGS will have taken the money and run. :'(

• Options

Good insight and information. Sorry it turned out the way it did Jeff. I don't understand why PCGS doesn't recognize easy-to-see, obvious varieties in the Barber dime series like that.

• Options

I found out yesterday afternoon that I need to go to Ft. Meyers (on business) in a couple of weeks for a rew days. My inital thoughts were "great, I can go visit with Mike for a few evenings". Then reality set in.

Damn he'll be missd.

• Options

Pics for this AM, spare in Jim's "No Headlight" collection, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vern, I absolutely love your 01-s that you got from Harry. Nice example! Wow.....

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

I agree Dave. It just might be the most perfect '01-S at that grade level. The gentle gray blanket that graces that coin reminds me of the '92-S VF I bought from you in April 2015... which obviously doesn't even compare whether in quality, price, and grade to the Laibstain / Sebby piece... in fact, sorry I now even mentioned it.

• Options

@sedulous said:
    I agree Dave. It just might be the most perfect '01-S at that grade level. The gentle gray blanket that graces that coin reminds me of the '92-S VF I bought from you in April 2015... which obviously doesn't even compare whether in quality, price, and grade to the Laibstain / Sebby piece... in fact, sorry I now even mentioned it.

Hey, any nice 01-S Quarter is worth mentioning.

• Options
    edited August 5, 2017 2:31PM

Dirty grey 1901-s VF-XF quarters are so very difficult to locate. In the last 20 years I've seen at least 7 or 8 different PCGS/NGC VF examples that were dipped bright white. Some had been scrubbed as well. Most were in problem-free holders! Seems like the grading services cut some serious slack to this key date. Anyway, they were wholly unnatural...nothing I would want in my dirty VF set. Finding a nice circulated VF example (as I finally did last year) that has eluded the many coin doctors is a reason to celebrate! :p:p:p

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

Dave - I've yet to see an XF 01-S qtr that was original, but that's not from a big sample.

Pics for this AM, another original VF 01-S, formerly in Doug's collection, PC20:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

@barberkeys said:
    Pics for this AM, spare in Jim's "No Headlight" collection, PC50:

Forgot to comment on this one earlier.

This is a great half dollar. If Jim ever wishes to sell it, I am a buyer!

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

@barberkeys said:
    Dave - I've yet to see an XF 01-S qtr that was original, but that's not from a big sample.

Pics for this AM, another original VF 01-S, formerly in Doug's collection, PC20:

This is one of the nicest 01-S Quarters I have ever seen.

• Options

What a great VF20! Nice!

This makes me want to put together a Fine-XF grading set of PCGS 1901-s quarters. The only thing stopping me is .... oh ya, money.

Dave

• Options

@Dave99B said:
    What a great VF20! Nice!

This makes me want to put together a Fine-XF grading set of PCGS 1901-s quarters. The only thing stopping me is .... oh ya, money.

Dave

And supply. :)

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Barber Fanatic
    The 1900 half is for sale. Vern has it listed under his Barber Keys moniker for $290. The listing mentions a 13-S quarter in the title. Thanks for the interest.
    Jim

• Options

@No Headlights said:
    Barber Fanatic
    The 1900 half is for sale. Vern has it listed under his Barber Keys moniker for $290. The listing mentions a 13-S quarter in the title. Thanks for the interest.
    Jim

Awesome! I just messaged Vern about it. Thanks!

• Options

Cary - Thanks.

Pics for this AM, another VF 01-S that IMO was pretty decent, formerly in Walt's collection, PC25:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Here's my '01 S:

So it's a half; details.

• Options
    edited August 8, 2017 7:33AM

So you straight-graded and CAC'd a details coin... nice job. It looks really good in the picture.

(details: kidding of course)

I miss Mike's comments. He always had the right thing to say.

• Options

This run of 01-S quarters is just mind-blowing. Thanks guys for posting these little gems. Wow....

Dave

• Options

@sedulous said:
    So you straight-graded and CAC'd a details coin... nice job. It looks really good in the picture.

(details: kidding of course)

I miss Mike's comments. He always had the right thing to say.

Tim-

I was thinking of cutting the coin in half so I had two 1901 S Quarters in AU 55, That would likely end up in the Details holder, however.

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Good insight and information. Sorry it turned out the way it did Jeff. I don't understand why PCGS doesn't recognize easy-to-see, obvious varieties in the Barber dime series like that.

I picked up my submission at the Post Office today. The '93 S Dime I submitted with variety attribution was an obvious S/S, but it clearly wasn't the S/S variety that PCGS recognizes (with an FS number). The label has no mention of a variety, so the lesson learned is unless a variety on your coin is a specific one that PCGS recognizes don't submit it for Variety Attribution- you'll just waste your money. I don't believe I took a photo of it prior to sending it in.....

