• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:
    I have just started a Barber goal:
    Dime, Quarter, Half
    All 1907
    P, D, O, S
    All PCGS slabbed. All MS60 or better
    I guess you'd call it a Mint Mark Date Set. They will be additions to my Registry Set of types.

I'm new to the Barbers and love the great pix you have posted. On with the hunt.

If you throw in an Indian Head Cent and Liberty Nickel you'll have a Mint Set!

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    seduloussedulous Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gold would really round it out

A Barber Quartet is made up of Nickels, Dimes, Quarters, and Halves.

• Options
    KudbegudKudbegud Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffMTampa said:

@Kudbegud said:
    I have just started a Barber goal:
    Dime, Quarter, Half
    All 1907
    P, D, O, S
    All PCGS slabbed. All MS60 or better
    I guess you'd call it a Mint Mark Date Set. They will be additions to my Registry Set of types.

I'm new to the Barbers and love the great pix you have posted. On with the hunt.

If you throw in an Indian Head Cent and Liberty Nickel you'll have a Mint Set!

I like your thinking

• Options

@sedulous said:
    Gold would really round it out

Take it to the next level....I like it !

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just bring the big boy checkbook

• Options

@No Headlights said:

The petty cash one?

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed something interesting in the POP Reports the other day. I regularly check the Barber Half numbers. The Pop's almost hit 40,000...was at 39,999 and then it dropped! Someone must have turned in some labels from crackouts!

• Options

Darrell-

The prices on the Barbers have been dropping so hard that people have begun cracking them out for melt.

• Options

Seems a good time to add a few key dates.

• Options

@No Headlights said:
    Seems a good time to add a few key dates.

If you can find them. Most people are holding better material off the market.

• Options

Always hard to find buddy. But they are out there. Really need tohave a relationship with as many good high volume dealers as possible. As you know the fun is in the hunt. You are the internet expert Jeff!!! You find them when others (Me!) don't Have a great day

• Options
    edited June 7, 2017 1:42PM

@Kudbegud said:

@No Headlights said:

The petty cash one?

No, Just Jim's checkbook will do... maybe he has some extra mula from the profit he makes off of his knack for cherrypicking some of the coolest coins on the planet! (just friendly jesting)

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff, Vern sent me the 01-O in 58 as part of a trade. It will stay in my core collection. As you probably know, a large percentage of The Stash is fluid, and trades are always welcome and interesting.

That said, that 01-O that you just made is pretty nice, and an AU that is appealing is a tall order. It's certainly one of the conditional rarities of the set. Good luck!

More coins, less government.
  • Options

My first Barber towards my goal

• Options

If your collection is fluid...how about trying for a few 58+ Barber Half's from your stash and extorting me! :p > @paesan said:

Jeff, Vern sent me the 01-O in 58 as part of a trade. It will stay in my core collection. As you probably know, a large percentage of The Stash is fluid, and trades are always welcome and interesting.

That said, that 01-O that you just made is pretty nice, and an AU that is appealing is a tall order. It's certainly one of the conditional rarities of the set. Good luck!

• Options

Looks nice! 1 down and how many to go?

@Kudbegud said:

• Options

Lenny- I don't know what you had to give for the beautiful '01 O 25C, but she's a beauty. OK, mine is a meager XF 45, but my role is to make you look good.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Looks nice! 1 down and how many to go?

11 LOL
    I'm going for a 1907 Mint Mark Set....P, D, O, S.

• Options

Lenny
    Our group is getting together soon. I'm anxious to see what you sent North to Vern. Ready for the fishing trip next Summer?
    Jim

• Options

Darrell, My fluid collection of Barber Halves is down to a box of 20 of my favorites. There may be 5 58s in there. They should all plus in my biased opinion, but I won't give money to have my coins rejected.

Maybe someday when I have big bank I'll send in my quarters and I'll throw in those halves for plus grades, but I'd rather buy coins than feed the monster.

