Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Kaepernick a jerk?

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 21, 2017 8:28PM

Largely agree Tim. Baggage and some question marks. Without the baggage he is already signed on past performance alone.

Wouldn't it be wild if Jimmy G doesn't resign and the Pat's sign Kap. They are famous for resurrection scrapheap projects although the Pat's triology of power leans in an opposite directions. No bigger Pat's fan here but It find it rather ironic if they made that move ; ). The presidential tweets would be off the hook and it would prove what I already know. Football first in Foxboro.

M

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    CoinstartledCoinstartled Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭✭

San Francisco was the right city for him. Maybe LA would work. Rest of the nation is two gritty for the snowflake.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2017 8:55AM

@Coinstartled said:
    San Francisco was the right city for him. Maybe LA would work. Rest of the nation is two gritty for the snowflake.

I've seen Kaepernick take some tough shots over the years. Most mobile QBs do, so I don't think toughness is the issue here, Mglicker.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Al Davis was alive he'd sign CK to "Da Raiders". Al loved controversial soldiers, especially if it riled the Commissioner (Rozelle) like he did back in his day.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Right wrong or indifferent teams don't want anything to do with Kap and it's 100% over his Stunt that he pulled last season, bottom line teams don't want the side show of stupendous media attention interrupting football operations that will come with signing this average QB. He stood strong with his " Beliefs" wanting change and decided NOT to vote in arguably the biggest election ever, furthermore he now puts his "Beliefs" aside so he can get a contract? The hypocrisy with him is undeniable! It's lunacy lol

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's true. Teams just don't want to deal with the side show. I don't think fans would be so quick to get behind such a hypocrite as well.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2017 11:35AM

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

I've seen Kaepernick take some tough shots over the years. Most mobile QBs do, so I don't think toughness is the issue here, Jim Nash.

Physical toughness is not the issue with this player.

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    edited March 22, 2017 11:38AM

I personally don't think Kap is a jerk. Just a dumb idiot who meant well, but was too dumb to properly execute the communication of his cause (whatever that is). He accomplished nothing, insulted law enforcement with those stupid socks, disrespected veterans, and embarrassed himself by admitting he didn't even care enough to vote. If he's a side show, he's the one who invented it. That said, the guy sucks now. If he doesn't get picked up by a team, it's because of that and nothing more.

• Options
    edited March 22, 2017 2:17PM

@Coinstartled said:

@grote15 said:

@Coinstartled said:

I've seen Kaepernick take some tough shots over the years. Most mobile QBs do, so I don't think toughness is the issue here, Jim Nash.

Physical toughness is not the issue with this player.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

Agree.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Agree.

Thanks, MG.. :p

• Options

Who is MG. My name is Ernie Leobschütz.

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Who is MG. My name is Ernie Leobschütz.

It's a good thing ol' Ernie is not in witness protection~he'd be very easy to spot, LOL..

• Options
    edited March 25, 2017 1:44PM

Ernie DiGregorio. now that was a story.

• Options

Check out his latest ignorant tweet about Law Enforcement, yea he is a jerk and a few other choice descriptions

• Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Check out his latest ignorant tweet about Law Enforcement, yea he is a jerk and a few other choice descriptions

Like an "unemployed" jerk. :D

• Options

I love that NO NFL team is signing this scumbag

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I love that NO NFL team is signing this scumbag

LOVE IT!!!!!

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

I imagine the people that "love" that CK isn't employed would feel completely differently if the NFL owners blacklisted players that got together at the end of games and prayed together. I mean why do they have to be so public about their faith? I watch football and post game shows to be entertained not to have religion thrown in in my face. I get enough religion in my day to day life, why can't these athletes understand the football field is not the appropriate place for those types of gestures? I imagine those arguments don't seem so legitimate when you support the action the players are performing.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    I imagine the people that "love" that CK isn't employed would feel completely differently if the NFL owners blacklisted players that got together at the end of games and prayed together. I mean why do they have to be so public about their faith? I watch football and post game shows to be entertained not to have religion thrown in in my face. I get enough religion in my day to day life, why can't these athletes understand the football field is not the appropriate place for those types of gestures? I imagine those arguments don't seem so legitimate when you support the action the players are performing.

