Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #3

Comments

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

Killer set Bill !!

Keep improving it and one day you may break into the top 40 ;)

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbowroosie said:
    I've been promising to TruView these for a while. Thanks to everyone who has helped me put this together, especially Nick and Greattoning. Pretty good eye appeal for the #44 ranked set. ;)

Even the #1 set won't have that sort of color!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

@AllCoinsRule said:
    So how does such color happen on a proof coin? From storage in an album? From the boxes they came in 1950-1955?

Yes...

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Several of these coins came from the cardboard black holders with the plastic windows and from the hard plastic five coin Capital holders. Just need fifty years and the right conditions to get great colors.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbowroosie said:
    I've been promising to TruView these for a while. Thanks to everyone who has helped me put this together, especially Nick and Greattoning. Pretty good eye appeal for the #44 ranked set. ;)

Beautiful set Bro. Very envious!!!

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@lablover said:

@Stooge said:

@onlyroosies said:
    I did score a nice up-grade for my set. See if you can figure out which coin got up-graded.

Going to guess your '59-D or 1 of the '64's?

My guess is your 48 went 68, or the 51D got the +.

Nick, we never heard what you got upgraded?

• Options

Wow, the Roosie Guy's must all be on vacation, this thread is dead...anyone out there?

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm out here, but not in the same League as you guys.

• Options

@lablover said:
    Wow, the Roosie Guy's must all be on vacation, this thread is dead...anyone out there?

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@lablover said:

What? We're all Bad News Bears...

• Options

Jim,
    Post a couple of cool photos. That always gets people going.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options

@AllCoinsRule said:
    Nick's upgrade is easy to spot. It's just another ms68fb of a date you wouldn't ever expect to exist that nice.

On the other hand I sold a duplicate ms67fb dime that I considered low end, never would have resubmitted to pcgs in a million years. Now I see it being auctioned as a 67+fb (it'll probably sell for 3x what I sold it for). It's going to be a very sad day if I submit the one I kept of that date and it does not upgrade. I'll just avoid the sadness by not resubmitting and also not registering any more coins.

It always seems to happen. I've lost count of the ones I missed on. Is it rigged?

• Options
    edited January 31, 2017 8:54PM

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@AllCoinsRule said:
    Nick's upgrade is easy to spot. It's just another ms68fb of a date you wouldn't ever expect to exist that nice.

On the other hand I sold a duplicate ms67fb dime that I considered low end, never would have resubmitted to pcgs in a million years. Now I see it being auctioned as a 67+fb (it'll probably sell for 3x what I sold it for). It's going to be a very sad day if I submit the one I kept of that date and it does not upgrade. I'll just avoid the sadness by not resubmitting and also not registering any more coins.

Any coin can upgrade or not and + or not. You could take a 67, 67+ and 68 and send them all in and get a different grade on each one. There is no discernable difference between the 3.

• Options

@Stooge said:

You just got to love those nice round split bands!

• Options
    edited February 1, 2017 6:10PM

@rainbowroosie said:
    Jim,
    Post a couple of cool photos. That always gets people going.

Here's one I'm not sure I've posted: MS67+

Or, how about this one: Another MS67+ (Came out of a ICG MS68 holder) Not the best of my images, but you get the idea.

• Options

Very nice.

• Options

I mean this seriously, if I send that coin in, it comes back 64. That will be some very expensive plastic. .... wonder if it would cross...

• Options
    BSABSA Posts: 50 ✭✭✭

I would give it a 66, on a good day, that reverse is just terrible! I don't mind the obverse so much, but I guess we can agree it's far from a 68 :p

• Options

I just picked this up tonight.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Hey Nick... Remember years and years ago you told me your "team" knew that those clad dimes never sold on Teletrade for World record prices and I assured you that they all did. :). Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

It just shows once again that nearly any registry set (with a lot of coins in it) can be overthrown as number 1 in a few years time (especially with the right dealer(s) assisting the collector in the pursuit).

Wondercoin

• Options

Very nice sets. The clad has the makings for a #2-#3 set after it's done.
    I knew the 1978 had been made in a 4FB. Was looking forward to seeing it on the market.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

@AllCoinsRule said:
    I think some of the JHF dimes that sold for high prices were to someone named Rhonda who has now decided to sell her coins and can't get anywhere near what she paid for them. Some have been on ebay for 1.5+ years. I did buy a few former JHF clad dimes for high but reasonable prices when she first posted them. She has a few more I'd like but we never came to agreements on price.

What seller on eBay are you referring too?

