Home U.S. Coin Forum

5th Time's a Charm!

amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well....after it's 5th try my avatar finally received it's well warranted + designation. Even though I did not need this one +'d it was so much nicer than the + I bought I just had to keep trying. Compare it to the 92 that's in my set at the moment!

Comments

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats - nice coin.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you are happy, that is what matters. I admire your persistence in the pursuit of the "plus" designator...just not sure I have that type of indefatigability. Sure is pretty though!

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's guess the grade! Reverse looks 65 - 66; however, I should not embarrass myself with my grade for the obverse. What the heck...MS-63. So, MS-63/65 = Slabbed as MS-64+ Hopefully, I'm wrong as IMHO 63 is much better. Guess the + on the fifth try is for originality.

Anyone brave enough to give a guess?

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm guessing it's graded AU58+ and, if so, that is a heck of a lot of coin for the grade!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2017 9:09AM

Yes...It's a 58+, Can't believe it took 5 tries! PS that brown area on the cheek is virtually nonexistent in hand!

• Peace_dollar88Peace_dollar88 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, beautiful coin! Love the luster on this one!

Unless there is a lot of gray, rubbed, surface on the face (not seen in image except perhaps the chin), I'd send it to another service, coins this nice are generally graded MS-62 at the minimum.

edited July 21, 2017 9:29AM

LOL! You haven't tried to buy a 58+ Barber Half I see. A 62 would be worth less than 1/2 what a 58+ is in today's Market...Yeah I know it doesn't make sense but the Everyman sets created this!

In fact I do think the coin is MS and probably why it took 5 tries to get a +!

@Insider2 said:
    Unless there is a lot of gray, rubbed, surface on the face (not seen in image except perhaps the chin), I'd send it to another service, coins this nice are generally graded MS-62 at the minimum.

I'd like to also acknowledge that I am no numismatic Carnac the Magnificent with respect to grading this coin. I simply know that amwldcoin has an eye for AU58+ Barber half dollars and was using that to base my grade on the coin.

No, I have not tried to buy a 58+ Barber Half that looks like an MS-63 and should be priced accordingly.

@Insider2 said:
    No, I have not tried to buy a 58+ Barber Half that looks like an MS-63 and should be priced accordingly.

If I recall correctly, and I might not, there was an AU58+ 1909 Barber half dollar that sold at auction in the last year or two and went for over MS65 money. That niche of the market is going gangbusters right now, though who knows down the road.

Tom...I wish that was the case! I have a couple dozen that IMHO should +! My experience with making +'s as long as you are sending in nice coins is just like putting your dollars in a 1 armed Bandit and pulling the lever! I was surprised I did make a + this time on the 1st try! My running average is close to 3 tries per +. :'(

@TomB said:
    I'd like to also acknowledge that I am no numismatic Carnac the Magnificent with respect to grading this coin. I simply know that amwldcoin has an eye for AU58+ Barber half dollars and was using that to base my grade on the coin.

• seduloussedulous Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 21, 2017 11:44AM

I can see scores of collectors out there briefly rubbing their 63 and 64's hoping to INCREASE the value of their coins. Ugghhh. Madness, all madness I say.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Very nice coin!

EAC, ANA Member
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

I frankly could care less what the slab says, the coin says all I need to know - it is lovely.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

If I remember correctly this one took 4 tries:

• ECHOESECHOES Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful! :#

~HABE FIDUCIAM IN DOMINO III V VI / III XVI~
    POST NUBILA PHOEBUS / AFTER CLOUDS, SUN
    Love for Music / Collector of Dreck
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one beautiful piece

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

I submitted this one for a plus grade once, was rejected, so I gave up:

_ decided I don't want to play the + game for BIG dollars.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great looking coin. :+1::+1:

Congrats on getting the plus.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • oldgoldloveroldgoldlover Posts: 429 ✭✭✭

The harder you work the luckier you get. Why is it the TPGs have such a hard time with consistent grading? They talk about themselves as if they had it down to a science. The $20 1855 O I posted was in a 55 holder in the late 80s and the owner cracked it out for a re-grade. Came back a 53 but if you compare it to the 50 O that was posted with it the 55 O is a superior coin. The 50 O is graded a 55 . I am not going to pay the money for a possible upgrade on the 55 O as the coin is what it is and I do not plan on letting it go.

All of the above coins are very nice pieces and i appreciate you guys sharing them.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those are beautiful coins... Bright and not tarnished, with luster. I do not understand the fascination with this grade, but then, I am not a grade chaser. I would gladly own either one of those two, even without the slab. Thanks for showing them.... now, today I will be going to a farmers market, this one is a bit out of the way. There is also an antique shop near there.... perhaps they will have a coin like those... sure, it will be overpriced, they always are when in antique shops... but if there is a good one, it will come home with me. ;) Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file