Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Kaepernick a jerk?

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1970s said:
    Well. The post by Skin2 has officially closed this thread. We may now move on to other
    things of interest.

I will agree to agree with the agreement.

• Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2018 5:06PM

There sure seems to be a lot of anger and hate for fellow Americans from the “right”. Calling anyone who dares disagree with their brand of “patriotism” snowflakes, haters of America, lovers of Kaepernick, lovers of Castro, liberals, etc. A lot of anger and hate for Americans who love their country, too, but don’t worship the Flag and Anthem. I respect the Flag and what the red, white and blue represent. I respect the Anthem and the symbolism behind the words. But I love the freedoms that piece of cloth and that song represent far more than the symbols themselves.

But guys like the Glicker want to punish Americans who don’t “patriot” like they want. Kneel once, suspension. Kneel twice, lose your job. SEIG HEIL! SEIG HEIL! Is that the America you guys want? Forced reverence for a flag and a song? If it is, I will fight you every step of the way. I will NOT be forced to pay homage to symbols at the expense of my Constitutional freedoms. The fact that none of you anti-Kaepers called him out on his fascist suggestion is pretty telling.

I drank that right-leaning koolaid for almost my entire life. I still hold a great many conservative values, but have developed the ability to see different perspective. That’s not a bad thing, but to most of you, I’m some sort of ignorant fool for not blindly towing the White line.

A man once said there were fine people on both sides. The same man, by his words and actions, have given many of those fine people the “courage” to boldly proclaim how much they value a significant portion of their fellow Americans.

This right here is why Kaepernick kneeled. Many of you want to pretend or believe that men like these are very rare. I would suggest otherwise. If the attitudes of the posters in this thread are any indication, I’d say the numbers are far higher than any of us can imagine.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

I had never heard of the case before. i took a quick look at the video on Youtube.

I stand by my comments. Please don't exaggerate what I stated.

Anyone who has ever watched the show "Cops", sees take downs similar to this. Although usually not as much baton thrashing.

However, that's what a police baton is there to do, in certain instances to subdue the perpetrator.

In any event, the police officer got six years, would you have preferred the guillotine?

Why was there a takedown in the first place? Zehm hadn't done anything - and the cop knew he hadn't done anything and wasn't suspected of doing anything.

But you are missing the point entirely:

Yes, the guy got 6 years. But only after dozens of "good cops" participated in a coverup and led about what surveillance video showed. Then, after their colleague murdered an innocent man - not a suspect, an innocent man - using a banned, illegal technique, they SALUTED the guy while in dress uniform.

You know what actual good cops do in that situation? They don't lie. And they sure as hell don't celebrate a murderer by saluting him.

The problem isn't the guy. It's the dozens of others enabling and celebrating the guy.

p.s. 6 years for murdering ah innocent man is a joke. 20+ was in order.

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

Why does it have to be because of my experience as a white man? Your telling me that the hundreds of thousands upon hundreds of thousands of black people in this country that have served in the military, Law Enforcement have educations, beautiful homes with nice families, pay their bills, have jobs and send their kids off to college and have never been arrested all haven’t had a fair shot because of their skin color? They are angry at all white People? They get treated unfairly? Your delusional

Over 80% of African Americans in this country support the kneelers. Maybe folks on this thread should talk to them about why they do.

Anyway I too will bow out of this thread as it is clear both sides are talking at each other rather than to each other.

Robb

• Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2018 3:54PM

@TNP777 said:
    There sure seems to be a lot of anger and hate for fellow Americans from the “right”. Calling anyone who dares disagree with their brand of “patriotism” snowflakes, haters of America, lovers of Kaepernick, lovers of Castro, liberals, etc. A lot of anger and hate for Americans who love their country, too, but don’t worship the Flag and Anthem. I respect the Flag and what the red, white and blue represent. I respect the Anthem and the symbolism behind the words. But I love the freedoms that piece of cloth and that song represent far more than the symbols themselves.

But guys like the Glicker want to punish Americans who don’t “patriot” like they want. Kneel once, suspension. Kneel twice, lose your job. SEIG HEIL! SEIG HEIL! Is that the America you guys want? Forced reverence for a flag and a song? If it is, I will fight you every step of the way. I will NOT be forced to pay homage to symbols at the expense of my Constitutional freedoms. The fact that none of you anti-Kaepers called him out on his fascist suggestion is pretty telling.

