Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Basketball HOF Rookies Thread###################################

Comments

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭
    That's BS. Did you e-mail PSA about it? Oscar Schmidt belongs in the HOF Players set, not the HOF RC set. And '86 Merchante is his rookie card, not '87 (or is it '88?) Panini.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    What is the reasoning behind not including Schmidt in both sets? Is there a policy regarding foreign players who did not play in the NBA? It seems to me that all HOF'ers with legitimate cards from their playing days should be included in the set.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    PSA has already corrected this error.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    That is good. I did not email. Schmidt should be in the HOF players set so that makes sense.

• Options
    I e-mailed them and it was corrected within hours.
  • Options
    Can someone explain why Schmidt was excluded? This is not the NBA HOFers Rookie Set, or is it?
    I can understand excluding old timers who never had an actual card issued, but why the legitimate, foreign HOFers who have cards issued during their playing career?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I am not exactly certain why the basketball set does not include RC's from the foreign players. My only guess is that when the set was first created and submitted that the person who asked for the set did not know the Rc's of the foreign players. Also, all of the RC's listed are from North American sets so Petrovic and Sabonis are in the set because they played in North America but their card listed is their first NBA card not their true RC.
  • Options
    I believe you're correct, Albie. I think the set is for mainstream cards only, which excludes many of the foreign issues. Doesn't bother me much as I just drop the foreign cards into the HOF players set.
  • Options

<< <i>I e-mailed them and it was corrected within hours. >>

Thanks. I just picked up both the 86 Spanish Mercantile and his 87 Panini. Will be curious to see what they grade.
  • Options

<< <i>Thanks. I just picked up both the 86 Spanish Mercantile and his 87 Panini. Will be curious to see what they grade. >>

I have two '86 Merchantes at PSA that should be popping any day now.
  • Options

<< <i>Stern was elected by the contributors committee. Also directly elected to the Hall: Lithuania star Sarunas Marciulionis (by the international committee), former Pacers coach Bob "Slick" Leonard (ABA committee), former Knicks player Nat Clifton (early African-American pioneers committee) and former Temple star Guy Rodgers (veterans committee). >>

The lastest HOFers. I am guessing that Leonard will not be added to the players set but the others will.

<< <i>Alonzo Mourning, Tim Hardaway, Mitch Richmond, Kevin Johnson and Spencer Haywood >>

Apparently, these 5 guys are finalists. Wonder if any of them will get in.

• Options
    Per the HOF site, Clifton was elected as a contributor, not a player. So he won't be added to the HOF rookies set. Rodgers and Sarunas were already added.
  • Options

<< <i>Apparently, these 5 guys are finalists. Wonder if any of them will get in. >>

All deserving finalists IMO. I think Hardaway and Haywood have the best shot, followed by Richmond, KJ and Zo. If it were up to me, I'd put 'em all in.
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Good thing sweet water is a contributer. Good luck finding a hi
    grade of him.

The ABA selection caught me by complete surprise.

One sport that recognizes a short career is BK...maybe Zo has a chance.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options

<< <i>The ABA selection caught me by complete surprise. >>

The ABA committee is looking more and more like the Pacers committee. Yeah, they were a great team, but 3 Pacers in a row? Come on. There are deserving players from other teams (Calvin, Dampier, Beaty to name a few). What's more puzzling is that of the three Pacers to get in already, McGinnis wasn't one of them. Huh? I can't argue with when Daniels got in, but Brown and Leonard ahead of McGinnis? No way that should have happened.
  • Options
    shagrotn77 - Thanks for the information. Why is Marciulionis RC listed as only 1990 Fleer on the registry- should Skybox and Hoops not be included? Also, does anybody know what is Marciulionis earliest European "card"?
  • Options

<< <i>Also, does anybody know what is Marciulionis earliest European "card"? >>

I "think" it's a tie between these two:

Panini A

Panini B

One's listed as '87 and the other as '88, but I think the '87 might actually be an '88 as well.
  • Options
    I sent this Marciulionis in years ago. It's still the only one graded from this issue:

Should easily have been a 9 or a 10, but not a big deal given the scarcity.
  • Options
    Does anyone have a low grade Oscar Robertson RC for sale or trade? I have cash and HOF RC's from all sports available.
  • Options
    Does anybody know anywhere I can find a list for all of the European HOF RC's?

I was pleased that PSA put the Marciulionis RC to a vote for the registry. Surprising that 1990 Fleer was the card of choice. In the long run, I guess it does not really matter as none of the three cards are tough to find. I would have thought that Skybox would have been the preferred choice.

