Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options

Paesan - YES, you've seen this 08-S before!!
    Vern - Superior 08-S in 64. Some kind of coin.
    Guys - lots of nice coins in various grades posted in the recent days.
    Florida guys - Good luck with Irma rolling in like a freight train.

Milo

What?!?! No Barber quarters in the mail today!?!? ... "heavy sigh" ...
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Justin - Wonderful original coin. I can see why it would pull you back in.

Pics for this PM, from Dan's raw collection:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@All Swede said:

Florida guys - Good luck with Irma rolling in like a freight train.

Thanks Milo- time to hunker down. In 48 hours our fate will be known. I plan on sticking it out at home- I never claimed to be smart.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

Thanks Milo- time to hunker down. In 48 hours our fate will be known. I plan on sticking it out at home- I never claimed to be smart.

You know, Jeff... if you need somebody to look after your collection while the storm rolls through you are welcome to overnight it to me. I'd hate to see all those good coins get washed away in a massive storm surge, or blown away by 150+ mph winds.

After things settle down, I might even mail it back to you. :wink:

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

The coins aren't a concern at this time- they're tucked away in a vault. It's the 3K bottles of wine in my cellar I'm staying home to protect- I need to keep filling the generator gas tank to keep the cooling unit running (one the electricity goes down).

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    The coins aren't a concern at this time- they're tucked away in a vault. It's the 3K bottles of wine in my cellar I'm staying home to protect- I need to keep filling the generator gas tank to keep the cooling unit running (one the electricity goes down).

If you run out of fuel, give me a call. I'll drive down and help you drink a few of them. ;)

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lenny
    If you change your mind we have room for you at our house. Never have hurricanes in Iowa. Best wishes
    Jim

• Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BarberFanatic said:

You know, Jeff... if you need somebody to look after your collection while the storm rolls through you are welcome to overnight it to me. I'd hate to see all those good coins get washed away in a massive storm surge, or blown away by 150+ mph winds.

After things settle down, I might even mail it back to you. :wink:

Salt water and coins don't mix for sure. Has anyone ever tested (using inexpensive numismatic material) how well PCGS or other 3rd party holders protect when submerged over hours, days, or weeks?

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2017 3:49AM

Here is my 1892 Barber Dime Type in my 7070;

Imaged by robec

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

Cary - You're a helpful guy.

Lenny, Jeff and all in Florida - Wishing you the best.

oih8 - Beautiful coin.

Pics for this PM, from Dan's raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Dan has some gorgeous coins in there! Did you work it out to where you took those pics for Dan, Vern? Really good images and coins.

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Justin, Beautiful 04-S half. Congrats on that. I've slowed down quite a bit myself. Hopefully Baltimore will get me on track again.

Vern, Glad you're taking good care of my 08-S quarter. It's a beaut.

Jeff, Good luck enduring the storm. Nasty wind and rain here now. No power outage yet but we've had some flickers. I didn't know you were a wine lover. I hope you don't lose any. Key West getting slammed right now. Don't we have a buddy who does half dollars in The Keys?

Paesan

More coins, less government.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sure hope Mike's family got his coins in a safe place from Irma!!!

• Options

Lenny,
    Hope you are safe and sound. See you in Baltimore.
    Jim

• Options

We're going through the backside of Irma now without any big issues. Yea!

• Options

Awesome news Jeff!

• Options

Glad to hear it Jeff. Looks like the projections of storm surge were somewhat off. Best wishes

• Options

These are 2 new varieties that I sent to Dr. Wiles to be attributed.
    First is a 1892-O RPM-2 PCGS53..repunching is South West.

Second is a 1907-D RPM-1 PCGS53 that is also a RPD.

• Options

Glad to hear it. Are you still planning on Baltimore in November y?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear Jeff and Lenny came through with no major issues!

• Options

Tim - Dan only lives about 15 miles from me, so being able to arrange pics is not much hassle. Also, some of his quarters were once mine, so I already had pics.

Lenny & Jeff - Very pleased to hear that you survived Irma, without anything really bad happening.

Jon - Nice varieties.

Pics for this PM, more from Dan's raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options

I've recently been devoting my coin attention to Barber Dimes. I purchased a 1902 S in an a PC AU 58 holder at a Heritage Auction a few weeks ago at a good price. Not a bad coin, but the reverse appears to have PVC on the right side:

The coin is in a new generation holder. How did it get holdered with PVC damage? I know the PVC will come off with acetone, but will PCGS treat it and re-holder it under their guarantee? Or do I need to send it in for restoration and a new holder on my "dime"? I'm concerned if I crack it out to remove the PVC and resubmit it has a good chance of returning in a 55 holder.....

Thoughts?

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    I've recently been devoting my coin attention to Barber Dimes. I purchased a 1902 S in an a PC AU 58 holder at a Heritage Auction a few weeks ago at a good price. Not a bad coin, but the reverse appears to have PVC on the right side:

The coin is in a new generation holder. How did it get holdered with PVC damage? I know the PVC will come off with acetone, but will PCGS treat it and re-holder it under their guarantee? Or do I need to send it in for restoration and a new holder on my "dime"? I'm concerned if I crack it out to remove the PVC and resubmit it has a good chance of returning in a 55 holder.....

Thoughts?