• Options

I was able to photograph a few of my new toys last night that arrived from PCGS yesterday. They were all Barber Dimes and Quarters except for a lone 1824 Bust Half.

Here's a 1914 S Quarter purchased raw now in a VG 8 holder:

Not a bad coin considering I paid less than G 4 money for it. There are still decent raw coins running around.

• Options
    edited August 9, 2017 5:06AM

Here's another new Barber Quarter for my Everyman set, a 1900 in a PCGS AU 55 holder:

My Everyman Set had an XF 45 in it for a couple of years. For whatever reason I had a tough time tracking down a nice AU example. I purchased this one in an ANACS AU 55 holder and cracked it out before submitting.

This coin has a repunched "1" in the date (and maybe the "9")?

This is NOT a variety that PCGS recognizes, so I guess it's irrelevant.

• Options

I guess I killed the thread again.........

Sorry.

• Options

Wow. Nice repunching on the "1" in the date. So I presume the 1900 XF is on your parting block?

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I guess I killed the thread again.........

Sorry.

Hey, I like your 1900 Quarter with the RPD.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

I picked up my submission at the Post Office today. The '93 S Dime I submitted with variety attribution was an obvious S/S, but it clearly wasn't the S/S variety that PCGS recognizes (with an FS number). The label has no mention of a variety, so the lesson learned is unless a variety on your coin is a specific one that PCGS recognizes don't submit it for Variety Attribution- you'll just waste your money. I don't believe I took a photo of it prior to sending it in.....

Once again, sorry you got that outcome on the S/S. Your result is good info for everyone to know, however. Thanks for sharing Jeff.

• Options

I have a number of new dime purchases but I am in St. Louis this week. Will work on images next week for sharing.

• Options

Jeff - Interesting about our hosts variety attribution practices. It's an unregulated license to print money.

Pics for this PM, my friend Dan has had this rarity for several years. I only was able to gets pics yesterday, PC10:

Vern
    l
  • Options

@sedulous said:
    Wow. Nice repunching on the "1" in the date. So I presume the 1900 XF is on your parting block?

Yes, I'm going to part ways with my XF 45 1900 Quarter. I need to take some decent photos.

I shot my new Dimes last night but haven't post processed them yet. Here's the S?S from my '93 S/s Dime:

It's not like one needs to go looking for the variety...... I wonder how FS happened to choose the variety's they did? They only touched the tip of the iceberg and missed many of the most interesting ones. Perhaps BCCS needs to take on the project to complete it.

• Options
    edited August 10, 2017 6:21AM

I agree Jeff. You know, I / We can continue to write articles but if we all collaborated on a series of books, that financially could provide ourselves free dues for life? What if we went to the Newman portal and grabbed additional past Journal info to add to the new compilation / book? Just some thoughts. Call it a Feigenbaum upgrade if we can get DLRC to help with the project and be the publisher?

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:

Yes, I'm going to part ways with my XF 45 1900 Quarter. I need to take some decent photos.

I shot my new Dimes last night but haven't post processed them yet. Here's the S?S from my '93 S/s Dime:

It's not like one needs to go looking for the variety...... I wonder how FS happened to choose the variety's they did? They only touched the tip of the iceberg and missed many of the most interesting ones. Perhaps BCCS needs to take on the project to complete it.

This is not even an RPM.....just MD. Just in case you don't know....when you send a coin in for attribution and it fails they put half in you credit account. Nine bucks is better than nothing.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

This is not even an RPM.....just MD. Just in case you don't know....when you send a coin in for attribution and it fails they put half in you credit account. Nine bucks is better than nothing.

Hmmmm.... what does "MD" stand for? I'm not familiar with the term.

I know they will give me half the fee back, but I knew when I sent it in it wasn't a FS variety. I was wondering if they would at least acknowledge the RPM.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:

@DIMEMAN said:

Hmmmm.... what does "MD" stand for? I'm not familiar with the term.

I know they will give me half the fee back, but I knew when I sent it in it wasn't a FS variety. I was wondering if they would at least acknowledge the RPM.

That's just it, Jeff.....it's not a RPM. MD is machine doubling, which is a bounce during striking....it's not on the die. See the thread on this that someone started today. If it was an RPM, but not one they (PCGS) recognize.....then they put Minor RPM on the label. Hope this makes sense to you.

• Options

Jon-

Thanks for the clarification. If it's Machine Doubling there should be doubling elsewhere on the coin- I'll take a look.

And ys, I understand that Machine Doubling won't show on the label; it's begining to make sense.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Jon-

Thanks for the clarification. If it's Machine Doubling there should be doubling elsewhere on the coin- I'll take a look.

And ys, I understand that Machine Doubling won't show on the label; it's begining to make sense.

Jeff, that is another strange thing about MD.......it is not always anywhere else on the coin. I know that doesn't make sense, but it's true. On your 93-S you can see it on the left ribbon bow also.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file