Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Michael F. Hayes Barber Megathread

Comments

• Options
    barberkeysbarberkeys Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff - I have a hard time guessing how our hosts will grade a coin when it is in hand, no less from pics. With that being said, if your 01-O has above average luster, I'd say it has the best chance for an upgrade.

Pics for this AM, from Keith's collection:

Vern
    l
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.
  • Options
    LogPotatoLogPotato Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's one of Jeff's castoffs.

• Options
    JeffMTampaJeffMTampa Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Here's one of Jeff's castoffs.

image >>

I owned that coin for several years- it's really nice!! Looking at it brings a tear to my eye- thanks for posting!

I'm off to my fathers funeral tomorrow; he was born in '21 and remembered Barbers back when they were in circulation. Cheers Dad.
    I love them Barber Halves.....
  • Options
    Jeff - My condolences.

Justin - Wonderful look.

Pics for this AM, in honor of Jeff's dad:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Sorry to hear of your loss, Jeff.
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Jeff-Sorry to hear about your Dad, my condolences to you and your family.

Dave
  • Options
    Labelman87Labelman87 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff:

My condolences to you and your family. I do hope your Dad had a great & full life.
    Craig

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, Really sorry to hear about your father. I know from experience at a young age how painful it is...but it fades and the good memories eventually take over.
  • Options
    paesanpaesan Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeff, My condolences. Hope I make it into the 90's.
    More coins, less government.
  • Options
    Thanks all for your condolences; Dad led a great life. Thanks Vern for posting beautiful '21 Halves; appreciated.
  • Options
    MFHMFH Posts: 11,720 ✭✭✭✭
    Jeff,

Sorry to hear the news. It's never easy - no matter how old you are.
    I lost my parents over the last ten years - my Mom was also born in
    1921. When my Dad passed, I lost my best friend.

My condolences.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Coin collecting is not a hobby, it's an obsession !

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Recd BCCS Journal today, first under John Frost's tenure. Good job John, many steps in the right direction, IMO.

Pics for this AM, from Keith's raw collection:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    Vern...

Nice 13-S Half. Keith has some really nice coins !!

Baltimore Stacks Bowers auction - was - well, a disappointment.
    I fell in love with a bunch of V Nickel errors - and was pummeled
    on every one of my bids. { I thought I was bidding on the cheap
    back of the book material...NOT !! } Not exactly sure if the Reserves
    were actually met of the coins I wanted, but my bids were well thought
    out and I was sure I would have a few goodies to add to the V Nickel collection.

I bid on two - no reserve lots - Barber Dimes - an 1894- P [ if the S is hiding in the toning, I'll have a heart attack !! ] image
    Its an Old ANACS Cachet holder - and although its a duplicate for my set - its going into my Waite Raymond album anyway.

I also was able to upgrade my 1900-O Dime - { I have an XF 45 now }

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options

Won this minor upgrade last week, just remembered to post it...
    Its a nice coin - and comes with a Green Bean to boot. The Lustre
    is all there - and the images will be replaced soon... MV ?

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Congrats on the newps. And the Eliasberg OGH 21-D adds something extra.

Pics for this AM, a couple of my qtrs that haven't been posted in a long time, both came from Jon Rosenthal (tonelover), several years ago, PC63 and PC61:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    daveyndaveyn Posts: 150 ✭✭
    Mike-Great coins, the dimes are really beautiful

Vern- nice pics as usual, I really need to start collecting the quarters, looking at most auction houses and coins for sale there seems to be a lot more quarters available than halves.

Dave
  • Options

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but a friend's son contacted me about buying his Dad's collection of
    PCGS Barber Halves - most are AU 58. The highlight of the group is my old 1904-S in 58.

His son mentioned he was going to post mention of the sale on the Mega Thread, but we all know
    that is a conflict. I am just mentioning that there are some great coins available for sale.

PM me and I'll send you the web site address.

The son was selling these coins on the BALTIMORE bourse floor.... Seems Darrell and Glenn got
    first refusal. Don Willis is also interested in a few ( not surprisingly ) ...

Just throwing the info out there in case there is any interest.
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Dave - I think halves are more common than qtrs, but nice, orig ones are tough to find in either series.

Mike - Interesting.

Pics for this AM, more from Keith's collection:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "And now for something completely different", as Monty Python used to say... image

(Not the nicest I've dug, or even the nicest 1912, but the only Barber coin I've dug with video rolling.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    LM - That was neat, thanks for sharing it here on the barber thread. What other barbers have you found?

