Comments

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

I would like to see a reverse pic of the 58

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Nick,
    Is your icon the reverse of the 55s?

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2016 5:26PM

@rainbowroosie said:
    Nick,
    Is your icon the reverse of the 55s?

Billy,

Don't know if it's Nicks coin, but here's the image from CoinFacts. What an awesome Roosie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reminds me of that 1951-S I sold you years ago. Another awesome coin.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

Not my coin. I just love the reverse

• Options
    edited October 20, 2016 7:00PM

I wish it was your coin cause then it could be my coin! ;) I'd pay $$$

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin is an MS68 - what is your estimate of how much it's worth? I think it is amazing and would love to see it in person!

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can someone please explain to me why this dime is an MS68?

Yes it has amazing toning, but "In God We Trust" is really flat and the top of "Liberty" is flat and not struck well.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Surfaces are very clean, color is superb. It is a 68 not a 68FT.

• Options

As to what it is worth, depends on who you are. I'm NOT concerned about FT, so I likely value it more than a registry player. Color wise it would fit my set nicely.

• Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    Surfaces are very clean, color is superb. It is a 68 not a 68FT.

All of that said, it should be a 7+ at best. I think the strike is poor on the obverse.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    For $8K, it's all yours Bill! I can't imagine being able to tell the difference between 67+ and 68 from a picture. The surfaces do look exceptionally clean though.
  • Options

Paul, the reasons you state is why it's not an MS68+. I grade the coin MS68. I agree technically it's at best
    67+. This is the same case with David's 54S above. I sent the 54S back to NGC a couple times for 68+FT.
    The weak strike kept it at 68FT. This 55S is amazing but I would rather have Bills 58D or David's 54S at the
    price points they paid. plus their dimes are FT.

Bill, If the 55S was my coin, it would be your coin

• Options
    Wow, that 51-S is electric! It certainly looks FB, I'd be surprised if it wasn't graded that way to start (unless the holder was pre-FB). Can't believe you let that one go, Jim.
  • Options

He let it go after he conducted a bidding war....I won!

• Options

I don't do clads, but that 1969 gets the Rainbowroosie seal of approval...nice!

• Options

That's a pretty spiffy clad coin, indeed! Out of curiosity, how much did that sell for? I'm all ears if you have another one like that up your sleeve!

• Options

Several high grade and nicer Roosies sold yesterday during the Stacks Bowers sale. Won't say who bought what. Check the results to get a gauge on the market. Will say several very high reserve coins did not sell. Again, this gives you a gauge on the real market.

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like the Emerald Coast dude bought the 52S MS68FB. Pretty coin!!!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options

Yes, the 52s is very attractive.

• Options

Nice 51s!

• Options
    edited November 6, 2016 5:57PM

@rainbowroosie said:
    _Several high grade and nicer Roosies sold yesterday during the Stacks Bowers sale. Won't say who bought what. Check the results to get a gauge on the market. Will say several very high reserve coins did not sell. Again, this gives you a gauge on the real market. _

I saw the 52S 68FB in hand at long beach. very nice coin. I would rank it in the top 2 of the 4 graded. The coin sold for $2800 with juice and was placed in the Emerald Coast collection. The 58D 68FB sold for $3500 with juice. I've owned both the other 2 graded 68FB 58D's and rank the SB one as the best of the 3 graded. It will be placed in the Almighty Dimes collection. I stretched a little further that I wanted to for the 58D. I believe a forum member paid stuuupid money for the 55S 67+ but he loved the color so much he couldn't keep his hand off the trigger :). The 51P, 56P and 57D went unsold "again". I have to give props to the seller of the 58D. if that coin was reserved just $100 more it also would have gone unsold. The 52S was a bargain at $2800. I would have paid the $3500 asking price at Long beach if I didn't already have one.

I am tooting a different horn than I did a month ago. Mitch was correct, Market is still weak and will remain that way. I don't see a lot of down side from here, but don't see any up side either. I lowered my price guide but not below it's lowest point. I'm still a buyer above current value for the right coin as opposed to below value as I was a month ago.

• Options

So, l'm "stuuupit?" At least spell stupid correctly! ;)

• Options

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-5ST8U

So click this and tell me that with the handle Rainbowroosie I could possibly pass...

• Options

I came thiiiis close to bidding on the 55-S. :smile: My number was $1600, but it was over that by the time I went to bid. I looked at the lots and thought it was gorgeous. Congrats on acquiring a spectacular coin! I loved the 51 but that reserve was high! Not surprised it didn't sell.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rainbowroosie said:

So click this and tell me that with the handle Rainbowroosie I could possibly pass...

Congrats!

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

@rainbowroosie said:

I'm very happy for you. I'm glad you like it as it is a really nice dime.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some new additions for me, all NGC 67s in old fatty holders.

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! The 1956 is pretty darn cool.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options

How close are the bands on the 49s?

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think the bands are there, but it might be one that would make it on a bad day for the graders. Of course, I didn't buy it for the potential, just the color.

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a lot of color for a 1964 and the buyer at $32 got an absolute steal.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nick. I'm not sure anymore who is saying what. Lol.

