Home Sports Talk

Is Kaepernick a jerk?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
So what do you guys think, is his little stunt with sitting during the anthem a clown move or a solid form of protest? I think clown move. I realize he has the right to do this. But just because you have the right to do something doesn't make it right. there are better ways to show your displeasure than that.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He should get used to sitting. It's all he's good for now at this point in his career anyway.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He is a jerk regardless of this particular action.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    If by standing and facing the flag during the playing of the National Anthem, you are showing agreement and belief in the words of the anthem, then wouldn't it be hypocritical of Colin to stand if he's lost that belief? If it truly is the "land of the free" for all Americans, then explain how an unarmed citizen can be pulled over by a policeman, put up no resistance, and still wind up dead?
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because there are bad people in our country who do bad things does not mean that our flag should be disrespected. Rogue cops killing people have nothing to do with the backbone of our country, the constitution. Colin is protesting the wrong thing. It makes absolutely no sense. Does the constitution make provisions for police to murder citizens? He is looking for a cause and thinks he has found one but he isn't even protesting the right thing. I would imagine 90% of police are great people, it's just that small percentage who ruin their reputation. Why would you protest the police when it is just a few evil cops doing these crimes. What an idiot.

Well, obviously your mindset only encompasses things that occur in your daily life, and are all that matter to you. Have you ever tried to see things from the point of view of somebody who is unlike yourself?
    What in the world are you talking about exactly?

Do you mean seeing things through the eyes of a coddled multi million dollar athelete who is trying to make a sophomoric point? Yeah, I don't have that color glasses I guess.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

He has the right to protest and you have the right to complain about it. The rest of us have the right to ignore it or chime in on one side or the other.

I actually like the way he is doing this . He was probably going to get cut because lets face it he really isn't very good. Now if he gets cut he can say it was because of the protest which might somehow make the nfl look bad. Anything that could make the league look bad I'm all for.

I also think its funny that idiots who bought Kapernick shirts (for some unfathomable reason???? ) with their own money are now burning them image .

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't stand the guy now, before this I didn't have an opinion of him one way or another but all of a sudden he wants to grow his Afro out, grow a beard and start talking about how " His People" are being oppressed. The guy is a complete idiot, gimme a break.

It's really not that difficult a question to answer. Do you have empathy for people who are not of the same racial background as yourself?
    Originally posted by: perkdog

I can't stand the guy now, before this I didn't have an opinion of him one way or another but all of a sudden he wants to grow his Afro out, grow a beard and start talking about how " His People" are being oppressed. The guy is a complete idiot, gimme a break.

+1000

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know much, but I'm certain of one thing: Colin Kaepernick and Rick Monday will never go bowling together.
    Originally posted by: PSASAP

It's really not that difficult a question to answer. Do you have empathy for people who are not of the same racial background as yourself?

Of course. I have empathy for all kinds of people. I just don't see your point. A few bad police officers have killed people wrongly. How does that reflect on the constitution? How does that make me insensitive to point out colins buffoonery?

Originally posted by: craig44

Of course. I have empathy for all kinds of people. I just don't see your point. A few bad police officers have killed people wrongly. How does that reflect on the constitution? How does that make me insensitive to point out colins buffoonery?

We are only on page 1 of the thread you will change your mind by page 5 and stand solidly behind him.image

It's about showing respect for the thousands of young men and women who have died or been severely injured while protecting your freedom to express your beliefs and opinions. This guy makes tens of millions of dollars for riding the bench or playing a mediocre QB position. He is an embarrassment to himself and to the league. He has the right to express himself but that doesn't make what he's doing any less disrespectful.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Oh bronco...

Originally posted by: galaxy27

I don't know much, but I'm certain of one thing: Colin Kaepernick and Rick Monday will never go bowling together.

LOL, that was one of the great moments in baseball.

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ripe for circular arguing. Multifaceted.

No right or wrong answers.

Speaking strictly sports wise, I guarantee it's a distraction his coaches do not appreciate.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

It's about showing respect for the thousands of young men and women who have died or been severely injured while protecting your freedom to express your beliefs and opinions. This guy makes tens of millions of dollars for riding the bench or playing a mediocre QB position. He is an embarrassment to himself and to the league. He has the right to express himself but that doesn't make what he's doing any less disrespectful.

