Comments

• Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vern, Jeff, Mike...Nice additions!
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Vern, Jeff, Mike...Nice additions! >>

NTT Bonus Round: B 52's Rock Lobster. This post has nothing to do with coins, but a couple of cool items are being delivered today. Perhaps a coin post tomorrow.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    It's time to play GUESS THE GRADE!!!

I received a couple of nice Barber Half Dollars in the mail today- I show the pictures, you guess the grade!

First up a 1906 O:

Next, a very nice 1897 S:

So, get on your grading shoes and throw out some numbers! Both coins are in straight graded slabs, and neither coin is in my registry set yet, so don't bother going there looking for hints. image
  • Options
    Another entry for GUESS THE GRADE!!

I picked up this '93 S Half in a NGC graded holder and submitted it to PCGS for crossover:

The grade was posted today- it crossed but not at the same grade. Guess both the original NGC grade and the grade assigned by PCGS. image
  • Options
    Jeff, Since I know some of the grades, I'll just say that I like the 93-S the best. Congrats on all!

Paesan
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll play Jeff!

1906-O 55
    1897-S 50
    1893-S 53

Of course this opinion could change in hand!
  • Options
    JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    My guesses:

06o - 58
    97s - 50
    93s - 55

Nice coins!

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff - I'll guess: 58, 50 and 53, and my fav is the 93-S (perfect reverse IMO). Guessing the 93-S was in N55.

Pics for this AM, from Paesan's Stash, PC53:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    Clue: There have not been any correct guesses on any of them, and I purchased all 3 coins in the same grade. It's OK to guess again with the new information.
  • Options
    The I would say 53,50,53! Love the consistency! image
  • Options
    Times up on GUESS THE GRADE.

The reveal- all 3 coins were purchased in MS 61 holders.

The '06 O is currently in a PCGS 61 holder. I clearly see rub on the face, telling me it should be an AU coin. I would call it a certain 58 except for the mark on the nose- it may hold it back as a55. My thought is to crack it out and submit it to PCGS raw. I'm thinking that if sent in for reconsideration it would come back in the same holder. Any other thoughts? I can live with a 55, but I would like a 58.

The '97 S is currently in a SEGS MS 61 holder. It seems clear to me the coin has seen circulation, but not much (and the surfaces appear original). Although the toning isn't the greatest I don't see other issues. My plan is to submit this coin to PCGS for crossover in the current slab. I'm hoping for a 58. I don't see any upside to submitting this coin raw.

The '93 S was purchased in a NGC MS 61 slab. It looked like there was a bit of rub on it when purchased. I submitted it to PCGS for crossover; the coin is now in a PCGS AU 58 holder. I'm very happy with that.

I set you all up for bad guesses; the game was rigged. I purchased all 3 of these coins because I thought they looked circulated as well. The coins are worth way more as 58's than as 61's; hopefully my gamble bears reward. I've already been rewarded on the '93 S. image

I was really interested to see if anyone here thought any of these coins looked MS- 100% said no. I got the information I was looking for; thanks to all for playing the game!!
  • Options
    TrueView Imaging

On my most recent raw submission I took advantage of the free TrueView Imaging for 5 coins. I'm a bit disappointed in the quality of their work (but perhaps I'm just full of myself). One would think that PCGS would have top notch equipment and skilled technicians taking the photos, but I have to wonder.

I have a relatively inexpensive setup for photographing my coins, and I don't post process the images at all (other than cropping them). I spend very little prep time; it's a fast process.

Here's the TrueView Image for a 1911 Barber Half (it returned a MS 63):

And below are my images superimposed over the TrueView images:

The coin in hand looks much more like the images I shot. I find the PCGS images a bit lifeless and dull. But then again, perhaps it's just me and others think the PCGS images look better.

I'm not posting this to show off, but to express my concern about the quality of the TrueView Images from my viewpoint, and to see if others feel the same. Trust me, there's not a lot of skill involved in taking decent shots; just a little patience, knowledge, and some decent equipment.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭

Hind sight is 20/20. All three coins were seen in this order : 62, 58, 58.
    Finding that the TPG's saw them all as 61's doesn't surprise me one iota.
    I also have come to know how Jeff thinks when he's buying coins of late.
    He looks for low end MS and prays that they'll AU58 once cracked out.

I'll take all of Darrell's coins if they looked like this as 53's and 50's. Lol.
    Just pulling your leg, Darrell. I have said time and time again, I hate grading
    near MS & MS coins from images.

