Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #3

Stooge started this thread with #1 & #2. I think its time to start a Roosie Talk Thread #3.
Thread #1
Thread #2

The 1956D X-JHF MS67FB dime that recently sold at Auction for around $235 with juice, Was then up-graded to MS68FB (and deserving so) just hammered for $7637 with juice. That was a pretty nice score for someone. I'm convinced it was a REAL bid. More than one person wanted this coin real bad. I believe there were 3 bidders from $4400 - $6500. This is a real positive for the Roosie market and may signal a bottom. I now also believe there are at least 3 strong players for properly graded top pop Roosies. I will be adjusting my price guide upwards. I actually started adjusting it upwards just after the 1964D MS68FB sold. I would bet that if the 1964D MS68FB was put up for resale today the owner would realize a 40% - 50% profit.

Onlyroosies

Comments

• rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Every coin I buy costs way over sheet, but I'm buying "properly graded" or better coins.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • labloverlablover Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, a great score for someone!!! And, good news for the depressed Roosie market.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always hard to predict the bottom. So, if the bottom of the market was the Summer when I sold the 64-D, that would be welcome news to the collectors invested in these coins. And, welcome news to me too as I still have a handful of 68FB dimes left to sell. It's generally not a bad idea to stagger ones offerings to get a nice blend of the high and low market conditions for the sales. Not to mention upgrade advantages.

In a series I am collecting, I recently bought a coin back for 20 cents on the dollar from where I sold the same coin a couple years ago. A near $20,000 coin down to under $4000. How sweet is that! Helps you forget about the big losses in your collection. image

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭
    Do you think the winning bidder of the '56-D Dime is aware that his newp "recently sold for $235" in the past????
    In all fairness, I think that 56-D fetched close to a couple thousand dollars back in 2009 when I sold it for JHF. That dime should have never fetched $235... it simply fell through the cracks. I've seen that happening at a number of the auction houses this year from time to time. Great bargains for the advanced collector/investor/upgrader.

Wondercoin
    Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 15, 2016 11:28AM
    I did not win the coin, But I did bid on it. I use to own the coin so I know the coin well. I have no problem with the coin in the current MS68FB holder (based on todays grading standers). Like Mitch said, I believe the coin fell through the cracks. I missed the auction or I never would have let it go for $235. I would have had no problem paying up to $5K for the coin today even knowing what the owner paid for it. I've been on that side many times. I paid $35 for a raw 1955D Roosie off ebay many years ago. When I finally submitted it to PCGS it graded MS68FB pop 1/0. I believe I sold it for right around $7K. I don't believe the higher pop or more common dates in MS68FB would bring strong money. Once a date gets over a pop 3 in 68FB it becomes common for the date. going forward we will see a large price gap for various dates in MS68FB. I would say from a low of $1200 for a 46S 68FB to a high of maybe $9K for the 49P 68FB. 10 years ago there were so few MS68FB's graded that when one came on the market it was scooped up no matter the date. back then the range was between $5K - $7K.

I say the summer was the bottom for low pop and top pop correctly graded (even at todays standards) coins. High pop, Common date low pop and severely over graded coins will stay on the bottom.
    Forgot to add one thing. Pretty dimes Jim.
    Nick. It is nice to see your public offers at much higher prices than at the beginning of the Summer. But, why didn't you just try to win the pop 1/0 64-D at auction this Summer when you had the chance at $4,000-$4,500 all in? You are the author of your Price Guide ... was it simply that you did not see the "turnaround" coming? For what it is worth, I see no such "turnaround" for the other similar series... Prices for Lincolns, Jeffersons, Washington Quarters, Franklins, Ikes, etc. all appear to continue to get weaker and weaker. Like I mentioned above, I just gobbled up a near $20,000 coin of just a few short years ago for under $4,000. If anyone has contrary information on those series, please post it here as I think it is relevant.

And, I upgraded a fellow board members silver quarter earlier this year to a pop 1 MS67+. When did + grading start again Nick? So, it took all that time to make the pop 1 MS67+ Coin. Before I could even finalize the deal for me to purchase this board members coin (which I did) for my personal collection, the coin became pop 2, 3, 4 and then 5!! I then dusted off just one of my many specimens from my collection that had not seen PCGS for a couple years and that went MS67+ the first time through (and I was told PCGS was grading very tight at the show from a reliable source for what that's worth). Now, I own two of the pop 6/0 coin and have my best MS67 coin(s) yet to resubmit. Yippie!