Minorities have had their blood spilt in the country since it was formed. Without going into the long, gory history, African, Asian and Mexican and Native Americans have lost countless lives due to racist violence in this country, and that violence was at times sanctioned by the government, and encouraged by the journalism of the time. Their lives are no less sacred than those who went to a foreign country to seek out an enemy, or died as a Confederate or Union soldier. America has millions upon millions of citizens willing to honor the lives of soldiers, yet can't deal with one individual who is standing up for an equally important population which helped make this country what it is today, which is shameful.
    Originally posted by: sparky64
    Ripe for circular arguing. Multifaceted.
    No right or wrong answers.

Speaking strictly sports wise, I guarantee it's a distraction his coaches do not appreciate.

Which is a big deal because the 49'ers have a terrible coach who really doesn't need any more on his plate. image

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Vietnam Veteran - NO HE DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT. If you can't respect the flag and our country for no matter what reason........

LEAVE AND GO TO ANOTHER COUNTRY THAT YOU THINK IS BETTER...........YOU ARE TAKING UP SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Minorities have had their blood spilt in the country since it was formed. Without going into the long, gory history, African, Asian and Mexican and Native Americans have lost countless lives due to racist violence in this country, and that violence was at times sanctioned by the government, and encouraged by the journalism of the time. Their lives are no less sacred than those who went to a foreign country to seek out an enemy, or died as a Confederate or Union soldier. America has millions upon millions of citizens willing to honor the lives of soldiers, yet can't deal with one individual who is standing up for an equally important population which helped make this country what it is today, which is shameful.

You are using a straw man argument to advance your political agenda. I did not draw any racial distinction in my post when referring to those who have proudly served this country. The truth is that of those who have served, a very significant percentage were, in fact, persons of color. You can still be respectful while acknowledging the issues.

All of those things happened and were TERRIBLE. However, are our nation's leaders currently sanctioning racist killings of African, Asian, Mexican or first nation people? Those are things that happened in the past. Do we still need to protest the civil war or the treatment of first nations people's during relocation? Do you not think that things are steadily getting better for minorities in our country? Just think about affirmative action and what that has done for minorities. Red lining is no longer legal and university is free for first nations people's. So many transfer their anger for these police killings to the federal government when for once, they have nothing to do with it. Kaepernick is not some sort of civil rights scion who should be revered. He is a pampered athlete who is looking for a cause. He is a misguided dolt.

Originally posted by: DIMEMAN

As a Vietnam Veteran - NO HE DOES NOT HAVE THE RIGHT. If you can't respect the flag and our country for no matter what reason........

LEAVE AND GO TO ANOTHER COUNTRY THAT YOU THINK IS BETTER...........YOU ARE TAKING UP SPACE!!!!!!!!!!!!

+1. Maybe try Iran or Libya if you feel so discriminated against and put upon here.

Fyi, the third stanza of TSSB mentions slaves, and not in a good way. So there's that.

link
    The phrase is ambiguous, key never even clarified what he meant. Your own link states that it may be referring to captured soldiers the British forced to fight on their side. Anyways it's a moot point because that stanza is never sung before games.

Your reaching.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spent a precious year of my life in the 1st Infantry Division in Vietnam from 1969-1970 and received my fair share of recognition, including a Bronze Star. I also lost too many friends I went through OCS in Ft Benning, GA with who died in Vietnam. Somehow we went and served with honor and pride for our country.

Kaepernick doesn't deserve the fruits of the sacrifices I made and untold thousands of others made for the life he enjoys in this great country.

He will and should receive the wrath he has brought upon himself for his senseless actions by fans everywhere.

I suspect because his playing ability is now in the dumper that he wants to stir the pot.
    Fyi, the third stanza of TSSB mentions slaves, and not in a good way. So there's that.

link

Boy....did you read that wrong! The word "slave" there is not refering to a person, but to an action!

Get real!!!
    Originally posted by: MCMLVTopps
    I spent a precious year of my life in the 1st Infantry Division in Vietnam from 1969-1970 and received my fair share of recognition, including a Bronze Star. I also lost too many friends I went through OCS in Ft Benning, GA with who died in Vietnam. Somehow we went and served with honor and pride for our country.

