Comments

• jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    just curious...as to why 5 votes is the cut off line
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I simply went with the majority. That, too, is open for discussion..

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭✭
    I am absolutely thrilled that A.D. FINALLY got his due. Woo hoo! Ewing, Olajuwon and Riley were no-brainers. Dickie V. made it too.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    All 5 were no-brainers in my eyes. Well done all the way around. DJ might get it next year, who knows.
  • aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I now need a PSA 8 or 9 Dantley rookie. Anybody have one for sale?
    There's a Dantley 9 on eBay right now. The price is right IMO.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
    I have a couple extra dantley 8's
    bothe centered within 60/40 or better.
    not sure what they go for.
    jay
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    Jay - PM sent
    It is certainly not like Baseball. Dantley and Riley still have very few rookie card listings on ebay. Anybody have a PSA 7 Pat Riley they want to sell?
  • Which is the Riley rookie? Topps 71?

Hey guys - what is the best Chris Paul rookie if he ends up in the HOF - Topps Chrome? SP something or other?
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
    Hall of Famers from all 4 sports
  • NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Good news - I emailed with a PSA employee yesterday. They will be adding the 2007 and 2008 inductees to the Basketball HOF set this week, and taking a poll as to what cards should be added (for the guys on whom it's not immediately obvious) for the Basketball HOF rookie set.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    riley's rc is a 1970 topps. he has a 1968 jack in the box that pre-dates his rc.

I have an extra psa 9 and psa 10 JITB riley...if anyone is interested...before I put them on ebay.

jay
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    Having bought a 10 today, I have a PSA 9 Petrovic Skybox rookie for sale if anyone's interested. $10 delivered.
  • gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Does anyone have any info on how much it would cost to complete this set in various conditions? (ie SMR for PSA 7 would be...).

Any help would be appreciated!
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Anyone know what gives on adding the new inductees to the Registry rookie set? They are listed but I can't link my cards to the listings.
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets

<< <i>Anyone know what gives on adding the new inductees to the Registry rookie set? They are listed but I can't link my cards to the listings. >>

I'm having the same problem.
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    I just came back to it and was able to add them.
  • Mine finally loaded too...
    C56, V252, V128-1 sets
  • ZBobZBob Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Start With Jordan,Robinson & Stockton This Year. Next Year Malone,Miller & Cooper.

• << <i>Good news - I emailed with a PSA employee yesterday. They will be adding the 2007 and 2008 inductees to the Basketball HOF set this week, and taking a poll as to what cards should be added (for the guys on whom it's not immediately obvious) for the Basketball HOF rookie set.

Nick >>

Bump on this thread. What happened to this "proposed" future basketball HOF rookie set?
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain" - Apostle Paul - Philippians 1:21
    Austin All The HOF Basketball Sets Are Current Aside From Basketball Hall Of Fame Auto's Players/Coaches & Admin. Only Missing 2008. About 3 Weeks From Now The Finalists For Election Into HOF Will Be Posted.The First Week In April Will Be The Final Word On Who Gets In.
    2009 Basketball Hall Of Fame.My Take IMO (1) Bob Hurley Should Go In As Contributor In 2 Years. (2) David Robinson IN. (3) Dennis Johnson 80% 1 Of The Top Most Underated Players. (4) Al Attles Contributor IN. (5) Don Nelson Coach IN. (6) Chris Mullin Player 85%. JORDAN IN... (8) Bernard King Should Go In With D.J. (9) John Stockton IN. (10) Jerry Sloan Coach THE Original Bull IN. (11) Cynthia Cooper Player IN. (12) Stringer Coach 60%. (13) Kondrashin Coach 50%. (14) Periera Player 85%+ We Have A Queen Marcari From Brazil We Need A King. (15) Guerin Player IN. (16) Red Kerr Contributor IN. ZBOB
  • recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    It would be nice to see Johnny Red Kerr get in.
  • fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    I would hope that Jordan, Stockton and Robinson are the only male players elected this year. Putting a marginal HOFer in with those 3 just wouldn't feel right.
    No surprises in this year's election. Jordan, Stockton and Robinson are elected.
    Who are the first-time eligibles next year? Is Pippen one? I'm thinking one of D.J. or King could sneak in next year, with Mullin being more of a longshot.
    Jerry Sloan and C. Vivian Stringer (Rutgers women's coach) were the other 2 elected.

IMO Tara VanDerveer (Stanford women's coach) is the most likely non-NBA person to be elected next year.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
    ~"Who are the first-time eligibles next year? Is Pippen one?"~

Scottie Pippen and Karl Malone are the biggest names, I think.
    Those are two pretty big names. Are Reggie Miller and Payton eligible for the first time the following year?
    ~"Are Reggie Miller and Payton eligible for the first time the following year?"~

Reggie Miller is eligible in 2011 and Gary Payton is eligible in 2013.
  • Does anyone know how long it usually takes to add the new Basketball HOF Inductees-to-be cards to the Basketball HOF Rookies Set Registry? Will Jerry Sloan's rookie card be added to the Composite along with Jordan, Stockton, and D. Robinson since Sloan has most of his notoriety as a coach - or were his player contributions as "The Original Bull" enough? Maybe Sloan didn't need to dribble a basketball at all to be in the set if coaches qualify for inclusion.