Robb

Boy are you off base!! How can you compare disrespecting the Flag and showing ones faith.

The first one is VERY BAD and the second is VERY GOOD!!

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:

Robb

Completely different situations. Players get shunned for many reasons. Standing for the National Anthem is an established custom here, and refusing to do so, may be an individuals legal right, but it is disrespectful to the country that give us the opportunities it does.

These guys are paid entertainers and if they don't follow the "script" they will not be part of the "show".

Consequences happen for behavior. He knew people would not like it.

If I owned a team, I would immediately release any player who refused to stand for the Anthem.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

@fergie23 said:
    I imagine the people that "love" that CK isn't employed would feel completely differently if the NFL owners blacklisted players that got together at the end of games and prayed together.

You used the word "blacklist", but there's no reason to think that's what's happening. Each owner is, for excellent reason, concerned that hiring CK would alienate his team's fans and cost him money. Being in the entertainment business with the sole objective of making money, hiring CK is, probably, a bad business decision. I imagine the exact opposite situation would apply to blacklisting players who pray; in that case a conspiracy to not hire players who pray would probably alienate fans and cost them money and be a bad business decision.

Other than that, though, terrific analogy.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options

Fergie, I got no problem with any player praying, I especially think it's nice when players kneel and pray when another player gets hurt. Totally different than protesting on your bosses dime.

• Options
    edited September 23, 2017 8:57PM

While I do think that Kaepernick will have a tougher time getting signed due to the off field controversy, you can also be sure if Kaepernick were a better QB, he'd be playing in the NFL. The goal of any team is to win and if Kaepernick were Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees or even Philip Rivers, he'd be playing on Sunday.

• Options

@grote15 said:
    While I do think that Kaepernick will have a tougher time getting signed due to the off field controversy, you can also be sure if Kaepernick were a better QB, he'd be playing in the NFL. The goal of any team is to win and if Kaepernick were Aaron Rodgers, Drew Brees or even Philip Rivers, he'd be playing on Sunday.

Probably sad but true!

• Options
    garnettstylegarnettstyle Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 24, 2017 9:45AM

Sad

IT CAN'T BE A TRUE PLAYOFF UNLESS THE BIG TEN CHAMPIONS ARE INCLUDED

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

I think fans would ignore CK's protest if he was winning games. Would he initially cause a headache with some portion of the fan base? Undoubtedly but most fans just want to see their team compete and win. Michael Vick got a second chance in the league and what he did was much worse than what CK has done. That said I do understand why CK doesn't have a job in the NFL but I just get tired of the hypocrisy. It has nothing to do with doing something not football related on the field and everything to do with not agreeing with why the player is engaging in his non-football related actions.

Robb

• Options
    edited September 25, 2017 4:07PM

The Cowboys would sign an ax murderer if it helped them win.

The threshold may be higher for a player that comes with baggage or distractions, but make no mistake, if a player is playing at a high level, a team will sign him.

As the old saying goes, winning is a great deodorant.

• Options

@grote15 said:
    The Cowboys would sign a convicted ax murderer if it helped them win.

fixed it for you

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    As the old saying goes, winning is a great deodorant.

So that's why I smell so damn good.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes he is.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

The NFL finally got it right and Kaepernicks little protest is over. was it worth it Colin?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited May 23, 2018 10:55AM

It's not over. Players can still kneel. Now they will just get fined.

