Home Sports Talk

Is Kaepernick a jerk?

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: craig44

Originally posted by: Justacommeman

Tony Larussa has thrown his hat in the ring saying he questions CK's sincerity and wouldnt allow such actions on any of his team's. Good on him.

Speaking of jerks.

mark

What are you talking about? Care to share your thoughts?

Larussa. Class A jerk and cheater.

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • JHS5120JHS5120 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: DIMEMAN
    Rather than bring all the quotes back up I will say this:

Galaxy27 - Great post!!! If everyone had this attitude we would be headed in a great direction to fixing this problem.

TNP777 - Those tweets you linked to were horrific!! I know this goes on and probably always will to some degree. People with those attitudes make me sick!

I personally don't like Obama, but not because he is black. But because of what he has done as President. I won't go any further than that on that.

It's not just Obama either (offensive language):

Colin Kaepernick

Leslie Jones

Harriet Tubman

Study finds 10,000 racist tweets each day

These aren't even older men, these are teenagers and young adults. There is a huge problem in this country that really is not being addressed
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss
  • PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    Reading the ugly tweets and posts on message boards is really shocking. If I thought the racism and hatred was hardwired into people, I would say there is no hope for ever resolving our differences. However, I don't think racism is a permanent condition, and I also don't think that anybody who is truly happy and content with their lives would feel the need to express those thoughts. There are many among us who have seen their standard of living diminish over time, the level of comfort that allows them to focus on the positives has gone away. A natural reaction for some is to lash out at the most convenient targets, the ones who are struggling in similar ways. It's much more difficult and detrimental to one's security to question and attack those with more power, but the truth is that wealth disparity is at its highest point in history, and unless huge reforms are put in place that will make it illegal for the super wealthy to buy elections and enact laws in their favor, and to the harm of the population as a whole, the gap will continue to grow.
  • craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: PSASAP

Reading the ugly tweets and posts on message boards is really shocking. If I thought the racism and hatred was hardwired into people, I would say there is no hope for ever resolving our differences. However, I don't think racism is a permanent condition, and I also don't think that anybody who is truly happy and content with their lives would feel the need to express those thoughts. There are many among us who have seen their standard of living diminish over time, the level of comfort that allows them to focus on the positives has gone away. A natural reaction for some is to lash out at the most convenient targets, the ones who are struggling in similar ways. It's much more difficult and detrimental to one's security to question and attack those with more power, but the truth is that wealth disparity is at its highest point in history, and unless huge reforms are put in place that will make it illegal for the super wealthy to buy elections and enact laws in their favor, and to the harm of the population as a whole, the gap will continue to grow.

I agree. Racism is not hard wired into people. look at small children play. They don't care at all. It is certainly learned behavior and often learned over generations.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Another officer involved shooting of an unarmed black man, this one in Oklahoma:

link
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another officer involved shooting of an unarmed black man, this one in Oklahoma:

link

Two cops were also shot today in New Jersey while apprehending a suspect who planted explosive devices in NY and NJ over the weekend, injuring many people.

In either case, neither story really belongs here on a Sports Talk message board.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    I disagree. This is what Kaepernick is protesting, the shooting of unarmed citizens by the police. Unfortunately, some have made it an issue about whether or not he should stand for the National Anthem, when this is the real issue.
  • bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think its fair to judge the level of racism on twitter . Most people on twitter are either idiots , narcissists , trolls and /or celebrities .

Twitter is millions of Stephen A Smiths with their volume knobs set on 10
    Originally posted by: bronco2078

I don't think its fair to judge the level of racism on twitter . Most people on twitter are either idiots , narcissists , trolls and /or celebrities .

Twitter is millions of Stephen A Smiths with their volume knobs set on 10

Oh, Stephen A. Smith. Ugh.

I disagree. This is what Kaepernick is protesting, the shooting of unarmed citizens by the police. Unfortunately, some have made it an issue about whether or not he should stand for the National Anthem, when this is the real issue.

No, CK has made an issue out of the anthem that wasn't there before. He actually has muddied the issue with the way he went about his little protest.

More of an Ann Coulter fan, are you?
    And this guy isn't fanning the flames of hatred, is he:

link
    Looks like the Miami PD needs to grow a thicker skin.

Link
    My eBay Store =)

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." Dr. Seuss

And this guy isn't fanning the flames of hatred, is he:

link

Not sure what you mean here. Not sure how he is fanning the flames of hatred here?

More of an Ann Coulter fan, are you?

Nope, don't like her either. A bit presumptuous of you no?

Originally posted by: JHS5120

Looks like the Miami PD needs to grow a thicker skin.