As always, just my two cents.

Wondercoin
    I did not see it coming that soon. Some of the other series pops have exploded far more than the Roosies. What was the pop of the $20K coin then and what is the pop now. You won the coin because it's no longer a $20K coin. I just won a 1963D MS67FB Roosie for $235. This date once sold for over $3K. It's not and never will be a $3K coin again. I should have bought the 64D at auction, but at that time I did not value it any higher than $3500 and I was only willing to pay below value. Today I am willing to pay above value. A lot of this is timing. Maybe in a couple months I will be tooting a different horn. Lets see if anyone takes me up on my offers above. The first coins to pop off the bottom will be the High grade top pops. For roosies that will be the pop 3/0 or better dates. I also reserve the right to pull my offers above at anytime. If you see them they are good.

Onlyroosies
    You are 100% correct Nick. What was a $20,000 coin (in my case) is not now due to a higher pop and likely never will be again (unless our dollar tanks big time).

And, our discussion applies to Classics as well. I just picked up a nice MS67+ Classic Commem "for peanuts" compared to what the coin would have fetched just a few years ago. The spread today is roughly $650 or $700 for MS67 and $20,000 to $25,000 for MS68 on this particular coin. What is there not to like at $1,325 for the MS67+ grade now!

Wondercoin.
  • StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: AllCoinsRule
    I paid $3800 for my JHF 67fb 63-d. Is it an ms68fb now? Who knows. I don't care to pay pcgs $65 to find out. I also don't like having a registry set open where my favorite most spectacular coins are all now just common high pop coins.

I think you need to give this a second thought. Unfortunately, playing the upgrade game is routine around here given the Gradeflation issue. You can either just sit on your collection, or take your spectacular coins and upgrade some of them and make it truly spectacular. Again its very unfortunate that this is necessary, but it is what it is.

Nick, thanks for hijacking my thread theme. imageimage I was actually going to start a #3 at the start of the year, but you beat me to it. Could you at least edit your 1st post and put a link to the other 2 threads....Thanks. image

Later, Paul.
    Originally posted by: AllCoinsRule
    I paid $3800 for my JHF 67fb 63-d. Is it an ms68fb now? Who knows. I don't care to pay pcgs $65 to find out. I also don't like having a registry set open where my favorite most spectacular coins are all now just common high pop coins.

The only way to know for sure is send it back to PCGS. I know the coin well. I use to own it. I would bet it would re-grade MS67+FB. If you sell the coin or consign it to an auction and the right dealer bought it then it would re-grade MS68FB.
    I would bet it would re-grade MS67+FB.

If you sell the coin or consign it to an auction and the right dealer bought it then it would re-grade MS68FB.

Nick,

So, it's true...the "right dealer" gets the upgrades? Not just any Joe on the street can score? I'm certain that's not what you are saying, correct?
    Correct
    Roosies heating up just in time for FUN...just the way it should be!!! I have an idea. Everyone bring your box of 20 prettiest roosies to the show and we can compare whose is bigger, I mean better.??
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    Jaime,

You have an insane collection of 1950-date coins and I have looked at your set more than a few times. What you do with it is up to you of course, but I was trying to say that it might be a good idea to take a few of them and attempt to get them upgraded. I apologize if I upset you.

I had a thought come across my brain last night. Wondercoin has no issue with getting upgrades, so my idea is what if you send him a box of 20 and had him preview them. Maybe he and Nick can meet over dinner and together preview them. Always good to get a 2nd and 3rd opinion, and that way maybe you will have some luck.

BTW, I have never had a coin upgrade. I have sent in 3 total and also found it to be a chore. When time and $$$ collide, I'm planning a trip to sunny California for a crash course/master class on upgrading from both of them. Maybe sometime next summer, that is if S.C. doesn't have their Earthquake!

Later, Paul.
  • david3142david3142 Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The word/picture ratio of this third thread is too high! Here's my only registry-worthy dime:

NGC 68*FT

Can I resubmit to get a plus too? image
    Nick,
    Would David's 54S cross?

Bill, You know David's coin well. weren't you going to purchase it. David stepped in
    and scooped it up. How do you remember the coin? I always felt and still do that David's
    54S is the best on the planet.

Different photo that I do recognize. I remember that you loved that coin. This is very nice!
    Nick told me that the PCGS-MS68 he sold me (1954-S) was the best on the planet image.

