Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I received my latest 2 NGC crossovers back from PCGS today. First, my 1902 S PCGS AU 55 (was a NGC 55):

Next, my 1906 S PCGS AU 53 (was a NGC 55):

I now have 2 NGC coins left in my set; a '08 O and the '09. I'm hoping to have that fixed in a few weeks.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    My registry set of Barber halves now has the virtual album display. Used the auto-fill feature, and worked well except I had to manually do the 96-P. Cool stuff!
    Dr. Pete
  • Options

<< <i>My registry set of Barber halves now has the virtual album display. Used the auto-fill feature, and worked well except I had to manually do the 96-P. Cool stuff! >>

Let me be the first (among many, I'm sure) to say your set looks absolutely amazing displayed in the album. Even 100 years ago that would be a very tough set to assemble (if not impossible). Thanks for sharing!! image
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

That was a treat, Pete !!

All beauties... My favorite ? 1906-S. Sweet !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike - Congrats on the 3/2 newp.

FTB - Nice purchase. Were these part of a larger group?

Jeff - Congrats on the crosses. Love that 02-S.

Peter - What a great, eye-appealing collection, and the virtual album really presents them well.

Pics for this AM, a toughie from Jim M's collection, PC40:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Very sweet 97-S.
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's what I'm happy about. With 20 seconds left and what seemed to be a certain Marshawn Lynch score and Super Bowl MVP, he was never given the chance. So last night I didn't have to hear a reticent punk turn into a loquacious braggadocious big mouth with hundreds of mikes in his face. I didn't have to see it or hear it. I love that kind of karma!

Agree with LogPotato, that's a 97-S to be proud of.

Paesan
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    FTB - Great pickups....and absolutely cannot beat those prices!

Lenny - Could not agree with you more. Not a Pats fan by any means but was happy with last night's result.

Vern - Love that 97-S half....and LOVE the 95 O quarters you posted on the last page.

Darrel - Thanks for the tip on how to "unstick" the thread. Works great! For those who may not have heard, if you just change the page number in the web address you can see "stuck" messages.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    The new digital album feature is cool. I was able to put my registry set of Barber halves in an album with minimal effort on my part. Luckily, the tools they provide are easy to use and my whole set has been imaged by PCGS. For some reason, the 1896 had to be done manually by me. I haven't played around with the background colors or adding text, if possible.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    Sorry for the double post. The thread got hung up.
    Dr. Pete
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here are a couple of circ. halves I picked up for a good price last year and never sent in for grading.

• Options
    Paesan - Couldn't agree with you more on the Super Bowl (or as I like to say, the season finale of the WWF, or WWE I guess it is now).

Ron - two really nice pickups, thanks for posting.

Pics for this AM, haven't posted a dime for a while, PC30 and PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern,

The AU 55 Dime - 96-O - is right up my alley !
    I'm looking to replace my XF example. Very tough
    coin to locate in any grade !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Time to bump the thread. A couple of new raw eBay pickups- first a 1899 S 50C:

It looks to me like nice original toning with color. I'm going to guess this will come back as a AU 53.

Next up a 1911 50C:

I love the toning on this coin. I bought it thinking it might be a AU 58(+), but after looking at it closely I don't see a break in the luster. I'm thinking this might come back as a MS 63. Any other opinions on the grades/ originality of the toning? I really enjoy hearing other opinions (even if you hate the coin).

Both will be off to PCGS in a few days with a group for grading.
  • Options
    Mike - Congrats on the upcoming newp, an 09-O qtr I'm guessing? Look forward to pics.

Jeff - Two very nice looking raw newps. You do well with raw coins. I'll guess mid AU and low MS respectively.

Pics for this AM, the key in 58 from Joe's tremendous dime set (haven't heard from you lately in the forum):

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Seems the thread sticks in different places, for different people. Stuck for me now. Sure do like Darrell's solution.

Anyway, extra set of pics for this AM, formerly from Scott's collection, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    DrPete...Congratulations ! You were the 1,000th poster on this 3rd Barber Thread.
    .....if we were not stuck so frequently, I doubt our post count would've been over 750 !