It's the owners league so they can do what they want. No complaints here. He is still in for a big pay day down the road.

m

• Options
    KkathylKkathyl Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spoiled Brat who does not know he is a Grown A.. Man. (insert pacafer & safety pin here)

Best place to buy !
    Bronze Associate member

• Options

N.F.L. players will be allowed to stay in the locker room during the national anthem, but their teams will be fined by the league if they go onto the field and kneel, according to new rules adopted by owners on Wednesday in an effort to defuse an issue that escalated last season into a national debate catalyzed by President Trump.

Players had previously been required to be on the field for the anthem. Commissioner Roger Goodell said that owners voted unanimously to rescind that rule and to fine teams if their players are on the field or sidelines but do not “show respect for the flag and the anthem.”

“It was unfortunate that on-field protests created a false perception among many that thousands of N.F.L. players were unpatriotic,” Goodell said in a statement. “This is not and was never the case.”

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

So if it had no impact on their ratings or advertiser money, why did they change the policy?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/05/23/nfl-adopts-policy-to-fine-club-if-players-and-personnel-dont-stand-for-national-anthem.html

NFL adopts policy to fine teams if players and personnel don't stand for national anthem

Yea, this will solve everything. LOL

• Options

Goodell is a moron.

“It was unfortunate that on-field protests created a false perception among many that thousands of N.F.L. players were unpatriotic,” Goodell said

• Options

@Coinstartled said:
    Goodell is a moron.

“It was unfortunate that on-field protests created a false perception among many that thousands of N.F.L. players were unpatriotic,” Goodell said

What I never quite understood is why Goodell and many NFL owners placated and basically bowed down to these kneeling players? What, like there's a shortage of football players in America and these protesting players couldn't be easily replaced?

These protesting players should been perhaps heavily fined for the first incident, and cut for the second incident...and if some of the league's players quit over it, then so be it. I'm sure the number of players quitting, considering the big money they make, and most of them basically have no other discernible employment skills, that it would have been less than 1%.

The hammer should have been applied to Kaepernick immediately, and this problem would have been quickly solved and over with. Goodell allowed this to fester, and it's still going to fester with this new "policy" which only further alienates fans from the NFL.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:
    Goodell is a moron.

What I never quite understood is why Goodell and many NFL owners placated and basically bowed down to these kneeling players? What, like there's a shortage of football players in America and these protesting players couldn't be easily replaced?

These protesting players should been perhaps heavily fined for the first incident, and cut for the second incident...and if some of the league's players quit over it, then so be it. I'm sure the number of players quitting, considering the big money they make, and most of them basically have no other discernible employment skills, that it would have been less than 1%.

The hammer should have been applied to Kaepernick immediately, and this problem would have been quickly solved and over with. Goodell allowed this to fester, and it's still going to fester with this new "policy" which only further alienates fans from the NFL.

Because like a lot of fellow Americans they didn't have a problem with it. Many supported the players. Many didn't

m

• Options
    edited May 23, 2018 12:57PM

The players though didn't know what they were protesting. Many went along with the charade in the name of team unity. I suspect much of it can be attributed to concussion syndrome as no sane person stomps on the golden goose.

• Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭✭✭

stop playing the anthem at sporting events , problem solved. I mean they could have stopped 10 years ago how would I know , I keep fresh batteries in the remote so if the game clock isn't ticking presumably I have it on another channel anyway.

They never showed it until recently when the government started bribing them anyway

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:
    Goodell is a moron.

• Options

They changed the policy because it’s flat out wrong to be allowed to advertise and throw your personal beliefs down people’s throats while your on the clock and on national TV. You watch how many players will come out of the locker room now and kneel and happily get fined because they believe in what they are doing......IT WILL BE ZERO because when there is money involved these clowns will put the brakes on just like Kap and Reid who publicly stated they will now stand!! Ofcourse now they will stand BECAUSE THEY WANT A JOB! I like the policy and it’s the best answer to this issue, come out and stand or stay in the locker room, no harm no fowl. Sorry to the haters but the NFL got it right here

• Options
    edited May 23, 2018 2:13PM

LOL SteveK you are crazy if you think this new policy will further alienate fans, why do you think this? Now fans get to straight up turn the game on and not have to deal with the charade of crap between watching a bunch of overpaid crybabies protesting and the announcers and media using it to fill up useless air time

• Options
    edited May 23, 2018 2:37PM

@bronco2078 said:
    stop playing the anthem at sporting events , problem solved. I mean they could have stopped 10 years ago how would I know , I keep fresh batteries in the remote so if the game clock isn't ticking presumably I have it on another channel anyway.

