Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jon, interesting error, and a good date to boot!

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭✭✭

I received an e-mail this afternoon from JJ Teaparty; they will be handling the sale of the entire SurfCity Barber collection. The sale will begin in Baltimore. I wonder how realistic the pricing will be.......

I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    Jeff, Nows a good time to not care about registry rank. I'm sure there will be a feeding frenzy of wealthy Everyman collectors. (Isn't that an oxymoron?) I hope the folks at Teaparty make a ton of money!

Paesan
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jeff/Paesan - Wonder when we'll get to know what dates were in quarter and dime sets?

Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, PC55:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options

Jeff/Paesan - I wonder when we'll find out what dates were in the quarter and dime sets?

Edit: Didn't think it worked the first time.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can already say unless Don is willing to loose money on some of his coins I'm not a player as he paid some absolutely ballistic numbers for some of the coins in his set. He was also able to add a Plus grade to his set after it was retired! Wonder how he was able to do that? image
  • Options

Originally posted by: paesan Jeff, Nows a good time to not care about registry rank. I'm sure there will be a feeding frenzy of wealthy Everyman collectors. (Isn't that an oxymoron?) I hope the folks at Teaparty make a ton of money! Paesan

Lenny- I don't think there are many (if any) wealthy folk on the Barber Half Registry set. I don't think you'll be seeing a bunch of Don's coins finding new sets in the Registry.

There does seem to be an awful lot of people who purchase nice Barber Halves in PCGS holders that don't participate in the Registry. It's hard to say if they're putting together date sets or full sets but choosing to ignore the registry.

I won't be spending top dollar on anything from Don's set.

• Options
    Jeff, I sure wouldn't mind adding a few coins to my collection if the price is right, but I can't blame JJ and would expect to see top shelf 63-65 prices for many of the better date coins. I tend to agree with Darrell's take, though. I don't think Don will lose a dime on any of the coins, weak market or not, and I think more registry people will be scrambling to fill holes than you expect.

Interestingly, Don asked me to sell him a few pieces recently, so I may be able to see them again, with a new price tag. I wonder what prompted him to sell now, when just a few months ago he assked to buy about 7 pieces.

Paesan
  • Options

Jeff, I sure wouldn't mind adding a few coins to my collection if the price is right, but I can't blame JJ and would expect to see top shelf 63-65 prices for many of the better date coins. I tend to agree with Darrell's take, though. I don't think Don will lose a dime on any of the coins, weak market or not, and I think more registry people will be scrambling to fill holes than you expect.

Interestingly, Don asked me to sell him a few pieces recently, so I may be able to see them again, with a new price tag. I wonder what prompted him to sell now, when just a few months ago he assked to buy about 7 pieces.

Paesan

• Options

Don told me he was going to focus on Colonials...now I must agree in quality that is a much more challenging field!

• Options

Darrell - A plus grade added after his set was retired? Must have been a clerical error.

Pics for this AM, from Mowgli's collection:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Verne, The coin was graded after his set was retired. Perhaps he was able to upgrade his, just don't know.
  • Options

Originally posted by: paesan I tend to agree with Darrell's take, though. I don't think Don will lose a dime on any of the coins, weak market or not, and I think more registry people will be scrambling to fill holes than you expect.

If JJ puts them up at today's market prices the majority will sell. I have no idea what Don paid for his coins, but if the coins list for retail++ all but a few rare keys may sit around for a while.

• Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don loves coins. His integrity is beyond question.

• Options

Originally posted by: Nic Don loves coins. His integrity is beyond question.

No question about that. My message meant to convey that unless Don is willing to sell at a loss many could be a tough sell. Most of us Everyman Collectors are coin rich and cash poor.

Darrell. is your icon rotation a glitch in the new website software or experimentation?

• Options

Jeff...evidintly the new software did not have my old one and it defaulted to the 1st one on the list. I definately am going to have to find another....clown was better than the old bag! image

• Options

Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    What a sweet 96!
  • Options
    Watch for some registry shakeups as some of Don's coins are on their way to new homes. Pretty sure Don's top rating is about to be blown outta the water!
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Last week, I received a phone call from Dimeman. He had been speaking with Gail at
    JJ Teaparty and she mentioned that they had acquired the Surf City Barber collections.