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jeff From Tampa asked about the sticking thread - and what I was doing anything different now.
    Answer: YES !! I read this from one of our Barber friends - and although Darrell had a solution, I
    couldn't fathom how he did it. But I did go onto CUSTOMIZE - the box on the right side of the
    upper section.... Next to Settings, etc.

I reset my post count per page on the Threads from 25 to 90. Have not had a stuck post yet.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Vern...Good Guess....Edit: The coin just did not work in my set, unfortunately. I'll pick up a MS one
    when it pops up some day.

Jeff...as always, nice raw pick ups.

Ron... Nice raw pick up's also. Buy a Dansco, I think you'll enjoy it more than
    just accumulating plastic. You are on a good start !

Vern.... You mentioned images (1- from Joe W. ) and nothing was attached.
    .....edit: Just another glitch in the system. Joe's beautiful 1895-O Dime finally
    appeared. Choice coin for sure. I still think he needs a saucer variety to round
    out his set.

FWIW...check out the Barber BST section... Hint, hint. ..... Justin...Thank you.

Edit: Paesan.... I remember the day you and Walt came to Glenn's table ...
    the wheeling and dealing that went on was too funny. I'll tell you, that man is
    the consummate salesperson. He had so many scenarios floating in mid air, I
    wasn't sure what he was cooking up for you and even if you wanted the 09-O
    or not, at any price. ( I priced my coin to match the one Liz had sold a few months
    before hand ... So, I knew what was a fair price. { per se } ....). I was shocked that
    Liz's coin sold for as much as it did... but it was snapped up within an hour of its
    making its debut at the BALTIMORE Show a few months before FUN.

I'm glad you liked it... But I saw it at FUN this year at Liz's table for $7500. It sold,
    as its no longer listed on her site. I assume you consigned it to her.

Maybe Vern can post the image of your "XF 45" that looks like an AU 53. I'd love to see it.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Not too many years ago, I could have bought a MS
    for this kind of money. Or an AU with a Gold Bean.

Mike, What a high demand coin with super low pops in XF and AU. Finding an XF-45 is as tough as finding an AU-55 or 58. When I purchased that above mentioned coin from you, I thought I overpaid. In retrospect, it was fairly priced, but I've learned that some collectors are willing to pay a whole lot more. It's just that tough! Hope your 45 is nice and wholesome. FWIW, my 45 ran me 3500$ (but I grade it 53 :-))

Paesan

PS you still may be able to buy an MS for XF money.
  • Options
    Mike - Here's Paesan's PC45.

Paesan - Both NTT and NTM seem familiar, working on them.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    NTT- "The Sidewinder Sleeps tonight" by REM. I know a few. My latest round of submissions to PCGS is in the mail; hopefully I'll have a few new photos to post tomorrow.

My Barber Half Everyman set now has 1 coin missing; a 1909. I have a NGC AU 58 that I was going to submit at FUN for crossover, but I bought a nice 1909 at the show and submitted it at the show hoping for a 58; it's coming back as a MS 61. Now my NGC 58 will go off to PCGS for crossover, but I suspect it will come back as a 55. Drats- I was hoping to have a complete PC set by now! image
  • Options
    illini420illini420 Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

PS you still may be able to buy an MS for XF money. >>

It sure seems like that sometimes, and may have been the case a few years ago... but if it's a nice coin is very unlikely to happen today.

For awhile, it shocked me to see that XF-AU examples of the 1909-O quarter were selling in auctions for around the same price you could get an MS63 or MS64 example only a couple of years or so earlier. But it seems that the MS coins have had a substantial jump in the last couple of years as well, though that jump in values is mostly not public as there just haven't been many public sales of the MS63-65 examples in the last couple of years. I have heard of a few private sales of mint state examples for much higher prices.

At the Long Beach show last week, I had my 1909 Mint Set on display at my table and a dealer made me a "strong" offer for my 1909-O quarter in PCGS MS64... even though it's hard to know what "strong" really is given the lack of public information on the recent trades. But the offer was strong enough to where I nearly broke up my 1909 Mint Set right there as I've been thinking about it for a couple of years now, but didn't do it image Maybe someday.
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike, You have such a beautiful set IMO it would be best not to break it up. I am not a dime or half person but if I found the matches to the attached coin I would own an 1909-O Barber type set!!