I drank that right-leaning koolaid for almost my entire life. I still hold a great many conservative values, but have developed the ability to see different perspective. That’s not a bad thing, but to most of you, I’m some sort of ignorant fool for not blindly towing the White line.

A man once said there were fine people on both sides. The same man, by his words and actions, have given many of those fine people the “courage” to boldly proclaim how much they value a significant portion of their fellow Americans.

This right here is why Kaepernick kneeled. Many of you want to pretend or believe that men like these are very rare. I would suggest otherwise. If the attitudes of the posters in this thread are any indication, I’d say the numbers are far higher than any of us can imagine.

Hitler's legacy is that in any discussion where one side is getting demolished, the comparisons to Nazi Germany are tossed onto the table like a losing hand in a euchre tournament.

Folks do all kind of things to the American flag. Though often distasteful, that is a constitutionally protected right. Reread the last 1200 posts and I defy you to find a single post that indicates otherwise.

These thugs that have no regard for the nation that they live in are breaking no laws. What they are doing though is pissing on the folks that pay to see them play and in many cases, paid for the damn stadium in which they piss on the American flag.

Owners are spineless and Goodell is a jellyfish. Disheartening that even those that are disgusted by the kneelers still tune in and cheer on their team. Not sure how one jumps in the air when nation hater scores the go ahead touchdown, but this is America and to each his own.

• Options

I’m a big fan of the old saying, “better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.”

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2018 4:10PM

@TNP777 said:
    I’m a big fan of the old saying, “better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.”

Ummm Ya , glick don't roll that.

Crap I meant to stay away from this thread . Last post for me

• Options

@TNP777 said:

Hitler and old quips are all that you have left in the quiver? Good timing as I have a bunch of auctions to bid on.

• Options

Pasted:

Godwin's law

American attorney and author Mike Godwin coined his eponymous law on Usenet in 1990
    Godwin's law (or Godwin's rule of Hitler analogies)[1][2] is an Internet adage asserting that "As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Hitler approaches 1";[2][3] that is, if an online discussion (regardless of topic or scope) goes on long enough, sooner or later someone will compare someone or something to Adolf Hitler or his deeds. Promulgated by the American attorney and author Mike Godwin in 1990,[2] Godwin's law originally referred specifically to Usenet newsgroup discussions.[4] It is now applied to any threaded online discussion, such as Internet forums, chat rooms, and comment threads, as well as to speeches, articles, and other rhetoric[5][6] where reductio ad Hitlerum occurs.

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options

I recall when baseball was Americas sport. They the NFL could do no wrong. Now they can do no right.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    I recall when baseball was Americas sport. They the NFL could do no wrong. Now they can do no right.

I'd like to point out an important fact . So what? Time is not standing still for any person or sport or league or team whatever. NFL football can absolutely die . So what though?

Remember when heavyweight boxing was huge? Its all gone and its never coming back. Baseball was americas national pastime but its dying. Part is MLB killing it , but part is just peoples interests change. Competition from other sports that are more exciting , games too slow , tickets too expensive , maybe dad's are not going to ball games with their kid because the kid won't put his friggin iphone down ,or for some reason there are only night games on weekends , Ya red sox I'm talking about you. Who is going to bring a kid to a game if it starts at 7 on a week night ? Nobody , even Saturday games are night games.

You might think the league is killing the NFL but no sport can increase every single year forever. It has to crest and go down and it could bounce back up or just continue down. The NFL was just going up and up but it can't do that.

Nobody knew in 1985 that heavyweight boxing was doomed , sure boxing was always sketch but I was still buying Tyson fights on PPV years later and then poof it was gone. I swear I didn't even really note its passing at the time.

If kneelers are causing boycotts then thats only part of it. Plenty of those opposed to kneelers that are very vocal in this thread are still watching. Others have stopped watching without saying a word, they just went away.

People actually sit and watch other people play video games now , thats an actual thing. The dumbest thing ever but its a thing. Those people consuming Overwatch league games aren't watch football or baseball or basketball at all or as much as they did. Those people are gone forever. There are only so many free hours in a day or week.

In other countries Soccer is huge but it will never be here. Someone is always saying soccer is going to get big but there is no chance.

What if all the sports we consume are in a downtrend and are not being replaced by new sports ? That is my view , pro sports of all type are in terminal decline and we will never see any sport dominate again.