I called Gail and she told me everything was sent back to PCGS ( these were all AU 58's )
    ...so, I would imagine they were trying to squeeze out a few "+'s" .... she also mentioned
    that the sets were then being sent to CAC. The list of coins would be available immediately
    prior to the Baltimore convention. Once the list is published, they would commence selling.
    The coins will be in Baltimore.

I was urged to get my want list updated...(which I did) .... I have no idea what Dimes or
    Quarters will be available. I sent my upgrade list anyway. You never know. I have a few
    XF Dimes needing to be upgraded as well as a few of the semi key Quarters. I must be
    assuming quite a lot, though.

Fear not, I am only after 2 Halves. We all know which one will be the most sought after !
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Justin - I agree, what a great look on the '96. But it looks like a 45 to me.

Darrell - If Don's top rating is overtaken by his own coins going to other sets, is that so bad? It's just a matter of who will get out the checkbook.

Pics for this AM, a spare from the Stash, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Mike,I got 2 I needed, The key was already sold,3 I needed I couldn't justify the price. I might have purchased the plus grade that was a POP 1 but I doubt it. The 92 58+ was offered for $2895. (Shock emoticon here!) That is the 1 date in the series I believe will become readily available in 58+ in due time.

Verne...not at all. Don's set was already beat in my mind as I think any grade could have been added to the set missing 1 coin and passed Don's.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin...The 92 58+ was offered for $2895. (Shock emoticon here!)...

• Options
    Originally posted by: LogPotato

Originally posted by: amwldcoin...The 92 58+ was offered for $2895. (Shock emoticon here!)...

It sold! But not to me.
  • Options
  • Options
    UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine were all much cheaper!
  • Options
    I picked up a nice upgrade for my 1908 O Half from UltraHighRelief last week, a PCGS AU 58 with a Green Bean:

I've owned several AU 55's that were submitted raw, but I finally gave up on finding a raw 58 and bought a nice looking slabbed one. A new ray of Sunshine in my set!
  • Options
    Very nice, Jeff.
  • Options

The Sunshine sets are always really nice to view.
    I picked up the 1894 - Philadelphia in AU 58 from
    Dave a few months ago.

Nice pick up Jeff. Couldn't wait for Surf City huh ?
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Darrell - Only $2895?

Jeff - Nice upgrade.

Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, PC45:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Originally posted by: MFH

The Sunshine sets are always really nice to view.
    I picked up the 1894 - Philadelphia in AU 58 from
    Dave a few months ago.

Nice pick up Jeff. Couldn't wait for Surf City huh ?

Good pickup on the source, Mike!
  • Options
    Well, I finally connected with Gail at JJTeaparty.

Also picked up one Half - another upgrade - 1898-S in PCGS 58 ( unsure of CAC ).
    ( this image is on Don's Registry Set - I'll copy and paste later on ).

Lastly: A few Quarters - all upgrades : (All AU 58's. )
    1894-S, 1907-D, 1908-D, & 1908-S.

I had others sent as well, however, I liked my AU 55's better. Nothing wrong
    with the ones I sent back, they just didn't fit into my set as I had hoped !

The above Quarters are in my set already in AU 55 - I am going to consign some of
    these to Liz. I think I'll be better off working it this way.

Images will be taken this Spring. I have the true view Half image so far, unless Don Willis
    had other Tru Views taken of his minor coinage. Once I get the coins in hand, I'll run the
    Certificate numbers and copy and post whatever I find.

That's about it for the moment. Off to the Vet's for Max's annual check up and then pick up
    Ginja and go to the Dog Park for their daily dog fest.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, I finally connected with Gail at JJTeaparty.

Picked up one Dime - upgrade - 1902-O in PCGS 58 CAC - sight unseen.

Also picked up one Half - another upgrade - 1898-S in PCGS 58 ( unsure of CAC ).
    ( this image is on Don's Registry Set - I'll copy and paste later on ).

Lastly: Nine Quarters - all upgrades : (All AU 58's. Am not sure about which are CAC . )
    1894-S, 1903-O, 1904-O 1906-O, 1907-D, 1908-D, 1908-S, 1911-D and lastly, 1914-S.
    The 1914-S was much more than I expected ... But as I thought about it, when if ever will
    I ever see another in 58 ? Not like I can go to the 1914-S AU 58 Store and pick another one !!