Link

I disagree with the union heads take on the first amendment, but if players want to protest good cops along with the bad, let's see how they like having no cops to keep them safe. Let them buy their own private security.

I disagree with the union heads take on the first amendment, but if players want to protest good cops along with the bad, let's see how they like having no cops to keep them safe. Let them buy their own private security.

If a cop doesn't want to do his job because a little bit of criticism, then he probably shouldn't be a cop.
    My eBay Store =)

Wow, Colin Kaepernick has been receiving death threats: Link

Reminds me of what Hank Aaron suffered. Terrorism and people who support terrorism like this should be ashamed.
    My eBay Store =)

If a cop doesn't want to do his job because a little bit of criticism, then he probably shouldn't be a cop.

No, if these players who are protesting think cops are doing a bad job, why would they want their protection? It is easy to make these little protests when you know there are people protecting you. Would it be quite so easy if you are on your own our there with no one to watch your 6?

Reminds me of what Hank Aaron suffered. Terrorism and people who support terrorism like this should be ashamed.

Yeah, CK's little protest is just like Aaron's situation. Very astute of you. Good grief.

No, if these players who are protesting think cops are doing a bad job, why would they want their protection? It is easy to make these little protests when you know there are people protecting you. Would it be quite so easy if you are on your own our there with no one to watch your 6?

"If you criticize a public service, you forfeit that public service." -craig44

What an entirely un-American thought. Kudos.
    My eBay Store =)

Yeah, CK's little protest is just like Aaron's situation. Very astute of you. Good grief.

Getting barraged with death threats and the "n-word" in private and public? I would say it's very similar, I'm glad you agree.

It can be an ugly country.

My eBay Store =)

Getting barraged with death threats and the "n-word" in private and public? I would say it's very similar, I'm glad you agree.

It can be an ugly country.

CK chose this with his little protest. He didn't have to do what he did.

Aaron did not disrespect anyone or anything with his actions. All he did was play ball.

There is a HUGE grand canyon sized difference between the two.

Aaron did not disrespect anyone or anything with his actions. All he did was play ball.

I bet the man who wrote this letter thought Hank Aaron was disrespecting him, Babe Ruth and every other white American who ever lived.

Warning: strong language
    My eBay Store =)

I bet the man who wrote this letter thought Hank Aaron was disrespecting him, Babe Ruth and every other white American who ever lived.

Warning: strong language

Did Aaron do anything other than play ball? If the answer is no, then he DID nothing to disrespect anyone. Racists may have disliked what was happening, but Aaron did nothing disrespectful.

CK on the other hand did DO something disrespectful. He performed a narcissistic, self aggrandizing act.

So yes, world's apart between the two.

He performed a narcissistic, self aggrandizing act.

The writer of that letter would probably say the same exact thing about Aaron.
    My eBay Store =)

Did Aaron do ANYTHING other than play baseball?

Depends who you ask. I bet the person who wrote that letter felt that Aaron wasn't playing baseball, but staying with a bad team past his prime just to make some sort of statement.
    My eBay Store =)

Yes Virginia, Hank Aaron did more than just play baseball:
    link

Yes Virginia, Hank Aaron did more than just play baseball:

link

What in the world does this article have to do with the question? When Aaron was an active player, chasing the home run record, did he do anything other than play baseball? Did he attempt any form of protest?

The answer is no. World's of difference

Depends who you ask. I bet the person who wrote that letter felt that Aaron wasn't playing baseball, but staying with a bad team past his prime just to make some sort of statement.

You are being obtuse. What I mean is did Aaron ever try a disrespectful little protest during his record breaking run, or did he just play ball? We both know the answer. The answer just doesn't suit your narrative

You are being obtuse. What I mean is did Aaron ever try a disrespectful little protest during his record breaking run, or did he just play ball? We both know the answer. The answer just doesn't suit your narrative

Well, to the most demented and racist Americans, Hank Aaron wasn't JUST playing baseball, he was making a symbolic and disrespectful gesture.

Let me ask you something, is Colin Kaepernick just kneeling? Or is it of your opinion that he is making a symbolic and disrespectful gesture?
    My eBay Store =)

Jim Varney made a career out of playing a lovable idiot. David, you need to work on the lovable part.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jim Varney made a career out of playing a lovable idiot. David, you need to work on the lovable part.

Even if you disagree with his viewpoint, there's no need to personally insult the guy. Geez.

I always find it rather ironic how intolerant those who espouse tolerance can be when the opinion expressed does not fit their perspective or preconceived notions.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Really? I think your true colors are coming out.

Well, to the most demented and racist Americans, Hank Aaron wasn't JUST playing baseball, he was making a symbolic and disrespectful gesture.