• Options
    Andy ????????

chim in here...u r e expert
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    I don't know if there's a list floating around, Albie, but Dave Back is the person I usually defer to. At one time he had quite an impressive collection of European RCs, and they're still available for viewing on his Web site:

Site A

Site B

Just a guess, but I think Vlade Divac and Nick Gallis will be the next two International inductees. This is Divac's Euro rookie (purchased from Dave):

• Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    Stern, Mourning, Richmond lead 2014 Naismith Hall of Fame class

link
  • Options
    The only first-year eligible player with a chance at induction next year is Dikembe Mutombo. He makes for an interesting case. Given how dominant he was on the defensive end, I think he'll get in (see Wes Unseld or Dennis Rodman). I'm just not sure it'll happen on the first ballot. I think all of the finalists who fell short this year (Haywood, KJ and Hardaway) deserve to get in, so hopefully we can see two or three of them get the call in '15.
  • Options
    Andy - Thanks for the info. Dave sent me a Gallis many years ago, and he mentioned him as a future HOFer.

I am guessing they will use 1989-90 Fleer for the Richmond rookie card and 92-93 Upper Deck for Mourning.
  • Options
    I believe that's correct, Albie. Both of those cards are straight from the Future HOF set (which does have some issues, but not for these 2).
  • Options
    Does anyone want to do some trading with this set?

I have doubles, plus cards from all other sports and non-sports that I will trade towards it.

gregmo32@aol.com or PM if interested...
  • Options
    I have a PSA 9 and a PSA 10 1990 Fleer Sarunas Marciulionis for sale, as well as a PSA 6 1988 Panini Marciulionis if anyone is interested.
  • Options
    BPorter26BPorter26 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone where you can find a list of the first ballot inductees? I found this on the net, but it doesn't include Gary Payton from last year or Mourning from this years class. Any help would be appreciative.

Bob Cousy
    Ed Macauley
    George Mikan
    Andy Phillip
    Elgin Baylor
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
    Charles Barkley
    Larry Bird
    Bill Bradley
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Clyde Drexler
    Alex English
    Julius Erving
    Patrick Ewing
    John Havlicek
    Elvin Hayes
    Magic Johnson
    Michael Jordan
    Jerry Lucas
    Karl Malone
    Moses Malone
    Kevin McHale
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Robert Parish
    Bob Pettit
    Scottie Pippen
    Oscar Robertson
    David Robinson
    Bill Russell
    John Stockton
    Isiah Thomas
    Bill Walton
    Jerry West
    "EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY IT SAYS IT RIGHT THERE ON THE WALL" - JACKIE MOON
  • Options
    Silly question Bobby, but couldn't you just add Payton and Mourning to the list? image Maybe it's just a few years old.
  • Options
    What is KAWHI LEONARD's best RC for registry purposes?
    I see a lot of auto cards and serial #s under 999.
  • Options

<< <i>Silly question Bobby, but couldn't you just add Payton and Mourning to the list? Maybe it's just a few years old. >>

Andy, maybe I didn't ask the right question. The list I posted is that correct on all the first ballot inductees? It was dated 1-12-11 and it wouldn't include Payton or Mourning. I might tackle collecting first ballot basketball HOFers.

Thanks
  • Options
    I did a search for first-ballot basketball HOF'ers, but came up empty. The list you provided looks like it may be right, but I don't know for sure. Hard to believe that guys like Ricky Barry and Maravich didn't go in right away.
  • Options

<< <i>Hard to believe that guys like Ricky Barry and Maravich didn't go in right away. >>

I totally agree

Here's the link I found. Barry and Maravich went in 2nd year of eligibility

Hall of Fame list from 2011
  • Options
    GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    Hi all its been awhile since I opined on this thread but was reading some of the comments and just wanted to toss in my take on some of the usual head spinners the secretive voters for the Basketball HOF have neglected to do in the past few years.

1. Spencer Haywood: What's up with this guy that he is tortured every year by this committee (Especially that fiasco where he was in than 24 hours later out again/What a joke). They rumors are that the NBA is pissed at him for bringing them to court way back when, but Connie Hawkins also went after them after he was banned and he is in. Than his documented bouts with drugs are also said to be a issue, but David Thompson has been in for years. Look give this guy a break and elect him in 2015.

2.Max Zaslofsky. Every year that passes by and as the Veteran's committee is now pinpointing their selections on 50's (Richie Guerin)-60's (Guy Rodgers) in the last two years which I have no problem with but they need to get Max in next year or he will be left behind. In the infancy of the league (1946) he was along with Fulks one of the best scorers on the floor. In my opinion electing him in 2015 will close the door on that era and allow the committee to concentrate on the late 50's early 70's.

3. George McGinnis. Alright I know its been a Pacers Party the last 3 years (Mel Daniels/Roger Brown/Slick Leonard) but Big George despite his NBA crash and burn was a monster in the ABA and split an ABA MVP with the Doc. Look if they bypass him again than Zelmo Beaty, Charlie Scott, Willie Wise who amongst others are strong candidates would get in but none of them were an MVP (I know neither was Roger Brown but he is an exception because I saw him play years ago and he would have probably been a TOP 50 player had he the opportunity to play in the NBA.