• Options
    edited September 17, 2018 8:06PM

Great post, Bronco. Maybe we can get Otis from the OFR to come back and lock the thread.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

I'd like to point out an important fact . So what? Time is not standing still for any person or sport or league or team whatever. NFL football can absolutely die . So what though?

Remember when heavyweight boxing was huge? Its all gone and its never coming back. Baseball was americas national pastime but its dying. Part is MLB killing it , but part is just peoples interests change. Competition from other sports that are more exciting , games too slow , tickets too expensive , maybe dad's are not going to ball games with their kid because the kid won't put his friggin iphone down ,or for some reason there are only night games on weekends , Ya red sox I'm talking about you. Who is going to bring a kid to a game if it starts at 7 on a week night ? Nobody , even Saturday games are night games.

You might think the league is killing the NFL but no sport can increase every single year forever. It has to crest and go down and it could bounce back up or just continue down. The NFL was just going up and up but it can't do that.

Nobody knew in 1985 that heavyweight boxing was doomed , sure boxing was always sketch but I was still buying Tyson fights on PPV years later and then poof it was gone. I swear I didn't even really note its passing at the time.

If kneelers are causing boycotts then thats only part of it. Plenty of those opposed to kneelers that are very vocal in this thread are still watching. Others have stopped watching without saying a word, they just went away.

People actually sit and watch other people play video games now , thats an actual thing. The dumbest thing ever but its a thing. Those people consuming Overwatch league games aren't watch football or baseball or basketball at all or as much as they did. Those people are gone forever. There are only so many free hours in a day or week.

In other countries Soccer is huge but it will never be here. Someone is always saying soccer is going to get big but there is no chance.

What if all the sports we consume are in a downtrend and are not being replaced by new sports ? That is my view , pro sports of all type are in terminal decline and we will never see any sport dominate again.

You're right, things change. They say that one day in the future, we will be born, live, work, retire, and die, all in the same room.

Grote actually comes close to doing that now, although I think he ventures out sometimes on Sunday morning to pickup a newspaper.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,585 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@bronco2078 said:

@Coinstartled said:

You're right, things change. They say that one day in the future, we will be born, live, work, retire, and die, all in the same room.

Grote actually comes close to doing that now, although I think he ventures out sometimes on Sunday morning to pickup a newspaper.

I get the paper delivered, LOL..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

No way soccer will ever be on my TV! I don't even consider it a sport.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

Did you know that Bob Kraft that owns the Patriots , arguably the greatest franchise in the NFL for the last decade or two owns a soccer team that is terrible and always has been?

His skill at running an NFL team and the benefit of the stadium that the Patriots built counts for nothing in soccer terms. It seems strange to me that a owner that people think is great in football can be so awful in soccer when the stadium part is basically free . I mean other soccer owners don't have a rent free stadium and are doing much better. Lots of kids play soccer but it doesn't ever translate into adult viewers.

I think a lot of the issue with sports decline is that they exploded along with TV and TV is basically dying now. I mean TV was stronger when there were 8 channels than now with 500 channels. 40 years ago you could sit with 6 dudes and watch a bowl game on a 13 inch TV and have a blast. Now one person with a 60 inch tv will fall asleep at half time.

The magic has gone out of everything :/

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

About all that TV of yours gets is Howdy Doody and Sea Hunt.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

About all that TV of yours gets is Howdy Doody and Sea Hunt.

Nope...don't watch those, but I watch anything else that I want and like. ;)

• Options
    Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

Did you know that Bob Kraft that owns the Patriots , arguably the greatest franchise in the NFL for the last decade or two owns a soccer team that is terrible and always has been?

His skill at running an NFL team and the benefit of the stadium that the Patriots built counts for nothing in soccer terms. It seems strange to me that a owner that people think is great in football can be so awful in soccer when the stadium part is basically free . I mean other soccer owners don't have a rent free stadium and are doing much better. Lots of kids play soccer but it doesn't ever translate into adult viewers.

I think a lot of the issue with sports decline is that they exploded along with TV and TV is basically dying now. I mean TV was stronger when there were 8 channels than now with 500 channels. 40 years ago you could sit with 6 dudes and watch a bowl game on a 13 inch TV and have a blast. Now one person with a 60 inch tv will fall asleep at half time.

I agree. It was more fun reading box scores in the morning newspaper than it is now getting instant updates and have the play by play of every game in your hand.

One thing that is far more magical now though is DVR...because it is so easy to record shows and fast forward through commercials.