Craig

• Options

<< <i>Mike - Here's Paesan's PC45.

Paesan - Both NTT and NTM seem familiar, working on them.

image >>

If the 09-O I got on approval, looked like this, it wouldn't be going back.
    As Paesan mentioned, it's an AU 53 in a 45 plastic. Well worth the premium,
    Lenny.

Good luck on the cross over, Jeff.

Vern... That 93-S Half in 58 looks like my old one.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jeff, Nailed the NTT! Good job on the 99 half (I think it's the one you showed me at FUN) and good luck on your NGC cross and completing your set.

Mike, Thanks for the compliment and I really hope yours is very nice as well.

Paesan

• Options

<< <i>Jeff, Nailed the NTT! Good job on the 99 half (I think it's the one you showed me at FUN) and good luck on your NGC cross and completing your set.
    Paesan >>

Lenny-

Yes, the 1909 50C is the one I showed you at FUN. It has a 61 looking obverse (a few marks on the face) and a 63 reverse:

Although it doesn't fit into my Everyman's set it's a keeper for me.

A had a little luck on eBay this morning. I purchased a 1909 50C PCGS AU 58; no need to cross my NGC coin over. The Everyman set is complete in PCGS holders, and the NGC is now for sale.

I was also able to pick up a 1893 S 50C NGC MS 61 for reasonable $$; it looks like a 58 to me. I plan on submitting it for crossover. A '93 S PCGS AU 58 would be nice to own!

• Options
    Jeff, Congrats on your fine accomplishment! I think I'm gonna send my coins to you to get them graded for now on! And yes, a 93-S half in 58 would be a good asset.

Paesan

Next line in the NTM "Oh yeah, you blend!"
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Vern-Great Pics once again, getting started on the Chicago trip plans, see you there.

Jeff- some real nice stuff you found there, would be anxious to see how they do grade.

Picked this up at a 3 day show here in St.Louis from Scott at JJ teaparty, I'm sure its fresh out of someone's Registry set on it's way to mine.

• Options

Jeff....Congrats, again. You must be shopping where Tyler shops,
    some small out of the way hobby shop in Utah !! Lol

PAESAN: NTM... My Cousin Vinny.... One of my favorite movies.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jeff - Congrats on completing your set. What an accomplishment.

Mike - Scott's 93-S may well have been yours.

Dave - Really nice 07-D. Look forward to Central States, it will be here before we know it.

Jeff & Mike - Congrats on the NTT & NTM.

Pics for this AM, haven't posted any of these for quite some time, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Craig,

I am so glad you liked the 09-O I sold you.
    If I didn't have a backer, you wouldn't have
    seen this coin. I fought off two buyers for it.

My all cash deal won in the end and you got a
    coin I can only dream about.

I still like that one more than my other one which
    you picked up from Heritage auction in 2011 at the ANA.
    Nice having a pair, isn't it ? image

Congrats...Jeff... You're knocking them dead !! Great job
    in completing your Half set in all PCGS. Without looking,
    I would imagine you must be in the top 6 sets now ?

Nice key date Nickel, Vern. I agree with the grade.

If anyone was looking at the Stacks auction this week, an
    1900-O Quarter in an old PCGS Rattler MS 66 CAC - sold
    for just over $14000.00. I thought it might hit 7K - 8K
    and I dropped out before it hit those guesses. I fell in love
    with the coin ... and was tempted to postpone putting a new
    roof on my home for a year - just to own this baby.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Mike,

I am "saving" the 1909-O Quarters for my future retirement!!!!!! image
    Craig

• Options

<< <i>Congrats...Jeff... You're knocking them dead !! Without looking,
    I would imagine you must be in the top 6 sets now ?q]

My regular Barber set (with MS coins)is in the #6 position. The top sets there are all high end MS (I have only 3 MS halves, all bought raw thinking they might be 58's).