Hope everyone has a nice Easter.

Pics for this AM, from Keith's collection:

Vern
    l
  • Options

I was playing UNO Across the street.... the year was 1913 [ lst coin shown was a Buffalo...]

and to think how much trouble I recently had locating an XF 45 .....
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike - Great looking '13 half.

Pics for this weekend, a couple from Doug's stellar barber quarter collection, PC58 and PC53:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I received my most recent PCGS submission back over the weekend; a 3 submissions (standard, crossover, and economy) were processed in just over a week. That's amazing!

My 1892 O 50C came back in a "Damaged" holder. I can't figure it out. I cracked the coin out on an ANACS AU 55 holder:

The rims look fine as well. What am I missing? What's the damage?
  • Options
    Jeff - Just by going off your pics, it looks like there may be multiple small cuts or abrasions on the jaw and neck area? It's hard to tell though without a loupe and rotating the coin under light.
  • Options
    I don't think that's it. I submitted the coin as "Secure"- they provide a gratis image:

There's a very lite scratch in the field under the jaw, but I believe they would have flagged it as a scratch if they thought it was an issue. The other marks pointed out are extremely minor.

I don't see signs of cleaning- just minor circulation. I feel like I'm playing a game of "Where's Waldo".
  • Options
    LucanusLucanus Posts: 424 ✭✭✭
    Jeff, I think a G92 grade - cleaned would be more accurate for your 92-O half. I don't see damage either.

Doug
  • Options
    I took another look at the live coin tonight with a 10X loop- I think the issue is the "chatter" under the chin on the neck. It looks like flow lines, but flow lines don't make much sense there. I need to look at it with a 15X to see if it makes more sense,,,,, image
  • Options

<< <i>I took another look at the live coin tonight with a 10X loop- I think the issue is the "chatter" under the chin on the neck. It looks like flow lines, but flow lines don't make much sense there. I need to look at it with a 15X to see if it makes more sense,,,,, image >>

Those are the marks I was talking about.
  • Options
    Yep, you got it. But what caused the "floe line" looking marks? I haven't seen anything like that before. Is it PMD or not? If it's PMD what would cause it? image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LM - That was neat, thanks for sharing it here on the barber thread. What other barbers have you found?

Eighteen dimes, ranging from slick Fair/Poor details to a couple of nice AU coins. (One cool thing about digging Barber silver is you do have a fair chance of finding those nice XF or better pieces that escaped getting heavily worn like all the ones that remained in circulation.)

Three quarters: 1894-O, 1902-O, 1916-D. The 1894-O has XF+ details but a few porous spots.

One half: 1894-O G/AG-ish.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Jeff - Perhaps those flow lines are when somebody tried to lessen that mark on the jaw.

LM - A good assortment, and the price was right.

Pics for this AM, a couple of good looking newps into Paesan's Stash, both PC55:

Vern
    l
  • Options

Jeff,

I too do not see actual signs of a cleaning, per se. What I see is the appearance of a coin
    whose surfaces do not look natural what so ever. I immediately thought the coin's surfaces
    we're tampered with. JMHO, and I am sure that no mater how hard you look, you won't find
    evidence of a cleaning (in your eyes) but the results are a nice coin for a raw book.

Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Pics for this AM, newp into Keith's raw collection:

And while I'm at it, same date in my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I recently had a few coins come back from grading at PCGS and have purchased a few new graded upgrades for my set. First up a 1894 O PCGS AU 58:

The coin has beautiful color with signs of extremely lite circulation but a few bag marks on the face. The coin replaces a PCGS AU 53 in my set; a coin that's been part of my set for about 35 years. I'm at the point of upgrading where I need to say goodbye to some of my old friends that no longer make the cut........ image
  • Options
    Another recent pickup- a 1895 O PCGS AU 58:

I purchased this coin in a NGC AU 58 holder about 8 weeks ago and submitted it to PCGS for crossover in the current holder. It crossed as the same grade. It's a nice coin except for the shaving cut on the chin.