The above Quarters are in my set already in AU 55 - I am going to consign these to Liz.
    I think I'll be better off working it this way.

Images will be taken this Spring. I have the true view Half image so far, unless Don Willis
    had other Tru Views taken of his minor coinage. Once I get the coins in hand, I'll run the
    Certificate numbers and copy and post whatever I find.

That's about it for the moment. Off to the Vet's for Max's annual check up and then pick up
    Ginja and go to the Dog Park for their daily dog fest.

Nice shopping trip.

I can't wait to see them.

Good luck
    Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    Quite the haul Mike! I bought Don's 01-O + 01-S Half's.
  • Options
    The 98-s 01-o and 01-s all look like nice halves.
  • Options
    Lenny instructed me to sit tight- I did. No new purchases. My bank account thanks you Lenny.

Perhaps PCGS needs to establish a new collecting category for folks like me, "Little Boy Sets".
  • Options
    Jeff...Unlike you I believe there will always be enough of a following to support the midgrade Barber Halves. The market ebbs and tides with those who panic and sell cheap and those who are patient and get their price! There is also a huge spread pricewise between the Dogs and the nice coins. You can see several of those examples side by side(same auction) in heritage prices realized.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa

Lenny instructed me to sit tight- I did. No new purchases. My bank account thanks you Lenny.

Perhaps PCGS needs to establish a new collecting category for folks like me, "Little Boy Sets".

I guess I have a toddler set image
  • Options
    Mike & Darrell - Congrats on the purchases from Surf City. I like the originality of both the 01-O and 01-S halves, and look forward to viewing the qtrs.

Pics for this AM, from Jim's collection, NGC-40:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Any way to get carriage returns to work with this new system?
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    TwobitcollectorTwobitcollector Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Positive BST Transactions with:
    INYNWHWeTrust-TexasNationals,ajaan,blu62vette
    coinJP, Outhaul ,illini420,MICHAELDIXON, Fade to Black,epcjimi1,19Lyds,SNMAN,JerseyJoe, bigjpst, DMWJR , lordmarcovan, Weiss,Mfriday4962,UtahCoin,Downtown1974,pitboss,RichieURich,Bullsitter,JDsCoins,toyz4geo,jshaulis, mustanggt, SNMAN
  • Options
    Nice looking 25C- looks like an upgrade cantidate.
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see everyone's Surf City Purchases, I believe that most (if not all) coins will have that wow factor.

Congrats. Gentlemen (& Ladies)!
    Craig

• Options
    Gail from Teaparty called this morning; I bit on a couple I needed. I'll still have a second tier set compared to the Big Dogs, but it makes me feel a little better that I'm still walking in their footsteps. As long as I can smell their rear ends I'm in the hunt.
  • Options
    Originally posted by: JeffMTampa...As long as I can smell their rear ends I'm in the hunt.

image That had me cracking up! image

• Options
    Well after much hounding from Mike I have started uploading pictures of my coins. Turns out I didn't have to resize them! YEAH! I have uploaded pictures of the 1st 20 coins in my set and opened it back up.

My Everyman Set of Barber Half's soon to be passed again!
  • Options
    Originally posted by: amwldcoin
    Well after much hounding from Mike I have started uploading pictures of my coins. Turns out I didn't have to resize them! YEAH! I have uploaded pictures of the 1st 20 coins in my set and opened it back up.

My Everyman Set of Barber Half's soon to be passed again!

I'm speechless. Excuse me while I take my collection to the trash.
  • Options

Jeff,

Justin and I will be waiting at the curb when you toss out those widgets !! image
    Lol
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Ok, Darrell. Finish posting your images. And, please leave them up for awhile so we can enjoy them. Also looking to see your newps,
    although I know that Don had the True Views.

Ok, I'll get off the iPad and add my new Half ...

Edit:

Well, now my Lap Top isn't allowing me access to both
    PCGS and Photobucket. Back to square one. Again. Arrr !!
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Ok, Darrell. Finish posting your images. And, please leave them up for awhile so we can enjoy them. Also looking to see your newps,

although I know that Don had the True Views.

Ok, I'll get off the iPad and add my new Half ...

Dang! You sound like a crabby old man that can't be satisfied! Bullwhip out and all! imageimageimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file