• Options

@Skin2 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

I agree. It was more fun reading box scores in the morning newspaper than it is now getting instant updates and have the play by play of every game in your hand.

One thing that is far more magical now though is DVR...because it is so easy to record shows and fast forward through commercials.

It's still more fun (for me) to watch Football all day Sunday as it is played on my big screen TV.

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:

@Skin2 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

It's still more fun (for me) to watch Football all day Sunday as it is played on my big screen TV.

Its been cheapened though. If you have any old VCR tapes of games try watching one of them from the 70's or 80's. Not football , but I watched a bruins vs hartford whalers tape the other day and it was exciting. In between periods they had mini one-on-one kids tourney thing . They dump that in favor of more analysis , like now in 2nd intermission of a 0-0 tie we are waiting breathlessly to hear someone say they need to put the puck in the net . Like Albert friggin Einstein who could have worked that out?

What I remember even more was the graphics

Bruins 2

Hartford 2

in huge letters . No crawlers or tickers or side panels of gibberish to be seen anywhere ever

So many more commercials , so many stupid reviews that halt the game for 10 minutes at times and they still get it wrong , and other stoppages that appear to have no reason why they occur (commercial time out yay!!! ) . Watch the endless recap and pre cap shows the washed up jocks that all say the same thing. These are paying jobs , uhhh duhhhh they should run the ball duhhhh , ya really we need that special insight . Also why is there a broad with fake boobs on the show who literally has no clue , its all just stitched together garbage between commercials.

• Options

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@Skin2 said:

@bronco2078 said:

@DIMEMAN said:

@bronco2078 said:

Its been cheapened though. If you have any old VCR tapes of games try watching one of them from the 70's or 80's. Not football , but I watched a bruins vs hartford whalers tape the other day and it was exciting. In between periods they had mini one-on-one kids tourney thing . They dump that in favor of more analysis , like now in 2nd intermission of a 0-0 tie we are waiting breathlessly to hear someone say they need to put the puck in the net . Like Albert friggin Einstein who could have worked that out?

What I remember even more was the graphics

Bruins 2

Hartford 2

in huge letters . No crawlers or tickers or side panels of gibberish to be seen anywhere ever

So many more commercials , so many stupid reviews that halt the game for 10 minutes at times and they still get it wrong , and other stoppages that appear to have no reason why they occur (commercial time out yay!!! ) . Watch the endless recap and pre cap shows the washed up jocks that all say the same thing. These are paying jobs , uhhh duhhhh they should run the ball duhhhh , ya really we need that special insight . Also why is there a broad with fake boobs on the show who literally has no clue , its all just stitched together garbage between commercials.

bronk….tell us how you really feel. ;)

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bronco2078 said:

People actually sit and watch other people play video games now , thats an actual thing. The dumbest thing ever but its a thing.

On a fundamental level, how is it any different than watching someone play a sport? In both instances you're watching someone else play a game. It usually boils down to watching someone else that is really good at an activity you enjoy. Kids like video games so they watch those who are really good at them. We enjoy football so we watch people who are really good at it.

• Options

@Tabe said:

@bronco2078 said:

People actually sit and watch other people play video games now , thats an actual thing. The dumbest thing ever but its a thing.

On a fundamental level, how is it any different than watching someone play a sport? In both instances you're watching someone else play a game. It usually boils down to watching someone else that is really good at an activity you enjoy. Kids like video games so they watch those who are really good at them. We enjoy football so we watch people who are really good at it.

we can't play football though. I can play overwatch , I just need to have enough money to buy the game and I'm good to go. Its a fun game to play. I play with my cousins kids at times , they are better than me but thats not an issue its still fun even if I lose.

Video games are like sex , if you are able to you do so , watching is a very distant second place to participating.

• Options

News headline for Sunday September 23:

NFL Down to Three Anthem Protesters in Early Kickoffs

• Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    News headline for Sunday September 23:

NFL Down to Three Anthem Protesters in Early Kickoffs

If we can get those three to stand, America will be Great Again. ;)

Daniel
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd rather have a well done thick steak.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

I don't wish to regurgitate this Kaepernick thread, but in the interest of providing Sports Talk with the most accurate updated information, i must report that Nike stock price has plunged to below $75 a share. The stock price was over $85 only three weeks ago. My guess is the sales figures are starting to roll in since the Kaepernick ad, and investors don't like what they see.