Jeff, an 01-O in XF 45 is still a tough coin and no easy find. In ten years I've had only two 01-Os in AU that I liked. Thanks for making me look good!

Jim, Summer of '18 I'm all in!

• Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Kudbegud said:

You know, you can look this up via the QR code on the reverse.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options

Sshhhh..... he doesn't want anyone to know it's holder #52146638.

• Options

Caught....HAHAHA Is my face red.

• Options

Lenny
    Got a spot saved for you. Maybe we could get the Barber group together when you come up.

• Options

Over at the "PCGS Set Registry Forum" a thread has been started for voting on the best digital albums for 2017. My Liberty Nickel album was nominated and is up for voting. Here's my 1889 5C in a MS 64 holder:

Sorry for the horn toot. There's serious competition for the award; some amazing looking coins. My meager set doesn't stand a chance, but it's at least nice to see my photographic skills recognized. I find it hard to spend 5X the price for a MS 66 coin when a coin like this 64 looks so nice (to me).

• Options

Jeff, Congrats on the nomination and good luck!

• Options

What's interesting is the criteria listed for selection of the 10 sets is completion, quality of photographs, and Owner comments. Most of the sets selected use Truvue images, not their own photos, so in essence Phil has been nominated many times over!

My mediocre set doesn't stand a chance. People are voting for the beautiful coins- mine can't compete.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff - Darn, if I'd only known of your interest in the 01-O qtr in 58. Congratulations on being nominated for best digital album. You have my vote.

Kudbegud - Welcome to the barber mega-thread, and good luck with your acquisitions.

Pics for this PM, newp into my collection, just recd yesterday, Thanks again Mike. PC45:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Vern
    That is a wonderful coin. So many 01-O halves have strike issues. Nice problem free original surfaces. Bet it looks great next to your 01-S. congrats
    Jim

• Options

barberkeys
    Thanks for the welcome. I'm seeing the beauty of these classic designs. I'm on the hunt.

• Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Jeff,

It's goes without saying how well you've done in assembling your V Nickel collection.
    Although you "hit the nail on the head" with your comment about you're being stacked
    up against some amazing collections .... I'm very happy for you just being nominated. It's
    quite an honor.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Thanks Mike!

• Options

Vern, The 01-O half is gorgeous! Mike, very good purchase to get that one when you had the opportunity.
    Paesan

• Options
    edited June 10, 2017 10:21AM

I have always liked that 01-O, as a matter of fact, I really wasn't planning on getting rid of it.
    It's about the nicest 45 I have seen of that date and I looked long and hard to,locate one as
    nice that would slide into my last Half Collection. I sold two other Halves and I hadn't planned on selling those either as they are Bears to locate. I sold my 01-S in 53 to NoHeadlights along
    with ( what I consider THE most under appreciated date: ) 1905-O in PCGS 45 CAC .

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike
    Really like both coins. Thanks again
    FYI. Anyone interested in my 01-S in 40 let me know
    Jim

• Options

Mike! Did ya get 2K or more on the 05-O like ya did from Barberfanatic for the XF-40 years ago? Trying to get a grip on the market!

• Options

Darrell- if you don't have a good pulse on the market I'm worried.

• Options

Selling in this market can cause some indigestion. Buying is still fun. Market in a nutshell
    The worm is always turning though

• Options

The only Barbers I've been selling are at a big loss. I'm holding off offering them for now.

Here's one of my favorite Liberty Nickels:

Not a lot of color, but it has a good strike and a nice look.

• Options

Nice V Jeff
    Hoping my schedule works for Denver.
    Always love the ANA. Might be a Barber bargain or two waiting for me. Plus the scenery is worth the trip

• Options

Gorgeous V nickel Jeff. A nice, good-looking semi-key V nickel choice BU is all that stands between me and my 20th Century Type completion. Good job!