Jeff, I feel your images have improved greatly since you started posting.
    I can not hold a candle to your efforts. Then again, I do not have the right
    Equipment. My friend, Valente151 has a very simple set up, two incandescent
    clip on desk lamps, a fairly decent camera body and a few good lenses. It's
    hooked up to his lap top and he can crop and do any adjustments he needs to.
    It's all Greek to me, I just enjoy the results.

Question for the Photographers: Photobucket has a service that will hard copy
    images. Has anyone used their service ? In the past Messydesk used WinkFlash,
    but, they have gone out of business. Valente151 has used Apple; both have excellent
    results.

I should have some new images soon, Valente151 hopes he can drive down for a few days.
    I think he's more interested in playing with my two dogs than spending a lot of time focusing
    in on coins. Over the past year or so, I have grown to admire Valente151's ability on grading
    and his expertise on ferreting out problem coins masked by assorted coin doctor tricks.

To all in Portland... Hope you're having a blast at the ANA show.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

<< <i>I also have come to know how Jeff thinks when he's buying coins of late.
    He looks for low end MS and prays that they'll AU58 once cracked out.

My friend, Valente151 has a very simple set up, two incandescent
    clip on desk lamps, a fairly decent camera body and a few good lenses. It's
    hooked up to his lap top and he can crop and do any adjustments he needs to.

Question for the Photographers: Photobucket has a service that will hard copy
    images. >>

Mike, although that's one way I purchase coins it's not my norm. The low end MS coin has to have a nice 58 look AND be well priced or the idea doesn't work. Those deals don't seem to come around too often. Most of my coins I purchase raw on the internet, but I end up returning better than 50% (they've been messed with). I've had good success getting those into numbered holders. I do purchase PCGS graded coins periodically to upgrade my set; 4 in the month of February. I don't seem to find much graded stuff out there to improve my half set without spending outrageous $$.

My photo setup is very simple as well. I have a copy stand with a Canon 40D body, 90MM Macro lens, and 2 lights. I shoot with the camera tethered to my laptop so I can view the image on screen and adjust before I shoot. It's really quite simple and inexpensive; I have about $300 into my setup. It's very easy to learn to use.

I recently purchased a Canon Pixma 100 commercial inkjet printer for under $150 (new)- it prints extremely well. The nice feature is it has 8 ink cartridges that can be individually refilled.

• Options

<< <i>That second 1911 is a garbage image, and way out of focus, I'd contact Phil and let him know. I'm sure he'll reshoot it unless they already shipped it out, in which case I'm sure he'll find a way to make right by ya.

The first doesn't look too bad. Ya gotta remember, TrueViews are glamour shots, not representative of the coin in-hand. Unfortunate they decided to go that route, imho, rather than shooting the coin as it really appears in hand, which is my ethos when it comes to coin photography. >>

The lower images were shot by me, not by PCGS. The upper set was done by PCGS. Although you definitely prefer the PCGS shots, mine are not out of focus (and I'm a little surprised to hear you say they look like garbage). I had to reduce the original down a lot to fit into the TrueView format; here are larger images of the same shot:

I take pride in making certain the lens is square to the coin and properly focused before I shoot.
  • Options
    I would have to see the 3 coins in hand before I changed my opinion. My 04-S in 55 was clean as a whistle....no marks,scratches etc. I would leave that 06-O in a 61 holder because I could never see it in better than a 55 holder from what I am seeing. The 97-S seems to have a lot going on. I would wager with the vibes between the 2 companies if you send it in for a cross at any grade they will bag it. The 93-S just doesn't seem to have enough luster to me to carry a 58 grade. Like I said....in hand my opinion would hopefully change but I am grading from what I see in the pictures!
  • Options

Well...I spotted this puppy a few weeks back .... and I discussed it with my friend SROTAG { Dave }
    and this guy should have been an investigator. He has a steel trap mind. He knew this coin immediately
    and knew it sold on Heritage a few months ago for over $1500. We both agreed it was an outrageous price.

The lot opened up at $300.00 ... I threw in my bid ... and sat and waited.
    { I had another friend say he thought he'd go for it... until I told him I was
    the high bidder.}

Well, it hammered for $726.00 plus the juice and shipping... Yes, still an outrageous price.
    I figured I'd oogle it a few years and see what happens. My YN nephew is chomping at the
    bit for me to give him my Dime collection - guess he's not satisfied with the nice XF / AU set
    I have been building for him...... Kids, what can I say ?! He has good taste - but if his grades
    slip anymore - he doesn't get squat... and he knows it.