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited February 12, 2017 3:03PM

@AllCoinsRule said:
    Well, I may not use the term competition as loosely as Nick as the sets still look like they have a long long way to go to be anywhere Nick's level. I do not believe I see many JHF clad dimes in this set, I guess 84-d, not sure if any others. I wonder what the history is of the 66fb 91-d (which has a newish cert #)? That definitely is very cool! In any case that is one darn beautiful clad set and a super start to a silver set.

I think some of the JHF dimes that sold for high prices were to someone named Rhonda who has now decided to sell her coins and can't get anywhere near what she paid for them. Some have been on ebay for 1.5+ years. I did buy a few former JHF clad dimes for high but reasonable prices when she first posted them. She has a few more I'd like but we never came to agreements on price.

I actually made that 91D about 2 years ago out of a mint set, and the coin looks spectacular. It was originally in an NGC holder as a 66FT. I put it up on eBay after it crossed where it sold about 2 days later.

• Options

@MACGE1 said:
    I actually made that 91D about 2 years ago out of a mint set, and the coin looks spectacular. It was originally in an NGC holder as a 66FT. I put it up on eBay after it crossed where it sold about 2 days later.

I'm confused...

You made that 91D about 2yrs ago out of a mint set
    It was originally in an NGC holder

Can you please clarify...

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

@Stooge said:

@MACGE1 said:

I'm confused...

You made that 91D about 2yrs ago out of a mint set
    It was originally in an NGC holder

Can you please clarify...

I found the coin in a 1991 mint set, which I sent to NGC to get certified. It came back ms66FT, I then crossed the coin to Pcgs at the same grade. After that I put the coin up for sale on eBay.

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

Paul, I think he means he sent it raw to NGC where it graded 66FT and then crossed it.

Mitch, I don't see very many of those Teletrade clads in this set. Maybe a couple. I also never doubted your
    word that they did sell. PC sent me an e-mail last June stating my clad set with major varieties was un-beatable.
    that was at that time frame. new pop 1/0's would have to be made to beat my set. My silver set can be beat,
    I don't consider my main 46 - date set to have any challengers at this time taking over the #1 spot. I welcome
    new collectors to the series. The more collectors the fewer coins to go around.

• Options

I know you did not doubt me Nick, which is why I said your "team".

I had 20 pop 1 silver quarters in my set a few years ago and now I have 4. I have little doubt any MS clad dime set would be unbeatable over a five year horizon. The only question I would have is whether one of the "9 figure" or "10 figure" collectors I know would want to pursue the series seriously and spend the money on these dimes instead of something else. That may be a generation away from happening. Just my 2 cents. Wondercoin.

• Options

@wondercoin Congrats on 15,000 posts. That's a lot of "Hot air" B)

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Kind of fitting that my 15,000th post is "I know you did not doubt me Nick..." Lol

Wondercoin

• Options

Did anyone notice that the jnf1 clad set I posted is a closed set. Mitch I can open up all your closed sets. I just looked at Craig's closed wash set. He just added a 1950S MS68 pop 1/0

• Options

jnf1's clad set is open for me.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2017 9:53PM

It's open in the link I posted. If you go to the registry where it is listed it shows as closed. I locked it open in my link.
    https://pcgs.com/SetRegistry/half-dimes/roosevelt-dimes-major-sets/roosevelt-dimes-fb-major-varieties-circulation-strikes-1965-present/2017

• Options
    edited February 13, 2017 9:27AM

Yep,

• Options

@AllCoinsRule said:
    Wow, what a bad software glitch. I can do it too.

Ok, what's the secret, via PM?

• Options
    edited February 16, 2017 7:17PM

Ok, time for a picture.

Just got this one from PCGS grading...pulled it out of my raw set, being curious what it would grade. Other than the hit on the forehead it's as clean as they come. Now I'm wondering how many more like this I have in the raw set?

I had several more graded, and we'll post those over the next few nights.

PCGS MS67FB

• Options

The 58D is my favorite. I want it. Name your price

• Options

How about a photo of the 58d? I'll offer $63.52 sight unseen.

• Options
    edited February 17, 2017 9:41PM

Well, time for another image. This one is just your basic 1955-S MS67, but I love that Green Reverse!!! And, I think they should have + the coin. Although there is a bit of weakness in the strike. Still, clean as it can be.

PCGS MS67

• Options

@onlyroosies said:
    The 58D is my favorite. I want it. Name your price

@rainbowroosie said:
    How about a photo of the 58d? I'll offer $63.52 sight unseen.

Well, we're getting there...patience little grasshopper. :)

• Options

@Pokeplayer101 said:
    I really liked that one. Of the four you sent in, behind the 1958 D, that one is my favorite of the batch.

Gary, You have developed a great eye for toned roosies. And, I am enjoying the friendship!!!

• Options

Gary,
    Post your new 55s

• Options

I will bid $350 for the 58D 67+FB