Yes the stock market has gone down this past week, but not nearly as much of a percentage as the drop in Nike shares.

Oh just another quick note for the Kaepernick supporters to ponder about their hero regarding the below article. Kaepernick wasn't in it for the money, right? It was only about the so-called "cause", right? LOL

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/oct/10/colin-kaepernick-files-trademark-his-likeness-comm/

Colin Kaepernick files to trademark likeness for commercial use

Colin Kaepernick has filed for a trademark for a likeness of his face and hair, through his company, Inked Flash.

The filing says “the intent is to use the image on everything from shampoo and hairspray to jewelry and lampshades,” ESPN’s Darren Rovell reported Wednesday.

• Options

When Kaepernick offers his vast array of products on cable TV, then some of you here can order the Colin Kaepernick lampshades to brighten up your home. LOL

Let us know how the shampoo and hairspray works out. LOL

• Options

I think everybody seeing clearly realize that K-Crap is a hypocrite by the fact that he said he would "stand" if a team would take him!

What a POS he is!!

• Options

@DIMEMAN said:
    I think everybody seeing clearly realize that K-Crap is a hypocrite by the fact that he said he would "stand" if a team would take him!

What a POS he is!!

Jon, it doesn't sound like you will be ordering the Colin Kaepernick shampoo or hairspray anytime soon. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:

@DIMEMAN said:

What a POS he is!!

Jon, it doesn't sound like you will be ordering the Colin Kaepernick shampoo or hairspray anytime soon. LOL

Right O.....Captain Obvious! ;)B)

• Options

Flipping the remote last night I hit the national anthem for the Lakers-Houston game. Pretty lady was singing from her heart and most of the players were staring at the ground.

Their right to do so of course, but they have a nice league in Albania which may be more to their liking.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Flipping the remote last night I hit the national anthem for the Lakers-Houston game. Pretty lady was singing from her heart and most of the players were staring at the ground.

Their right to do so of course, but they have a nice league in Albania which may be more to their liking.

They could play in the Venezuela professional basketball league and earn 35 cents per game, but I think with Sunday games they earn 10% more because of the government's generosity.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2019 5:28PM

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2019/03/22/report-nfl-settled-kaepernick-reid-grievance-for-less-than-10-million/

Report: NFL Settled Kaepernick-Reid Grievance for Less than $10 Million

So it turns out not to be the 80 to 100 million dollar figure that was being tossed around. However it's still some good booty for the kneeler and his lawyers.

Figuring that it was probably a 60/40 contingency agreement, then a 6 million dollar payoff isn't bad for doing some kneeling, while dissing our national anthem and flag.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2019/03/22/report-nfl-settled-kaepernick-reid-grievance-for-less-than-10-million/

Report: NFL Settled Kaepernick-Reid Grievance for Less than $10 Million

So it turns out not to be the 80 to 100 million dollar figure that was being tossed around. However it's still some good booty for the kneeler and his lawyers.

Figuring that it was probably a 60/40 contingency agreement, then a 6 million dollar payoff isn't bad for doing some kneeling, while dissing our national anthem and flag.

I read that and as much as I thought he should lose the case but knowing the NFL wanted it to go away I was glad that it wasn’t that ridiculous 80-100 million. The fraud got paid and at least now we hopefully won’t hear anything more from him.

• Options

Anonymous sources are worth nothing.

• Options

I won't be happy until he is living in a cardboard box in an alley in the worst part of New York City!!!

• Options
    45isodd45isodd Posts: 206 ✭✭✭

Sad that your happiness is predicated on someone else’s misfortune.

• Options

@45isodd said:
    Sad that your happiness is predicated on someone else’s misfortune.

Funny that you can call 10 Million Dollars a "misfortune". ;)

• Options

Last Nike purchase was 25 years ago. The once reliable running shoes became ill fitting and shoddy.

• Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

What a S stain. But, God Bless America.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options

I don't think most young people or perhaps many adults as well, realize the patriotism and courage of Betsy Ross. She was not only involved in of course making our flags, she made apparel and other items including the packaging of ammunition for our Continental Army.

If the British would have captured her, there is no question that she would have been executed. Betsy Ross understood all that and took the job anyway to honor and serve our country.

The concept of honoring and serving our country that a kneeling disease such as Colin Kaepernick will never understand.

• Options

PSA: make sure to take your NIkes off your feet before burning them. ;)

This discussion has been closed.