Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Anyone up for some Roosie Talk? - Thread #3

Comments

• Options
    labloverlablover Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pokeplayer101 said:
    I've just received grades on the four roosies I sent in a joint submission with Jim my favorite is this 1950 which graded MS67. In hand I graded it higher, it is the most lustrous roosie I own. Also, appeared mark free. I may or may not send it back eventually. For now, I'm happy with the way it is :-)

Ok, so post the others, please!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2017 8:44AM

Here's a nice 57-D I sent in with Pokeplayer101's coins. Just a MS67, but really pretty.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Today's stuff.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bill, now that you can post photos the next step is to learn how to take them. :)

And then edit them...

• Options

Complain complain complain.

I'm not 17 I'm nearly 71...this is alien technology.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
  • Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    Complain complain complain.

I'm not 17 I'm nearly 71...this is alien technology.

I really enjoyed the 70's, right after I enjoyed the 60's. For an ole fart you're doing pretty good. ;)

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2017 12:52AM

I just stopped by to say hello, I'm lurking. Dabbling. You folks have some awesome dimes. See ya soon.

PS. Gotta start somewhere... I picked this up on the bay, you probably saw it there already.
    Best wishes
    Rocco

• Options
    edited March 13, 2017 8:23PM

:p:o:)<3 That's it!
    You ole' dimers have pulled me in NEWP (first time using this abbreviation) first I decided to build an exclusive Omaha Bank Hoard 46-64 set. Then I decided toners could be included too. Now I wanna do both :/
    Now if I can figure out how to mount these colorful art dimes in the open spot on my matching colorful art wall hall...

• Options
    onlyroosiesonlyroosies Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭✭

It is done.. PC just graded the 100th MS68FB silver Roosie. I see the pop of the 1950D MS68FB just went to 6.

• Options

Is it just me or does every toner give FDR and entirely different expression? I have noticed this somewhat with Jeffersons, but the appearance is uniquely awesome in Roosies.

• Options

Today's coin 51s

• Options
    MonsterCoinzMonsterCoinz Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought a board with some tab toners in it. They graded MS67 and MS66, respectively. I think these are the first Roosie's I've ever sent in for grading..

www.MonsterCoinz.com | My Toned Showcase

Check out my iPhone app SlabReader!
  • Options

You did well!!

• Options

David,
    I gave you a Like! ;)

• Options

Anyone care to give me a quick crash course on Roosies?
    Someone must want to share info wth a newbie?
    I like the 1946-1964 series, toners and or full bands.
    Just starting my FDR registry sets.
    I know next to nothing about the special dates, keys, values... I can access price guide but you folks must know the ins and outs?
    Rocco

• Options

I came over today. Enjoyed reading this thread. Some great dimes there guys!!

Rick

• Options

Gary for you.

• Options
    AzurescensAzurescens Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 15, 2017 3:05AM

Here's some Roosie talk. I figure if anyone has seen this "variety" before, it'd be you ladies and gents. Take a look.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/977807/very-obscure-obverse-doubling-errors-1964p-us10c-roosevelt

I love 46-64 dimes. Was the first coin I fell in love with.

• Options
    edited March 15, 2017 3:07AM

@rainbowroosie - nice coin!

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aspie_Rocco said:
    Anyone care to give me a quick crash course on Roosies?
    Someone must want to share info wth a newbie?
    I like the 1946-1964 series, toners and or full bands.
    Just starting my FDR registry sets.
    I know next to nothing about the special dates, keys, values... I can access price guide but you folks must know the ins and outs?
    Rocco

My advice to you is to thoroughly read both threads #1 & #2 which can be found on the first page of this thread. Throughout both threads are very informative quotes from several big Roosie collectors, especially @onlyroosies & @wondercoin both whom have top 5 all time Roosie sets. You can learn from these 2 enormous amts. of info. on Roosies.

Read, read, read is my philosophy.

Plus I follow several sites for Roosie sales and prices, not to mention availability. Example is when you see several 1946-S dimes for sale in 7FB, and can buy 1 at any time in any grade compared to a 1963 in 6FB and higher you get to know what is a key vs. not a key.

