Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Threads moved to page 3. Let me introduce the lone AU 58+ 1907 O 50C:

I won't try to convince you that it's the best AU out there, but I guess our host thinks so.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff - I like it a lot. With lots of luster, it's a + in my book.

Pics for this AM, from Keith's collection, PC35:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Very sweet 01-S. Keith has some beauties.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

With FUN just behind us, I thought I'd just pen a few words { yes, the Thread is stuck again ! }
    and say while there, I submitted a few things for Regrade, Cross Over, and some Modern stuff for
    grading.

Two of the coins { Halves } were of high value [ for me anyway ] and they went Express ... I heard today
    that the two NGC 65's [ which were formerly in PCGS 65 holders when last sold prior to my getting
    them at auction in NGC holders ] I guess the guy who bought them in PCGS 65 thought they would
    cross to NGC as 66's, as they were CAC'd. So, he cracked them out and got the two coins back - yup: both
    came came back in NGC 65 holders.

Now, even though I have the old Cert. numbers [ not the actual Certs themselves ] our hosts ignored
    this info. The two Halves just DNC. Which is really too bad. { Understatement }.

I poised this question to someone who submits frequently: If the two coins were originally in PCGS Secure Plus
    Holders - and were cracked out - then reholdered - and then again, resubmitted to PCGS { showing the old cert
    numbers on the forms } would it be safe to say that these coins would have been recognized by the machine
    Secure Plus uses - and therefor be granted the same original grade { provided nothing was done to the coins once
    they were removed from the PCGS holders ? }

I thought the coins would be recognizable - but my friend said once a coin leaves a PCGS holder - all bets are off.
    I disagree. The newest imaging system PCGS uses for this purpose is to eliminate this problem. Am I all wet ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I read a Thread discussing Dimes.

Do you think CAC would bless this Dime ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I also heard that Q David Bowers has written a new book....

Hold onto your hats, Boys and Girls... it the long awaited

Barber Coinage Book - published by Whitman Press.

I would think its a must have for all our libraries !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

I'd have edited my last image about would this Dime CAC...

but ... I can't...

So, same question....Do you think this will CAC ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Tough Thread... stuck in mud...

I don't remember if I showed this one [ I must have ]
    I picked this up from Glenn Holsonbake last year ....

new image by Valente151

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭✭
    Amazing 01-s half from Vern's post above.
    Perfect antique skin and an XF any day.
    We're all born MS70. I'm about a Fine 15 right now.
  • Options
    Mike - I thought one of the big selling points of paying for Secure Plus service was that the coin was always recognizable. I would think that would count for something when it get sents in for rading again. And who in their right mind would think that cracking a PC-65 CAC in hopes of getting an NGC-66 is worth the risk? Most NGC-66's aren't worth any more than PC65's anyway, IMO.

Also, who knows what CAC would do on your dimes. That's just as much a guess as regular TPG. Look at Paesan's 07-S qtr in 65 that turned for an example.

Dennis - I agree, looks like an XF to me as well.

Pics for this AM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, Congrats again on your 58+ grade. They always seem to reward color and luster. I'd like to see them acknowledge superior surfaces and originality, but color is king.

Keith, You've stirred The Logpotato out of hibernation! Nice 01-S!!!

Mike, Lots of people playing (and losing) the crossing game at TPGs. I agree with Vern...wouldn't trade a PC-65 for and NGC-66 holder for the same coin. I think your dimes will CAC, but at half the price, you can get a platinum bean from The Paesan. (actually, it's a grey fish sticker, but it's worth much more!)

My only submission to PCGS in 2014 was thru a reputable dealer (better odds, don't care what anyone says) for my 13-S quarter which crossed from NGC 25. I used to send them about 50 coins per year. (I still subscribe and use my voucher for 8 coins.) My unsolicited advise to all: Save your money and buy more coins instead.

NTT-Open, The Cure, NTM-George Hamilton, Love at First Bite, hilarious vampire spoof with lots of one-liners. Good popcorn movie.

Paesan

More coins, less government.
  • Options

<< <i>Amazing 01-s half from Vern's post above.
    Perfect antique skin and an XF any day. >>

I agree, that's a great looking original coin.
    On another day, it's an XF 40.

Nice coin, Keith. Thanks for posting it, Vern.

Jeff, that coin did well, an AU 58+ is no easy feat.
    Congratulations.

Edit: To bring your attention to a new set on the Registry: 1896 Mint Set / No Gold
    .... Wonder What Happened ? .....
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    MowgliMowgli Posts: 1,219
    NTT-...She was dark and discreet, she was light on her feet...
    NTM..."IT! IT is confusing! Say your g--damn pronouns!"

