1222324252628»

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right on man!

Oh yeah!

• dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    My point is simply this, if someone has cancer and doesn't have health insurance, you don't just turn them away and let them die, if you have a decent bone in your body.

I understood your point, and I agree with you. But we're not talking about what decent people do, we're talking about what the government can force everyone to do. If you're on the political left, then that distinction won't really matter to you, because they mean the same thing. But if you're on the political right, then you'll understand my point. In my screed, I was speaking as the hypothetical all-powerful ruler of the country, and in that role I would not set up a system that forced everyone to agree with my conception of what was or was not "decent". Nor did the men who wrote the Constitution, who explicitly disallowed the taking of money from one person or group of persons to provide benefits for a different person or group of persons. You are free to believe that they were inhumane, and that we remained an inhumane country until well into the 20th century, but my POV is that what we remained until well into the 20th century was "free". Free to be humane or inhumane, yes, but if we are not free to make inhumane choices then we are not free. And if we are not free to be offensive then we are not free. And so on. In my POV the single most essential element of "humanity" is freedom, even if free people make choices I wouldn't make, and government's sole legitimate function is to prevent others, foreign and domestic, from interfering with our freedom to make our own choices.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bum on the streets of San Francisco cannot get a decent hot meal or a roof over his head yet taxpayers should be required to attempt to cure his cancer at $100,000 per infusion.

Given the choice, he will take the meal and the housing.

Medical care is overrated as a social benefit and for good reason, it is generally a fail.

edited July 10, 2019 10:31AM

He has to be alive to take the meal, and the housing. I don't mind if my tax money goes to treat someone who has cancer.

@doubledragon said:
    He has to be alive to take the meal.

And has to have food to remain alive.

Food is a lot easier to get than cancer treatment.

@doubledragon said:
    Food is a lot easier to get than cancer treatment.

Yes and much more economical. Bleeding heart liberals seem to seek the high dollar solution before examining the inexpensive option. One can aid the poor without bankrupting the nation.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better not burn any baseball cards, or that will really get me mad.

• TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

Pat yourself on the back, my oh-so-clever and prideful "friend". Congrats to you that you recognized that I'd take your bait and further reveal that I care a hell of a lot more for people than I do symbols. Totally owned me, you did.

I'm becoming comfortable in my skin. I like who I've become over the past 5 years or so. I've been on your side most of my adult life. I saw things the way you see them. I don't like how that man thought and spoke and acted, so now I'm resolved to show compassion and tell people that their story and their lives matter.

@stevek said:
    Better not burn any baseball cards, or that will really get me mad.

Send 'em to that one place in Oregon. They'll look just fine in short order.

• markj111markj111 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Help! How do I turn off this post?

@markj111 said:

Honestly, I'm shocked it's been running almost three years. Carol J would shut it down after maybe 10 posts, and yet not only is it still running, but nobody's been bammed. Pretty sure most of us have broken most of the board's rules.

I don't like melting coins either for that matter.

Anyone wishes to burn or melt Dallas Cowboys memorabilia, well then that's fine.

This thread needs a little smoke. It's on fire. It gives me an excuse to use my backyard leaf blower smoke signal gif.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 10, 2019 11:23AM

Well to be fair to the logic behind people being ok with US Flag Burning I guess I can relate because I wouldn’t be offended if I saw a Quran or any religious item being burnt.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TNP777 said:

@markj111 said:

Honestly, I'm shocked it's been running almost three years. Carol J would shut it down after maybe 10 posts, and yet not only is it still running, but nobody's been bammed. Pretty sure most of us have broken most of the board's rules.

I dont think so, this story when it began was one of the biggest things the Media exploited and made headlines over and it’s directly involving a former sports figure

@perkdog said:

@TNP777 said:

@markj111 said:

I dont think so, this story when it began was one of the biggest things the Media exploited and made headlines over and it’s directly involving a former sports figure

It started that way, but it's gotten very political many times, and kinda personal at times, too. Throw in a dash of religion here and there, too.

Buncha habitual line steppers up in here. lol

This discussion has been closed.