It also takes time. I've been doing this for 15+ yrs and still have no idea on some things regarding this awesome coin.
    Good luck!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    edited March 16, 2017 11:08AM

Today's coin is a 1958

• Options
    edited March 16, 2017 4:05PM

@rainbowroosie said:
    Today's coin is a 1958

Billy,

Your good at posting images. Now, can you work on not posting the coins upside down, my neck is beginning to hurt. :)

• Options

Jim,
    Just tun your phone upside down...two wrongs make a right.

• Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    Today's coin is a 1958

Here you go.

• Options
    edited March 17, 2017 5:36AM

@Pokeplayer101 said:
    I have a 1964 to share. This is the roosie I've made most money on. It wasn't upgraded from 66 to 66+. I sent it in for the person who i sold it to.

I don't know how that 1964 got a 66, with "In" and "We" being almost completely missing. That is why the toned market is trash. That is not a 66, and not worth more than a few dollars. Terrible area to be missing, and very common.

• Options

I just got grades posted from across the street. I made a 1949 MS68FT. There is only one other NGC 1949 MS68FT graded and Rainbowroosie owns that coin, I will be putting this coin up for sale soon

• Options
    edited March 17, 2017 9:57PM

To the two people who disagreed with my post. Can you please explain how a coin with "IN" and "WE" more than halfway missing can justify an MS66? Not a 60 or 61 or even 64 or 65... please tell me your reason ln how it can catch an MS66 grade. It's literally the first thing you see looking at the coin.

I'm not talking about the @rainbowroosie piece.

This one.

...you're wondering why it didn't get 66+? Look at what I'm talking about. That's signs of overused and old and polished and bad dies. That's not a 66 hammered strike. It's literally a problem coin.

The tops of LIBE are no better. There are chips on the main part of his face over to the ear. The 4 in the date looks like it was the next thing to go on that die. The reverse could be better for a 66. You grade a coin on its worst side and unfortunately that's the obverse and I see a 61/62 with issues.

• Options

@Azurescens said:
    To the two people who disagreed with my post. Can you please explain how a coin with "IN" and "WE" more than halfway missing can justify an MS66? Not a 60 or 61 or even 64 or 65... please tell me your reason ln how it can catch an MS66 grade. It's literally the first thing you see looking at the coin.

I'm not talking about the @rainbowroosie piece.

This one.

...you're wondering why it didn't get 66+? Look at what I'm talking about. That's signs of overused and old and polished and bad dies. That's not a 66 hammered strike. It's literally a problem coin.

The tops of LIBE are no better. There are chips on the main part of his face over to the ear. The 4 in the date looks like it was the next thing to go on that die. The reverse could be better for a 66. You grade a coin on its worst side and unfortunately that's the obverse and I see a 61/62 with issues.

I won't agree or disagree, but you don't have the coin in-hand to view, only an image. Images can be very deceiving. The toning can be heavy in spots that tend to hide the real strike. Even a few of my 67+FB coins look like that in the image. Also, a MS66 does not have to have a "hammered" strike, that's why they grade MS66. Just my brief opinion.

Cheers

• Options

@onlyroosies said:
    I just got grades posted from across the street. I made a 1949 MS68FT. There is only one other NGC 1949 MS68FT graded and Rainbowroosie owns that coin, I will be putting this coin up for sale soon

:) Thumbs-Up!!!

• Options

I'm not going to explain the technicals of the coin but I see a 66 all day long and into tomorrow. Based on the photo the obverse looks like a solid 66 and the reverse a 67 possible 67+. In hand maybe a different story. I have seen weekly struck Roosies in MS68 holders.

• Options

I'd pay $50 for the 64, I don't see a $2 coin

• Options

I wasn't one of the 2 that marked your post disagree but I am the 3rd.

• Options

The coin is 66, not 67 but certainly MA as graded. Has a nice look assume the luster is original.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 18, 2017 11:01AM

I've seen many 66's with the same look or worse. I have a couple including a 66+ that exhibit the same or close to it.

This is also graded 66.

• Options

I love this. A roosie controversy. You know, I didn't even realize there was a disagree button. I'm going to use it for every future post by Nick and Jim. ;)

• Options

@robec said:
    I've seen many 66's with the same look or worse. I have a couple including a 66+ that exhibit the same or close to it.

This is also graded 66.

