Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Official Basketball HOF Rookies Thread###################################

Comments

• Options
    fujfuj Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like somebody has some E-XL Sabonis cards he wants to sell! image Seriously though, SP is DEFINITELY the key Sabonis rookie. I've tracked this for a while in anticipation of his induction. The Garnett comparison is a good one. Garnett SPs routinely outsell E-XLs. SPs are also priced higher in Beckett ($75 vs. $40 per box). And, as previously mentioned, SPs are more condition sensitive. The reason there have been so many more SPs graded than E-XL is because SP is more valuable and desirable. This vote should really be a slam dunk for SP. >>

LOL! No, I am not the owner of either of the 2 PSA 10 E-XL Sabonis RCs that exist. Unfortunately, I don't have any of the graded SPs either. I am not a fan of the E-XL cards but I do think they are more limited in supply than the SP from that particular year. I guess that probably might not ever translate into demand however.
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    overall i find the basketball hof an interesting thing. the idea to include all the sport is a good thing but also a bad thing.

right now for many of the women in the HOF it is more based on college careers, though the WNBA has staying power so in the future it just wont be college. but college coaches in too, isnt there a college basketball HOF? i also dont know what to think about having globetrotters in there. i understand back in the day many were left out of the nba due to race but that eneded well over 50 years ago. as for the europeans...unless they were hiding behind the iron curtain why didnt they make to the nba sooner?

i clearly dont follow basketball like i do football, but the list of this years selections is quite perplexing.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>i clearly dont follow basketball like i do football, but the list of this years selections is quite perplexing. >>

Without a doubt the most surprising thing about this year's election was that fact that a few of the enshrinees weren't even named as finalists! When the names were released a while back, Gilmore, Tatum and Sabonis were not on the list (Sabonis was named as a semifinalist - the other 2 were not). I was shocked. Furthermore, Gilmore was supposedly not even eligible again until next year after failing to garner votes 5 years in a row. I'm very happy he got in as he was a glaring omission - just surprised at how it went down. Based on this year's results, I think we can now expect to see an ABA player and an old-time vet elected without any announcement as to who the finalists are for those spots.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    DavemriDavemri Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    I dont collect basketball anymore but I just wanted to agree with Andy on the SP Sabonis. It "should" be a slam dunk but you never know......

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭
    Local player Jimmer fredette was named the AP college player of the year.
    He lives about 1 hour north of me. However I rarely care about college sports. Yes I get excited about some local teams...but
    for college coaches and players making the HOF. IMO ridiculous.

Many college players are great and then hit the pros.......nothing. Do they deserve HOF status? IMO no way.
    Most college wins as a coach. Give me a break.
    This year they bypassed the veterans committe selection chet walker and placed someone else on the ballot.
    What? I agree with Andy. Why even have finalists then.
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    I agree. I think it's time for the creation of the NBA hall of fame. Long overdue IMO....

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    ZBobZBob Posts: 102 ✭✭
    Jerry Colangelo, chairman of the Hall of Fame's board, said four others will be elected directly into the hall representing four categories: African-American pioneers before the mid-50s, veterans, the defunct American Basketball League, and international.

• Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Does Edwards have a RC in 1994 Flair USA? The Set registry lists the rookie as 2003 WNBA Ultra.
  • Options
    Yes, she has an flair RC that should be used

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Totally agree on the Edwards. I was very surprised by PSA's decision, but they are standing by it (I know because I e-mailed about it). Supposedly Edwards' '03 card is recognized as a 'rookie' even though it came out 9 years after the Flair. I think the rationale is that Edwards was playing professionally in the WNBA in '03. Oh well. At least they get it right more times than not.
    "My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Andy - Did the choice of Edwards card come to a vote or did PSA just decide to make it the 2003 WNBA card? I do not remember seeing a vote if that is the way they went.
  • Options

<< <i>Andy - Did the choice of Edwards card come to a vote or did PSA just decide to make it the 2003 WNBA card? I do not remember seeing a vote if that is the way they went. >>

When the HOF'ers were announced I sent the list to Gayle ('72 Topps Gilmore, '86 Fleer Mullin, '88 Fleer Rodman, '94 Flair Edwards and '95 SP Sabonis). I was told that the Sabonis required a vote and the Edwards Ultra would automatically be the choice. I tried, to no avail, to plead my case that the Flair came out 9 years in advance of the Ultra, and it is one of many '94 Flairs that are considered HOF rookies. Maybe if we make enough noise they'll bring it to a vote, but I didn't come away hopeful of that.
  • Options
    recbballrecbball Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭
    They go by beckett for RCs and that's it.