Last but not least in the Contributor Category lets please elect Red Klotz (Google his name if you don't have a clue) for his contributions to the sport.

Take care all and hope to see you at the NCC in Cleveland
    Art
  • Options
    Good points all around, Art. I agree that McGinnis is way overdue to get in. I wouldn't say he crashed and burned in the NBA since he was a 3-time All-Star. He just wasn't as productive as he was in the ABA. Then again, who was? Given the string of Pacers who've gotten in recently, I think he may have to wait a little while longer. Beaty, Calvin, Dampier and Scott would all be good choices. As for Zaslofsky, I'm not that high on him, but I know a lot of people are. My vote for the next Senior Committee selection would go to Willie Naulls. And yes, put Haywood in already!
  • Options
    Hey Art! Glad to see you posting, and great additions to your sets, they look awesome!
  • Options
    cardbendercardbender Posts: 1,831 ✭✭
    Why is Chet Walker in the HOF and not Bobby Dandridge? Same era, same quality of career.
    Dandridge has two rings, one for Chet the Jet. It's hard to believe the late Lou Hudson isn't
    elected yet either. One of the greatest shooters in NBA history.

Why isn't Sidney Moncrief in yet either. Second greatest Milwaukee Bucks player ever.
    He did everything well. One of the best rebounding guards under 6'4", was all NBA first/second team
    for five straight years, during the Magic Johnson, Isiah Thomas, and Jordan years.
    Five straight all-star games. NBA def. player of the year twice as a guard!

Yes, Zaslofsky is clearly deserving from the early NBA years.

The Basketball HOF blows.
  • Options
    Dennis Rodman opened the door for Defensive specialists in the Hall. Along with Moncrief you also have to find a place for Bobby Jones.The Veterans committee is allowed only one candidate per year so as I said before get Max Z in 2015 and off the top of my head besides the two you mentioned they can consider; Jo Jo White, Bob Love, Paul Silas etc.
    Let me throw out some players who I don't know if they will or deserve to get in and see what you guys think.
    Tom Chambers
    Kevin Johnson
    Shawn Kemp
    Robert Horry
    Paul Westphal
    Chris Webber
    Take care all
    Art
  • Options
    From your list I like KJ and Webber. Westphal wouldn't be a bad choice either.
  • Options
    You hit the nail on the head with Dandridge and Hudson, Rich. Two pretty glaring oversights. With a dearth of first-time HOF'ers coming up over the next few years, there should be room to right a lot of wrongs.
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    It's a glaring oversight that Jo Jo White has not been elected to the Hall. He was a seven time all-star, Finals MVP, and one of the Celtic all-time greats, although he missed out on the Russell years. His teams won two NBA titles, and he was an integral part of each one.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    There are at least a dozen guys mentioned just on this page who are deserving HOFers.
  • Options
    I never hear him mentioned as a possible HOF'er, so I'm probably in the minority on this, but I'd put Mark Aguirre in. Career 20 ppg scorer, won 2 championships and was the College Player of the Year. The downside is that he only made 3 AS Games, but I can't fault him for that. Plus he traded away probably 3 ppg for his career by taking a lesser role and winning consecutive championships with Detroit.
  • Options
    First I'm glad to see some knowledgeable BK fans here. Probably most know more than me.

I agree on Mcginnis and Haywood. Enough time to make them wait. Agree with Rich on Lou Hudson

He's my next Veterans choice. Been the veteran's choice before once I believe. Willie Naulls would be a good choice as a sleeper.

I have heard on a few old BK sports shows about Zaflosky and saw film highlights of guys from that era.....Max is deserving as well.

Maybe get him in first to close the decade.........I agree.

As far a ABA guys....louie, Zelmo and Mack are good candidates....louie first. After that I thing it's a stretch to get true HOF candidates.

Not the hall of very good. Too bad that the number one enemy of Marvin Barnes was Marvin Barnes.

He sure had HOF talent. Many of the sportswriters of the time would say he would outplay Dr. J in head to head match-ups.

Aguire doesn't ring a bell as a hofer to me but stats aren't everything.

I remember Jo Jo being a major star back then. Sad to see his RC going so cheap.

Gentleman, if you are not sure who's a hofer....just refer to the future RC HOF set.

maybe it's time to split he set into Senior/modern like Football.

1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    I find this site helpful as a reference:

link
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I never hear him mentioned as a possible HOF'er, so I'm probably in the minority on this, but I'd put Mark Aguirre in. >>

I'll get in that line.
  • Options
    Our thread is the topic of an article in the new SMR

SMR Article
  • Options
    What a pleasure looking at all that high end cardboard.

When the name is on the flip..it has to be a sensational collection.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Does anyone want to do some trading on this set? I have extra vintage and modern to help you fill in some holes. What do you have for trade?
    PM or gregmo32@aol.com if interested.