Kaepernick doesn't deserve the fruits of the sacrifices I made and untold thousands of others made for the life he enjoys in this great country.

He will and should receive the wrath he has brought upon himself for his senseless actions by fans everywhere.

I suspect because his playing ability is now in the dumper that he wants to stir the pot.

I thank you for your service. I was there 1967-1968. It wasn't a popular war, but we served.
  • MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back at ya Dimeman...

and only you could appreciate this...

WELCOME HOME !!!
  • travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    I guess Gabby Douglas is off the hook.
    Originally posted by: travis t

The internet is mainly used to scold folks nowadays .

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never cared for colin krapperynik to start with. Way over rated. Now that he's sitting on the bench he needed to find another way to get attention. Since he doesn't think that it's right for the Police to be put on paid leave when someone is shot I guess he won't think it's right for him to sit on the bench and get paid when he isn't the starting quarterback. And he got benched last year and not for his beliefs this year.
  • travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

Originally posted by: travis t

The internet is mainly used to scold folks nowadays .

SHAME ON YOU! image
    Boy....did you read that wrong! The word "slave" there is not refering to a person, but to an action!

Key was referring to the slaves who joined the British Royal Army in exchange for their freedom, they were known as Colonial Marines. Here's a short video on the history of The Star Spangled Banner:

link to video
    Whatever key meant, and he never did reveal what he mean so any thoughts are conjecture, that part of the song is never sung. Colin is not protesting the song, but his country. This ssb talk is just a red herring because you know you are licked in this little debate

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Us sin Bolt was doing an interview when the U.S. anthem was being played. He stopped till it was over. Knapper ok needs to take a lesson from him
    Kaepernick's misgivings about standing for the National Anthem are not without precedent. Jackie Robinson expressed his feelings about it over 40 years ago, shortly before his death:

lText
    Kaepernick's misgivings about standing for the National Anthem are not without precedent. Jackie Robinson expressed his feelings about it over 40 years ago, shortly before his death:

lText

Well.....now I have lost respect for JR too!!
    What does JR have to do with what this idiot is doing right now? I'm concerned with what Colin is doing right now. Again, you are trying to send everyone on a rabbit trail here. It is not that kaepernick has a problem with the anthem itelf, he is protesting the country. For once, the Fed's have NOTHING to do with this recent spate of cop shootings. Stay on topic here.

This is on topic. That you don't have the intellect to grasp it is your problem, not mine.

This is on topic. That you don't have the intellect to grasp it is your problem, not mine.

Oh my, one of those...

Kaepernick has not said he has a prob with tssb. His little protest has to do with misplacing blame for the police shootings onto the federal gov. He says he refuses to stand for a country That allows racial injustice. You brought up some misgivings with tssb, not kaepernick therefore, you are off topic. Now do you think there is a federal mandate somewhere to abuse/kill certain races of its own citizens? If so, it would have to be a secret conspiracy because it certainly is not public. That sure would be a big secret to keep now wouldn't it. These murders are not done by federal employees, they are done by city employees, and rogue ones at that. So when you go off talking about tssb being a racist song, you sir are off topic.

Police killings of blacks.............don't make me laugh! Maybe everyone should obey the law and not attack police officers.

Michael Brown was shot and killed in Mo. several years ago because he robbed a store and attacked a police officer and tried to take his gun. Just how is this police brutality???!!!!
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar addresses the issue:

link

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar addresses the issue:

link

Well, he certainly did. Got it wrong, but he addressed it. Just because someone risks personal sacrifice doesn't make his act patriotic. Were Robert e. Lee, John Wilkes booth or David duke patriotic? They all risked personal sacrifice for their beliefs.

What EXACTLY is the Fed supposed to do to stop the small percentage bad cops from doing bad things? Should TPOTUS ride shotgun in patrol cars? Should congressmen be hanging out at the local precinct? Sometimes people do bad things. It doesn't mean the system is broken.

• billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Jerry Rice is now one of my favorite people
    Always knew rice was the man. And he is right, ALL lives do matter.

Kaepernick is getting support from active and retired military personnel on Twitter.
    #VeteransforKaepernick

link
This discussion has been closed.