Some sore of traveling wheel barrows and I miss Peter Falk.
    In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
  • Options
    Amazing!
  • Options
    valente151valente151 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I poised this question to someone who submits frequently: If the two coins were originally in PCGS Secure Plus
    Holders - and were cracked out - then reholdered - and then again, resubmitted to PCGS { showing the old cert
    numbers on the forms } would it be safe to say that these coins would have been recognized by the machine
    Secure Plus uses - and therefor be granted the same original grade { provided nothing was done to the coins once
    they were removed from the PCGS holders ? }

I thought the coins would be recognizable - but my friend said once a coin leaves a PCGS holder - all bets are off.
    I disagree. The newest imaging system PCGS uses for this purpose is to eliminate this problem. Am I all wet ? >>

The problem is, as I explained the other day, PCGS couldn't in their right mind guarantee to give the same grade, even with the secure plus. While the finger prints could show up, they don't know what happened to that coin since it was cracked. Theres several things that could have happened to it that the sniffer might not pick up, so PCGS can't guarantee to put the coin in a holder with the same grade. The main point of the sniffer recognizing coins is so that when coins are resubmitted and recognized, any doctoring could be detected that happened since its last time through the sniffer to prevent doctored coins sliding through with big upgrades.

Regarding the two "Will They CAC", I have reservations on both. The 1893 is a bit dark for me for the gem grade, and as the photographer I hope the photo is accurate to the in hand look lol. The 04-S, I don't like that blue color on circ coins and find, more often than not, it is MA but not a look that CAC cares for from my experience. For your sake I hope they sticker, but I think both have a higher chance of not stickering.
  • Options
    Mowgli - Great job on the NTT and NTM. Really liked that first Traveling Wilbury's album. Tweeter and the Monkey Man, and all.
    Still don't know the movie, guess I don't see enough of them.

Paesan - Heard one of my favoriite lines on the way home last night. "I've changed my hairstyle, so many times now, I don't know what I look like".
    Not tough, just a neat lyric, IMO.

Back to coins, the last one from Keith until I see him next month, PC50:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Valente, Solid take on resubs and CAC!

Vern, I'll bet Mike is gonna like that dime!

Paesan
  • Options

Paesan,

The 09-S in AU is a tough coin to locate.

Last year, I finally found a nice 09-S in a
    PCGS 61 holder. So, I bought it; only to
    find an AU 58 CAC a few months later. As
    it turns out, the AU 58 was once in my first
    collection - ex: Tom Casey. I have since sold
    the 61.

I believe Valente151 imaged the AU 58 over
    Thanksgiving. I must have posted the images.
    If not, I'll edit this with the pictures.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>just bought this really tough 1895 s quarter in Pcgs au58 - not sure if I will keep it or sell it!

image >>

As fate would have it, I ended up buying this at FUN
    ...from a dealer....image
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>

>>

No need to replace this one !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    I need a little help from my friends. U recently picked up a nice '99 S 50C NGC 58:

The coin has a nice hint of golden toning around the perimeter, but the a big golden dot on the reverse. The spot on the reverse bothers me a bit, but otherwise it's a great coin. I want to get it in a PCGS holder; I see two options:
    1. Submit the coin in the NGC holder and learn to like the spot.
    2. Crack the coin and give it a quick dip to get rid of the spot, but loose all other toning as well.

Of course I know it's a sin to talk about "dipping" here, but what would you do? Is the spot that bad?
  • Options
    The thread is stuck again, so I'll post another coin to see if I can break the jamb. Another recent pickup, a 1900 S 50C NGC 58:

I'm planning on submitting this to PCGS for crossover as well. It's a little dark, we'll need to see what happens.
  • Options
    Still stuck...... drats! image
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'd have edited my last image about would this Dime CAC...

but ... I can't...

So, same question....Do you think this will CAC ?

image >>

Gorgeous Green tone!
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    The thread is still stuck so I'll try one more post. Another recent pickup, a 1915 D 50C NGC MS 61:

I'm planning on sending this to PCGS to see if I can get it in a AU 58 holder. The hits on the face concern me; we'll see what happens.
  • Options
    Mike - Good to see that your 95-S has returned home.

Pics for this AM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Didn't realize thread was stuck until I posted. Missed the page 47 posts.

Mike - Nice looking 09-S dime.

Jeff - I'd want to get rid of that spot. And your 15-D looks way too lustrous for a 61.

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Jeff, I agree with Vern. My personally philosophy is to avoid coins like that 99-S. Even if I like 98% of the coin and it comes cheap, my eye always goes to that 2% area first. I don't think I'm alone here. Then the money you saved, (assuming the coin was discounted) is spent trying to fix it or holder it or resell it later. If you REALLY like it, then none of that matters and it's all good.

Vern, Pix of 13-D came out great! I'm not sure if this is a Blue Valley cast off but it didn't look much like the others at the table.

Mike, Nice 09-S dime! I still remember your face when you saw mine! Priceless!

Murder by Death...epic private eye spoof with Peter Sellers, David Niven and many others. If you haven't seen it I'll send you the DVD.

Paesan
  • Options

OIH82W8.... Actually it's a Prussian Blue color.
    This coin was originally in the Tom Casey III collection.
    Although I also have another stunning 1904-S Dime in
    PCGS 55 - ex: Ritesh - this one has always been my
    favorite. It sold at my August, 2011 Heritage Auction
    and last year, I spotted it in a Great Collections auction
    for less than I sold it for... easy decision.

Looks like this is stuck. I just got a true view of a dime
    I sent into our hosts for Regrade into a Secure Plus holder.
    That image will appear next.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    "I've changed my hairstyle, so many times now, I don't know what I look like".