Let me ask you something, is Colin Kaepernick just kneeling? Or is it of your opinion that he is making a symbolic and disrespectful gesture?

I'm not speaking to the most racist and demented Americans, I'm speaking to you.

You refuse to address the topic because it doesn't fit your narrative. Of course Aaron and CK are worlds apart because they are totally different situations. CK chose his path, Aaron was forced on his .

I'm not speaking to the most racist and demented Americans, I'm speaking to you.

You refuse to address the topic because it doesn't fit your narrative. Of course Aaron and CK are worlds apart because they are totally different situations. CK chose his path, Aaron was forced on his .

I have addressed the topic multiple times.

To me, he was playing baseball. To most Americans today he was just playing baseball. But we're not talking about most Americans today. We're talking about Hank Aaron's critics. They're the thin-skinned racists who are getting their panties in a wad. To those people Hank Aaron was not just playing baseball. You know that.

Is Colin Kaepernick just kneeling? To me, he is. I would venture to most Americans in 40 years he would be too. However, we're not talking about me, we're talking about his critics. So answer, he is just kneeling?
    My eBay Store =)

I have addressed the topic multiple times.

To me, he was playing baseball. To most Americans today he was just playing baseball. But we're not talking about most Americans today. We're talking about Hank Aaron's critics. They're the thin-skinned racists who are getting their panties in a wad. To those people Hank Aaron was not just playing baseball. You know that.

Is Colin Kaepernick just kneeling? To me, he is. I would venture to most Americans in 40 years he would be too. However, we're not talking about me, we're talking about his critics. So answer, he is just kneeling?

Wrong again. CK has said publicly that this little publicity stunt of his is a form of protest. So, no, CK is NOT just innocently kneeling during the anthem. There is a reason or meaning in him kneeling.

Aaron on the other hand had no protest behind what he was doing. He was playing a sport and racist people projected meaning onto his actions.

Totally different .

...racist people projected meaning onto his actions.

Exactly what I was trying to get at, thank you.

Jason
    My eBay Store =)

...racist people projected meaning onto his actions.

Exactly what I was trying to get at, thank you.

Jason

You are missing the point completely. CK announced that this is a protest. Aaron did no such thing.

A totally and completely different situation. Really not an argument you can win.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really not an argument you can win.

That has never stopped anyone on the sports forum before image

mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Skin2Skin2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭
    It is good to have dialogue on matters such as these. There are no easy answers, and most of the answers are just one person's opinions. Facts are twisted, because all the variables are simply out of control or unaccounted for...so any of the facts put forth on either side can only hold so much weight. It isn't like in the VALID baseball measurements that clearly show Ichiro is actually closer to being the 1,200th best in hitter in history, as opposed to a top 100 as some ignorant fans claim.

Other than that, carry on.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by: Skin2
    It is good to have dialogue on matters such as these. There are no easy answers, and most of the answers are just one person's opinions. Facts are twisted, because all the variables are simply out of control or unaccounted for...so any of the facts put forth on either side can only hold so much weight. It isn't like in the VALID baseball measurements that clearly show Ichiro is actually closer to being the 1,200th best in hitter in history, as opposed to a top 100 as some ignorant fans claim.

My favorite poster Skin is checking in!! I like it!
    Originally posted by: Skin2

You are so right about ichiro, but that is another can of worms

Jerry Rice finally came to his senses, and now supports Kaepernick:

link
    I'm still staying out of this battle worn thread but still think Kap is a disgrace.
    I'm still staying out of this battle worn thread but still think Kap is a disgrace.

Jerry Rice finally came to his senses, and now supports Kaepernick:

link

Well, there you go an athlete caved to social pressure. Touching. the most interesting thing in that article is that the civil rights activist apparently does not believe all lives matter, only black lives. Doesn't sound like what a social activist should sound like now does it. I would guess it was people like that who "showed rice the light" to me it sounds racist and Malthusian. Scary.

As if Jerry Rice can't think for himself. The killings have not stopped, and the excuses and denials are becoming intolerable, even to the most politically disinclined individuals. The tipping point was when Michael Jordan got involved, and that was months ago.

As if Jerry Rice can't think for himself. The killings have not stopped, and the excuses and denials are becoming intolerable, even to the most politically disinclined individuals. The tipping point was when Michael Jordan got involved, and that was months ago.

So rice wasn't thinking for himself during his first tweet? Doesn't it seem more likely he was originally thinking for himself, and then was indoctrinated into the cause afterwards. Seems like the most common chain of events

As far as the killings, many are justified as police lives are in jeopardy. Not all but many. Keep in mind that an unarmed man can kill you very quickly and easily.

This discussion has been closed.