Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let's go! I just recently bought a Suburu Outback and many say they are made for that country!

Wish they had said what dates the gallons of dimes were. If they were 07-D's then that would seal the deal!

@JeffMTampa said:
    OK, a weak attempt at humor........

Here's the story:

The lost dimes of the Denver mint.

A History Of Mystery AHistoryOfMystery.com Unexplained Treasure Lost Dimes Denver MintThe story of the lost dimes started in 1907, when a wagon train, carrying six barrels of dimes, left the Denver mint in Denver Colorado and headed for Phoenix, AZ. Unfortunately, the wagons never made it to their destination.

The wagons were carrying six barrels, which contained a total of 5,000 coins. They were known as the “Barber dimes”, after their designer Charles Barber. The wagons, drivers and everyone else disappeared somewhere between Denver, CO and Montrose, CO. Over a century later, and the coins have still not be found. There are two credible theories as to what happened to the lost dimes, but neither have been proven, and after 100 years of the unexplained story, there’s little hope the truth will be found, unless of course someone was to make a discovery.

The first theory on what happened to the lost dimes is that the wagon carrying said coins was attacked by bandits. The wagon’s route from the Denver mint to Phoenix, AZ included many dirt tracks, mountain roads, and uninhabited areas in which the bandits would have been able to relive the Denver mint employees of their delivery. If this theory was true, it’s possible the case of the lost dimes will never be solved.

A History Of Mystery AHistoryOfMystery.com Unexplained Treasure Lost Dimes Denver MintThe second theory was that the wagon plummeted off a mountain road in Colorado, the north rim of Black Canyon to be precise. The north rim is accessible by gravel roads from Crawford State Park. The North Rim Road provides access to six overlooks in total. The North Rim’s canyon walls are almost vertical and offer some of the most impressive views found in the national park.

Over the years, investigations have been conducted, but they just lead to more questions.

Treasure hunters and enthusiasts took to the trails, one managed to locate remains of four wagons used to transport the dimes, which was at the base of a canyon. This gives the second theory on the lost dimes far more likeliness of being true. Whats more, the treasure seekers found several gallons of dimes along the Gunnison River, which is close to the north rim of Black Canyon. However, the “find” was only a tiny portion of what was lost all those years ago. It is said that a single one of the lost dimes in excellent condition is worth in excess of $600. Multiply that by 5,000, and you have a pretty good pay day. There are potentially millions of dollars of lost coins scattered somewhere around the Black Canyon area. The lost dimes are still out there for anyone daring enough to hit the trails and search for them.

Who's up for a road trip???

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2, 2017 1:13PM

@paesan said:
    Has anyone ever heard the story of the lost wagon that was carrying 07-D coins from Denver to points West? Rumor is it went over a cliff and was never found?

Yes - its a well known rumor. I do not believe any of these 1907-D Dimes were ever recovered.

EDIT: I spoke too soon...before I read Darrell's message.
    ...and no, Darrell, I have no real desire to go trapsing around
    some old river bed.

case in point....ex: TCP Collection:

1907-D PC 55 - TCP photo 1907-DDimePCGSAU55OBV_zps08ad8603.jpg

1907-D PC 55 TCP photo 1907-DDimePCGSAU55REV_zps6e686bfd.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:
    I wish I had the time and energy to sift through all 5000+ amazing posts in this thread as well as parts 1 and 2 of it........

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/981853/1892-barber-quarter-fs-101-with-type-1-reverse#latest

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/981855/1904-barber-quarter-rpd#latest

If any of you Barber experts could weigh in on either of these, I'd appreciate it.

WEIGH IN

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember reading the dimes were all scattered down along a rocky mountainside near a bridge or pass... bring mountain climbing gear and a metal detector. Anyone have sleuthing skills? I will be in CO the second week of August.

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options

Mike! Even if several of the Holy Grail's of us Barber collectors might be found? ;)

@MFH said:

@paesan said:
    Has anyone ever heard the story of the lost wagon that was carrying 07-D coins from Denver to points West? Rumor is it went over a cliff and was never found?

Yes - its a well known rumor. I do not believe any of these 1907-D Dimes were ever recovered.

EDIT: I spoke too soon...before I read Darrell's message.
    ...and no, Darrell, I have no real desire to go trapsing around
    some old river bed.

case in point....ex: TCP Collection:

1907-D PC 55 - TCP photo 1907-DDimePCGSAU55OBV_zps08ad8603.jpg

1907-D PC 55 TCP photo 1907-DDimePCGSAU55REV_zps6e686bfd.jpg

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

That must have been before these new generation holders!

More coins, less government.
  • Options

I would imagine that six barrels would hold a lot more than 50,000 dimes.

• Options

Or 5,000.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭✭✭

I picked up another dime for my Barber Everyman set this week to fill an empty slot, an 1892 S PCGS XF 40:

Nothing grand, but it beats the heck out of looking at an empty hole in the virtual album.

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options

I also picked up a raw UNC looking 1908 Barber Quarter:

There are hairlines going all over the place in the fields, but none of them flow into the devices. I believe they're all from die polishing; they look raised to me. I wonder what our hosts would say, however? I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the coin and risk sending it in to our hosts or just send it back. Thoughts?