As far as whom should be nominated for future HOF classes, there are too many names mentioned above. Keep it exclusive, keep it special. There are other ways to honor a player - number retirement, a team Honor Roll, a tribute night, a team HOF, etc.
  • GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭
    I for one was very disappointed by the exclusion of Dennis Johnson. He has been up for election I believe for 5 years now and every time he falls short. The Hall of Fame player that he most resembles is Joe Dumars but his nomination to the hall should have come after Dennis was already in. Anybody that even has a passing interest in Basketball could have checked off a ballot for MJ,Stockton and the Admiral and I will give the HOF voters a nod on Sloan and Stringer both long overdue. But as I have said in the past who are these people voting and why is it so secretive? The powers that be in the NBA have to step up and establish their own HOF similar to Football. If they dont players such as DJ will continue to be pushed to the back of the list of yearly canidates. These men in their era went up against the best players in the world and should be recognized for their pro accomplishments.
    ~"Does anyone know how long it usually takes to add the new Basketball HOF Inductees-to-be cards to the Basketball HOF Rookies Set Registry? Will Jerry Sloan's rookie card be added to the Composite along with Jordan, Stockton, and D. Robinson since Sloan has most of his notoriety as a coach - or were his player contributions as "The Original Bull" enough? Maybe Sloan didn't need to dribble a basketball at all to be in the set if coaches qualify for inclusion."~

I do not think the players will get added to the registry set until after induction day. Sloan will not be part of the set. While there is an autographed set for players/coaches and administrators that totals in the 275 range, there is only a players set currently on the registry. I am surprised nobody has asked for a complete HOF set like there is for hockey and for the basketball autographs.

The Basketball HOF set (not the rookies set) includes John Wooden, but not coaches such as Pat Riley, Phil Jackson, Red Auerbach, etc.

Since it includes female and international players, we need to get the NBA coaches and contributors added to it.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Nick - The HOF player set includes Wooden because he was elected as a player in 1960. He was elected as a coach in 1972.
  • I guess we're still waiting until after induction for the latest list of inductees' cards will be added to this Set Registry Composite - which I guess would include Jordan, David Robinson, Stockton, and perhaps Jerry Sloan.

It looks like lots of the Basketball HOF RCs that I track have experienced strong sales. I am often outbid on the 1948 Bowman, 1957 Topps, 1961 Fleer, and 1969 Topps HOF RCs.
  • GOODLIEUGOODLIEU Posts: 629 ✭✭

<< <i>I guess we're still waiting until after induction for the latest list of inductees' cards will be added to this Set Registry Composite - which I guess would include Jordan, David Robinson, Stockton, and perhaps Jerry Sloan.

It looks like lots of the Basketball HOF RCs that I track have experienced strong sales. I am often outbid on the 1948 Bowman, 1957 Topps, 1961 Fleer, and 1969 Topps HOF RCs. >>

Everyone of those sets are hot right now, especially the 1957 Topps with prices that are at a all time high. Basketball vintage cards are truly hitting their stride.
  • Hello everyone. I am trying to get a 1988 Dennis Rodman PSA 10 and that got me thinking of whether or not he has a shot at the HOF. His offensive numbers are awful but his defense was probably the best in the NBA among big men for a number of years. He also won a couple of titles. Seeing that Dennis Johnson can't seem to make it I would think he has no shot but then again maybe they will take his personality into account. What do you guys think?
  • By the way, does anybody have a 1977 Topps Adrian Dantley PSA 9 or PSA 10 that you don't mind selling?
    Hi Racer. I think Rodman has a slim shot at the HOF, but it's very thin. I'd say maybe 25%. I do think DJ will get in in the next year or 2. No way he was going in with this year's crowded class. As for a Dantley 9, they're pretty common and cheap. You should be able to get one for $40 or less. I had mine ready to go forever until he FINALLY got in. I think he was the biggest HOF snub we've had for years.
    andy actually the pop is only about 26 and that makes the dantley one of the rarest psa 9's out there for cards after 1970.
    One has not been up for auction for over a year.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    I didn't realize it had been that long. Still no more than a $50 card.

• << <i>andy actually the pop is only about 26 and that makes the dantley one of the rarest psa 9's out there for cards after 1970.
    One has not been up for auction for over a year. >>

Yup
    I can see the next one going for over $100

Seems anytime a card doesn't go for auction for a while, the price goes higher then it probably should.

Like the 1976 Topps David Thompson, that goes for over $200 these days.
    Looking for in PSA graded
    1. 75-76 Topps Keith/Jamaal Wilkes in Psa 8+
    2. 1971-72 Trio stickers PSA 8+
    3. BSKB 1977-78 topps psa 10

Basketball Autos
    1992 Courtside Flashback
    Action Packed HOF Autos(need elvin hayes,both bill bradley,and the 1st bill walton)
    2001 and 2005 Greats of the Game
    UD=retro,epic,legends,legendary,generations and chronology
    2006 Topps Style 1952 Fan Favorites Autos #/10 (Refractor Autos)
    Press Pass Legends
    Is anyone interested in trading extras on this set?

For example, I have several doubles, like

Parish PSA 8
    McHale PSA 8
    Stockton PSA 9

that I would be glad to trade for similar cards that I don't have in my set.

Anyone got any to trade?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
    If the Stockton 9 is dead centered I'd be interested.

Has anyone requested the new additions to the BK HOF set? It's been 3 months since the new class was announced. PSA needs to get on the (basket)ball with this.
    I have three of the Stocktons and could send you the best centered of the three. They are all PSA 9 NQ. Do you have any RC's to trade that I might not have?

• Here are a couple pickups in recent weeks. Frankly, they were kind of "accidental pickups" from "feeler bids":

Of late my focus is on football cards, with the occasional baseball pickup. For some reason, I just can't get motivated for basketball cards outside of basketball season anyway. Nonetheless, I was happy to win them and these Set Registry additions will help me limp along.

The Wilt was scooped up for a song, probably because the scan was unclear. It was a risk that paid off. I liked the Phillip for the color and print. It's paradoxical that more popular sports like baseball and football have B & W 1948 Bowman issues, while the basketball cards are colored.

nice card of Phillip.
  • Bringing some life back to this thread...let's see some more scans!! image