Vern, I didn't know it so I looked it up. Love that song! I'll give Mowgli a shot...he'll get it.

Paesan
  • Options

<< <i>OIH82W8.... Actually it's a Prussian Blue color.
    This coin was originally in the Tom Casey III collection.
    Although I also have another stunning 1904-S Dime in
    PCGS 55 - ex: Ritesh - this one has always been my
    favorite. It sold at my August, 2011 Heritage Auction
    and last year, I spotted it in a Great Collections auction
    for less than I sold it for... easy decision.

Looks like this is stuck. I just got a true view of a dime
    I sent into our hosts for Regrade into a Secure Plus holder.
    That image will appear next. >>

Ok...did I mention that I was colorblind? It is still a very attractive coin.
    oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    Keep the half dollars coming!
  • Options
    Here's hoping the tread stays unstuck....

Resubmitted this for a friend who upgraded this date & he got a bump.... aside from Valente151 and Vern...

Any GTG's ???

The same friend who had me resubmit his 1894-O Dime [ where it garnered a plus grade "64+" ] also had me search for the last date he needed for his Quarter set.
    I knew the where abouts of the Eliasberg 1896-S in NGC 65 and discussed the possible sale to my friend.

There was a meeting of the minds and I am happy to report, my friend and my dealer friend have come to an agreement.

This edit was purposely buried so as not to detract from the current activity on the Barber Thread.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Keep the half dollars coming! >>

I have not bought a Half in ages....

Here's my last newp for the Half set...

Have not as yet had this imaged professionally....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>Here's hoping the tread stays unstuck....

Resubmitted this .... got a bump.... aside from Valente151 and Vern...

Any GTG's ???

image >>

Another incredible beauty!

Only a 64+???

• Options

OIH82W8...... No way did you get that grade down to the final "+" without looking it up !!

Yes... It's now a 64+ - upgraded from a 64.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Paesan - Can't believe your 13-D was from the Blue Valley collection.

Mike - That 94-O dime is a beauty.

Pics for this AM, from my collection, PC45:

imageimage
    Vern
    l
  • Options
    I apologize for the disclosure...I needed to get the big picture of that beauty...I'll go back to my corner.

• Options
    A dealer I know is selling me back one of my old Halves;
    1898-O in PCGS 64 Secure Plus holder.

I hated to sell it at the time but circumstances have changed
    somewhat and I am now buying it back at an advantageous
    amount.

I have already bought back the 1898-P

and I have located my old 1898-S ....

All I have to do is wait until he either upgrades or sells !!

Well, Here's my Old friend from New Orleans !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    OIH82W8.... You make me laugh..... It's ok...
    I'll stump you on some others very soon. Just
    do not look up the Cert Numbers and blurt out
    the answers !! image

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Ah, to be in the BLACK (or is it in the GREEN) image

Craig

• Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Hey guys.....Been a while since my last post here, but Ive been lurking as always. Some amazing coins showing up here as always, and some great banter too. Glad to see that many of you had such a great time at FUN. I didn't make it this year with a 3 month old at home, but I enjoyed reading about your experiences and seeing some great newps. Hope everyone is well!

Here are two relatively recent pickups that I really like. Was ecstatic to be able to pick this coin up from Scott. Probably my favorite BQ in my set right now. PC/CAC 45

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

This was the only BQ that I won from the recent FUN auction. NGC 50....though I personally grade 45 and my best guess is that our hosts will agree when I cross it.

image[/URL]

image[/URL]

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    JT - two very tough Quarter dates - like 'em both !!
    I have yet to locate another 01-O for my newer set.

Congrats !!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have not checked eBay in some time - and aside from locating my old 1898-O Half in PC 64,

I just found this 1913-P Half in PC 45 - which I have been waiting for some time. Thanks Chris !!

Granted, its not the nicest 45 around... but at the moment ... it was the only one.

I have two more upgrades to go to finish the set the way I want it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Justin...Happy now ? You put a bug in my ear - as I said I have not looked at Halves in ages - just
    concentrating on Quarters and Dimes....

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you bought that XF45 ehh Mike? I saw it, was close to pulling the trigger, but I have a VF35 that I really like. Nice pull. Don't recall seeing more than one or two nice XF 1913 halves in 15 years.

Tyler
  • Options
    Congrats on the upgrade, Mike.

• Options
    JJSingletonJJSingleton Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My first Barber coin.

Joseph J. Singleton - First Superintendent of the U.S. Branch Mint in Dahlonega Georgia

Findley Ridge Collection
    About Findley Ridge

• Options
    Mike - Beautiful 1898 half set. And congrats on the '13 toughie.

JT - Two wonderful qtrs. Good to hear from you on the mega thread.

JJS - Great first barber, thanks for posting it. Look forward to more when they come along.

Pics for this AM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Man I see what you guys have been talking about with this stuck thread problem......hope Im not making it worse....this post is just to try to "unlock" it.

JT

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    1913 with Struck through Debris which almost obliterated the numeral 1 in the date.

Tyler
  • Options
    Dupe.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file