Without any further ado... my NEWP:

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    ...oops

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Jeff - Excellent GTG. I'd suggest cracking the PC61, but not the SEGS example. Great job on getting the AU58 93-S.

I've also noticed how often Tru-Viewed pics don't look like the coin in hand. I fail to see how that is a selling point for Tru-View.

Mike - Wonderful look on your new dime.

Pics for this AM, a couple of dimes from the Stash, PC62 and 63:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    A recent PCGS acquisition; a 1906 S NGC MS 62 Half:

No, this wasn't a potential 58 purchase. This is a nice MS coin; no break in the luster. I'll just submit this for crossover as-is, hoping for a PCGS 62 (63). It will be a decent coin in my MS set.
  • Options
    I purchased 1 PCGS AU 50 1915 Half at a Heritage Auction last week; it arrived yesterday:

The Obverse is sort of Fugly (it looks like Lady Liberty was in a knife fight),but the reverse is nice. The price was right, and I wasn't in love with my XF 40 that it's replaced. Besides, this slab is an extremely rare variety; it's been BEDAZZLED!!!!

A speck of glitter or other colorful foreign substance is attached to the inside plastic face of the slab. Somebody must have been partying the night before this slab was sealed! Has anyone else seen anything like this? image
  • Options
    Jeff, Although I've yet to see glitter inside a PCGS slab, I recently got a beautiful coin with a fleck of paper or a shard of plastic right smack on liberty's neck in the most obvious focal point and I'm considering asking them to remove it at their expense. Any thoughts?

Paesan

P.S. Knife fight or did someone try to add some iron to their smoothie? He-he-he!
  • Options
    ...Pop quiz...Speed-Dennis Hopper
  • Options

<< <i>P.S. Knife fight or did someone try to add some iron to their smoothie? He-he-he! >>

Lenny-

I believe the metallic composition of this coin is 90% silver and 10% copper. Is that the new iron for Millennials?

It sounds like your slab with the paper in it is more offensive than mine. Does the paper at least have a good story printed on it? Sounds like a redo for the host.
  • Options
    Jeff - In 1915 Ms Liberty needed to learn to duck.

Paesan - I flunked the pop quiz.

Pics for this AM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    I was 99% sure that was the 00-S half Lenny was talking about when he mentioned it earlier in the thread. I saw it on a website and and couldn't believe how gorgeous it looked. And the price paid for that coin was cheap IMO. Nice grab.
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    That 1900-S half is awesome Lenny, close to perfection! Almost makes me want to start a barber half collection.

Doug
  • Options

I agree, Justin. That really is a wholesome "53". Love it.
    I must be slipping, I never saw it being offered. Great pick, Lenny.

Got my CAC submission results back. My new 1915-S Quarter in PCGS 58
    passed their standards...whoo whoo....image

Some kind of trend happened on the last submission - which I find disturbing:
    not one NGC coin submitted passed. Not one !! A couple of coins had been in
    PCGS holders at one time and had CAC 'd. Not only did our hosts not cross back
    these coins, the coins were not brought back into the fold at CAC. The serial #
    must be the exact same as before to get the coin re-CAC'D.

My friend, Valente151, mentioned that the perception of the coin is influenced by
    viewing a coin in a white background holder VS a transparent PCGS holder. We are
    both in agreement that these cross over submissions should have been cracked out
    and the coins submitted raw. As I did not own the coins on the last cross over submission
    and the follow up CAC submission, I did not dare crack out anything. One coin, the 1896-O
    Half in MS 65 has a value of $25K... Many play the crack out game, but for the most part,
    I shy away. Especially, if I am submitting for a friend. ( Who is even more gun shy than I am !)

Congrats to Jeff on all his wonderful new Halves. ( good luck with your Ebay listings, too. )
    Lenny...once again you have ferreted out yet another wonderful coin. Congrats, too.

No new Newps to report... I picked up a half dozen MS Dimes this past week.... I need to rest.

Happy hunting.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Sorry Lenny- that '00 S Half doesn't look like a nice AU 53 to me at all........

It looks like a nice AU 55! They put it in the wrong holder. That's worse than a Bedazzled slab or one filled with newspaper clippings.
  • Options
    Justin, Thanks on the 00-S. I think it will replace my 55. I've developed a taste for coins with this look, and once you get that, it's hard to buy coins that don't look like that.