Wondercoin
    Don't worry Mitch, I have no intention of crossing. I like my star, and I don't want to have a Pop 2.
    Wondercoin,
    Like you ever believe anything Nick tells you....??
    RR: image

Wondercoin
    David, I don't want to have a pop 2 either, So please don't sent yours to PC for cross. When I owned it I didn't sent it for cross for the same reason. I didn't want my PC 68FB to become pop 2.

Mitch, Your 54S still is the best on the planet for a non-FB coin. To be fair neither David's nor my 54S existed at that time. So I guess I should change my statement to say. At this time, on this day of 2016 to the best of my knowledge David's NGC 1954S MS68*FT is the best on the planet. It even surpasses Mitch's PC 1954S MS68 and my PC MS68FB. At the time Mitch acquired his 1954S MS68 it was (to the best of my knowledge) the best on the planet.

Thanks Nick. A plausible answer to all this is also that David's coin is from Mars and your from Venus. Lol.

I'm still trying to make that MS68+FB 47-S. I am sitting here with (3) MS68FB coins! I really enjoyed looking at them today.

Wondercoin
    Boy, this thread sure makes me feel all warm and fuzzy about owning that coin! image

Unfortunately, since these are not my primary series, that's pretty much all I've got. I do have two complete sets of raw Roosies though. One of the albums has some beautifully toned examples too!
  • CoppercolorCoppercolor Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭
    edited October 13, 2016 7:43PM
    David,
    How are you imaging your coins? I know for a fact that your lincolns are UNDERstated, and now by reading this thread I'd say your 54S roosie suffers this fate as well. I think you need to pour more light on them cause man do you have amazing examples of each series and we all want to drink them up.
    I'd like my copper well done please!
    I will second the comment on how the coins are imaged. Honestly, I did not recognize the 54s from your photo.
    Thanks for the kind words, Jeff. My current setup is pretty involved. I put the coin on my kitchen counter, turn on the under-cabinet lighting and take a picture with my phone. image I do sincerely try to get good images (and I thought most of them were ok) but I have an especially hard time with the clad coins.
    David,
    Your coins are monsters. While it's an honorable thing not to overdo your imaging, and your images are good, but they leave me wondering how amazing some of your coins are. You'll have to bring them to lunch I suppose image
    J
    David,
    Your coins are monsters. While it's an honorable thing not to overdo your imaging, and your images are good, but they leave me wondering how amazing some of your coins are. You'll have to bring them to lunch I suppose image
    J
    Bring them to FUN!!??

First Roosies post on the new board.

Here's the best from my raw album.

Nice 51-S. Those are incredible well defined split bands.

Later, Paul.

Coronacoins, Emerald Coast, & Royal Roosies are becoming very serious Silver Roosie Dime sets real quick like. Emerald Coast has the makings of a #2 set for sure.

Later, Paul.

I am working with Emerald Coast. The goal is a top 3 set with sights on #2. It's nice to see a Collector coming into the series that isn't just focused on trying to grab the #1 spot because he can. He truly loves the series. Not looking to add pop 3/0 or better to the set. Money goes a lot further focusing on nice coins in the under grades.

I looked at Royal and he has a great start to a great set.

edited October 18, 2016 3:45PM

@onlyroosies said:
    I am working with Emerald Coast. The goal is a top 3 set with sights on #2. It's nice to see a Collector coming into the series that isn't just focused on trying to grab the #1 spot because he can. He truly loves the series. Not looking to add pop 3/0 or better to the set. **Money goes a lot further focusing on nice coins in the under grades. **

I looked at Royal and he has a great start to a great set.

Well he came to the right collector to help him with his goals. Good work Nick, and tell this guy I wish him the best with finishing his set.

BTW, If he were to upgrade his 1955 & 1964-D 66+FB's, I would like to buy them for a project I'm working on, so please pass this along...

Later, Paul.

54s and 57p are pretty.

Wow, that Emerald Coast has a nice set going!!!

Sounds like a great set of dimes. Can't wait to see them, so please post them here.

Welcome to the boards!!!

Later, Paul.

Yes I would love to see pics.

Show us Roosies!!!!!!!

Here is the last NGC crossover submission results I sent in for Emerald Coast. All 5 of his NGC silvers
    crossed. The 2016D is mine. I'll be sending in another submission for him next week. These were sent
    in under regular tier.

1948D MS67+FB
    1951S MS67+FB
    1951D MS67+FB
    1952 MS67FB
    1959 MS67FB
    1966 DNC
    2016D MS68FB