My Everyman Barber set is #4, behind 3 GREAT sets (Don, Darryl, and Ed). My set is at the point where it may stay in the ranking, but I'll continue improving it.
  • Options

<< <i>Mike,

I am "saving" the 1909-O Quarters for my future retirement!!!!!! image >>

Keep working Old Man, one day, I'll marry your Widow and end up with the 09-O's anyway.

image.... Ha ha
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Newp from YN Valente:....

Professional images forthcoming .....courtesy of Valente151 >>

Well... I received the professional images tonight ...

imageimage

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Craig - Pic of your 09-O wasn't there before (at least for me). What a beauty. And I didn't realize you had two in 64. Good coin to have in 64, not many in higher grade.

Mike - I liked that 1900-O at Stack's as well, and for a brief moment considered placing a bid without seeing the coin in hand (something I try not to do on expensive coins). Had no idea it would bring that kind of money. And your 95-O looks even better with those great pics.

Pics for this AM, a couple more nickels, both PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    The threads slipping down; I'll post a couple of coins that came in the mail yesterday. First, my 1909 50C PCGS MS 61 now entombed in plastic:

Next, another FUN raw purchase- a 1908 O 50C that's now in a PCGS AU 55 holder:

These two coins completed my regular Barber set. I'll get a 1909 PCGS AU 58 in the mail this week and the Everyman Barber Half set will be complete.
  • Options
    Jeff - Congrats again on the completion of your barber half set.

Pics for this AM, a couple from Doug's quarter collection, PC58 & 55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Doug,

Love both 1893's !! Keep posting them, Vern !!

Jeff,

You called both of those Halves. No doubt in my mind the 08-O would get a 55,
    but why not a 55+ ?
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>I also sent in a spare '04 O 50C for Guarantee Resubmission:

I bought the coin a few years back to get a graded '04 O. At the time my set had a Details grade '04 O, so this was a step up. It's in a PCGS XF 45 holder. I've been trying to sell it for a while with no interest. I'm uncertain what caused the sharp line of black toning, but it does appear that there's environmental damage lingering under the toning. It seems to me that this coin should never have been place in a graded holder, but it will be interesting to see what the Gods at PCGS say. Does anyone have experience with the Guarantee Resubmission? Are they going to tell me the toning and environmental damage happened post holder? image >>

I received this coin back from PCGS in the same holder. There was a handwritten note on the returned submission form stating "The coin is good as-is". I guess no plus for this coin.

I wonder what would happen if I submitted it raw?
  • Options
    A new purchase, a 1909 50C PCGS AU 58 (arrived today):

I don't see a break in luster on the coin. It's in an older holder; my suspicion it would come back as a 63 if submitted raw.

There's an interesting die break on the "D" on the reverse:

I also received my recent Heritage Auction purchase; a 1897 O 50C PCGS VF 25:

It replaces my F 15; a decent upgrade. At least my set has 2 VF coins at the bottom- I'm happy! image
  • Options
    I picked up a better date quarter today, net graded AU 50 for dark charcoal toning. No doubt its a 55 or a 58 under all that toning. What to do? What to do?

Paesan
  • Options

<< <i>I picked up a better date quarter today, net graded AU 50 for dark charcoal toning. No doubt its a 55 or a 58 under all that toning. What to do? What to do?

Paesan >>

Don't do what I did. A couple of times I acquired dark toned 55 to 62 Barber 50C and dipped them hoping for a pleasant change. It turned into a real mess; I ruined both of them. Fortunately I bought them cheap. I have them sitting in a drawer hoping they may tone back and cover my tracks.....
  • Options
    Jeff - Interesting to get anything handwritten from PCGS. I think I'd leave well enough alone on your spare 04-O. Also, the die gouge almost looks like part of an 'S'.

Paesan - Look forward to hearing about the better date quarter.
    And I think I've got both the NTT & NTM. Tom Petty, and Animal House.

Pics for this AM, my raw and slabbed 97-O qtrs, PC62:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern, Right on both. I'll have to do a bonus round...and I love your 97-O in 62.

Justin, Somebody got a good deal on that 09-O. Thanks for posting!

Paesan

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file