Bob,
    Your 54S once belonged to me...nice coin! Was once NGC MS67*

• Options

If you hit disagree enough times on the same person in a certain time window, it'll self-ban you, just a heads up... don't have too much fun with it =P Just like if you edit a post too many times you can't edit future posts for 72 hours without them auto deleting.

• Options

@lablover said:

@robec said:

This is also graded 66.

Bob,
    Your 54S once belonged to me...nice coin! **Was once NGC MS67***

• Options
    edited March 18, 2017 12:52PM

@Pokeplayer101 said:
    Me too Billy, just for somebody else!

Look man I'm not trying to start controversy or problems. I was under the impression this was a learning environment and to be treated as such. I'm sorry that I don't agree a coin can hit 66 with missing/damaged areas. I understand a lot of 1964 dimes did this. But, a lot didn't, and I think those are the ones that deserve 65 and 66.

• Options

No one should be upset about anything. I agree everyone should state what they mean. I give Nick, Jim, and Greattoning brutal opinions about some of their coins. But by the same token, when I say I love their coin, they know I really mean it. In fact, usually I'm trying to buy it.

• Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Azurescens said:

@lablover said:

@robec said:

This is also graded 66.

Bob,
    Your 54S once belonged to me...nice coin! **Was once NGC MS67***

I'm afraid I have a few that dropped a grade during the transfer from NGC to PCGS. But then I also have a few that jumped a grade.

I did buy your former coin as a 67*.

• Options

@Azurescens said:
    If you hit disagree enough times on the same person in a certain time window, it'll self-ban you, just a heads up... don't have too much fun with it =P Just like if you edit a post too many times you can't edit future posts for 72 hours without them auto deleting.

For someone whom just joined CU just over a month ago, and coming on here tossing out "Disagrees" like they're candy you have some nerve.

If you want to have a decent, open discussion about Roosies this is the place. I actually agree with you on a few points that weakly struck Roosies should be given a grade lower, but also if you watched the PCGS videos on grading 101, they also include sevral other key factors such as luster, eye appeal, hits, and of course strike. If you went back and read the 3 threads here, you will find that I myself questioned about an MS67+FB and/or an 8FB receiving those grades when half of "Liberty" was smashed. I really hate smashed letters on a decent grade Roosie. But PCGS has given out tons of MS68's w/o FB.

Your input is welcome of course.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

Today's coin is a 1946D

• Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    Today's coin is a 1946D

Billy,

I'm not only impressed you're able to now post images, but you can also take a picture! Way to go bro...

Nice 46D!!!

• Options

@Stooge said:

@Azurescens said:

For someone whom just joined CU just over a month ago, and coming on here tossing out "Disagrees" like they're candy you have some nerve.

Who said I'm handing them out like candy lol. Just because I know self-ban things such as this exist on mostly un-moderated forums? Most tapatalk forums do this and so do new sites that use older bbcode, and don't have the moderators to handle it so they let the software do its work.

I found out about editing since I often forget things. It happens when you get older. I'm sure some people here know how that goes.

Thank you for helping me understand why weak Roosevelts get higher grades. I'll read those threads and watch the video. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. I appreciate your help in my journey on expanding my knowledge base.

• Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    No one should be upset about anything. I agree everyone should state what they mean. I give Nick, Jim, and Greattoning brutal opinions about some of their coins. But by the same token, when I say I love their coin, they know I really mean it. In fact, usually I'm trying to buy it.

I'm very thankful for the Band of Roosie Brothers, whom I trust and am open to their opinions. The corporate knowledge is stunning.

• Options

@Azurescens said:
    Thank you for helping me understand why weak Roosevelts get higher grades. I'll read those threads and watch the video. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. I appreciate your help in my journey on expanding my knowledge base.

This is what it's all about. We all agree and disagree at times, but we're all here to make our hobby thrive and celebrate the Roosevelt Dime. Just like @lablover said I'm very thankful for the Band of Roosie Brothers, whom I trust and am open to their opinions. The corporate knowledge is stunning.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    edited March 20, 2017 2:36PM

Hey just wondering what you folks think of the date and IGWT doubling on these 1964 dimes. They're fresh out of the roll.

I see both mechanical and hub doubling on them.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/977807/very-obscure-obverse-doubling-errors-1964p-us10c-roosevelt