Doug, Thanks as well. I've just sold a few nice halves, but fortunately I've found a few nice one to replace them. (Mostly seated)

Vern, Can you post the 55 for comparison? I think some people will prefer the look of that one, being more colorful and having luster. Also, my 21-S could easily be mistaken for a Barber (or send pix to Justin to keep the sanctity of the thread.) And I miss Dennis Hopper.

Jeff, You're a good sport! I always wonder if my jokes will be taken the wrong way, and I often cross the line. Hard to tell who has thick skin. Thanks also for the metal lesson, and I'm way too old to be a millennial. Also, wanted to again compliment you on those last 3 61s, especially the 93-S. Sweet!

Paesan

• Options
    Just realized there was another page....

Mike, Congrats on your CAC approval and thanks on the 00-S.

Jeff, It might be a 55, but I really, really don't care about the number on the plastic, and I will never send it for an upgrade, unless it's free and they'll pay for shipping both ways. I'm happy it's in a 53 holder. It means people didn't pay attention to it and it was reasonable. Happy camper!

Paesan
  • Options
    Mike - It's the luck of the draw with CAC, just like the real TPG's, IMO.

Paesan - Will do, with the 21-S as a bonus.

Pics for this AM, Paesan's older 00-S in 55, and his 21-S newp in 20:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I prefer the 53 over the 55. And that 21-S is superb.
  • Options
    Personally I prefer the look of the 55 '00 S Half over the 53, but they're both very nice.

Here's a 1900 S raw Half I'm submitting to PCGS:

There's a little wear on it; the question is whether there's enough luster to warrant a 58 or will it 55?
  • Options
    I received my 1893 S PCGS AU 58 back; I'm a proud Papa:

If it was Christmas time I would be taking it to WallMart to get a photo with Santa.
  • Options
    Jeff, Congrats again on the 93-S, and I like the Santa picture idea.

Justin, I'm with you on the 53, hands down. Still, I can understand why the 55 has appeal to a lot of collectors too. I'm sure it will have a new happy home soon, and I'll take the downgrade.

Paesan
  • Options
    Just got back from the North Pole- Santa was thrilled to see a new PC 58 '93 S Half. A very special coin:

Santa approved- better than CAC.
  • Options
    I like your 93-S, Jeff. And the picture made me chuckle. image

• Options
    Jeff - Good to see Santa enjoys the best of hobbies during his off season. Great pic.

Pics for this AM, from my friend Keith's collection. Raw, as are most of his coins:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Jeff, Epic!
  • Options
    Paesan - NTM sounds like Heath Ledger as the joker in Batman, but I can't quite remember the scene. NTT doesn't ring a bell.

Pics for this AM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC58:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    A great looking 58 quarter! image
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Hey Barberites,

Most of you don't know me, but I think MFH, ARCO and others will vouch that I was about an avid mid-grade half collector as any of you nerds.
    I had a freak injury that required finding new homes for the ones in my registry - and thank you so much for making a difficult task easier in innumerable ways. IIRC, only 3 days and they were all spoken for. Thank you!

I have improved some over the past 5 years, but fear not, I'm not re-entering the fray to light a fire under the prices a la 2004 or so.

If you would like some back issues of the BCCS, whether a current member or not, just post your favorite Barber coin(doesn't have to be a mid-grade half) and I will draw randomly/ send these to you.
    My previous giveaways were usually skill based, but this will be pure providence "chance" and no deference given to two-tone VF 35's image These need to be in a home where they can be read, enjoyed, studied and appreciated. I miss the great comradery (and sometimes competition - right elbesaar?) and accumulated more than a lifetime of great memories and discussions. The friendships were more valuable than these silver discs to me. But, I can still remember the stoppers/ nemesis coins, as well as the victories. Don't know if I ever really found a worthy 1905-O in 7 years of hunting daily.

Not posting anywhere but here and I'll check back mid-week sometime to give anyone interested a chance. Lower US 48 only unless you want to pay shipping.

Here's what I have, 22 issues:
    2005: Vol. 16 #3, 4
    2006: all 4
    2007: 1, 2, 4 - I marked up #3 as it was the census issue iirc, results available on the website
    2008-2010: all 4 each year
    2011: #1

Below: my first raw VF coin via ebaY ca. 2003 (after gradually becoming addicted starting with low priced, original G-VG's, and then taking the plunge on a F12) and then ARCO's coin I randomly ran across on ebaY one Sunday night that fully buried the hook for VF-XF's (Tyler, I still have the raw 1892 quarter you sent as a gift when I got hurt and the images of your Dansco set before you sent them in for grading; not parting with those breaux, in case your computer crashes again, and apologies for not keeping in touch. I also got a spare scanner for $5 on ebaY, brand new. My old one still works and I need to image some other non-Barber coins I never got around to scanning. If yours ever crumps, let me know. I sign in every couple or three months)

Papa Mike, you're the best - and any of you old timers who remember - much love to you guys. No, I am not going to kill myself - just hope someone can use these back issues!