Also, this coin appears to have a re-punched date (In the 8 and maybe the 1), but it's quite minor.

• Options

Jeff... No doubt about it....those are die polish lines.
    Attractive Quarter - the fingerprinted Dime - not so much, IMHO

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I like 'em both but thats the Barber nut speaking out from inside of me too. Grade-wise on the '92-S it seems a bit generous but for the date at that circulation level, it would be a nice add for sure to any mid-grade collection. Nice.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff
    JMHO. Send back the 08 quarter. Die polish lines may be part of the looks, but I also see some hits. Just not attractive to me. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but don't think it will holder

• Options

Don't listen to him, Jeff. Anything you send in gets graded!

• Options

Jeff
    Good luck either way buddy. Hope it grades if you submit it

• Options

Seriously, I think it'll grade ms-62. I think the 92-S should have more detail on the word Liberty and the band to get an XF -40 grade.

Paesan

• Options

I received a Regular raw submission back from PCGS today. It took 11 business days to grade; I was quite surprised! Five of the six coins graded; an AU '01 S came back in a bag as "scratched"- I could hardly see it. Lenny, I do loose some. Two of the raw dimes that were submitted were an 1895 and an 1895 S.

The 1895 came back in a XF 45 holder:

The 1895 S came back in an AU 58 holder:

Ya, I know it was dipped by someone (not me) but I still like it.

• Options

Jeff
    Love the 95 plain. That's a beauty
    Jim

• Options

Another Barber dime pick-up from the wild. Mid-grade '07-S with a little bit more tone on the reverse compared to the obverse:

• Options

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:
    Is that doubling below the ear, lip and chin as seen on the 1895 S?

Fantastic photographs.

Did you take them and with what?

Thanks for the compliments on the photos. I use a Canon 50D body with a Sigma 150 Macro lens mounted on a Kaiser copy stand.

As you point out there is doubling visible left of the ear and below the chin. I'm not sure what to make of it?

• Options

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:

@paesan said:
    I would imagine that six barrels would hold a lot more than 50,000 dimes.

I'd say 500 bucks worth of dimes wouldn't fill a 5 gallon bucket.

Perhaps the barrels were attached to St. Bernards under their neck?

• Options

@CoinsAndMoreCoins said:
    roughly, 1,050 bucks face per gallon of dimes
    26.25 gallons in a dry barrel
    a dry barrel would hold more like $27,500 or more than a quarter million dimes.

so ignoring the poster's preface about his "story" being an attempt at humor........ I'm calling BS! :smile:

I posted the story; I found it online. My "attempt at humor" was in regard to the previous post (NGC holdered coins that PCGS wouldn't).

CoinsAndMoreCoins, you're discovering a very interesting feature of the Barber series; all sorts of varieties with little interest or value. The basic issue is there are so few Barber collectors in the first place that semi-rare to rare varieties are not difficult to find and usually don't carry much premium. If there were more collectors that would change. Barbers are a LOT of fun to both collect and look for varieties!

• Options

Here's another one of my raw submissions back from the grading room yesterday, an 1895 O Quarter now in an AU 53 holder:

This is the 3rd 'raw 95 O Quarter I've had graded this year. The last one came back as an AU 50:

The new one has the mintmark centered between the R and the D. The AU 50 has the mintmark directly above the D in DOLLAR. Does anyone collect these by mintmark position? Since PCGS doesn't acknowledge the MM location as a variety maybe there's really no interest?

• Options

Here's the other raw Barber Quarter I sent, a 1901 O that came back in a XF 45 holder:

Tougher date.

• Options

Jeff...Love the 01-O Quarter - nice for the grade too. I'm sure everyone knows how scarce
    this date is. The AU 58 in my set [ ex: HA.com - from January 2016 ] cost me much more than
    I am willing to admit to !

Ok... I received my CD from Messydesk - and I have 52 V Nickels in assorted grades to display.
    Its been so long since I've added new images - I almost forgot how !

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/981990/images-of-my-newer-v-nickels-fun-january-2017-to-today/p1?new=1

Started a new Thread on my V Nickels - John Baumgart sent me the CD yesterday.
    I'm only half way done getting the images up.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Here's another one of my raw submissions that came back over the weekent, a 1907 Barber Dime now in a Pr 63 holder:

This is my sole Proof Barber Dime.

• Options

Jeff,
    You're doing an amazing job with your submissions!

• Options

Lenny and Jim, here's a warning- you may want to put on sunglasses for the below coin post- I don't want it to hurt your eyes........

Here's the last of my recent raw submission that came back from our hosts on Saturday, a 1907 D Half now in a MS 61 holder:

I thought it would come back in a 62/ 63 holder, but at least it graded. Yes, I know this was dipped previously, but not by me.

• Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭✭

Live look-in at Jim....

• Options

I certainly appreciated Jeff's warning. Seriously though. If they grade it MS why 61???? Oh well, back to the dark side where it all makes sense.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

CoinsandMore - I bet you'll do well in your search for varieties. Whether they'll ever catch on like VAMs is another thing (this from a non-variety collector).