The new 58 replaces an AU 55 in my set that I purchased from the retired set of Notehunter (Larry) last fall. I didn't have that coin in my set very long! image
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Practicing with my new camera set-up:

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    RegulatedRegulated Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Practicing with my new camera set-up:

What is now proved was once only imagined. - William Blake
  • Options
    Great shots- what camera/ lens are you using? image
  • Options
    Another one of my recent pickups, a 1906 O PCGS AU 58:

I purchased this coin in a PCGS MS 61 holder at a very good price, thinking it looked like it had a bit of rub on the cheek. I cracked it out of the holder and submitted it raw; it came back as a AU 58. I don't think there's any way PCGS would have downgraded the coin if submitted for reconsideration. There's a small scrape on the nose, but otherwise a very attractive coin.

This coin replaces a PCGS AU 53 in my set that I've had about 1 year. Time to part ways for a prettier girl.... image
  • Options
    Jeff - Congrats on the upgrade newps, and the 95-O cross.

David - Nice barbers, and your photographic trials appear to be going very well.

Pics for this AM, from my raw set:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    I love 07-S quarters. One of my top 5 favorite dates.
    Paesan
  • Options
    Another one of my recent pickups- a 1914 S PCGS AU 58:

This coin was purchased in the current holder; I like the color on it. It replaces an AU 53 in my set; a raw coin that I found on eBay a few years ago. Back to eBay it goes.....image
  • Options
    Jeff, You're on a roll!
  • Options

<< <i>I love 07-S quarters. One of my top 5 favorite dates.
    Paesan >>

...... as it is mine as well. I plugged in a VF example to fill the hole
    in my current AU set. When I did my first set, I had no problems finding one,
    however, now, it's near impossible to locate one. To think I had a friend's
    duplicate a couple of years ago - in AU 55 - and actually had trouble
    finding a home for it, just amazes me. He and I are still crying over "spilt milk".

I did locate another 1907 Quarter and its a minor upgrade to what is in my set,
    (Two weeks ago, it was a 1907-P Quarter ) This week it's the 1907-D ....

imageimage
    Mike Hayes
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

New Barber Purchases
  • Options
    Mike- a VEERY nice looking quarter.

A question for the experts out there (yes, that's all of you). I recently purchase a raw Proof 1902 Liberty Nickel:

The bump on the cheek is actually a raised lamination. Is this common on a Proof coin? If I submit it for grading, what will our host do with it? I like the color on the coin and the lamination is interesting.
  • Options
    Mike - Congrats on the good looking 07-D newp.

Jeff - I'm a long way from a proof expert, but I don't think the raised lamination is typical at all. Hard to say what our hosts will do, but I think the originality (?) of the coin will be more of a determining factor for them.

Pics for this AM, newp into Paesan's Stash, PC64:

Vern
    l
  • Options

<< <i>Jeff - I'm a long way from a proof expert, but I don't think the raised lamination is typical at all. Hard to say what our hosts will do, but I think the originality (?) of the coin will be more of a determining factor for them.

<< <i>

Vern-

I'm not sure what you mean by originality; the coin doesn't appear to be cleaned (although there are a few minor hairline scratches under magnification). The toning looks honest to me as well. I do think the coin has been mishandled a bit however.

My question is if I don't submit the coin as an error what will the host do with it? Ignore the lamination? Call it damage with no grade? Acknowledge the lamination?

Another newp for my collection; this time a 1908 S PCGS AU 58:

This coin replaces the AU 50 in my set, already purchased by Tyler. Even though I've upgraded 5 coins this week to 58's it's surprising to see how little impact the upgrades had on my registry score.
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"And now for something completely different", as Monty Python used to say... image

(Not the nicest I've dug, or even the nicest 1912, but the only Barber coin I've dug with video rolling.) >>

That's really cool! I enjoyed watching the video too. image
  • Options
    Jeff - Congrats on another newp. My thoughts on originality were based on the overall color, and the obv cloudy areas at 3 and 5 o'clock. But judgements based on pics are never the best.

Pics for this AM, a couple of my nickels, PC58 and 63:

Vern
    l
  • Options
    My recent raw Liberty Nickel purchases came back graded from our host. First up a 1903 5C PC MS 64:

Next up, a 1905 5C PC MS 63:

As Mike previously pointed out, the reverse appears to have PMD on the reverse at the 1:00 rim. Did our host miss it or decide it wasn't significant?

Next, a 1906 5C PC MS 62:

And last, a 1911 5C PC MS 64:

Overall I'm pleased with the results. Maybe I'll work on a set of Liberty Nickels.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file