They never showed it until recently when the government started bribing them anyway

It’s one of the reasons I’m so unaffected by the whole affair. I haven’t seen a national anthem on TV in years. I sure wasn’t going to start watching the anthem because the WH and the media were having a tizzy over it. Even at games how many people have the sight lines necessary to see who is standing or not? Not many

Anyways if the NFL wants to enforce this I have zero issue with it. It’s their ball

mark

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 23, 2018 2:43PM

@perkdog said:
    LOL SteveK you are crazy if you think this new policy will further alienate fans, why do you think this? Now fans get to straight up turn the game on and not have to deal with the charade of crap between watching a bunch of overpaid crybabies protesting and the announcers and media using it to fill up useless air time

I think it's too little, too late. If they'd done this when the controversy started, the league wouldn't have lost me as a fan. This isn't bringing me back to tuning in a game (or fantasy shows, NFL Live, etc.) for the foreseeable future. The NFL caved to the tantrums for far too long, I'm not sure what they can do at this point to win back the fans they lost. Now those on the other side of the debate will start tuning out to protest the mean owners.

• Options

@stevek said:

@Coinstartled said:
    Goodell is a moron.

Totally agree with you Steve. Glad to see this......let the bums get a job somewhere else. Money talks.

I hope Kap never plays again!!!!!

• Options
    edited May 23, 2018 3:16PM

That didn't take long. Jets CEO will pay the players fine if they take a knee. I'm fine with this as well

I do not like imposing any club-specific rules,” Johnson said. “If somebody [on the Jets] takes a knee, that fine will be borne by the organization, by me, not the players. I never want to put restrictions on the speech of our players.

“Do I prefer that they stand? Of course. But I understand if they felt the need to protest. There are some big, complicated issues that we’re all struggling with, and our players are on the front lines. I don’t want to come down on them like a ton of bricks, and I won’t. There will be no club fines or suspensions or any sort of repercussions. If the team gets fined, that’s just something I’ll have to bear.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/jets-christopher-johnson-somebody-takes-knee-fine-will-borne-193305660.html

mark

• Options

@perkdog said:

This "new policy" will further alienate fans. I'm not going to fully explain why because my explanation would involve politics, and as you know, political discussion is not allowed on this forum...and that's fine with me.

Suffice to say that we shall see what happens this upcoming season. You will see that this "new policy" by the NFL is not going to make this issue go away, and it may even exacerbate the situation. Especially because there is a midterm election cycle coming up in November, which we all know is going to get quite heated.

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    That didn't take long. Jets CEO will pay the players fine if they take a knee. I'm fine with this as well

I do not like imposing any club-specific rules,” Johnson said. “If somebody [on the Jets] takes a knee, that fine will be borne by the organization, by me, not the players. I never want to put restrictions on the speech of our players.

“Do I prefer that they stand? Of course. But I understand if they felt the need to protest. There are some big, complicated issues that we’re all struggling with, and our players are on the front lines. I don’t want to come down on them like a ton of bricks, and I won’t. There will be no club fines or suspensions or any sort of repercussions. If the team gets fined, that’s just something I’ll have to bear.”

https://sports.yahoo.com/jets-christopher-johnson-somebody-takes-knee-fine-will-borne-193305660.html

mark

All I can say is that Johnson is a jerk and is just brown-nosing the protesters. If I was Goodell ....... I would say fine if this happens you forfeit the game.

This discussion has been closed.