Edwards Beckett link
  • Options
    Hey guys.... I just listed a "TON" of basketball HOF RC's, Pre rookies, and Future HOF RC's on Ebay. Most of them start at 99 cents with no reserve.

CHECK EM' OUT!

Dave

FINISHED 12/8/2008!!!
  • Options
    Looks Nice High End. Just Started My First Showcase Jordan Jersey Cards.The Next One Will Be NBA HOF Rookie Auto Cards.I Think I Have The Best 99.99% Jordan Jersey Set. And The Best NBA HOF Rookie Auto Set.
  • Options
    Sent you an e-mail through PSA, Bob. Let me know if you didn't get it.
  • Options
    I posted a PSA 10 Sabonis and a PSA 9 Edwards on eBay if anyone is interested. Also have a PSA 9 '94 Flair Edwards up there:

BK HOF Rookies
  • Options
    I am selling a 1 of 2 PSA 10 XRC of Teresa Edwards. Just got a couple of 10's back on my last submission and this card is for sale:

$30 shipped if anybody is interested.

• Options
    In keeping with the Teresa Edwards theme, I have a PSA 10 2003 Ultra WNBA Edwards for sale. This is the card that PSA recognizes as Edwards' rookie and has included as part of the HOF rookies set. PM me if interested.

• Options
    Andy - Nice card. Email sent.

I can understand how Edwards RC is listed as 2003 Ultra WNBA. What I cannot understand is how Lynnette Woodard's RC is listed as 1994 Flair when she has a card in 1997 Pinnacle WNBA when she played in the WNBA. Makes no sense. Either both have RC's in 1994 Flair or both should have the WNBA RC's listed.
  • Options
    Makes no sense to me either, Albie. I tried (twice) to get the Edwards Flair card into the HOF rookies set, but I was told that the almighty Beckett recognizes Ultra as her rookie. Thus I was denied. I'd like to see what Beckett classifies as Woodard's rookie.
  • Options
    Goodlieu we miss you. New Players I hope this year.From NBA
  • Options
    yahoo link

Chet Walker gets in from veterans committee, Reggie Miller leads a group of 12 finalists.
  • Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    Mel Daniels was selected to the HOF as a player too (ABA Committee).
    I like the Daniels pick, but I am not a fan of the Chet Walker pick.
    And the Contributor Direct Election Committee selecting Phil Knight of Nike - image

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    Daniels was in my top 3 for aba potential hofers.
    walker had a very solid carear 18 ppg and was decent on the defensive side also.
    I had thought he would have been selected before this year.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Happy for Daniels and Chet the Jet (who was a key member of the '66-'67 76ers, a team many consider the best of all time, and a team that has 3 others starter already in the Hall as players), revolted by Phil Knight and hopeful that Cheeks and Bernard King get their long overdue places in the Hall.

• Options
    I'm on the hunt for a PSA 8 '71 Daniels, and willing to pay handsomely for one.

As for the finalists, I'm pulling for King, Miller and Wilkes. King especially is WAY overdue. Sampson just didn't play long enough. If they're going to put him in (maybe because Walton's in and their careers were very similar?), I wish they'd just do it already. If not, stop naming him a finalist already. And I've looked at Cheeks' stats and accolades up and down, left and right, and I just don't see him as a HOF'er. Not even close to be honest. I kinda get the feeling he's gonna make it this year though.
  • Options
    GDM67GDM67 Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭
    Walton won titles. Ralph was tall.
  • Options
    I would like to see Cheeks get in as well. Why is Daniels so tough to find? He is not a low pop. You would have figured when he was elected there would have been a few RC's come available on ebay like there was with Walker.