Jeff - You have the magic tough with our hosts.

Mike - Lots of nice Nicks on your seperate thread.

Pics for this PM, this beauty just journeyed south to join the Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

It would be nice if there was a repository for coin photos for date/ mm. The photos I post here are about 1/3 their native size; just think of all the detail that drops. Although Vern and I are "into" coin photography, I don't recall others into it. Many others do have their coins photographed by friends or professionally, and many who aren't "into" coin photography do a darn good job with their photos.

I'll bring the idea of a coin photo library up to the BCCS; n this day and age storage spce really shouldn't be an issue. It shouldn't be much of a task to administer, and even if there are only a few photos of each coin at the start an amazing library can be built through time. It certainly could be a great way to study the series!

Personally I don't think we want to break up the thread into denominations; it's hard enough as-is to keep this thread from getting buried some days.

• Options

Vern, any desire to trade '01 O Quarters? Mine has a little more crust on it and looks like it's seen an active vibrent role in commerce. Yours just looks like it sat around in a drawer for 100 years. Just sayin..........

• Options

Jeff...from what I gather from Verne's post is it went to Lenny!

@JeffMTampa said:
    Vern, any desire to trade '01 O Quarters? Mine has a little more crust on it and looks like it's seen an active vibrent role in commerce. Yours just looks like it sat around in a drawer for 100 years. Just sayin..........

• Options

Ah.... you may be correct. Lenny, the same offer applies to you.

• Options

Considering that there have been three Barber Mega Threads and its been a very long journey
    since the beginning - lots of ups and downs - like: Thread Sticking [ caused two Threads to get
    started { # 2 & 3 } ... but that problem seems to have been fixed.

If there were separate Threads for each denomination in the general Barber series - ie: Nickels,
    Dimes, Quarters and Halves - it would be too time consuming to get all posts in their necessary
    venue.

Try and gleen the info you need by reading the Mega Thread you should be all set. Who ever said obtaining info was an easy chore, work for it as we all do.

Newest images of my V Nickels are on a separate thread .... I didn't want to clog up the
    Mega Thread. My favorite toned Nickel...

photo 995c-0222-web_zps542jmbeh.jpg

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike, I suspect we've all gandered at your Nickel Tour. Amazing.

I made a sideways move in my Everyman Barber Half set. As you all know I'm in Darrels camp that I like my 58's to have lots of luster, but I do prefer them with a touch of toning as well. The 1909 AU 58 that I've had for years was a medium tan tone with muted luster; I think that would be the preferred look for most. I found a new one that fits into my preferred look:

A bright and shiny AU 58! Oooppsss..... I forgot to warn Jim and Lenny- sorry. I'll probably sell the other one.

• Options

You are funny Jeff! You must wear sunglasses at all times. To each his own my friend!!! I have a couple of newps that I will get posted soon. The greater Iowa/ Illinois/ Wisconsin group is meeting in a couple weeks. My coins are the lesser of the greater group

• Options

Wow Jeff, blazing luster.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2017 12:34PM

I have just started a Barber goal:
    Dime, Quarter, Half
    All 1907
    P, D, O, S
    All PCGS slabbed. All MS60 or better
    I guess you'd call it a Mint Mark Date Set. They will be additions to my Registry Set of types.

I'm new to the Barbers and love the great pix you have posted. On with the hunt.

• Options

Kudbegud- good luck with your hunting! The '07 S Half will cost more than a few cups of Starbucks, but the rest of the coins won't be too bad.

• Options

Here's my other 1909 AU 58 Half for comparison. No sunglasses needed:

I think it's a very nice coin, just not the look I prefer.

• Options

@JeffMTampa said:
    Kudbegud- good luck with your hunting! The '07 S Half will cost more than a few cups of Starbucks, but the rest of the coins won't be too bad.

Thanks Jeff
    You set a high goal from what you've posted. I hope some of my finds will meet your beauties.

• Options

Jeff
    That's more like it buddy. Pretty nice coin buddy. Hang on to it for future reference

• Options

Kudbegud
    Good luck. The 07-S half and quarter will provide a challenge. Welcome to the Barber Thread

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@JeffMTampa said:

Thanks Jeff
    You set a high goal from what you've posted. I hope some of my finds will meet your beauties.

Here are my '07 Halves for inspiration, all in PCGS AU 58 holders:

1907:

1907 D

1907 O:

1907 S:

• Options

@No Headlights said:
    Kudbegud
    Good luck. The 07-S half and quarter will provide a challenge. Welcome to the Barber Thread

I've made a list from the PCGS Price Guide. That half may end up under MS60 :'(

• Options

@Kudbegud said:

@No Headlights said:
    Kudbegud

I've made a list from the PCGS Price Guide. That half may end up under MS60 :'(

Way under. The price guide is way off on that one.

• Options

Does anybody know a good way to wipe drool off of your smartphone? It looks like my dog has gotten a hold of it and has been playing with it for an hour.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file