You overpaid for the 58-D, but who cares. You have plenty of money and know that the coin is the best of the three- right? I "paid up" to fly Business Class to Singapore, Cambodia and Thailand this month (just got back) on the #1 Airline in the World (and treated Justin to the same Class). Instead, I could have flown Coach and bought most of the dimes and had them forever. Pick your poison. :). Lord knows how many quarters I have overpaid for at this point!!

Did you see that NGC has now stopped allowing Other company coins in their Registry (effective 2017) due to gradeflation? Let's not even touch that subject. Let's just agree that demand can simply not keep up with supply. Not for Roosies, not for Jeffs, not for Lincolns, not for Wash. quarters, not for Ikes, etc, etc, etc. Not for Liberty Nickels, Shield nickels, many Seated coins, Buffalo Nickels, Barber coins, etc, etc, etc. How can prices rise unless pure supply and demand theory is not the measure? And, maybe it isn't. And, now there is one less place to "register" your 58-D dime starting 01/02/17. Not that that ever meant anything at all to me - I know it did for you for a while.

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

Wondercoin/Onlyroosies,
    Shame on you. I would never overpay for a Roosie. ;)

• Options

RR... Now that you mentioned it, yes, you did over pay for the 55-S I am afraid. Nick is right again. Join in the circle! Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options

I'm guilty as sin...always have been.

• Options

I may have over paid a bit for the 58D. Like I said in a previous post I'm now willing to pay over current value based on the coin. I liked the 58D enough to overpay for it. I would overpay for the 57D 68FB too if it was at least priced within reason. I agree with everything you said. NGC will allow PCGS coins in their registry that are in the set already. You will not have to replace those coins. Going forward they will only except NGC coins. I haven't had an NGC registry set for years and other than Bill I'm not working with anyone that does. I think about mid Jan we will see a major price collapse for NGC Roosies, Jeff's and wash quarters. This will also take the PC coins down with them. I still say PCGS pop 3/0 and under will be sellable. all others become common and continue to fall in price. This is an advantage for a collector that's in it for life with no intention of selling. Did Bill really over pay for his 55S. He was so thrilled when he got the coin in hand. That coin gave him so much pleasure and will continue to do so that the money wasn't a factor. When I stated that bill over paid I meant it in a joking sense. He knew that. That would have been overpaying for me. For Bill, he got the bargain of the year.

Just my 10c worth

• Options

I didn't state a reason. Just a prediction.

• Options

Wow!!! You can now add the 2016 to your registry set. Last week the pop for the 2016D MS68FB Roosie was 4/0. Today the pop is 9/0. The first couple made sold on ebay in the $300 - $400 range. Boy am I glad I only paid $50 for mine. The pop for the 2016P MS68FB last week was 0. Now it's 2. I'd pay $300 for one of those, not a penny more.

• Options

I think NGC coins will drop because of them excluding PCGS from the NGC Registry. Many will rethink the NGC Registry and possibly leave. NGCs recent statement about grading was mind bending. Check the NGC Roosies in the FUN sale.

• Options

Pokeplayer ... I believe what Nick is saying is that a ton of "junk" will be hitting the auctions in January including a great deal of overgraded NGC MS68 material I am informed and believe. The coins may sell for record low prices because of their quality. Nothing is done to take garbage off the market by the services - just lower and lower prices as a grading company is only as good as their worst coin for the grade. Nick predicts a major price collapse for these NGC coins because he knows what's coming down the road in 45 days. He just did not want to say it publicly it appears. As always, just my 2 cents. Wondercoin

• Options

Nick: Of course, I know what you sold me your 58-D MS68FB coin for from your first landmark Roosie dime set as well as the fact that you kept the best of the (2) at that time. Roosies are probably worth 1/2 as much as they were back then and at that time the coin only cost me a fraction of what you just paid for your latest 58-D. On top of that, there was no one in the country that want the dime at that level except you - all good evidence that you ovepaid a bit for your coin (as you mentioned). Again, so what. It's just money.

I am not sure RR has ever overpaid for any Roosie when it comes right down to it - will we ever see what his killer collection fetches when sold and then we may know the answer. Probably not in our lifetime - but stranger things have happened.

Tons of special grading events coming in next 45-60 days. Nick - watch the pops and let us know all the coins that were freshly made. Meanwhile, we can count the new collectors joining in to collect these freshly made coins often on 1 finger. Just my 2 cents. Therein lies the problem, Wondercoin.

• Options

I'm going to live till I'm 105 just so I can get all of Nick's best Roosies. ;)

• Options

Wondercoin,
    As always, your comments are spot on. The 68s "kinda lack eye appeal."

• Options

AllCoinsRule,
    If you can, post a couple of your best toners. We love color! :)

• Options

Nice.

• Options
    BeefCurry808BeefCurry808 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

@Stooge said:
    Coronacoins, Emerald Coast, & Royal Roosies are becoming very serious Silver Roosie Dime sets real quick like. Emerald Coast has the makings of a #2 set for sure.

Thank you for the acknowledgement :)

• Options

Welcome to the board Royal Roosies. You have the makings of a great set.