• Options
    It's all Jay's fault, Albie. He's the one who listed all the PSA Walker rookies. The least he could have done was hoard some Daniels 8's too! image
  • Options
    andy
    I have been looking for a mel daniels 8 for 2 years now. missed a few. the only daniels I have is the psa 7 you sent in for me tp psa.
    came back a 7...thought it had an outside chance for better.

Big deal on the walker rc's....nobody is willling to pay my overinflated prices. sold just one for $95 and it was very nice. plus a 7 . No other psa 8 has been listed in the 3 weeks.

Now if the guy who bought the 71 boone (need fr my 71 set....he's not a hofer anythime soon) from out from my hands would fess up to his sins and sell it to me

Now to the thread. Now that there is an ABA committee........after haywood, mcginnis,...........Dampier, Lewis Booneand maybe a fe others where are the hofers from this bunch coming from.
    Daniels was a 2x aba mvp and in the leaders stats. I thought he was gonna make it.

Most of the others are really getting to be borderline at best.

if I had an extra Daniles i would let u have it.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    I don't think Haywood will be categorized as an ABA player since he only spent one year in the league. I do think he's an excellent HOF candidate though.
  • Options
    agree probably not.
    many if not most of the aba guys eventually went to the nba.
    category is for guys like daniels who played the bulk of thie carears in the aba and then nba.

kinda like the european bk and russian hk players. by the time they made the move to the big show they were pst thier prime and may have done nothing
    after that.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Okay, with the latest elections - what is Katrina McClain's RC? Also, is Don Nelson listed as a player?
  • Options
    Katrina McClain's rookie is '94 Upper Deck USA #82. Don Nelson got in as a coach, so he won't be in the HOF rookies or players sets.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I did get the survey about McClain's RC,, but I am not sure why it is not automatically the Upper Deck. It is earlier and a well established company. Either way, I need to get one.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    Makes no sense to me either.
  • Options
    1960toppsguy1960toppsguy Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Wilt
  • Options
    Agreed no brainer on this card.
    I voted for the 94..mainly cause someone I know is gonna sell me a 10 real cheap.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    Thanks. I got the survey so I selected 94 as well.
  • Options
    Roger Brown's rookie is 1971 Topps #225. I have asked PSA to put him in the 3 sets (Rookies, Players, Players/Coaches/Admin), and to move Richie Guerin from the Future HOF Rookies set over into the HOF Rookies set as well as putting him in the other 2 sets. I asked for Oscar Schmidt to be put in the 3 sets as well, and indicated his rookie card as 1986 Merchante Spanish #143 (which PSA has graded) - we'll see what they do about the rookie card issue. There's nothing PSA-graded from Edwin Henderson or Russ Granik.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
  • Options
    are these non major card manuf allowed to be considered true rc's

What a surprise roger brown....at least 2 me. I had him maybe in top 5 of the aba list

guerin is no surprise. He's been a senior finalist before.
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
  • Options
    I don't think they will allow an Oscar Schmidt card.
    If Dawn Staley gets in what card are they going to use for her?
  • Options
    Oscar Schmidt will be added the HOF Players set (in which you free to enter any card for the player that you want), but not the HOF rookies set. That's how PSA treats the international players (Meneghin, Belov, etc.).
  • Options
    I believe Staley's RC is 1999 Ultra WNBA. At least that is the card I think PSA will accept.
  • Options
    shag - it was worth a try.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

• Options

<< <i>I believe Staley's RC is 1999 Ultra WNBA. At least that is the card I think PSA will accept. >>

This is correct.
  • Options

<< <i>I believe Staley's RC is 1999 Ultra WNBA. At least that is the card I think PSA will accept. >>

She also has a 1994 Upper Deck USA card that has been used for some of the other ladies.
  • Options
    Okay, now I am really confused. On the HOF RC set Oscar Schmidt is now in the set as 1987 Spanish Panini. He is not listed in the HOF players set.

Is his rookie the 87-88 Spanish Panini? or is it the 1986 Spanish Mercantile that has him as Oscar Smith?