• Options

I got tired of looking at empty holes in my Barber Dime and Quarter sets, so I picked up some graded "place holder" coins to fill the slots until I can find a decent AU coin. One was a '13 S Dime in a PC VF 25 holder:

The coin arrived last week but the slot is still empty in my set. A previous owner of this coin had it in their Registry Set and forgot to remove it when sold. I sent an email last week requesting removal, but still no action. Now I need to send photos of the slab to PCGS so they'll remove it and let me put it in my set.

If anyone reading this sells spare slabbed coins from their Registry Set PLEASE remember to remove the coin from your inventory when selling. Just replacing the coin in your set with another DOESN"T remove the unused coin from your inventory. End of rant.

• Options
    edited June 11, 2017 11:39AM

I try to rarely or never sell so I can avoid this problem. This method of collecting does present a different issue: more complex management of inventory and duplicates... not mentioning funding. I do sell, but I try to be more patient to get the right price points. It is a sore point for anyone when it does happen Jeff... I hope you can quickly get it resolved!

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Mike! Did ya get 2K or more on the 05-O like ya did from Barberfanatic for the XF-40 years ago? Trying to get a grip on the market!

Darrell....that info is private...if Jim wants to divulge the info,
    that's up to him.

Plus, I'm not so sure my older 05-O in XF sold for $2000 ( +/ - ). If Cary wants to pipe up,
    I'd be happy to hear from him. I remember the transaction as if it was yesterday. If I'm not
    mistaken, Cary also bought an XF 1901-S.

Jeff... I have experienced that problem often. Since I have been active in the Dime and
    Nickel sets, more than 50% of my newps can't be registered - in my mid grade (58 set)
    and because of the amount of dupes I have ( many in the same grade ) I have been too busy
    to complain. I just realized that the small cashe of AU 58 Dimes I bought from Stacks last
    Fall in Baltimore are still not in my sets. I just sent out Removal Requests for eight Dimes.

At least, now, we don't have to maintain two Registries. My NGC sets are sitting stagnet,
    as we're no longer able to add PCGS coins. Then again, if you are still using NGC Registry
    for maintaining your inventory - ie: NGC graded coins - then there is no reason to ask for
    and deletion of a PCGS coin - any longer.

Hey, even though, I'm well aware of cert removals, I had to be reminded by Barber Keys
    about the 01-O I sold him. Because No Headlights and I worked out our transaction a few days
    before Barber Keys and I had, I eliminated my sold material from my Registry Sets at PCGS ...
    also removed some other Barber Quarters I sold off ( lower end duplicates ) .

Jeff: Regardless of what you thought of your 13-S Dime - it's a very tough date - it's been
    hoarded for ever - soon after its released in 1913. I have a nice enough AU 55 - and have been
    searching for an AU 58. I know of older collectors who have rolls of them in almost every
    conceivable grade .... I bet, even Darrell has a few stashed away for a rainy day.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike- I agree that the '13 S Dime is tough to find. I've been looking for about a year now and all that seems available are AG/ G raw coins, damaged or cleaned coins, and an occasional VG graded coin. I thought the VF 25 I purchased looked nice except for the minor damage on "One Dime" (reverse).

Perhaps someday I'll come across a nicer one.

• Options

Nothing wrong with the VF Dime, Jeff. Its very nice for the grade - IMHO !!

The older I get - the less patience I have. I've been going nuts trying to work on
    the Digital Album.... it seems so easy - but - they trick you into a false sense of
    security.

I'll attack it again - trying to get my V Nickel Proofs into an album... :s

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Mike
    I think we will keep Darrell guessing!
    I bet he will be able to get a grip eventually. But I would suggest if your stuff isn't moving lowering your prices might be a logical move.
    Thanks again Mike. Always great dealing with you

• Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

Nor will I divulge, Mike... except to say that I bought both coins (1905-O and 1901-S) from Mike for a combined price that was somewhere between $1.00 and $100,000.00.

My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.
  • Options

Cary,
    What a coincidence. My purchase fits in the same price range! Two tough halves. The 05-O is very difficult in problem-free. I have a very nice 50, but couldn't resist picking up Mike's 45 also. What grade were your coins?

• Options

I'm doing fine selling.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file