Don
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    InYHWH - Sorry to hear about your situation. Sounds like you have the right perspective to fight through it. Continued best wishes.
    Those are two beauties you posted. Hope you have a few more pics to post as time moves on.

For this AM, I'll put up a couple of 05-O's, my friend Keith's raw one, and my PC40:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I'll continue the '05 O Half trend:

I came across this coin raw on eBay 2 to 3 years ago at a very attractive price. I spent many years looking for a nice XF to AU coin before finding this; I believe this discovery has been my greatest thrill in collecting. image
  • Options

Dr. Don and I have been friends since before the eBay system stopped allowing bidders to know who they were up against.
    There are a few funny stories attached to those days. It was very nice of you to offer back issues of the BCCS Journal. I know
    Justin has sought out older issues and maybe he can use these - or some of them - himself.

The two Halves that Don showed were typical of his entire collection - all circ - Cameos. I had the privilege of looking over
    his collection the Summer of 2009 ... and we spent an enjoyable weekend with he and his family. Time has flown by, but
    not the memories. Its been my fondest wish to have Don make it to FUN and go coin hunting again. One of these days.

I love the two 1905-O's posted - here is my old set's AU 58....

My latest set has a MS 63 ... and even though it's actually too nice for the coins around it - who cares ? I like it lots anyhow.
    I just have not had an opportunity to have it professionally imaged...

I have this duplicate - that I bought raw - but - it got a Genuine designation as "tooled"... I think it was smoothed to remove some minor graffiti :

I thought this was going into Central States Heritage Auction - but can't locate it...
    As you can see, I had this with Glenn on consignment - but there were no takers ...image

LogPotato was the recipient of my last solid circulated 05-O - so - I'll let him do the honors of posting it.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
    This is well worth the time :

I was poking around some of the threads earlier today and ran across Coin Facts - latest entries. Look at pages 11 to 14 ... some one just had tru views done
    for their AU 55-58 Barber Half set. They also have a VG 8 Micro O - a decent coin for sure - just, as usual, a bit weak on the REV right facing edge.
    The only person who I know who has a majority of AU 58's a a couple of 55's is our friend, Darrell. Nice stuff Ol' Man !!

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    InYHWHWeTrustInYHWHWeTrust Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭
    Beautiful 05-O's! Y'all might be getting my hopes up again to start checking ebay again...no.no.no.no...

Mike, that was a great visit, and remember we got see Mr. Morgan's Proof Barbers? He is 86 and still going strong. Sold them to buy a place in Myrtle Beach so the whole family could congregate several times per year. Have you gotten through the Jameson gifts yet? image

Also, I will never forget the night that 1904-S in VF20 ANACS old holder was on TT, and I was all set to do a manual snipe, though I think TT allowed the bidding to keep going a little while after the end time, though that may have been DLRC. Anyways, we had a thunderstorm come through and knocked our power out 15 minutes before I was going to bid! (on dial up no less), had to be around 2005.

You ended up walking away with that one for a STEAL, crossed to PCGS for VF25? and I can't remember what happened to it afterwards. I never sniped on TT again! ebaY sniping was the only way to keep my hormones in check when we and others were going for the 'ugly old dirty barbers'

I didn't save any other Barber halves besides those two, but I will never forget this 'leathery' surfaces gem became available... and I basically let the underbidder set the price.

and for a lowly F12,,,, I could have been happy with a complete set with this look:

Spread the word if anyone else is interested in the BCCS archvies...

Will check back on Tuesday or so
    Do your best to avoid circular arguments, as it will help you reason better, because better reasoning is often a result of avoiding circular arguments.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing your story, Don. I have heard your name from quite a few people when they hear I collect VF Barbers. Even a circ commem guy mentioned your name to me once. All speak very highly of your taste in mid grade halves.

As Mike stated above, I bought his last 05-O. I bought it in 2013 from him, but it took two years of constant hounding. It's my favorite half.

And here's a few others that I really like as well.

imageimage

imageimage

And I always enjoyed this glamour shot.

Vern - Tell Keith, if he ever gets tired of that 05-O, it has a home in PA.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file