To me this ought to be corrected on their "Dime". :) I for sure would not crack it. Call CS and see where they stand.

• Options

Glad you are back at your game so quickly! I also would not crack that sucker but your pictures do seem to degrade my interpretation of grades. I would just ask them at the next show they are attending you will be at(FUN?) and note the coin was recently submitted. I would wager the odds are in your favor they will take care of it for you.

@JeffMTampa said:

Thoughts?

• Options

Thanks for the input Darryl and Jon. I'll likely wait until FUN in January to approach PCGS; perhaps Mr. Willis will be here?

Since the show is in Tampa this January I plan on exhibiting my Everyman Half set. It's nowhere near the top set, but it's likely the best set to be displayed in a while. My goal is to recruit more Barber collectors by showing a decent set. We'll see if anyone get's inspired (or even looks).

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Thanks for the input Darryl and Jon. I'll likely wait until FUN in January to approach PCGS; perhaps Mr. Willis will be here?

Since the show is in Tampa this January I plan on exhibiting my Everyman Half set. It's nowhere near the top set, but it's likely the best set to be displayed in a while. My goal is to recruit more Barber collectors by showing a decent set. We'll see if anyone get's inspired (or even looks).

I will look for sure. :)

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭

I see this color of green, pvc or not, on a lot of coins graded by both tpgs. I don't know if it's active pvc or not. From what I've seen on a few nickel albums passed from my family it tends to be a more neon green (pvc). Either way, it's unattractive and I don't know why they straight grade them. If it it isn't PVC it definitely looks "active".

• Options

I see PVC on both sides.

• Options

I see PVC on both sides as well, but otherwise I like the coin.

• Options

Beautiful Quarter.

• Options

Wow!

• Options

So nice!

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very attractive!

• Options

Jeff - I'd ask PCGS to remove the PVC. From first hand experience, I know they have done it in the past.

Dave - That sure is a special qtr to have tucked away.

Pics for this PM, more from Dan's raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Dan, Vern, I am really liking your quarter set! how did you say it is displayed? did you choose an album?

• Options

Regulated - What a beauty, and tough.

Tim - Dan has his raw set in a Dansco album.

Pics for this AM, just back from our hosts, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Nice 15 half Vern! Congrats

• Options
    edited September 15, 2017 5:30PM

I see a new VF20 CAC 04-S half came up on eBay. I guess mine would be worth a lot less if the buying power of CAC was based on that coin. Kind of sickening.

• Options

CAC isn't always right. Just another of many opinions out there. Too much emphasis on CAC imho. Use your own skills
    Jim

• Options

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL! Your coin blows Dave's outta the water...I still think it's a 30 and you can't read the number on the slab!

@LogPotato said:
    I see a new VF20 CAC 04-S half came up on eBay. I guess mine would be worth a lot less if the buying power of CAC was based on that coin. Kind of sickening.

• Options
    edited September 15, 2017 8:27PM

@No Headlights said:
    CAC isn't always right. Just another of many opinions out there. Too much emphasis on CAC imho. Use your own skills
    Jim

I know they don't always get it right. Human opinion is always subjective. The problem I find is, my coin will be compared to that coin one day. As if they were equals.

I don't put an emphasis on CAC ever. I did feel a bit more comfortable buying my coin because of the sticker, but the feeling quickly went away when I saw this coin.

• Options

You can rest comfortably with that comparison. Your coin will be recognized as the vastly superior coin. You have a good coin eye.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2017 1:50AM

Jim - The '15 in 58 belongs to Dan.

Justin - Your 04-S is definitely nicer IMO and will always be worth more, but I can understand your concern. CAC is not the ultimate say in anything, just as PCGS and NGC are not the ultimate valuator of coins. It's just an opinion, and IMO not a very consistent opinion. More will follow on this lack of consistency (I'm sure).

Pics for this AM, more from Dan's raw set (and I'm a big fan of his 05-S):

Vern
    l
  • Options

Justin, I honestly think if you cracked and resubmitted your 04-S to PCGS it would come back VF30 and CAC would sticker it again for you at the new grade. It's a great example.

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DIMEMAN said:

@JeffMTampa said:

@sedulous said:
    Wow. Nice repunching on the "1" in the date. So I presume the 1900 XF is on your parting block?

Yes, I'm going to part ways with my XF 45 1900 Quarter. I need to take some decent photos.

I shot my new Dimes last night but haven't post processed them yet. Here's the S?S from my '93 S/s Dime:

It's not like one needs to go looking for the variety...... I wonder how FS happened to choose the variety's they did? They only touched the tip of the iceberg and missed many of the most interesting ones. Perhaps BCCS needs to take on the project to complete it.

This is not even an RPM.....just MD. Just in case you don't know....when you send a coin in for attribution and it fails they put half in you credit account. Nine bucks is better than nothing.

agreed, just MD

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:
    Jon-

Thanks for the clarification. If it's Machine Doubling there should be doubling elsewhere on the coin- I'll take a look.

And ys, I understand that Machine Doubling won't show on the label; it's begining to make sense.

The true RPM frequently had MD to the left, but the RPM is strong to th eright.
    There is nothing showing here.
    The real RPM is visible even in low grades.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options

Pics for this PM, another of Dan's just back from the house, PC50:

Vern
    l

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file